Refrigerator is an integral part of any Indian kitchen as it keeps fruits, vegetables and other food ingredients fresh for at least one or 2 weeks.
Being a long term investment, we recommend considering 3 key points – Type, Capacity, and power consumption while purchasing a refrigerator.
1. Type and Capacity
Single door, double door, side-by-side door and triple door are some of the different types of refrigerators. Capacity represents how much storage space is present in the fridge. Below are general guidelines which help you choose the best refrigerator according to your needs.
|Suitable For||Type||Capacity||Price Range|
|Bachelors||Single Door||Less than 200 liters||10,000 to 15,000|
|Couples||Single Door||250 Liters||13,000 to 20,000|
|Small Families||Double Door||250 to 350 Liters||20,000 to 25,000|
|Medium Families||Double or Triple Door||350 to 500 Liters||25,000 to 35,000|
|Large Families||French or side-by-side||More than 500 Liters||45,000 to 1 lakh|
2. Power Consumption
Usually, single door refrigerators consume 30% less power than other types. Power consumption also varies based on the energy efficiency of the refrigerator. It is usually represented in the form of BEE star rating. Higher the rating, lesser the power consumption.
Note: Few refrigerators come with in-built stabilizers. But if you live in a locality where power cuts and high voltage issues regularly, it is better to install voltage stabilizer to protect your refrigerator.
For more detail information on how to choose a refrigerator, we recommend reading our “BUYING GUIDE”.
Based on those factors, we have also provided a list of Best Refrigerators in India. If you haven’t got much to spend on analysis, you can pick any one from this list.
These are Top 11 Best Refrigerator in India
|Annual Power Consumption||BEE Ratings||Warranty||Buy Now|
|Samsung Double Door Refrigerator||253||195 Units||3 Stars||1 year on product+ 10 years on motor||Check On Amazon|
|LG Double Door Refrigerator||260||248 Units||2 Stars||1 year on product+ 10 years on motor||Check On Amazon|
|Whirlpool Double-Door Refrigerator||265||190 Units||4 Stars||1 year on product+ 10 years on motor||Check On Amazon|
|Haier Double Door Refrigerator||256||180 Units||3 stars||1 year on product+ 10 years on motor||Check On Amazon|
|AmazonBasics 564 L Side-by-Side Door Refrigerator||564||350 Units||--||1 year on product + 5 years on motor||Check On Amazon|
|Haier Inverter Frost Free Side-by-Side Refrigerator||565||358 Units||---||1 year on product+ 10 years on motor||Check On Amazon|
|Whirlpool Single Door Refrigerator||190||203 Units||3 Stars||1 year on product+ 10 years on motor||Check On Amazon|
|Samsung Single-door Refrigerator||192||300 Units||2 Stars||1 year on product+ 10 years on motor||Check On Amazon|
|Haier Single-Door Refrigerator||195||159 Units||5 Stars||1 year on product+ 10 years on motor||Check On Amazon|
|Godrej Single-Door Refrigerator||190||210 Units||2 Stars||1 year on product+ 10 years on compressor||Check On Amazon|
|LG Single Door Refrigerator||190||164 Units||3 Stars||1 year on product+ 10 years on motor||Check On Amazon|
Double door refrigerators are suitable for small to medium families (3 to 6 members). It has separate freezer and refrigeration space. Most of these fridges have frost-free cooling mechanism so ice will not build-up in the freezer. It has higher power consumption than single door refrigerators.
Samsung is a well-known and popular refrigerator brand that comes 1st on the list due to its best inverter technology. It is a cost-effective and energy-efficient model having various amazing features and an inverter compressor motor along with an elegant look with the recess door handle.
- Refrigerator Capacity: 253 liters of capacity. It is the best for a family with 2 – 4 people.
- Type of Freezer: It is a Frost-free refrigerator
- Annual Power Consumption: Low. It consumes only 195 units per year.
- BEE Ratings: 3 Stars. It saves both electricity and running cost
- of Doors: Double door refrigerator with a separate freezer
Number of Shelves in fridge
- Easy-slide shelf
- A vegetable box
- 1 big bottle guard
- 1 regular rack for keeping jam, bottles, or sauce.
- 2 small racks for storing cheese, butter, eggs, or yogurt.
- 1 fresh room rack
Number of shelves in the freezer
- 1 shelf
- 1 movable ice maker rack
- 2 regular racks
It has an in-built stabilizer that can handle voltage fluctuations from 100 – 300 volts.
- Inverter Technology – Digital Inverter Technology reduces energy wastage. It makes cooling adjustments automatically according to the food load and temperature change.
- Digital Display and Control – A digital display allows you to change the cooling settings. Choose from 5 different modes.
- Power Cool Technology – Power cool technology quickly chills food and drinks (31% faster than usual).
- Power Freeze – Power Freeze delivers cold air into the freezer to freeze food or make ice with a single touch.
- All-Round Cooling – Twin cooling plus preserve food in the fridge from corner to corner. It maintains a constant temperature on every shelf that keeps humidity levels up to 70%.
- Smart Connect Inverter – This smart connect inverter fridge can work on the inverter during power cuts to keep the food fresh.
- Voltage Protection – If the voltage raises too much, then its stabilizer-free operation will cut the power supply automatically.
- Moistfresh Zone – This zone will adjust the moisture level to set the optimal humidity for perishable food.
