Have you ever felt more tired waking up in the morning than you were before going to sleep at night? That is because your bed tires you out instead of helping you relax. Your mattress is to blame for this.
A great mattress will give you sound sleep. Helps you feel rejuvenated and fresh when you wake up in the morning. Prepares you for a great day ahead.
Buying a mattress is more of an investment than buying a commodity. You should be looking at several factors such as size, comfort, motion isolation factor, softness/hardness and thickness.
But how can you pick a mattress that you just can’t wait to get into at the and of the day? In order to help you, we have done comprehensive research and listed out the best mattresses available to buy in 2019.
Top 7 Best Mattress Brand in India
|Mattresses||Type||Warranty||Sleep Trial||Buy Now|
|Wakefit Orthopaedic Memory Foam Mattress||Memory Foam||20 years||100 days||Check the Price|
|SleepyCat - Gel Memory Foam Mattress||Memory Foam||10 years||30 days||Check the Price|
|Wakefit Dual Comfort Mattress||Memory Foam||10 years||NA||Check the Price|
|Sleepyhead Memory Foam Mattress||Memory Foam||10 years||100 days||Check the Price|
|Comforto Duplex | Firm and Soft Dual Comfort Mattress||Foam||10 years||NA||Check the Price|
|Springtek Ortho Pocket Spring||Pocket Spring Foam||11 years||NA||Check the Price|
|Shagun 4-inch Double Size Foam Mattress||Foam||6,8,11 years (Variable)||NA||Check the Price|
With a 20 year warranty, 100 day sleep trial and a soft yet comfortable solution to any back/spine pain, the Wake Fit Orthopaedic Memory Foam Mattress steals in the first spot.
If you are a pregnant woman or just any individual who has a history of back pain, this is a perfect choice. It does not just help you relieve your back pain but also keeps its temperature flexible memory foam keeps you cool.
People who choose to sleep on Memory foam do not change or shift their sleeping positions in more than 4-hour stretches. Hence the mattress locks on to your favourite sleep position and offers great help to back pains and comfort to the spine.
The mattresses core is densely filled with memory foam fused with other premium quality foam (orthopaedic foam). Even with that, the mattress stays soft which talks about the good quality of the foam used. This thickness of foam aids in retaining the shape of the mattress and durability even in prolonged usage over the years.
As mentioned, the mattress is temperature flexible. This is so because the cells of the foam are bigger in size and this helps in the greater flow of air to and from the mattress. Thus it not only keeps the entire mattress cool but also reduces the possibility of odors forming.
This mattress is also light in weight and easily transportable it only weighs 10 kgs. The cover of the mattress is made up of high-grade cotton and it can be removed and washed from time to time.
Wakefit’s 100 day trial period, 20 years manufacturer warranty and their incredibly fast customer service make it the finest pick of the lot.
- 100 Days sleep trial period
- Light in weight and does not sag down easily
- Use of High Quality of Memory foam and is in a dense packing for greater comfort.
- Great help in back pain and neck pain.
- The easily removable and washable outer skin can increase the life of the mattress.
- Temperature flexible and prolonged coolness due to bigger foam cells
- Comes in different customized fit sizes.
- 20 years manufacturer warranty.
- None so far.
A gel-based memory foam mattress that is rolled up and mailed for you to try for 30 days and return if you don’t like it. The SleepyCat mattresses win in two aspects. Incredibly great product and equally incredible customer support.
Ideally made to serve as a saviour for people suffering from back pains, this mattress can be used by people both young and adult. Old people may slightly feel uncomfortable because of the softness of the mattress.
Made out of 5 layers of 6-inch thickness, it has the base, netted covers, memory foam and the orthopaedic gel. The outer layer of the mattress is made out of high-quality GSM fabric that is handcrafted and knitted. You also have an easily removable Zip on the top which makes it easy to remove and clean from time to time.
