Rugs are considered as the primary accessory for every decorating style. From classic traditional to bold contemporaries, there are a lot of things to consider before buying the rug. It enhances the beauty of your room by acting as room’s centerpiece and pulls the eclectic elements together into a unified look.
They are not like carpets that used to cover the floor from wall to wall, the rugs are meant to cover a small area / specific area. Choosing a rug is not a simple task, why because it should be stylish, soft, and durable to last longer without shedding. So, one has to keep these 2 main things before buying to get the best one.
Area Rug Size and Placement – One has to purchase the rug as per the space availability in their room. Rugs are a focal point that won’t be too small or too big. Finding the right sized rug will make it fit comfortably. For this, you have to mark the area and measure it properly before buying.
Material – The look, feel and performance of the rug depends on the material used for its making. Natural (wool, cotton, jute, silk, etc.) and synthetic (nylon, olefin, polyester, etc.) are main types of material used for making rugs. So, choose the material wisely by considering placement area and traffic along with your preference.
As a buyer, one should know all about the rug like its types, place to lay it, which material is good and so on, which we have explained detailed in the below Comprehensive Buying Guide along with some best products for you to choose the best with less research and shopping time.
Just go through them to get your best rug that suits perfect as per your requirement.
Too many brands and its product in the market, will confuse most of the people to decide on how and where to get the best products. So, here we are providing you a list of some of the best products available in the India online market (after a thorough research and analysis). Just go through them and buy your best rugs in this 2020, as per your requirement.
Best Rugs In India
|Status Contract Vintage Persian Carpet Rug||Polyester||3X5 feet||Multi-color||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Jai Shri Shyam Rug/Door Mat||Cotton Chindi||90X90 cm (OR) 3 feet round||Multi-color||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Fernish Décor Handwoven Rug||Jute||120 cm (OR) 4 feet round||Beige||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|The Home Talk Cotton and Jute Braided Floor Rug||Cotton & Jute||95 cm (OR) 3 feet round||Multi-color||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|SrHandloom 5D Shaggy Door Mat Rug||Polyester||2X3 feet||Brown||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|HOKIPO Carpets||Black Tribal Aztec||2X3 feet||Cotton||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Saral Home Cotton Multi-Purpose Rugs||Cotton||70X140 cm||Yellow||CHECK ON AMAZON|
7 Best Rugs In India Reviews
1. Status Contract Vintage Persian Carpet Rug Runner
The Status rugs was created to fill the void between affordability and excellent design. This vintage Persian carpet rug runner is made with high quality synthetic polyester yarn material with anti-skid rubber gel form compound. The natural and neutral tones of this rug will make it perfect for casual and formal environments.
The anti-skid latex backing will keep the mat steady in place, even in wet conditions. This non-slip backing is durable and won’t fade with time and thus brings you a peace of mind, while it is used for kids or elders. It is specially designed with resiliency over daily wear & tear, which makes it ideal to use in high traffic areas like living room, bedroom, back door, dining area, playroom, office /commercial places.
The spot clean can be done with a dry cloth or simply vacuum without beater bar. It keeps the floor clean and dry from dust, mud, water, grit, sleet, rain & snow. This rug comes with a size/capacity of 3X5 feet (rectangular shape) with weight of 1.24 kg and comes in multicolor.
Things we liked:
- Protect your feet from cold floor.
- Used as runner carpet for bedroom, runner rug, & floor mat.
- It is soft, strong and durable rug.
- Easy to clean, easy to hold, and easy to maintain.
- Value for money.
Things we didn’t like:
- The fabric used is not soft and a bit thin, which makes the rug is not that much softer.
- A little bit pricey product.
2. Jai Shri Shyam Rug/Door Mat
This cotton chindi rug is a soft and stylish contemporary carpet that brings the uniqueness to overall look of the room. it comes with size / capacity of 90X90 cm (3 feet round) – a small size but good for floor rug. It is a natural chindi carpet that has no chemicals or latex used for its making.