- Door Alarm – A door alarm alerts you when it is not closed properly or when you left it open for more than 2 minutes.
- Deodorizer – The fiber deodorizing filter will eliminate the strong smell that air passes via carbon filters.
Warranty and Services
You will get a 1-year warranty on the product. 10 years of warranty on the inverter compressor motor. Samsung has over 300 service centers across India.
- Inverter Compressor motor saves running cost
- Digital display with 5 modes of temperature settings
- Energy efficient 3-star BEE ratings
- Movable ice maker to dispense a large quantity of ice
- Appealing looks with recess handle
- 3 in 1 up to 88L extra storage
- Spill-proof toughened glass shelf type
- Smart connect inverter
- Easy-slide shelf to find and reach things quickly and easily
- No cool pad
- Poor customer service.
Only a few brands in the whole world can match the quality of LG refrigerators because of its best Inverter Technology refrigerator in India. It is energy-efficient, cost-efficient, and looks stylish with a glossy steel finish.
- Refrigerator Capacity: 260 liters of large capacity. It can suffice a family with 5 – 6 people.
- Freezer Type: It is a Frost-free refrigerator.
- Annual Power Consumption: Low, as it consumes 248 units per year.
- BEE Ratings: 2 Stars
- Number of Doors: It is a double-door refrigerator, which means a separate freezer box and fridge.
Number of shelves fridge has
- 3 shelves
- A big vegetable box
- 1 big bottle rack to store big 2 L bottles
- 1 regular size rack to store bottles, sauce, cheese, or jam
- 1 egg tray
Number of shelves the freezer has
- An ice-tray box
- 1 shelf to keep frozen meat, fish, or ice-cream
- 2 side racks to store yogurt, ice cream, or desserts
Smart inverter compressor that makes it energy efficient, longer freshness retention less noise, and durable.
All its operations are stabilizer free. It can handle voltage fluctuations from 100 – 300 volts.
- Inverter Compressor Motor – Smart compressor with inverter technology. Inverter compressor motor adjusts the temperature according to the load and outside temperature. It can save up to 48% of energy consumption.
- Auto Smart Connect – Seamless operation even on power cuts. You just need to connect the refrigerator to the home inverter. It will run on power equal to 2 CFL bulbs.
- Moist and Fresh – Maintains optimum moisture level inside the vegetable box/special latticed type fruit. It keeps vegetables and fruits fresh for weeks by retaining the right amount of moisture.
- Ice-Beam Cooling – Maintains even temperature throughout the refrigerator. This ensures every corner is cool and keeps food fresh for longer.
- Convertible Fridge – Revolutionary technology will easily convert the freezer into a fridge and thereby increase the storage capacity with a single touch.
- 2L Bottle Storage – The fridge offers a space to keep bottles as large as 2 liters for efficient cooling.
- Multi-Airflow Cooling – Multiple air vents circulate cool air in all directions ensuring proper and quick cooling.
- Double Twist Ice Tray – This tray let you get access to ice, especially if you require extra quantity.
- LG Smart Diagnosis – Helps you to diagnose and solve any problem with your refrigerator.
Warranty and Services
You get a 1 year of comprehensive warranty on the product, and 10 years on the Inverter Compressor motor. LG provides the best after-sales service to its customers.
- Inverter Technology saves on the monthly electricity bills
- Double twist ice tray for easy access to ice.
- Best for an average Indian family of 4 – 5 people
- Stunning steel body with toughened glass shelves
- Longer lifespan LED lighting
- Stabilizer free operation
- Some people complain about not having proper door cooling.
- The energy rating could have been better.
Whirlpool is mostly famous for making washing machines. But they make equally good refrigerators. This Whirlpool refrigerator is one of most eye-catchy refrigerators with an elegant black finish. It comes 4th on the list because it is expensive than its similar-sized models.
- Refrigerator Capacity: with 265 liters of capacity it is best for a family with 4-5 members.
- Freezer Type: It’s a Frost-free and convertible refrigerator. This means you can turn the freezer into a fridge on times when you run out of space.
- Annual Power Consumption: Low. It consumes only 190 units in one year. This is the lowest on the list. Thereby it becomes the most energy-efficient refrigerator on the list.
- BEE Rating: 4-star rated refrigerator
- No of Doors: Double door refrigerator with a separate freezer
No of shelves in fridge
- 3 shelves
- Vegetable tray
- Easy access tray
- 2 bottle rack (large and small)
- 1 egg tray
- 1 regular rack for storing eggs, cheese, butter, etc
No of shelves in freezer
- Ice making box
- Ice-cream zone
- 2 racks to store frozen food items
the in-built stabilizer can handle voltage fluctuations from 160 volts to up to 300 volts. However, if fluctuations are rapid it’s better to use a separate stabilizer.
- Intellisence Inverter Technology: adjusts the motor seeps depending on the load, weather change, and usage pattern. This is why it is so efficient at saving energy.
- Digital Control:allows you to adjust and change inner temperature settings. You can choose from 5 different modes of temperature control.
- Auto-connect to Home Inverter: in case of a power failure the device will automatically connect itself to the home inverter.
- Zeolite Technology: prevents the over-ripening of fruits and vegetables. It can keep them fresh for up to 15 days.
- Microblock Technology: blocks 99% of microbial growth keeps foods healthy and fresh.
- Fresh Flow Air tower: strategically placed air vents let out cool air in every shelf.