The mattress is non-motion transferring in nature. This means that no matter how much your partner moves about in their sleep, it won’t cause the mattress on your side to move. Thus you can sleep peacefully undisturbed by their movements due to the great motion isolation factor.
But apart from the awesome features, we feel that the thickness of the mattress could be increased. Memory foam mattresses are supposed to be denser and thicker. This mattress is dense enough but needs to be a bit thicker. But that could be opinionated as well.
The product comes with a 10-year warranty and also the aforementioned 30 day trial period. During this time, you can actually test out the mattress. Does the gel really work for you? Can you feel your partner moving about the sleep? or whatever it is that you want to test.
Apart from all the above, sleepycat has a social side. For every 10 sales they make, they donate 1 sale.
- 30 day trial period
- 10 Years manufacturer warranty for the mattress
- Easy carry and delivery
- Dense and high-quality memory foam used and thus increased comfort.
- Ideal for back pains and neck pains too.
- Great motion isolation. No more disturbance of your partner tossing around in sleep.
- Incredibly helpful customer support
- Mattress and the memory foam layer could be a bit thicker than just 6 inches.
There are people who want a soft foam mattress. Then there are people who prefer a certain hard mattress. Wake Fit’s Dual Comfort satisfies both customer types with their Hard and Soft feature.
The mattress comes with two sides different from each other. One side is medium soft and filled with memory foam. This is ideal for people who suffer from back pain and to feel cool during the hot summers. The bigger cells allow for great airflow and thus keep the mattress cool and out of odours.
Another side of the mattress is hard and is ideal for older people and during the winters too. It is highly dense and is more towards the base of the mattress. Thus can handle bigger weights. Though there are minor complaints about the hard side being a bit soft too.
Dual Comfort mattress is 5 inches thick (one inch smaller than its Orthopaedic Memory Foam counterpart). Thus, it is more ideal for higher platform beds. But it can be used directly on the ground too.
It’s material and base are a testament of its good build and durability. The outer cover is made out of high-quality GSM polyester and can be removed to be cleaned from time to time.
The best part about this mattress apart from its rolled up packing and great build quality is their supportive customer care. The product comes with 10 years of manufacturers warranty and any issues within the warranty period can be claimed. Claims are either with replacement or even cash refund in early return cases.
- 10 Years warranty
- Dual Comfort (Medium hard on one side and Medium soft on the other)
- Light in weight
- High-quality Memory Foam used
- Cover material made out of premium quality GSM fabric for easy cleaning and breathability.
- Could have increased the thickness of the mattress to at least 6 inches or higher.
- Room for improvement in making the hard side harder.
A mattress that allows you to test it for 100 days before you decide on keeping it forever. The sleepyhead queen sized mattress is a medium firm mattress that’s made out of 6 inches thick Memory Foam.
Ideal for people who are looking for a luxury product which is soft yet medium hard for a comfortable sleep. It is also good for people who wish to control their back pain but may not be ideal for people of the older generation.
Sleepyhead memory foam mattress comes in a total of 4 layers apart from a sturdy base. The base is filled with layer 1 of support foam which provides a good bounce feel to the mattress. Upon this, the second layer of memory foam (responsive) is inserted. A high-quality comfort foam upon these two layers adds a good feel when jumped on the bed. Memory foam mattresses are the have great air flow. In order to facilitate this airflow, the mattress is covered with a high quality removable and washable fabric that’s breathable.
This mattress has a good motion isolation factor. This means that no matter how much you turn or toss in sleep, the bed on your partner’s side is unaffected. Also, this mattress is really helpful in inducing deep sleep. Our reviewers found out that they had 6 hours worth deep sleep when prior it was about 2 or 3 hours a stretch.
While the mattress is comfortable for families to use, we found that it is not that great of a deal for back pain though advertised as such. We suggest you test this mattress for a while. Moreover, if you do not like it, they always have their 100 day testing period.
We also felt that the colour of the product can be anything other than white as white is easily spoilt. Apart from that, the build quality of the mattress is great and even has a 10-year manufacturer warranty. You can claim this if you find any issues with the quality of the product.