This braided door mat can be washed easily and regular cleaning will definitely extend the life of the rug and maintain its appearance. Prefer to vacuum clean the rug regularly to remove the dirt and thereby to protect the fibers. Rug pad is recommended for this rug.
It is suitable to use in living rooms or sturdy rooms but ideal to use as decorative door mat due to its round shape. It is not that much soft but it is sturdy and durable with excellent appearance. It comes in multicolor and weighs about 481 grams.
Things we liked:
- This rug will add ethnic look to the room due to its round circular shape and colorful design.
- The thick and tightly woven rug will provide a sturdy base and durable to use.
- The built quality is good and it is easy to use and easy to maintain.
- Value for money
Things we didn’t like:
- The size of the rug is too small (looks like a door mat).
- Won’t have anti-skid feature. So, one has to use rug pad to prevent slippery.
3. Fernish Décor Handwoven Rug
This handwoven rug is made with high quality natural jute fiber, which makes it suitable for all seasons and perfect to use for bedrooms, living room, dining room, and home entryways. This braided jute round rug will add a stylish edge to the home without worrying about dust.
The size / capacity of this rug is 120 cm round diameter (4 feet round) and comes in natural jute beige color. It is quite heavy that make it sturdy on the ground, even though not having any anti-skid property. It can withstand in any condition (high, medium or low traffic) and it comes in double sided to use and thereby it can be used for longer life. It has spot clean option only and vacuum it regularly to maintain the rug properly.
Things we liked:
- Easy to hold, easy to use and easy to clean the rug.
- The braided design is always trendy.
- Due to its heavy weight, it stays sturdy on the ground without getting slippery.
- It is meant for heavy duty and can be used effectively in high traffic areas.
- It is a hand woven and looks attractive with its texture.
Things we didn’t like:
- It is not soft rug and tiny strands of this jute will be strewn everywhere.
- A little bit pricey product.
4. The Home Talk Cotton and Jute Braided Floor Rug
It is a braided rug that textured beautifully with subtle coloration to brings a natural and unique looking to any of your living space. This is made with jute and cotton by taking the recycled fabric strips and braided jute. Then they are lined repeatedly to make a long-lasting, reversible and beautiful rug.
It is manufactured in various sizes and colors to suit perfect for your bedroom, living rooms, drawing room, and kitchen. It comes in size/capacity of 95 cm round (3 feet round) with weight of about 1.81 kg. This round shape multicolor rug is constructed by using fine quality material that adds stylish edges to the home without worrying about the stains.
It is easy to clean by using a damp cloth for spot cleaning and dust dry dirt with a dry cloth, but make sure to vacuum clean the rug to extend its longer life.
Things we liked:
- It is sturdy, strong and durable rug.
- Used ideally for high traffic areas without any hesitation.
- It is vibrant and traditional that adds color to boost any of your room.
- These are easy to clean due to its reversible feature
Things we didn’t like:
- It won’t make your feel soft while using this rug.
- It won’t have proper finishing, as the plaits/braids are not uniform and may come out of the shape after a few days of usage.
5. SrHandloom 5D Shaggy Door Mat Rug
This 5D shaggy rug will provide a beautiful touch to the home flooring with its design, elegant and awesome look. This shaggy style carpet is made with synthetic polyester material with cotton backing that makes it thick, soft, durable and anti-skid. It comes with a soft stuff and rich on-trend color to create a super luxurious look to any room.
This modern pattern will make this rug ideal to use in bedrooms and living rooms. They come with perfectly finished edges and long-lasting performance. Vacuum the rug regularly or simply shake it to remove the debris. Avoid soaking or using harsh chemicals to clean the rug. It comes with size/capacity of 2X3 feet with brown color.
Things we liked:
- The built quality of the product is good.
- It looks rich and elegant which enhance the beauty of your room.
- It is soft, strong and durable product.