Warranty and Service
1-year warranty on the product and 10 years on the motor.
- Convertible refrigerator
- Digital display and control
- Consumes only 190 units per year
- Zeolite technology prevents the over-ripening of fruits
- Best looking refrigerator
- It is expensive than others
- Ordinary yellow bulb inside the fridge
Haier makes the world’s best mid-budget refrigerators. This particular model from Haier has some of the best cooling features. It stands out from other models with a unique bottom freezer. We have placed it on three because it is not an Inverter Technology refrigerator.
- Refrigerator Capacity: It comes with a huge 256 liters of capacity. It works best for a family of 4-6 members.
- Freezer Type: It’s a Frost-free refrigerator
- Annual Power Consumption: Very High. It is around 400 units per year.
- BEE Ratings- 3 stars. It is less energy efficient than L.G and Samsung but it is fairly good.
- No of Doors- Double door refrigerator with a bottom freezer.
No of shelves in fridge
- 3 shelves
- Vegetable box
- 2 side shelves
- 1 big bottle tray
- 1 regular size tray
- 1 large box to store small food items
No of shelves in Freezer
- Ice maker box
- 1 small above to store meat and fish
- 1 big shelf below to keep ice cream, curd, other chilled items
It has an in-built stabilizer. It protects the compressor from voltage fluctuations from 135 to 300 Volts. However, if the voltage falls down below 135 you may consider buying a separate stabilizer.
As mentioned before it has some of the best cooling and user-friendly features.
- Bottom Freezerwith the freezer mounted at the bottom it reduces bending up to 90%. This is a great solution for every person with weak bones and knees.
- 1-hour Icing Technology- it can bring down the freezer temperature -5 degrees. Makes ice and freezes ice-creams/desserts in just 1 hour.
- 360 Degree Cooling it sends cold air across the fridge which bounces back in all directions.
- Power Cut Backup the cool pad inside the refrigerator saves the chillness for 10 hours in case of a power cut.
- 2-times Bigger Vegetable Box sores double amount of vegetables and fruits
- Big Freezer Compartment86 liters capacity freezer can store weakly meat, fish, a bunch of ice-creams, desserts, etc.
Warranty and Services
You have a 1-year warranty on the product and 10 years on the compressor. If not like L.G and Samsung Haier still offers good after-sales service to their customers.
- 256 liters big capacity at an affordable price
- Quick ice-making technology
- Bottom Freezer reduces bending
- Keeps food fresh for 10 hours during a power cut
- 2 times bigger vegetable box
- Unique and stylish design
- High power consumption
- Few service centers in rural areas
Best side-by side Refrigerator Reviews
Also known as French refrigerators, they have the largest space than other two types. It is suitable for large families with 6+ members. It comes with several smart features like ice and water dispenser and other options.
If you are a large family of more than 6 members and trying to get the right-sized fridge at an affordable price, you must go for this model from AmazonBasics.
The main feature that makes it stand apart is the auto-defrost technology. It makes sure no ice is being built up inside the fridge.
It is also equipped with quick-freeze and quick-cool features. While the first feature turns water into ice in no time, the second one helps the food to remain fresh for a long time.
Moreover, the fridge has tempered glass shelves inside that resist breaks and scratches, helping you store all types of vessels.
- Refrigerator capacity: 564 litres, suitable for a family of 5 or more members.
- Freezer Type: Frost-free.
- Annual energy consumption: Around 350 units per year.
- BEE Ratings: BEE does not give ratings to side-by-side refrigerators, But Energy Star, a government certified labelling program has given the appliance an A+ rating.
- No of doors: 2
No of shelves in the fridge:
- 4 shelves.
- 2 bottle racks.
- 5 additional side racks.
- 2 vegetable boxes.
- 2 boxes for storing big items.
No.of shelves in freezer:
- 4 shelves
- 2 chiller box
- 2 bigger racks for storing bigger items
- 2 smaller racks
- Alarm Function: Alerts you in case the door is open for a long time.
- Super freeze: Turns water into ice with the touch of a button.
- Child lock function: Prevents accidental changes in the settings. You just have to press the lock button for three seconds.
- Temperature: Helps you maintain the exact temperature inside the fridge.
- Multi Airflow: To ensure the right amount of cooling in each corner.
Warranty and Service
You get a 1-year warranty on the appliance and a 5-year warranty on the compressor to cover malfunctioning and manufacturing defects.
- 564 litres large capacity.
- No heating problem as the heat dissipates from the right panel.
- Superior build quality.
- Uniform airflow into the storage compartments.
- Steel body with a glossy finish.
- The door alarm sound is below the audible range.
This one is another product in our list from Haier brand. It is one of premium brand in the refrigerator vertical. Their HRF-619SS model is one of the best in the side-by-side refrigerant section not only from Haier and but other brands as well.
The main feature that makes it the best is – Twin Inverter Technology which ensures less fluctuations, making it cost and energy efficient. Another amazing feature that differentiates it from others is that – it has 66% fridge space and 34% freezer space.
Refrigerator Capacity: This model comes with 565 liters of capacity. It is best for a large family with 6 or more members.
Freezer Type: Frost-free refrigerator
Annual Energy Consumption: Very high. It consumes around 365 units per year.
BEE Ratings: Nil. BEE doesn’t give energy ratings to side-by-side refrigerators.