- 100 day trial period.
- 10 Year warranty
- Medium soft and comfortable mattress.
- Breathable and high-quality outer fabric
- More levels of foam add to good density and thus more comfort.
- The outer cover can be easily removed and washed.
- Great Motion Isolation Factor. You cannot disturb your partner by tossing around in bed.
- May not truly work for orthopaedic pains as advertised.
- White bedding may be an issue as it can easily be damaged.
It is difficult to find a budget mattress that also has dual comfort (Soft and Firm). The Comforto Duplex is perhaps the best budget-friendly and premium quality mattress in the list.
As the mattress comes with dual comfort, it is ideal for people with back pain (the hard/firm side) and for people looking to relax and relieve stress (Soft side).
One side of the mattress is stuffed and layered with a dense support firm. This shall be the medium hard/firm side. Now the other side of the mattress is filled with dense soft foam. This will be the medium softer side. These both layers are now closed and knit together with a plush and premium quality quilt fabric.
The thickness of the mattress is available from 4 inches to 5 and 6 inches too. The dimensions of the mattress can be easily customized and even you can talk to the customer service representatives for different dimensions if needed.
Comforto Duplex is made with fine raw materials and this is evident in the durability of the mattress. The outer design of the mattress is smooth-edged giving it a premium look and feel. This has to be the case as the company has been in the mattress business for about 35 years now.
Coming to the warranty for the product, you will be getting 11 years of warranty in this. This includes 2 years of full warranty and the remaining would be a pro-rated warranty. I.e, after 2 years of full warranty on the product, as the time increases, its warranty value decreases. You cannot get the full amount but shall get a certain (significant of course) percentage of refund/ credit on new purchases.
- Budget Friendly
- Dual Comfort makes it ideal for people of all ages and for people with back pain too.
- 11 years warranty available
- Finest quality Raw materials used.
- Pro-rated warranty
An ortho foam mattress that comes with pocket springs and whatever the size you want it to come in. The Springtek Ortho Mattress ends your search for a firm, foam based and bouncy mattress.
Medium firm, this mattress is ideal to help you with your back pain and also neck pain. Ideal for older people but manageable for all ages.
This mattress can be used on either side. That means you can turn it to any side to be used for the same results and comfort.
The comfort secrets of Springtek mattress lie in the 4 layers (including the base). The outer layers are filled with minute pocket spring based foam casings. Above this is a layer of felt support and upon this is is a quilt foam support is placed. All the layers are then topped and closed with a premium quilt knitted onto them.
Warranty for springtek is tricky yet funny. The duration of the warranty is equal to the thickness of the mattress ordered. For instance, if you order a 6 inches thick mattress, you get 6 years of manufacturers warranty. But no-where did we see any compromise in terms of quality of the mattress.
- Good fit for people of all ages.
- Pocket Springs for a good bouncy feel
- 4 layer based mattress
- 6,8 and 10 years warranty available (Depending on the inches of mattress ordered)
- Claims to be medium firm but we have experienced it to be a little soft but manageable.
Next up on the list is an economic choice of Double Cot size foam mattress.
Ideal for bachelors or 2 member families, the Shagun double sized mattress comes with a general 4-inch thick foam. This can be placed on a double cot bed meant for two.
The mattress is not soft and is of a medium hard build. Hence it is ideal for people of all ages to sleep on. The foam used in the mattress is pre-pressed in order to get this hard build. This mattress is incredibly light in weight and can be easily shifted from point A to point B with little efforts.
Shagun also offers a wide range of customizations apart from the 4-inch thickness. With different height and breadth parameters, it also has different thickness choices. If directly contacted with the team, custom specifications are also available.
The product, however, comes with a minor quality issue of the foam used. Though not of top-notch quality, this foam may lead to sagging of the bed over the years of usage. But this seems to be a common issue among budget mattresses.