- Easy to clean and worth buying.
Things we didn’t like:
- The size of the rug is small.
- The strands of this shaggy rug were sparse.
6. HOKIPO Geometric Carpet
HOKIPO, an Indian brand, is engaged in developing and delivering a wide variety of home improvement products. From bathroom mats to kitchen organisers, laundry baskets to pooja mats, they have it all. Their products aim in making our life a lot simpler and easier.
This geometric carpet is crafted from strong and soft natural cotton fibre. The cotton material is durable and easy to maintain as it is machine friendly and is resistant to regular wear and tear.
Its design of tribal and aztec patterns boast of detailed and distinctive craftsmanship . The ends are adorned with hand knotted fringes that add to the beauty of the rug.
The 2 x 3 feet mat complements all types of interiors and finds uses as an entryway mat, in the bed, living room, and more. It sits snugly on the floor and does not skid.
Things we liked:
- High quality cotton rug that is soft, breathable and durable.
- The rug absorbs dust and keeps the floors clean and scratch-free.
- Its abstract design and the hand-knotted fringes are good on the eye and ambient.
Things we didn’t like
- There is no warranty on this product.
7. Saral Home Cotton Multi-Purpose Rugs
Saral Home carpets or rugs will add beauty to your interior décor with high quality mats and best designs by keeping convenience in the mind. This hand-woven rug is made from the premium quality cotton yarn to add softness, comfort and durability. It comes with transitional patterns and vibrant colors to match any of your décor and thereby to give a unique and attractive look to your room.
One can easily use this rug in any of their rooms like living rooms, kitchen, entry way, bathroom, dorm room, and more. It comes with classic reversible design that allow the user to flip this rug any time and extend the washing time and its longevity.
It is easy to clean either by using normal water handwash or machine wash. It is a stain resistant and won’t shed overtime. It is an environmental protection fabric that has anti-fatigue feature. It comes in a size/capacity of 70 X 140 cm with 848 grams of weight and appears in yellow color.
Things we liked:
- It is a hand-woven cotton rug that provides softness, comfort and durability.
- The transitional patterns will add to the look and boost up the overall appeal of your interior settings.
- The reversible feature will allow you to use it in the opposite direction to extend its longevity.
- It is easy to wash and maintain it.
- Value for money
Things we didn’t like:
- The quality of the material is not up to the mark.
Buying Guide for Rugs – How to Choose the Best One:
Generally, rugs provide comfort to your feet and cover to your floor along with enhancing the décor of your room to make it look attractive and beautiful. However, buying a rug that suits perfect to your interior is not an easy task. So, in this buying guide, we help you to decide what will work best in your space. Scroll down to know all about rugs.
Things to Consider before Buying Rugs
Here we have listed some of the main points which the buyer has to take into account before buying the rug to get the fine quality rug for their home.
The construction time and talent of the weaver will decide the quality (texture and appearance) and price of the rug. For instance, to get finest rug, which is hand-woven then it requires specific time period with utmost attention whereas the rug, which is machine-made comes out quickly with the basic technique. Let’s know about some of the common rug types along with its features.
- Hand Knotted – It uses a technique where more labor has to work manually and the weavers tie individual knots to wrap yarns that make the length of rug. Altogether, they form actual pile or surface of the rug. Generally, more knots will make the rug more valuable and durable. There are two types of hand knotted rugs – Asymmetric Knot (Persian/Sennah Knotting) & Symmetric Knot (Turkish/Ghirodes knotting).
- Tufted – These are created by pulling the yarn loops through the backing material of the rug but not with knots. It can be done either by hand-held tool or machine. Here the loops will create a smooth cut-pile surface by shearing. So, less work/strain to produce high quality tufted rugs in a less time and less cost. But they shed more frequently when compared to any other rugs and thereby requires frequent vacuuming.
