“Expert-approved methods to help your kitchen sink shine and sparkle”
It may not be a fun task but cleaning the kitchen sink is a very important chore that shouldn’t be avoided.
Usually, kitchen sinks handle most of the cleaning chores – from washing grimy pots, greasy pans and vegetables. It is natural that the food buildup and grime will encourage bacterial growth.
And soon it all leads to funky smells and moldy stains.
Cleaning a kitchen sink isn’t too hard. With the right ingredients and little patience, you can easily complete the task within no time.
In this article, we have provided a detailed method to a kitchen sink for pro. Follow this process regularly to maintain a shiny and gleaming kitchen sink.
How to Clean Kitchen Sink Without Using Chemicals:
It is not necessary to use chemicals for cleaning your kitchen sink. You can do that using things that are always present at your home. The things that you need to clean your kitchen without chemicals are listed below:
Either your kitchen sink is stainless steel, porcelain, granite or concrete, it has to be cleaned properly. Here is how to keep your kitchen sink clean.
Method – 1: Cleaning a Stainless-Steel Sink
Stainless steel is a popular type of kitchen sinks, which requires extra work to keep it clean. Here are some simple steps used to remove stains, spots, stuck-on food, and streaks. Thus, help to restore the shine of your sink with minimal effort.
- Clear all the dirty dishes and leftover food from the sink before you start the cleaning process.
- Rinse the sink basin with water and wet its faucet and surrounding countertop.
- If any stubborn or stuck-on food still appears, then pour some dish soap and rinse with hot water.
- Sprinkle some baking soda to coat your sink to remove grease and light hard water deposits along with removing odors.
- Start scrubbing the baking soda with a soft-medium nylon scrub brush in the direction of the stainless-steel grain.
- A toothbrush will work well for tighter spaces and tricky turns around the fixture, drain and countertop.
- Then spray undiluted vinegar over the baking soda residue. It forms fizz and acts as an extra scrubbing action to remove calcium deposits/water spots, and acts as a natural disinfectant.
- Wait for a few minutes and rinse off the sink thoroughly to remove the residue and debris.
- If stubborn stains still last, then prepare a stain remover by mixing 1 cup of distilled white vinegar in 1/4 cup of cream of tartar. Apply it directly on the stain and rub it gently with a cloth. Rinse off with warm water after 5 – 7 minutes.
- After drying your skin, then apply a few drops of olive oil to a cloth and use it to buff the sink and its fixtures to add an extra shine.
Method – 2: Cleaning a Porcelain Sink
- Wash down the sink’s surface with gentle soap and warm water to prepare and sanitize the sink.
- Then spray hydrogen peroxide over the surface and let it sit for a few hours.
- Rinse it off with warm water to remove the stains and bad odor.
- Pour baking soda over the surface and dampen a sponge to rub it all over the sink.
- Also, use an old toothbrush to reach into small cracks or hard to reach places.
- Pour some salt and lemon juice on the remaining stains (if found any) and scrub it with a sponge after 5 – 7 minutes.
- Take 3 – 5 drops of lemon oil onto a dry cloth and wipe it around the sink to polish the porcelain sink and make it smell fresh.
Clogging of Kitchen Sinks and How to unclog it?
Clogged drains are a nightmare in the kitchen. The reason why the kitchen sink will clog is due to what goes down into the drain (or) what we are tossing into the garbage disposal. Never dump coffee grounds, grease, oil or fat down the drain, as they cause blockage and prevent water to get down.
You can easily unclog the drains with the two most popular methods, which are mentioned below.
Method – 1: Using a Plunger
- Initially, fill the sink of about 1/4 to 1/2 of the way with hot water.
- Place the plunger over the drain in such a way that pressure is focused on the clog.
- Move the plunger up & down quickly to create pressure for a couple of minutes.
- Pull off the plunger to see whether or not the drain opened.
- Repeat the same process until the clog is dislodged and water starts to drain properly.
Method – 2: Using Baking Soda and Vinegar
- Wear a pair of rubber gloves as a safety precaution.
- In case, if the water is stagnant then remove it using a bowl or cup.
- Then use a spatula to push 1 cup of baking soda down the drain opening.
- Pour 1 cup of vinegar into the sink drain and place the stopper into the sink.
- Wait for 5 – 7 minutes to make this combination work well on the clog.
- Finally, run warm water into the sink to check if the drain has been unclogged.
- In case, if it still persists, then pour 4 cups of boiling water down the drain and repeat the same process.
How to Clean a Kitchen Sink Faucet?
Cleaning a sink faucet is not as difficult as you think. Here are some simple steps that you have to follow to clean your kitchen sink faucet effectively. Have a look at them.
- Stir by pouring some dish soap into a bowl of warm water. Use this solution to rub on the faucet and its handles by using a clean sponge/soft cloth. Rinse it off with water and dry the fixture.
- If you found any buildup of lime, then pour a drop of white vinegar on the cloth and place it on the area. Let it sit for a couple of minutes and rinse it off.
- A piece of floss will help to remove the buildup of grease around the faucet’s rim. Use floss to clean the grime and wipe off with a cloth, dipped in soap water.
- Make sure to dry the sink thoroughly after rinsing with water. This will prevent the hard water spots on the faucets.
Preventive and Maintenance Tips for a Clean Kitchen Sink:
Have a look at some of the preventive measures that one should follow to keep it clean and clog-free.
- Toss kitchen items (like eggshells, tea powder, oils) into the garbage rather than tossing them into the drain.
- Clean your dishes regularly without letting it sit around/soak overnight.
- Pour hot water down the sink after cleaning your dishes to remove any gunk and prevent odors from forming. Perform it after each usage of a kitchen sink.
- Stir 1 cup each of vinegar and water along with the juice of half a lemon (lemon essential oil) and use this disinfectant spray to clear grease and harmful bacteria.
- Introduce a screen or drain – gate to prevent food debris or soap scum from falling in the drain of the kitchen.
- The coffee grounds should be added to a mulch pile present in your backyard or thrown away in the garbage.
- Pour 1 cup of vinegar down the drain and leave it to sit for about 30 minutes. Follow with boiling water to clear organic buildup within the pipes.
- In case, if you feel that these cleaning tasks are difficult for you or not having enough time to do them, then it is advised to hire a professional plumber to do the tasks.
- Never let lemon juice sit on the surface of an enamelled sink for longer than 10 minutes. The reason is that the acidic nature of the juice will erode the enamel.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Ans: To deep clean your sink daily, you have to follow this process.
Rinse out the sink and sprinkle 1 cup of baking soda all over the sink. Scrub it with a wet sponge for a few minutes. Soak paper towels in 1 cup of vinegar and stick them to the sides of the sink. Let it sit for 20 minutes, and then pour 1 cup each of baking soda and vinegar down the disposal. After it finishes fizzing, run water and remove paper towels from the sink. Rinse the sink thoroughly to have a deep clean of your sink.
Ans: Here is the process that lets you know how to clean garbage disposal. All you need is to combine a 1/2 cup of white vinegar in water and freeze it by using an ice cube tray. Toss a few and turn on the disposal. Here the vinegar aids in the disposal to smell fresh, whereas ice sharpens the blades. Still, if garbage disposal smells, an orange peel will help to deodorize it. For breaking up the collected grease, then pour chicken bone or small fruit pit and turn the disposal on.
Cleaning and unclogging a kitchen sink is not that much hard/difficult. Simply, follow the methods which we mentioned in this article to clean the sink effectively. Still, having any queries on how to clean the kitchen sink? Then feel free to share with us in the below comments section.