This mattress comes with a manufacturer warranty period of 5 years. You can claim any damages associated with the product within this period.
- Economic and Budget friendly
- Firm type hence ideal for all ages
- Light in Weight
- Comfortable and customisations available with the seller
- Found minor quality issues here and there
- Not an ideal pick for long term usage.
Buying Guide: Pick the right mattresses that fulfil your requirements:
As mentioned previously, the right mattress will help you sleep better. This will depend on various factors. First and foremost, you have to pick the size of the mattress. You cannot expect a single mattress to fit on every type of bed right?
Size of the mattress:
Indian sizes are different from that of American. The following are the list of sizes that are available and are common in Indian households. These sizes correspond to the bed frame/ cot size that you own.
a) Single Size:
Sized in (72 X 36) inches to (75 X 36) inches, these mattresses are ideal for single cot bed frames. These may seem a little cramped up for an adult but are ideal and big enough for kids to feel comfortable.
b) Double Size:
Sized at (72 X 48) to (75 X 60) inches, these mattresses are essentially almost the double size of a single mattress. And are ideal for 1 heavy individual or 2 normal sized individuals. People who share a bed and are frequent travellers opt for such mattresses.
c) Queen Size:
Sized at (72 X 60) to (78 X 60) inches, this mattress is ideal for 2 large adults to sleep comfortably without any hassle. Most 3 member families tend to buy this (2 parents 1 kid) but that usually isn’t a smart choice. You tend to get cramped up or do not have enough space to move about.
d) King Size:
The largest size in India (unless you have your mattress custom made). It is sized at (72 X 72) to (78 X 72) inches and is perfect for a 3 member family (2 adults and 1 kid). You can even go for it if you are a four-member family too. It may be a bit cramped up, however.
Things to look for in a Mattress before making the purchase
This is an important factor in mattresses. The thickness of any mattress lies between 5 and 15 inches. The average mattress has about 10 inches thickness.
The thickness of the mattress is dependent on the total weight that it would be bearing. If you are heavy, you would feel comfortable in a thick mattress compared to a thin individual who would feel comfortable in a small mattress.
Heavyweight individuals like to prefer a firm mattress as it agrees with their weight. Lightweight individuals(People who weigh about 60 kgs or less) would feel more comfortable in a softer mattress.
Similarly, your sleeping position also decides on what kind of mattress you should be using.
If you are a side sleeper, go for a softer mattress and if you are a stomach or back sleeper, you would be more comfortable on a firm mattress.
By default, a mattress should be having at the least 7 years of life. But depending on usage, material and handling, this lifespan may increase or decrease.
The material with which a mattress is made up of can also affect the durability. For instance, a Choir mattress has a shorter life span than foam and memory foam mattresses. Spring, Foam and Memory Foam mattresses live longer than 7 years. The highest of all is that of airbed and latex mattresses.
4. Body shaping and conforming flexibility of the mattress:
Latex and Memory foam mattresses come which comparatively thicker layers. Thus they can easily align with the body posture while sleeping.
A mattress with a good conforming ability is helpful in preventing any development of pressure points. Furthermore, it aids in the alignment of one’s spine.
You can judge the conforming ability of a mattress by the softness and thickness of the topmost layers.
5. Support of the mattress
Similar to conforming, support of a mattress refers to how easily and comfortably is it for an individual to sleep on it. This is all about a mattress giving a perfectly even surface that will align perfectly with your spine and pelvis.
All mattresses give optimum support initially. But as you go on, the support decreases. Such a decrease is more observable in Latex or Memory foam mattresses.
Never go for a mattress that significantly sinks the heavy parts of the body into the bed. It is not comfortable, it’s just bad news.
6. Motion Isolation Factor:
If you move in your sleep, your partner who sleeps beside you can feel the movement. This is so because whenever you move, the motion is being transferred across the mattress and reaches your partner.
Motion Isolation factor refers to isolation of motion and restricting it to one single place at a time. That means if you move about, your partner would not feel the movement.