- Flat Woven – They don’t have a pile but instead the vertical yarns (wraps) of the rug gets woven through the horizontal yarns (wefts). These rugs like Dhurries & Kilims are produced by either machine or hand-made.
- Braided – These are constructed in a variety of ways like cloth braid, banded braid, flat braid and yarn braid construction. They are made with 100% wool and offers a thick look appealing. They are found universal and can be reversible.
Depending on the material used for producing rugs, their look, feel and performance will be decided. Natural and synthetic are main types of material used for manufacturing rugs. So, choose the material wisely by considering placement area and traffic along with your preference.
1. Natural Material :
The most commonly used natural materials are wool, silk and cotton for high end area rugs. They are inherently beautiful, strong and durable that ensures the rug to last for longer time.
- Wool: It is a natural fiber that enhance the rug’s strength, durability, texture, softness, and luxurious look. The woolen rugs will make the room look attractive. It is easy to clean but more prone to shed early than other materials.
- Silk: It is a natural protein fiber that has unique structure to refracts light at different angles and thereby gives the rug a shimmering appearance. It is frequently blended with some other material to make rugs with distinctive softness, strength, and sheen. It is expensive and difficult to clean than other rug fabrics.
- Cotton: It is a natural fiber that is strong and soft and makes a great backing material, which helps to keep the rug in shape by lying flat against the floor. It can absorb dyes easily and thereby allows for various color designs and options. Although, it attracts dust easily but it is easy to clean (machine washable).
- Jute: It provides warm, natural tones and soft texture to give a luxurious and comfortable feel to the user. It is suitable to place in living areas, bedrooms and children’s playrooms.
- Sisal: Weaving rug with sisal will make it durable and natural flooring, this make it ideal to use in high footfall areas. It creates heavy-duty warmth in living / family areas.
- Seagrass Rugs: Roughest natural material that makes it perfect to use in high traffic areas like hallways but less ideal to use in bedrooms and living areas.
- Coir Rugs: It exude warmth due to their comfortable golden hues. These are hardwearing that makes it ideal to use for hallways.
- Synthetic Material – Synthetic material like polyester, nylon, acrylic, polypropylene (olefin) and viscose can also be woven into area rugs. The polypropylene is best substitute for wool and used in high traffic or damp areas due to its stain-resistant, water resistant, durable and easy to clean.
- Polyester: It is good choice for luxurious, colorful and plush rugs that comes with natural fade and stain resistant, strong and crush resistant. It is inexpensive and easy to clean and care.
- Nylon: Perfect for high traffic areas due to its strength and durability. They are highly resilient that won’t wear and matting. It is static free, soft, mildew resistant and easy to clean.
- Polypropylene/Olefin: Used next to nylon in today’s carpet or rug market. it is derived from petroleum products that makes it resistant to any moisture, bacteria, mildew and insect. It is inexpensive, strong, quick drying, lightweight, and easy to clean (use in both indoor/outdoor).
Before purchasing a rug, one has to measure the available space carefully by using a tape. Guessing may result in improper measurements. For best results, the rug placed on the area will has to fit the space along with making the most possible impact. In general, 6 – 18 inches of space existing between rug and the walls. Have a look on some useful tips.
- Dining Room – Choose the rug that extend beyond the chair’s back legs or else the chairs have to wobble on an uneven surface. The dining room uses rug with a common size of 8X10 feet (240X300 cm) but measure the available space first along with the area that comes around the dining table with chairs pulled out to get the best one.
- Living and Family Room – Choose the rug as per your preference, like use the rug for center of the room or a coffee table, as primary focus point (underneath furniture or on its own) and plan outwards from there. Avoid choosing the bigger rug which may pull the other elements of the room together.
- Bedroom – Rugs add softness along with soundproofing to your bedroom. So, choose the rug (at least 15 inches) that fits perfect for the width of the bed (or) in case, if you’re looking for larger one, the simply select the one which covers the space beneath the nightstands as well.
