People often underestimate the need of a good quality office chair. Surely they are a bit expensive than normal ones but you can’t ignore the fact that it is a very good investment for your physical and mental health.
Wondering why…? Then look it this way – As per a recent survey, people spend 40 – 45 hours per week sitting at their office desks. Well, if you calculate it over a year, you spend almost 2080 hours.
Sitting for long hours in incorrect posture, hunched shoulders and strain on the hip can lead to back pain, sciatica pain and issues. Which finally proves that comfort while working or sitting for long hours is a necessity. And moreover it improves your productivity as well.
Well with so many options and suggestions around, it can be confusing to determine which one is the best. If you are in the same situation, read our “buying guide” as it contains all the information required to choose the right one as per your requirements (as everyone has their unique needs). It contains information like height, ergonomics and several others.
Don’t have much time around for a detailed scripture…? We have listed down the 5 best office chairs in India. These options are carefully chosen after a long research, analysis and review by our experts.
Best Office Chairs in India: 2019 Review
|Office Chairs||Weight Hold Capacity||Buy Now|
|Amazon Basics High Back Executive Office Chair||113 Kg||Check the Price|
|Green Soul Vienna Executive Office Chair||135 Kg||Check the Price|
|Apex Chairs Delta MB Office Chairs||120 Kg||Check the Price|
|KS Traders Office Arm Chair||200 Kg||Check the Price|
|Urban Ladder Eisner Office Computer Chair||120 Kg||Check the Price|
First from our list comes Amazon – a brand that no one needs an introduction. It is a pioneers in everything – be it server hosting, supply chain management or warehouse technologies.
Amazon has ventured in supplying several products, in an attempt to provide high quality product to customer at an affordable rate by cutting down middleman bargain. And among them AmazonBasics High Back Executive Chair is the best – a well-designed, comfortable and trendy chair with several ergonomic features.
As per our expert’s opinion, the highlight of this chair is curved and supportive seat back – which makes it perfect for people sitting for pretty long hours. Unlike several other office chairs, AmazonBasics has used high quality leather which is further molded over a curved frame that resembles the curve of your spine. This makes it firm enough to support the lumbar area and soft enough to avoid pressure on muscles and other key points. The armrests also has padding which ensures enhanced comfort and support.
This chair has the ability to adjust height and tilt as per your requirements. Rather than a tilt lock, the manufacturer has opted for tilt tension adjustment – which allows you adjust the spring tension when you recline as per your wish. This executive chair can be adjusted from 41.34 to 45.08 inches in height.
In order to offer a versatile range of motion, this chair swivels around 360 degrees – this ultimately provides multi-tasking convenience. The durable nylon casters provide mobility from one place to another very smoothly without making any noise.
Things We Liked:
- Upholstered in bonded brown leather and PVC
- Padded seat, back and arm rests
- Smooth rolling casters
- 360 degree swivel
- Pneumatic seat height adjustment and tilt tension adjustment
- Can hold up 113 kg of weight
- 1 year limited warranty
- Affordably priced
Things We Didn’t Like:
- Fixed arm rests – they cannot be adjusted as per your needs
- Leather material may feel luxury but not suitable for everyone
- Limited ergonomic options
- Low weight capacity
Next from our list comes Green Soul brand – which is known pioneering and premium quality products.
This Green Soul chair comes as a complete package – comfortable, durable and good-looking. The presence of extra padding on the seat, back, head rest and arm rests makes this chair extremely comfortable. The back is high and contoured especially for extra support needed for your back while sitting for long durations of time.
The back can be tilted and adjusted at any angle between 90 degrees and 105 degrees. The chair has 5 robust wheels made of ABS that are long-lasting and provide easy and smooth movement. Overall, the chair has a load bearing capacity of approximately 150-200 kg.
Elegant black and brown dual colors make it very appealing and visual retreat. It can easily fit with your office or home décor.
A minor drawback is that though the back can be tilted, it can get locked only in the upright position. Apart from that, good quality leatherette, easy assembly and classy looks could make this a good choice for your home or office. It comes with a 1-year warranty from the date of purchase.
