Having a kitchen sink of the wrong size is no less than a mess. Sometimes, you may have to bend too much to wash your utensils in the sink. This may increase the chances of back pain.
At times, you may even notice broken dishes. This could be because your sink gets overcrowded after dropping in a few dishes.
If you belong to any of the categories, as mentioned above, it means that you are having a sink of the wrong size. You may ask what is the standard size for a sink and how do you determine it.
Do not worry! This article is for you. In this write-up, we will learn about the right kitchen size, model, and how to calculate it. Keep reading to know what are the factors to consider for measuring.
Let us get started with the discussion.
What Are The Size Options For A Kitchen Sink?
Are you planning to have a new sink? When it comes to the kitchen sink size, there are multiple size options to choose from. However, it is dependent on your room size. Starting from nine inches in length, you can choose up to 40 inches or more.
The most common kitchen sink size that you can find is 30 or 33 inches. If you want to have a standard size, it ideally falls in the range of 24″ and 36″.
Single Bowl Kitchen Sink
Let us consider sinks having a measurement of 30 inches. For these, you can generally notice a single large bowl. Because of their larger size, you can wash larger pots, pans, and other dishes comfortably in them. Hence, they are ideal for larger families that do a lot of dishes every time.
The single bowl kitchen sinks are available up to 36 inches also. However, the 36-inch sinks are not preferred by many. This is because they mostly come attached to your countertop or may have extra-wide rims.
Double Bowl Kitchen Sink
The next model or variant in the kitchen sinks is the double bowl. As the name says, these sinks come with double bowls. However, they come in the same dimensions as the single bowl. That said, both bowls together will be 30 inches in length. If you want to find each bowl of the same 30-inch-length, that is a difficult task.
Usually, kitchen sinks having a length of 30 inches and beyond contain two or more bowls. The maximum size that you can find in a double bowl sink is about 48 inches.
Triple Bowl Kitchen Sink
The maximum length of a triple bowl kitchen sink is about 60 inches.
While length is the crucial factor, one should never neglect the depth. If the basin’s depth is smaller or larger than it should be, you may face a problem doing the dishes. Similarly, the width of the sink from front to back is yet another vital parameter for consideration.
Deeper or wider sinks are best suitable for those who prefer hand washing the utensils daily.
This allows them enough room to soak the dishes and do their work.
Let us discuss about the depth. Ideally, the depth of sinks falls under the range of 6 inches and 12 inches. Most sinks that we find in many homes are about 7 to 10 inches deep. You can prefer a sink deeper than these measurements, especially if you have larger pots and pans to wash frequently.
However, make sure you are not going for a much deeper version. If you are a short person, you may find it difficult to reach the sink. Let us say you are taller. Even then, you will have trouble bending too much to do the dishes.
If you want to make the most of your sinks, it is advisable to go for one having a zero radius. These sinks usually have sharp corners, that will allow you to put your large utensils in them to fit in the corners. However, these are a little difficult to clean than the sinks having rounded corners.
Are you planning to install a new countertop? You will have multiple size options to choose from. Before getting your counter space customized, it is essential to consider the style and size of your sink. You may choose a single or double basin depending on your preference and requirements. However, remember the fact that a double bowl sink is going to limit the workspace on your countertop.
How Do I Measure For A New Kitchen Sink?
Are you planning to replace your old sink? You might have decided in your mind which style and size to choose. However, before you proceed, it is essential to confirm whether the size fits the existing space or not. How do you do that? Well, this is how you can do.
- Take the measurements of the sink.
- Remove the sink from its place.
- Get the length and width of your sink’s placement space.
- Do not forget to measure how deep the bowl is.
If you are planning to purchase a deeper bowl, you may require many modifications to be made, including the plumbing, countertop, and cabinet.
Let us learn in detail how to measure the kitchen sink size:
Before You Begin:
Even before you get started with the replacement procedure, you need to be aware of the different types of kitchens sinks available. Here is brief information regarding the popular types, i.e., under mount, top mount, and farmhouse sinks.
- Under mount sinks: As the name says, these sinks come installed or mounted below the countertop. The rims of these sinks rest on the top of the counter.
- Top mount sinks: These sinks come mounted on the top of the countertop surface.
- Farmhouse sinks: Also known as apron sinks, these sinks come with an exposed front and a deep basin. You install them either on the top of a free-standing table or even on top of a cabinet.
Now that you are aware of what type to choose, it is now time to take the measurements of your existing sink. This is how you can do:
- As the first step, empty your sink and ensure it is clean.
- Get all the required measurements. You can take them twice to confirm they are accurate.
- Depending on the sink type and style, the installation may vary. Also, there may be slight variations in the measurements taken.