- Kitchen, Foyer & Hallway – Look for round area rug and runners for filling the narrow spaces throughout the home. Measure the available space first to get the rug perfectly fitted on the floor.
3. Rug Color
Choosing the rug color is another key factor to consider, why because it will help to enhance your home décor and interior of the room. Here a few tips that helps you in color selection.
- Dark colored rugs with furniture and walls will make a small room look even smaller whereas the lighter palette will open up the space and make it look attractive and a little bit spacious.
- If you’re looking for a rug that hold up the occasional coffee spill or soil after children playing outside, then go for deep hues / dark colored rugs (hide the messes).
- Avoid using a cream or neutral colored rug for light wood flooring or pale carpet. So, use dark colors for light wood and light colors for dark wood flooring.
- Looking for lavish designs then seek out for hand knotted rug that comes with rich, burgundy damask rug (OR) an indigo dhurrie that look like their dye extracted directly from plants in a lush jungle.
- Searching for a rug with serene coastal shades (OR) rugged mountain tones, then go with the earthy colors. A subtle and neutral palette rug will make it look blank that lets you use the pillows, throws, lamps and other accessories to add color to the rugs and room.
- To create a seamless, unified look, one has to match the rug to their existing accent colors in their room. Also, they have to change out the existing accessories as per the trend or season changes. So, that they can make the room beautiful before and after reveal.
The pattern will be related to the design of rug. So, here are some simple strategies that help you to find the rug pattern that complement the other accessories in the room to make it look attractive.
- If the furniture and walls are neutral, then simply choose a rug with an eye-catching pattern to add some boost and look to the room. Also, try some rug patterns with ornamental details like oriental rugs or paisley or patchwork are rugs.
- In case, if the walls or furniture are colorful or have large print pattern, then try a rug with a subtle, tonal pattern. Or want to find the beauty in simplicity then choose a classically patterned rug in stripes or solids, which help to unify the look without showcase of the design.
5. Rug Styles
Although, there are various styles of area rugs available in the market, in which traditional, contemporary and transitional styles are most common among them. The style of rug chosen will create the look of the rug and thereby overall appearance of the room.
- Traditional/Oriental rugs features beautifully ornate patterns with scrolls, medallions, animal or flower motifs. The color palette is extensive that range from Aubusson soft pastels to rich reds, golds and blues of Serapi. Always, the traditional rugs will bring timeless elegance to any space.
- Contemporary and transitional style rugs come in various colors and patterns that include floral, solid textural, and geometric. The contemporary rugs provide a muted foundation and backdrop for modern art or furnishings (OR) make bold with patterns. The transitional rug will bring a highly traditional furnishings (OR) add warmth to the modern space.
6. Rug Borders & Runners
The colorful borders create and impact a colorful rug itself and the colorful rug border will introduce the bold colors to natural rugs. The same style will be applied here and all you need is to choose the border that matches your furniture or else simply pick a bold color that compliments the key pieces.
Runner rugs are long and narrow rugs that are suitable to place on landing, staircases, narrow hallways, bedrooms, kitchen, bathroom in front of sink and at the home entrance. The rugs and runners won’t match exactly and you have to choose the complimentary colors and patterns to create unity.
7. Tips for proper maintenance
Follow these simple tips to take proper care and maintenance of the rugs and thereby to extend their longevity.
- The tightly constructed rugs with denser pile and coarse yarns will wear well even under the constant usage.
- Always, prefer to use a high-quality rug pad to enjoy comfort and protection against its wear.
- Its best to choose a high resilience fiber to minimize the matting and evidence of wear.
- Avoid shaking or beating the rugs. Also, avoiding pulling the loose threads of the tufts or yarns and use scissors to cut down properly to the pile height.
- It is suggested to rotate the rug (180-degree) annually to cover all the sides and to ensure even wear.
- Never ever place the potted plants directly on the rug.
- Cover your windows properly to prevent the damage caused to rugs by direct sun exposure.