No of Doors: Double door; side-by-side refrigerator
No of Shelves in fridge
- 5 shelves
- 2 vegetable boxes,
- 1 big bottle holder,
- 2 egg trays (12 eggs)
No of Shelves in freezer
- 5 shelves
- 2 multi-utility storage boxes
- 4 additional side racks.
- All shelves are made of toughened glass.
- It is designed to have stabilizer free operation. So you don’t have to worry about the fluctuations.
- One-Touch Digital Display: It has all new digital panel which is very convenient to operate for changing the temperature settings.
- Super Cool Feature: Quickly cools food and keeps them fresh for longer.
- Super Freeze: It turns water in ice within a couple of minutes. So, now you can happily cater to unplanned parties as well.
- Smart Holiday Function – If you travel a lot or if you are going out for few weeks, then you can turn on this feature. It will maintain stable temperature range in the refrigerator in your absence.
- 90 ⁰ Door Opening – Unlike many fridges in the market, this model comes with 90 degree opening doors which be convenient for taking out or storing food items.
- Noise Control Technology – This option ensures the refrigerator works whisper silent.
Warranty and Service
Manufacturer provides 10-year warranty on fan motor and compressor. And 1 year-warranty is provided for other parts of the refrigerator.
- 565 liters capacity
- Twin inverter technology
- PUF insulation
- Spill proof toughened glass
- Better fridge-freezer ratio
- Noise control technology
- High energy consumption
- No water dispenser
Best Single-Door Refrigerator Reviews
Single door refrigerators are suitable for bachelors and couples. It comes with less storage space but enough for storing vegetables and other food ingredients necessary for 2 members. They direct cooling mechanism so ice formation is normal and has to defrosted manually.
Whirlpool refrigerators are generally higher in price. But this model from Whirlpool is one of their best made small-budget refrigerators. The reason it comes after Haier and L.G is it is not an Inverter Refrigerator. Also, it consumes more power than the last two.
- Refrigerator Capacity: 190 liters. It works best for small families with not more than 3 members.
- Freezer Type: It is a direct cool refrigerator
- Annual Power Consumption: Moderate. It consumes 203 units per year. It is higher than L.G, Haier.
- BEE Rating: 3 stars because of higher power consumptions
- Number of Doors: Single door refrigerator.
Number of Shelves in Fridge
- 2 wire shelves
- Vegetable box
- Chiller Box
- 1 jumbo bottle rack
- 1 regular rack
- 2 egg trays on the door
An in-built stabilizer (130-300 Volts) protects the device from voltage fluctuations
- 9-hours of Cooling Retention: the device claims to keep foods fresh for 9 hours during power cuts (lab tested).
- Easy Defrosting: it comes with an easy defrost mechanism
- Pocket Handle: a unique pocket handle on the top looks really smart
- Honey Comb Vegetable Crisper: vegetable crisper has a moisture lock-in feature. It maintains the optimum temperature inside the vegetable box and keeps them fresh for longer.
- Anti-bacterial Gasket: you can remove and wash the gasket. It is to prevent fungal growth and unpleasant odour formation between the gaps.
Warranty and Service
It comes with a 1-year warranty on the product and 5 years on the motor.
- Easy defrost
- 9 hours of cooling retention
- Stabilizer free operations
- You need to buy a stand separately
- Not an inverter refrigerator
Samsung never compromises with quality. And this refrigerator is no different. Everything is good about this refrigerator. It is small but spacious, efficient at cooling also looks sleek and stylish. The only disappointing thing is the high energy consumption.
- Refrigerator Capacity: 190 liters of capacity. It is ideal for 2-3 members.
- Freezer Type: Direct-cool refrigerator.
- Annual Power Consumption: High. Around 300 units per year.
- BEE Rating: 2 stars
- Number of Doors: Single-door refrigerator
No. of Shelves in Fridge
- 2 toughened glass shelves
- 1 vegetable box
- 1 chiller box
- 1 big bottle guard
- 2 racks
- 2 egg trays
It has an in-built stabilizer to handle voltage fluctuations (130-290 Volts)
- Safe Clean Back: covers the internal parts from accidental knocks. You can easily wipe the back with a damp cloth.
- View lamp: bright blue light for clear viewing
- Toughened glass: toughened glass shelves can hold as much as 150kgs of weight
- Door lock: a small lock with keys
Warranty and Service
The device has a 1-year warranty on the product and 10 years on the compressor.
There is simply no better single door refrigerator than this. It is affordable. It has 5 energy star ratings. It also has an Inverter Refrigerator. It comes 7th on the list only because of its small capacity.
- Refrigerator Capacity: 195 liters. It is suitable for a nuclear family with 2-3 heads.
- Defrost Type: Direct Cool freezer. You have to defrost it manually.
- Annual Energy Consumption: Very low. It consumes around 159 units per year. It is the lowest in the whole refrigerator market in India.
- BEE Ratings: 5 stars. It is the best energy-saving refrigerator.
- No. of Doors: single door refrigerator. Fridge and freezer compartment both inside one door.
No. of Shelves in Fridge
- 3 toughened glass shelves
- Chillier box
- Vegetable box
- 1 bottle tray
- 2 racks for storing cheese, curd, butter, jam, etc
- 2 egg trays
in-built stabilizer. It can handle a wide range of voltage fluctuations from 135 to 290 Volts.
- Inverter Compressor Motor: it has an inverter compressor motor. These motors are expensive and can save energy by 50%. Only the best single door refrigerators come with an inverter compressor.