Taking The Measurements:
Let us learn in detail how to measure the kitchen sink size. We will also see some tips when measuring the under mount and farmhouse kitchen sinks.
This is all you need:
- Measuring Tape
- Firstly, take a measuring tape or ruler to measure the edges that rest on the countertop. You may say that you have an under mount model. For measuring such variants, you can measure from the edge of the counter opening.
- Now evaluate the length. Place the measuring tape on the left edge and stretch it across to the right edge of the sink. Note down the measurement.
- Let us move to the width of the sink. Repeat the above process by placing the tape on the back edge of the sink. Stretch it across to the front edge. Note down this measurement, as well.
- The last thing to measure is the depth of the sink. Again, follow the same process by measuring from the top of the sink to the bottom edge. Note down the depth of the sink.
- If it is an under mount sink, you will have to evaluate the height, i.e., from sink to countertop.
- If it is a farmhouse sink, you will have to measure the depth of the exposed front, i.e., from the top edge to the bottom edge. However, this is required only if there are any differences in the depth measurements
Remove the Old Sink and Measure the Cut-out
For taking these measurements, you will have to remove the old sink from its current place. When doing so, there are certain things you need to take care of.
- Firstly, turn down the water connection to the sink by shutting off the water valves.
- Now remove the faucet.
- After removing, disconnect all the drain attachments.
- Finally, remove the sink.
Now that you have your sink removed, let us proceed with taking the measurements for the cut-out.
- As the first step, measure the total width of the sink. All you have to do is take the measurements from side to side and then back to front.
- The corner radius is a crucial part. Be careful when taking these measurements, as the corner and lip of your new sink should be able to fill the smaller gaps.
- If it is an under mount sink, make sure that the cut-out matches the interior measurements of the new sink.
- If it is a top mount sink, make sure there is adequate overlap between the rim of the sink and the countertop.
We recommend using the above methods for measuring your sink. This ensures the most accurate measurements without any confusion. Now that you have the measurements of the sink, finding a kitchen of the right size and perfect fit will no longer be a challenging task.
Other Things to Consider
There are other parameters you need to consider when measuring the sink. Let us take a look at what they are:
The primary factor for consideration is the overall size of your kitchen. If you have a smaller kitchen with less space, opting for a large sink will occupy most of your counter space. That said, you will have less cabinet space. For kitchens with 150 square feet, sinks having a width up to 24 inches are suitable. You do not have to worry about the reduced counter space. You can fix the space issue by using a custom-fit worktop.
You may say that you do not have a space constraint. In such a case, choose a kitchen sink size that is proportionate to the overall kitchen layout. If you opt for a big apron-front sink for a small kitchen, it would overpower the kitchen. Consequently, it may ruin the look of your kitchen. Similarly, if you go for a small sink, it will look tiny in a large kitchen. Although you do not have a problem with the size, it is essential to note that the sink is in proportionate with the kitchen and other elements in the kitchen.
The next crucial factor to consider before choosing the size of a kitchen sink is the frequency of usage and your cleaning style. If you have the habit of piling up the dishes in the kitchen, you might require a larger sink. If you wash the utensils on the go, you will not need a sink of a bigger size. Similarly, if you bake regularly, you will need a larger sink to clean the baking sheets and trays.
You can even go for a sink with a drainboard depending on your requirements. You can wash dishes, and also use it as a prep space when cooking. There is no one-size-fits-all sink. Different kinds of cooks prefer different sink styles. The most commonly used and preferred style in the sink with a large single bowl because of its capacity to accommodate many dishes.
Double bowl sinks are favourable for some others because of their dual functionality. You can wash dishes on one side and dry them on the other side. Similarly, the triple bowl sink also allows washing space, and also a dedicated prep sink. Hence, some other find these sinks very beneficial.
You will have to consider the surroundings, as well, when choosing a sink of the right size. Ensure that your sink is in proportionate with your surrounding elements like a window, cabinets, stove, etc.
You should also take into account other kitchen elements like faucets, countertop accessories, etc.
Let us say, you have a bar at home or host parties frequently, you may prefer a prep sink or bar sink. This helps you prepare food and clean glasses. They are not only decorative but also functional.
I hope this article helped you learn how to determine and measure the size of a kitchen sink. Depending on these measurements, you can choose the right sink size that suits perfectly in your kitchen. Replacing your old sink or installing a new style will no longer be an overwhelming task.
Write to us in the comments section below if you find this article helpful and informative. Let us know if you have any questions or need more information on the same. Do not hesitate to add your inputs to this article or let us know if we missed out on any points.
Your feedback is important to us, and we would love to hear and learn from you.
Stay healthy and stay safe!!!