- Vacuum the rug regularly to remove the dirt on its surface from filtering down into pile.
- Clean all spills immediately and avoid using bleach or soap. For this, absorb the spill with paper towels gently dabbing from the end towards the center to prevent the spill from spreading.
- If there are any stains that are not removed with water and gentle dabbing, then simply call professional to remove the stain.
- Depending on the traffic on the rug, one should consider routine professional cleaning in every 12 – 18 months.
- The sculpted rugs or highly textured rugs will add depth and interest to your flooring and thereby helps to show a less dirt on the floor in between the vacuum process.
Frequently Asked Questions
Although, both rug and carpet are used interchangeably but they are a small difference in them.
Carpet is a floor covering that can be laid from wall to wall where the rug covers a small area / specific area. So, a rug is smaller than carpet.
Some carpets are permanently attached to the floors and can’t be removed easily but rugs are area specific that cover small area and can be removed and carried easily.
Carpets are tougher counterparts – durable, thicker, and stain resistant than rugs.
A perfectly placed rug will provide beauty and interest in the room by enhancing the overall design and unifying the space. So, one has to determine the following factors that help to narrow their search for getting the perfect area rug.
First of all, check the size and shape of the rug to know whether it fits perfectly onto the available space.
Then determine its style – whether traditional, modern or transitional.
Now consider the color range which suits best for your space – walls and interior furniture, as it has to match the existing décor.
The next comes is its cost, although, it comes first but rugs are not that much expensive. So, most people want to have the quality rug that lasts longer in a reasonable price.
Always, remember that the long-term performance of any of the area rug will depends on how well the rug is suited to your lifestyle.
Here are some of the common rug shapes available in the market.
Rectangular – It comes in a wide variety of sizes and it is suitable to use for larger rooms, just like from runners to large area rugs. Choose it as per your requirement.
Square – Used commonly in square shaped rooms or to define different zones within your room.
Circular / Round / Oval – Ideal for smaller rooms or rooms where the key pieces are of similar shape, like a round dining table.
It depends on the rug which you purchased, why because a few rugs come with built-in rubber backing and a few won’t have. In general, the rug pads provide friction to keep the rug from sliding around when it is placed on any hard or smooth surface. So, the usage of rug pads is for safety to both the rug (prevents damage to its underside) and the user (prevents from slipping). The rug pad will promote proper air circulation to make the rug dry quickly and easily in wet locations.
Here are a few suggestions that help you to place the right kind of rug in a particular area/room.
Living Room – The rugs used in living room should be soft, durable and comfortable. So, prefer to use Sisal rugs due to its heavy-duty warmth and variety of patterns and colors.
Bedroom – It should be warm and cozy. So, choose a wool rug that provide softness, comfort and sophistication to the room. Also, choose from black colored rugs to patterned or textured styles to make it look attractive.
Dining Room – Jute, with its warm-tweedy look will make it perfect for dining room. It blots any spills immediately so as to prevent the chance of marking.
Kitchens – Seagrass works well due to its natural flooring range. Make sure that kitchen rugs are stuck down properly and securely with rubber base to prevent any danger in the kitchen. (OR) simply choose any rug that come with water, fade and stain resistant.
Hallways – Coir rugs is the best choice due to its durable nature that works well in high traffic areas, where other rugs won’t withstand the heavy footfall.
Among those above-mentioned best rugs in India, we pick Status Vintage Persian Carpet Rug Runner. It is made with high quality synthetic polyester yarn material with anti-skid rubber gel form compound. Its resiliency design will make it use in high traffic areas like living room, bedroom, back door, dining area, playroom, office /commercial places. Also, keeps you floor clean and dry and comes with a size/capacity of 3X5 feet (rectangular shape) with weight of 1.24 kg and comes in multicolor.
Which one you’re going to buy in this 2020. Still having any queries in its purchase, then feel free to ask us in the below comments section. We will come back with a reply to your query as soon as possible.