- 1-hour Icing Technology: It makes ice cubes within 60 minutes. Long condenser coils and PFU insulation keeps the cool air sealed inside and makes ice faster.
- Anti Fungal Gasket: the gasket is removable. You can take it out and wash it to prevent any fungal growth and odour formation.
- Bigger Freezer:- store ice creams bars, yoghurts, and desserts.
- lock the freezer and keep it out of the touch from kids
Warranty and Service
Haier provides a 1-year warranty on the product and 10 years on the compressor motor.
- 5-star energy ratings
- Inverter Compressor refrigerator
- Stabilizer free operations
- 1-hour quick icing
- Affordable refrigerator
- Small capacity
- Manual defrost
The last refrigerator on the list is from Godrej. The Indian brand is mainly popular for making good quality low-budget products. It a very basic refrigerator will less number of smart features. And it is not an Inverter Refrigerator. But this small size refrigerator is energy efficient and spacious from inside.
- Refrigerator Capacity: 190 liters. It is good for a family of 2-3 people. Not more than that.
- Freezer Type: Direct Cool refrigerator
- Annual Power Consumption: Moderate. 210 units per year
- BEE Ratings: 2 stars
- No. of Doors: Single door refrigerator
No. of Shelves in fridge
- 2 shelves
- Chiller box
- Vegetable box
- 2 large bottle tray
- 1 egg big tray
- 4 small boxes/racks for keeping butter, cheese, sauce, etc.
It can handle fluctuations between 140-260 volts.
- 2 L big Freezer:it has a big freezer compartment of 27.2 liters. You can store a sufficient amount of meat, fish, ice snacks, etc.
- Thick Insulation: thick insulation seals the cool air in and doubles the cooling speed.
It comes with 1 year of warranty on the product and 10 years on the motor.
- Energy efficient
- Big freezer
- Average build quality
- Slow cooling
Every LG product is of high quality. This particular model from L.G is one of the top-rated single-door refrigerators in the market with 4.4-star ratings.
- Refrigerator Capacity: 190 liters, best for a family with 2 – 3 people
- Annual Power Consumption: Low. It consumes 131 units of power per year.
- Freezer Type: Direct cool refrigerator. This means it needs manual defrosting
- BEE Ratings: 4 stars
- Number of Doors: Single-door refrigerator
Number of Shelves in Fridge
- 2 shelves
- Chiller box
- Vegetable box
- 2 bottle racks (1 big, & 1 small)
- 1 egg tray
- 2 small boxes for easy storing of cheese, butter, yogurt, etc.
This model is one of the most energy-efficient single-door refrigerators on the market with 4-star BEE ratings.
It has a powerful in-built stabilizer. It can handle a wide range of voltage fluctuations from 90V to up to 310 V.
- Smart Inverter Compressor: Saves energy. Adjusts temperature according to the load.
- Fast Ice Making: Exclusive feature. It can make ice cubes in just 108 minutes.
- Base Stand with a Drawer: The base slides like a drawer. You can use it to store onions, garlic, potatoes, or other vegetables.
- Moist ‘n’ Fresh: A special lattice-type vegetable box condenses the evaporated moisture and locks them. This keeps the fruits and vegetables fresh for a longer time.
- Anti-Bacterial Gasket: Easy cleaning will keep food hygienic and healthy
- Toughened Glass Shelves: Made of toughened glass to hold heavy food items that can take a 175 kg load easily.
- Smart Connect: It can work even in power cuts by connecting home inverter power.
1 year on the product and 10 years on the compressor
- Inverter compressor motor
- 4-Star BEE ratings
- Power in-built stabilizer
- Base stand with a drawer
- Aesthetic design
- Smart connect to home inverter during power cuts
- Space is a bit constricted
- Poor quality base drawer.
How Does a Refrigerator Work?
Purpose of refrigerator is to maintain food ingredients fresh for few weeks by decreasing the temperature inside. This process is handled by 5 components – Fluid refrigerant, compressor, condenser coils, evaporation coils and an expansion device.
Refrigerant absorbs the heat present inside the refrigerator and flows through the condenser coils. And it flows back to the expansion value after cooling down. In the expansion value, temperature of the refrigerant drops even further and flows as cool gas inside the fridge. This continuous process ensures proper cool temperature is maintained in the refrigerant.
How to Choose a Refrigerator?
With so many options present in the market, it is difficult to choose a single product. However, with some knowledge on which factors to consider for analysis, you can invest in the right one.
In the below buying guide for refrigerators, we have provided all the information required to take an informed decision.
Foremost factor to consider while purchasing a refrigerator is capacity. Actually it depends on the user’s eating habits and family size. Below is a table representing suitable capacities based on family size.
|Individuals or Bachelors||Less than 200 Liters|
|Small families||250 – 350 Liters|
|Medium sized family||350 – 500 Liters|
|Large family||>500 Liters|
2. Types of Refrigerators
Different types of refrigerators are present in the Indian market that include – single, double door, triple door and side-by-side door. We have provided a detailed explanation of each type to help you choose among them.
a. Single Door Refrigerators
Also known as direct cooling refrigerators because they run on direct cool technology. These refrigerators come with capacity up to 300 Liters only (not more than this). So, they are perfect for bachelors and small families. Compared to other type of refrigerators with same capacity, it consumes 30 – 40% less energy.