Things We Liked:
- Heavy-duty tilting mechanism
- Pneumatic height adjustment feature for seat
- Extra padding on back and arms for additional comfort
- Elegant black and brown dual colour look
- 5 sturdy ABS wheels, load bearing capacity is 150-200 kg
- Easy assembly, comes with basic instructions
Things We Didn’t Like:
- Relatively expensive
- No tilt lock; back can be locked only in upright position
The brand Apex Furniture is known for providing highest quality and commercially tests products. Among their wide furniture range, we are going to discuss about the Delta MB Chair – perfect for people who sit for longer periods of time and have lower back pain.
The height of this chair can be adjusted as per your requirement. This chair has the height adjustment capability of 18 inches (minimum) to 23 inches (maximum). The curved backrest provides enough support and comfort your to your spine and lumbar area.
The netted fabric is perfectly breathable and skin friendly as well. This enables a person to sit for longer periods of time without any problem like sweating or irritation.
This revolving chair has many 360 degree swivel and wheels which move the chair around the room without any problems. The chair is actually dispatched in a semi pre-assembled condition. So, you have to assemble it yourself or ask a professional for help. Manufacturer is providing 1 year warranty against any manufacturing defects.
Things We Liked:
- Pneumatic gas lift for height adjustment
- 1 year warranty
- Good back support
- Netted fabric for breathability
- 360 swivel and 5 star nylon casters
- Push back mechanisms
- Strong back spine
- Skin friendly fabric
- Holds up to 120 kgs
Things We Didn’t Like:
- No lock mechanisms in wheels
- Arm rests are not adjustable.
KS Traders is one of the most trusted brands among people. This executive office chair is ergonomically shaped which provides ample support and comfort to the shoulders and back. It is built on a strong frame and has heavy padding with an extra layer of foam. Sturdy arm rests and soft cushioned seat will provide adequate comfort for long hours.
Torsion knob, pneumatic height adjustment and tilt lock will provide several positions which can be adjusted as per your comfortability. The durable upholstery provides a visual treat and gives off a luxury look. The color of the chair enables it to blend with any home decor and interiors.
Though it comes in a disassembled state, you can easily fix it by just placing 3 bolts. The breathable mesh makes it easy for the person to sit in the chair without any problems like sweating or back pain. If purchased directly from the manufacturer then you will get lifetime warranty.
Things We Liked:
- Breathable mesh cover
- 5 nylon caster wheels
- Contemporary and modern
- Adjustable seat height
- Smooth adjustment
- Strong high quality materials are used
Things We Didn’t Like:
- Plastic is just slightly better
- Lumbar support could have been better
- Requires assembly.
Last but not the least – The Eisner Office Chair is presented by the Urban Ladder, the popular online marketplace for furniture and other home décor products. If you’re looking to buy a comfortable chair for extended hours of work or study, then this could be the perfect choice for you.
A big advantage of this chair is that – it comes pre-assembled, unlike most of the others in the same range. Hence, there are no hassles involved in assembling it on your own. Also, the heights of the seat and head rest are both adjustable. You can also fix the angle of the head rest to suit your neck.
The back of the chair is made up of breathable double mesh. Both the seat and back are curved in such a way so as to provide maximum comfort. The leatherette upholstery and contemporary design make it a good-looking ergonomic chair for your daily use.
Free-rolling castor wheels make it easy to move the chair from one place to another. The perfect combination of style and comfort is what this office chair from Urban Ladder provides. It comes with a 1-year onsite warranty from the date of purchase.
Things We Liked:
- Pre-assembled; no assembly required
- Adjustable seat height and head rest
- Double mesh curved back and seat for comfort
- Contemporary and stylish design
- 1-year onsite warranty
Things We Didn’t Like:
- Arm rests not adjustable
- Lumbar support could have been better.
How to Choose the Chair for Your Office?
For many of us, purchasing an office chair may seem a very simple task. But trust me, not all chair are suitable for your health. While buying it, you have to consider several factors like ergonomics, fabric and others. We have assorted all the information in detail for your convenience…
1. Lumbar support
Does it have a solid, cushioned lumbar support for the lower back? If yes, is it adjustable? Back strain is one of the most common complaints of wrong posture while sitting in an uncomfortable chair. So, make sure the office chair has excellent upper and middle back support. Usually, 12” to 19” wide back rest is recommended. It should also support the natural curve of your back. Avoid purchasing an ergonomic chair that doesn’t recline. Reclining helps to move your muscles and distribute the weight among others.