Coir, latex and even Foam mattresses are good with motion isolation. Spring mattresses are not an ideal fit as the spring movement cannot restrict the transfer of motion within the mattress.
7. Edge Support:
It is a general habit of sitting on the edge of the bed, getting in via the edge and getting out too.
This practice usually leads to the edge of the bed become soft, sagged and beaten down. This would decrease the overall lifetime value of the mattress.
You can find such problems in most of the latex, gel and foam based mattresses which do not come with any edge support. Coil and high-density foam mattresses usually are reinforced with coil supported cores. They help in generating support when stress is applied to the edges thus retaining the shape of the mattress intact.
8. Odour and Smells:
Mattresses tend to give out unpleasant odours when they are new. This odour is caused due to a few harmless gases that are actually natural in any new mattress.
Ideally, these gases fade away in just a few days. Keep your new mattresses in a room with good ventilation for a day or two before you use it.
9. Mattress Noises:
Well, latex and foam or even coir mattresses do not make any noise as such. But the innerspring the hybrids of spring mattresses can make noises when you jump on or off the bed.
Airbed mattresses, which have electrical components and air chambers within them tend to make a big deal of noise.
10. Temperature consistency:
Mattresses tend to absorb your heat and then trap this heat in between their layers. This will make you feel hotter and may lead to discomfort.
Ideal mattresses should be warm yet in a non-heated way. Foam mattresses are great at this as they are warm and their support cores are solid.
Innerspring and hybrid mattresses are the most temperatures neutral of the lot. The air circulation in this mattress is impeccable and this tends to keep your bed warm enough and yet not too cold too.
Mattresses are heavy to move objects and tire you out easily. A typical king size mattress weighs about 45 -50kgs. Hybrid and Latex model mattresses are heavy in nature.
If you hate carrying around heavy stuff and if you are a frequent traveller and shifter, go for something lite. Airbed, Foam and Spring are lighter alternatives.
Different types of mattresses available in India
Depending on their build materials, comfort zones, technology and other factors, mattresses are either coir, foam, memory foam, Spring, Latex, Rebonded Foam or Air Bed mattresses.
1. Coir Mattresses:
Invented in India, Coir Mattresses are the most economical and eco-friendly mattresses available around the world.
Made out of dried coconut coir, these mattresses are firm in nature and are incredibly affordable. They are made up of fibres hence there would be no motion transfer from one part of the bed to another. If you are someone who constantly shifts in your sleep, these mattresses are a great go to. You won’t be disturbing your partner in their sleep.
As the coir is made up of coconut, these mattresses do not have proper elasticity. Hence prolonged usage will lead to the coir being pressed down and thus the sagging of the mattress. They also may be a bit uncomfortable to sleep on than foam or latex mattresses.
The average lifespan of a coir mattress is 5-6 years.
- No motion transfer
- Firm and thick base.
- May cause a prickly sensation if the sheet/cover is thinner
- Gets sagged down over usage for years
- May alleviate your back pain due to its firmness
- Lower lifespan of the mattress
2. Spring/Coil Mattresses:
As the name suggests, these mattresses come with springs embedded into them literally. This is to add more comfort and a bouncy feel to the mattresses.
There are layers of either foam or latex placed upon the embedded springs for outer comfort and proper structure. Thus, they are also called as Coil mattresses.
These coil mattresses are comfortable to persons suffering from back pain and other position related discomforts.
But the problem with a spring or a coil mattress is the metal spring cutting through the outer sheet covering. This may seem hazardous. Hence always look for strong quilt type or even better fabric for spring and coil based mattresses.
- Mid-Budget-friendly prices
- Bouncy feels
- Ideal for moderate backaches.
- Not ideal for longer durability
- Exhibit motion transfer. You can get disturbed while your partner moves about in his/her sleep.
- If buying of low quality, then chances are the springs break and tear through the upper fabric
3. Foam Mattresses:
Common around the world, foam mattresses have higher durability and are ideal most types of backaches. They come with special foam fillings and are soft and comfortable in nature.