When compared to other types, single door refrigerators are less expensive. Being compact, they easily fit into small kitchens as well.
However, you have to defrost the freezer manually and regularly. Because frost tends to accumulated in the freezer. This type may not be suitable for people who stock up meat or foods in the freezer for at least a week. Because the space and size of the freezer is less.
Note: If you have a budget constraint, then single door refrigerator is the right choice.
b. Double Door Refrigerators
As the name suggests, this type has two separate doors for freezer and refrigerator. Usually, they come in capacity range between 200 – 700 Liter. So, they are perfect for medium families (4 – 5 members).
Unlike single door refrigerator, you don’t have to de-frost the freezer manually as it comes with frost free technology. Apart from that, it also comes with larger freezer chamber and adjustable shelves.
Double door refrigerators come with automatic fans for circulating cool air inside. So, it will consume 30 – 40% more electricity compared to single door refrigerators. When it comes to price, they are costlier.
Based on the freezer compartment location, double doors are further divided into two categories – Top mount and bottom mount.
- Top Mount – As the name implies, freezer compartment is located in top part of the refrigerator. This is the most commonly available and purchased model.
- Bottom Mount – In this type, freezer is present at the bottom part of the refrigerator. As many of us use refrigeration unit more than freezer – this type is the most user-friendly one. However, they consume more power than the other type.
c. Side-By-Side Refrigerator
Biggest advantage of this type is more space and flexible options than others. They come in larger capacities (500 L – 900L) which makes them suitable for large families.
Some advanced models also come with special features like water dispenser, ice dispenser – this option provides access to ice or chilled water without opening the refrigerator.
It has the largest freezer space (1/3rd total space) so make sure to analyze your requirements before purchasing this type of refrigerator. Most of the Indian families don’t use much freezer space. If you are one of them, then you may not require side-by-side refrigerator. As the capacity is more, the electricity consumption is more.
d. Triple Door Refrigerator
As the name implies, these refrigerators have 3 doors (top compartments as freezer, middle part has cooling section and lowermost power is a vegetable basket). The bottom part is specially designed to maintain vegetables and fruits free from moisture and fresh for longer time.
Though they need more power to work but they provide better functionality and versatility than others. As three compartments are separate, mixing of odors is not possible. Some advanced triple door options come with automatic ice dispensers.
After capacity and type, next factor to consider is the size – does your kitchen has enough space to place the refrigerator.
When it comes to opening the refrigerator, it doesn’t require to go beyond 90 degrees for removing vegetables or other items. So while checking out the space, make sure you have extra space to open the refrigerator door easily beyond 90 degrees.
Based on capacities and type, refrigerators vary in width, length and depth. So, make sure your choice matches the space (be it dining or kitchen). For that to happen, we recommend to measure out the area (l, b, w) and then choose the appropriate one. While measuring, make sure to leave at least 1-inch clearance around the sides, especially at back for good air circulation. And finally, make sure the refrigerator fits through the doorways.
Inverter technology works on basic rule of optimizing compressor unit’s power. In general refrigerators, compressors usually go for on or off position at regular intervals. This process actually leads to more electricity consumption as the compressor works at a uniform speed.
However, with inverter technology the compressor will work at different speed levels to provide the required output based on cooling requirements. When the temperature falls below the set levels, the inverter will switch the compressor to a lower capacity. But compressor will go back to work at maximum capacity when the cooling is required.
With inverter technology, you can save up to 20 – 30% per cent electricity consumption. Even in stable temperatures, you can still save up to 20 – 40% electricity.
Based on defrosting types, refrigerators are divided into 2 types – direct cool and frost free. Let’s look these types in detail below…
a. Direct Cool Defrosting Technology
This technology generates coolness by using natural convection process. uses natural cool air circulation throughout the appliance. Thus, you cannot control the temperature distribution inside the refrigerator. This leads to uneven cooling and this in turn, leads to the accumulation of frost. And the freezers have to be defrosted periodically to avoid ice accumulation.
Refrigerators with this technology come only is single doors. They need less electricity, running and maintenance is much cheaper. If you have a limited budget or need only small capacity refrigerator, then this is the right option.
b. Frost Free Refrigerator
Contrary to the above one, in this refrigerator has defrost cycle that works in regular intervals to remove frost or prevent frost accumulation. Almost all the modern refrigerators in Indian market have frost free function.
This unique technology provides a balanced distribution of cool air around the fridge using special electric fans. This technology is available on side-by-side, double-door and triple door fridges. They consume more electricity than the other one. However, they have longer life duration. It is perfectly suitable for households where there is a frequent need of refrigeration.
6. Energy Efficiency
Energy efficiency of a refrigerator is calculated based on electricity consumption. BEE energy star rating of a refrigerator gives a clear idea of the power consumption. BEE is a government certified agency which provides star energy rating to home and kitchen appliances.
The ratings are in the form of stars with a 5-star rating being the most efficient. However, it doesn’t represent the quality. Energy efficient refrigerators can be an expensive investment. However, if you consider maintenance prices over a period, then they are much beneficial. Even inverter models are considered effective.
For more detailed information on how much energy a refrigerator consumes, read this article.
Next important factor to look into is the design of the refrigerator. Check out the shelving inside – whether you can easily fit 2 liter bottles, if the shelves are adjustable, can you spare space for taller vessels and if the space is manageable for your requirements.