2. Seat height & other adjustments
Most of the office chairs available today have adjustable seat heights, which can be controlled using a lever. For example: a person with height between 5’0” to 6’4” can comfortable sit on a chair with 15” to 22” height. Apart from that, it is a good idea to opt for a chair that offers additional adjustable features such as head rest angle, arm rest height, back tilting/reclining angle and the like. This helps in stretching your body and changing posture every now and then to keep your muscles relaxed while sitting for long hours. Avoid purchasing chairs that don’t offer any kind of adjustability.
3. Seat Width and Depth
The seating of an office chair should have appropriate width as well as depth to provide adequate support. Usually, 17 – 20 inches is calculated as standard size. The depth of the chair has to be in such a way that the user can sit properly with his back resting on the chair. And there should be a gap of approximately 2 – 4 inches between the seat and back of knees.
It is better to have adjustable armrests. They should allow the user to rest the arms comfortably and relax the shoulders. The elbows and lower arms should be relaxed, forearm should not rest on it while working or typing.
5. Fabric & cushioning
Though breathable mesh-like fabrics work well in warm environments, some people prefer additional padding/cushioning for their backs while working for long days. It is important to pick the right option which suits your body well. Low quality foam can easily sag or break down quickly which makes your seating uncomfortable. Improperly aligned padding can cause misalignments in the hips and lumbar area. So, make sure the chair has high quality memory foam cushioning.
6. Castor wheels & swivel base
A majority of office chairs come equipped with 4-5 castor wheels. These help in easy movement across wooden or tiled floors of offices. A simple task such as leaning towards a nearby colleague or reaching out to the next desk to pick up an object becomes simpler with castor wheels and a swivel base on your chair.
7. A solid warranty
As you will be using them daily and for many long hours, the office chair has to be sturdy enough to handle it. This is often represented by a warranty – the more, the merrier. Some high models provide warranty on almost all the parts of the chair. While some of them don’t provide warranty of standard wear and tear.
How to Analyze the Office Chair While trying it On?
Before purchasing an office chair, you should always try it on for at least 15 – 30 minutes. Many brands let their customers sit in them and decide which one suits their needs. When you are trying out the chair, look out the following things…
- Backrest should follow the natural curve of the spine till the lower back. Backrest should also recline and adjust as per your need.
- Your knees should be at angle of 90 degrees. If not, it should be adjustable to achieve the same.
- Arm rests should be close to your body as it helps the shoulders to relax. They have to be adjustable and exactly match the height of the desk. This will ensure, no strain is placed on the shoulders.
- In order to get enough support, the back of the chair should either come in the middle or above the shoulders.
- The seating should be long enough such that 2 – 3 fingers should perfectly fit between the chair and knee.
- The cushioning or padding should be of memory foam. If not the cushioning wears out very quickly.
Some Frequently Asked Questions:
Q. Presently I am using an office chair. I didn’t check out much about its capability as per my requirements while purchasing it. How to know if this office chair suits me one or not?
Answer: There are few signs you can analyze to known if your chair is appropriate for you or not. We have mentioned them below.
- If you are getting pain then it’s not for you. Our bodies are not designed to sustain an incorrect position for longer periods of time. In fact pain is an indication provided by your body for the same. If your chair ergonomics suit you then you will feel comfortable even when sitting for long period of time.
- If it has been more than 5 years then it’s time for a change. The average lifespan of cushioning and support of an office chair is 5 years. After that it doesn’t provide enough support to your back or lumbar region. If you are chair is ragged, the material is worn out or has any physical issues then it can throw out your posture.
- If your office chair doesn’t provide any lumbar support then it is better to replace it as soon as possible. If there is no proper lumbar support then the muscles force the lumbar region out of the natural curve, which adds pressure on the discs and reduces blood supply. The constant exertion leads to muscle fatigue as well.
- Actually when you sit on an office chair, your knees should be exactly in 90 degrees. Anything apart from that is not a good posture. To avoid, you can keep the feet on the floor or footrest. Adjust the backrest to support the low and mid back.
Few Words before Leaving…
Never risk your health and wellbeing in a poorly designed, worn out and cheap chair. So, even if the right chair is a bit out of your budget, try to purchase it. In long term, you will release that it is was a better option than a cheaper one.
While purchasing, make sure to read all the factors and select according to them just to make sure your money doesn’t go wasted.
According to our expert’s analyzing and research, AmazonBasics Executive Chair has been the best. It has all the qualities and factors required. It may be a tad expensive, but its useful features could be perfect value for your money.
For more such articles and reviews, stay tuned with our website. You will