Foam mattresses have motion isolation within them. This means that they do not transfer motion from one side of the bed to another. Thus they are ideal if you wish to buy something on which you can have undisturbed sleep.
They also tend to have good air passage through their large foam cells. They are hence better temperature regulators in times of winter and summer by keeping you warm or cool.
But the problem with foam mattress exists with its sagging. Many foam mattresses tend to sag down towards the edges due to the foam ageing over a period of time.
- Ideal for backaches,hip pains and neck-pains etc.,
- High Durability
- Temperature regulation. Keeps you cool in summer and warm in winters.
- Exhibits motion isolation. No more getting disturbed by your partner due to their tossing in sleep.
- If low quality, foam mattresses can get sagged down.
- Sensitive to high heat.
4. Memory Foam Mattresses
An innovation upon the regular foam mattress, a memory foam, as the name suggests, has memory. Well, not the technical definition of memory but it has the ability to mould into your body shape if you sleep on it for a while. Then it shall keep being in that shape to help you sleep better throughout the night. Like in the image below.
When you apply pressure on the mattress, it will be pressed down and then retains the shape even after you get up from the bed. This is possible because of the open cell strucutre of the foam.
Up, stomach and down sleepers along with Side sleepers love the memory foam mattress. In fact, this is best suited for people who tend to sleep in a single position.
- Ideal for people suffering from spinal or shoulder pains.
- The moulding and conforming ability of the mattress makes it the best pick for side or single position sleepers.
- These mattresses are temperature regulator and can perfectly juggle the air flow
- The build material is polyurethane, hence it can repel off any dust and allergies as such that effects the mattress and you too.
- Though good for spinal or shoulder pain, not ideal for older generations and severe back pain as the mattress is too soft.
- Not great for people who like to constantly toss around in sleep.
- Can be a bit smelly, Better use mattress perfumes to counter it.
5. Rebound Foam Mattresses:
These are the budget and eco-friendly alternatives to other foam mattresses. These are made by combining and compressing all the scrap foam available. These scrapped materials are then attached together using various adhesives and glues.
This is an economic solution as well as the material used is recycled, it also adds to the ecological value. They are even better at being durable than coir mattresses and even have the bouncy feel of a regular foam mattress.
But care must be taken about the material being used. For best results, always try and find a mattress that is CertiPUR-US certified for non toxicity.
- Economic and budget friendly
- Give good support for shoulder based pains
- Can have ample bounciness even without the presence of springs.
- As they are made out of scrap materials, watch out for toxicity. Always buy CertiPUR-US certified mattresses.
- These can be inflammable in nature. Keep away from anything that can cause a fire.
6. Latex Mattresses
Made out of either natural or synthetic rubber based materials, Latex mattresses are alternatives to foam mattresses. They provide the same amount of bounciness and memory foam properties within them.
Latex mattresses are made out of many polyfoams and other synthetic materials to provide different properties. A few are extra smooth and soft while a few are hard depending on the proportionate mixture of these materials.
These mattresses are ideal to relieve shoulder pains, backaches and are incredibly awesome for people who wish to sleep in a single position for a longer time.
They are also temperature regulated and have a higher lifespan (more than 8 years typically) than average mattresses. This is due to the fact that they are far denser than a standard mattress.
Latex comes in two major types. Dunlop latex and Talalay latex. Dunlop latex has a heavier base and is used for bases of major mattresses. The Talalay latex is a mixture of both lighter and heavier froth of the foam.
- Have great bouncy feel to them like spring mattresses.
- Can be either soft or hard depending on the requirements
- Temperature regulated and do not heat up easily
- Longer life span for the mattresses due to their denser body composition
- Can help ease body aches and back pains along with shoulder pains too.
- Expensive out of all mattresses
- The rubber used may lead to some odour forming. Use mattress perfumes to counter it.