Some modern refrigerators come with special design features like separate space for beauty products, medicines, and moveable ice trays.
8. Fresh Features
When it comes to preserving cooked food, optimal cooling may be enough. But it may or may not be enough for fresh fruits and vegetables.
Food ingredients like chilies, carrots and tomatoes placed in the refrigerator tend to get wrinkled skin within few days. Lack of moisture is the main reason for this situation. When it comes to vegetables developing fungus and rotting, this is caused due to excess moisture. So, it is very important to maintain right amounts of humidity inside the refrigerator to prolong the life of food ingredients.
Most of the lower end fridges have vegetable box with no features that control the moisture. This is perfectly suitable enough for bachelors who don’t cook a lot and mainly use refrigerator for storing leftover food.
If you store fresh produce and meats a lot, then we recommend for checking out moisture control vent option. If the vegetables are getting damp, then open the moisture vent to let out the dampness. If the produce is getting dry, then close the vent.
Some brands like Haier provide special arrangements like Vitamin C filter to prevent oxidation and sterilizes the air in order to slow down the ripening process. Whirlpool brand uses ionizer to achieve the same.
Most of the refrigerators in India have anti-bacterial system which prevents any bacterial growth. Whirlpool manufacturers have developed a special material called Micro block for their fridges which reduces contamination and bacterial growth as well.
9. Conversion Facility
Now-a-days refrigerators come with an innovative feature known as Conversion. This allows to convert freezer into fridge as per the requirement. It helps you increase the storage capacity of the refrigerator.
However, this feature is not suitable for non-veg consuming popution. As they may need freezer space to store meat.
10. Handling Power Cuts
Some high-end refrigerators come with new technology that enables them to maintain the food produce fresh even during power cuts (ranging from 2 to 7 hours). However, fridges with feature can be expensive.
11. Eco-Friendly Refrigerators
Due to global warming issues, most of the manufacturers are turning towards developing appliance with eco-friendly feature. Following the same, some brands have included R-134 or R600A as an alternative for CFC refrigerant (known for greenhouse emissions).
12. Temperature Controls
Choose a refrigerator that comes with two separate temperature controls for food compartment and freezer individually. With single control, these two section may not function to their fullest potential.
This feature helps to avoid placing fruits and vegetables in plastic storage bags. To maintain the produce crisp and fresh, the compartment has to be sealed properly. And moreover crisper should be easily removable for cleaning purposes. If you have to store a significant amount of food, then you will need more than one crisper. An ideal crisper will be at least 45cm wide to store large vegetables sufficiently.
Few Additional Features
14. Double Door Action
This innovative feature lets you view the inside of refrigerator without opening the door. An opaque glass front panel present in front will light up whenever you wish peek inside.
Some high-end refrigerators come with indicators that notify the users with a beeping sound, if the refrigerator is kept open for a long time.
16. Built-In Voltage Stabilizer
Voltage fluctuations can have bad impact on the compressor. So, to protect the refrigerator from voltage fluctuations, it is better to have voltage stabilizer. Apart from external, having in-built voltage stabilizer will extend the fridge life.
17. Cool Pack
If you live in an area where power cuts are normal in daily life, then having a cool pack can be beneficial. The cooling gel present in this part of the refrigerator maintains cool air within for longer periods of time.
18. Quick-Freeze Compartment
This feature is helpful for people who want ice quickly and frequently.
They help you store vegetables and fruits in separate sections for better organization.
This feature helps to remove any particular odors emitting from food. It used powerful filters to remove the odor and maintain fresh air within the refrigerator.
Some refrigerator can produce a lot of buzzing noise which can be quite irritating. An ideal refrigerator will not make any disturbing noises. On an average, noise levels produced by refrigerators range from 30 –47dB. Actually 40dB levels and more is considered to be noisy.
22. Build Quality
When it comes to build quality, stainless steel refrigerators are more durable, maintain and last for a very long time. They will also save you from unnecessary expenditure over the time. However, they are a bit costlier.
23. Door Handles
Position of handles is also an important factor to consider. They should not present too low or too high. And they should help you open the doors efficiently and comfortably.
24. Adjustable Shelves
In accommodating more stuff, having adjustable shelves feature is beneficial. These shelves should be easy to slide and flip vertically from hinges for creating more customized space.
25. Air Filtration
In order to maintain interiors of refrigerator fresh, it contains built-in carbon filter which is capable absorbing bad odors.
Well, purchasing a refrigerator is not a small investment. Before even checking out the factors, we recommend to set a budget range. This will let you choose the best possible option without letting you spend a fortune.
Warranty represents a product’s quality and durability. A refrigerator with long duration of warranty ensures it will work efficiently without any hassles until that specified time. High-end models offer warranty ranging from 5-10 years on the product and compressor as well. And the basic models provide limited warranty services.
28. Customer Service
Another critical factor to consider is how good is the after sales service. Make sure to choose a brand with reputation of providing good customer service. Usually, a well-reputed and established brand will have a good customer service, credible warranty and guaranteed service policy.
How To Clean a Refrigerator?
A refrigerator has to be cleaned once in every 2 to 3 months. Below is a step-by-step cleaning procedure…
- Turn off the fridge. Some people clean the fridge without turning it off. We usually don’t recommend it as keeping the fridge door open for long time can increase power bills.
- Remove all the food ingredients, drink and other contents.
- Remove the shelves, ice box, and drawers.
- Using mild soap, wash the shelves, ice tray and drawers carefully. And let them to dry under shade.
- Now take a clean wet wash cloth and wipe the interiors of fridge. If there are soiled areas, you can use mild soap water or diluted vinegar solution.
- Wipe the exteriors of the fridge as well.
- Once the shelves are dry, place them back in their positions.
How to Improve Refrigerator Efficiency?
- It is better to avoid direct sunlight or heat exposure. Keeping a fridge away from heat vents, dishwashers, sunlight can help to reduce the compressor usage.
- Never refrigerate leftover hot dishes or food. Make sure the dishes are cooled properly and covered before storing them in fridge. This will reduce the heat inside, which ultimately lets compressor run less.
- Opening the freezer or refrigerator frequently can reduce its efficiency. It is better to use in-door water and ice.
- Adjusting the temperatures has also been an amazing way to increase the efficiency of compressor. You can adjust the temperature between 36 to 38 degrees Fahrenheit for refrigerator and for freezer it has to be between 0 to 5 degrees Fahrenheit. This temperature range is available as mid-point setting.
- Organization really does the trick when it comes to increasing the efficiency. If the items are organized properly, you will spend less time accessing them – which reduces door-open time, saving energy.
- Avoid placing cereal boxes, bread, serving dishes and other stuff on the refrigerator. These items can trap heat inside the appliance, making the compressor work overtime.
How to Increase Lifespan of a Refrigerator?
- We recommend to avoid using abrasive things to clean the shelves, drawers and doors of a refrigerator. It is better to use a soft wet cloth, a little baking soda and mild detergent if required.
- Make sure the food is not crammed in the refrigerator. Make sure there is enough space for proper air circulation both in freezer and refrigeration areas.
- Clean the door seals regularly with mild soap and water. This prevents any accumulation of grime, dirt and mold.
- Check if the refrigerator door closes properly. For testing, you can just slip a piece of paper when the fridge is closed. If the paper falls, then replace the seals immediately.
- To prevent any formation of mold or mildew, wipe the interiors and exteriors with white vinegar. After few minutes, wipe them with clean damp cloth and dry thoroughly.
- Cleaning the coils regularly is also important. For that, unplug the refrigerator and gently wipe the dust. If you are not aware of the condenser coil placement, then just read the owner’s manual.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Spray solution of vinegar and water inside the refrigerator. Make sure to concentrate more on soiled areas. Leave it for few minutes and wipe off using a clean wet kitchen towel.
Reciprocating compressor is best suited for refrigerator as they consume less power, generate low noise and heat levels.
Direct cooling fridge uses natural convention to circulate the air. Whereas, frost free cooling circulates cool air with the help of electric fans. In direct cooling the air is not distributed well, so ice gets accumulated which in turn needs to be defrosted regularly. In frost free cooling, the air reaches every corner preventing any ice accumulated. Compared to direct cooling, frost free is the best choice.
Best temperature of a refrigerator is 40° F or above. Freezer temperature has to be 0° F or below. Check the temperature once in a while to make sure the temperatures are maintained properly.
Price range of refrigerator thermometers vary from Rs. 150 to Rs. 500. Some of the best products are R-tek, Aptechdeals, MCP and HTC-1.
Whirlpool 265Liter double-door model is the best convertible refrigerator in India.
If you are worried about it, then you don’t have to anymore. It is completely safe to purchase refrigerator online. And moreover, you can also avail some amazing benefits like exchange and discounts without even bargaining. To make sure you invest money safely, we recommend to purchase only in Amazon, Flipkart or Assured Seller.
Some of the well-known brands providing efficient refrigerators in India are Samsung, LG, Godrej, Whirlpool, BPL, and Haier.
Most of high-end refrigerators have lifespan of 18 –20 years while some of them willlast for 12 –13 years. However, cheaper models will last for not more than 1-years. However, this range may increase or decrease depending on the maintenance and care taken.
One of the most common sign that indicates compressor going bad is –not cooling at optimum levels. Other obvious signs include –frost build up, motor being hotter than normal, water leakage, suddenly making more noises, worn out wires, compressor doesn’t trip once it reaches the optimum point, consumes more energy than normal, unable to form ice and if fridge is more than 10 to 13 years.
This situation occurs when the condenser fan motor malfunctions. So consult a professional to get a check-up for your fridge.
Yes, fridge size has a direct impact on the power consumption. For example, if you purchase 5-star rated refrigerator of 260L and compare it with 5-star rated 180L fridge. Lesser capacity fridge will consume 70 to 80 units less power than the higher capacity one. Also it is important to understand that a refrigerator provides complete value for money when they run at full capacity. So, understand your capacities and choose a model carefully to save your money.
Single door refrigerators are good for a small family but nowadays people are more inclined towards double door refrigerators. These are mainly because of two reasons firstly, because they look very modern and stylish and 2nd they have larger capacities. Our suggestion is to go for double door refrigerator if you don’t have budget issues.
Another thing is go with higher number of BEE star ratings. They cost higher initially but at the end of a year, you will be saving a lot more than what you have spent.
Choosing your refrigerator largely depends on your budget and preferences. However, if you want the best double door refrigerator go with L.G 260Litre Double Door Refrigerator. If you think a single door would be sufficient for you then go with Haier 195Litre Single-Door Refrigerator.
Share your doubts and experiences with us in the comment section given below. We’ll get back to you ASAP!