A portable and easy to move, airbeds are inflatable alternatives to normal mattresses. They are usually used for guest rooms and for camping purposes.
Made out of Poly Vinyl Chloride (PVC), they can be sometimes made out of synthetic rubber as well.
Waterbeds: These are similar to Airbeds but contain water inside them. Instead of inflating them with air, you gush cool water into them. Mostly used as summer mattresses or used by people who suffer from lower back pain.
Air beds have controlled thickness due to their inflated nature. Hence they are also used by people with lower back pain and patents on bed rest for a longer duration of time. This reduces the risk of bed sores in them.
Airbeds are also a common phenomenon in pools and swimming areas as they keep you floated above water surfaces.
- Cheap and Easily transportable
- Can be used by people with lower back aches and bedridden patients
- Does not sag often of much
- Does not absorb heat from your body. Moreover, water beds help dissipate heat when used in summer and keep you cool.
- Are prone to get punctured and damaged easily.
- They are one side flocked. I.e, one side used to sleep. Advisable that you find something that is flocked and usable on two sides.
How to set up a memory foam mattress
Foam mattresses usually come in a rolled up packaging and it has become a trend lately to choose a rolled up bedding delivered to your doorstep. The mattress is sent in by compressed in the factory and then rolled up into a neat package to be delivered and assembled by the buyers.
Step 1: Open the casing and take out the rolled mattress.
Step 2: Spread out the mattress on the bed and make sure it fills in all the corners.
Step 3: Take small scissors or a knife. Most sellers of foam mattresses provide with a small opener which is available with the packaging.
Step 4: Cut open the plastic around the mattress packaging exposing the inner mattress to air.
Step 5: Wait for just a few minutes as the mattress absorbs the air surrounding to it and inflates to its original intended size.
Common Myths and Frequently Asked Questions about Mattresses?
Mattresses might seem like any other ordinary furniture. You may sometimes get lost in the craze on why there is such a big deal about mattresses. But trust me, it IS a big deal. With its deal are associated with many myths that come along. We decided to demystify some of the myths about mattresses.
Myth 1: A soft mattress is all I need forever to sleep in peace.
No. Soft mattresses are good for comfort and relaxation. But they are not always the case. They may not be ideal for people with back pain.
Myth 2: I just need to buy the hardest mattress there is to cure my Back pain.
A big no. Mattresses need to be equal amounts of soft and a bit firm too. Back pain obviously requires a mattress that is towards the firm end but a totally firm mattress would be worse than sleeping on a stone. Choose a mattress that is firm yet soft for use.
Myth 3: I need to wait till my mattress has sagged out entirely before I buy a new one
Once a mattress begins to lose its elasticity, it begins to lose its charm and helpful nature. Actually, it will do more harm to you than good. Sagged mattress cause back pains and may result in an irregular sleep pattern. Better to invest in good nights sleep than to a hospital. It is better to have a change of mattress every 8 or 9 years.
Myth 4: Memory foam is the most comfortable and best mattress there is
A mattress is best only when it suits your specific requirements. Memory foam is comfortable for most but it may not be ideal for people who constantly suffer from back pains.
Myth 5: Foam mattresses with gels are cool and temperature regulators.
Gels in mattresses are placed in order for better regulation of temperature. It is ideal in dissipating heat and keeps you cool at most times.
Myth 6: I should always flip my mattress every few months to keep it from damage.
As we also mentioned in our tips below, this is true only for mattresses which are the same on both sides. But you cannot expect this to work for dual comfort or single-sided spring mattresses. Dual comfort needs to be flipped only when you need the other comfort and single-sided have to stay as they are designed. One-sided.
Myth 7: Washing my bed sheets, linens and outer casings are enough to keep my mattress clean.
I’m sure you have thought of the billion microbes that live in your bed. In order to keep your bed clean, clean the sheets. Yes. But also clean the mattress as a whole. You can use various methods of cleaning to remove stains or keep the mattress clean which is explained below.
How to clean and maintain a mattress?
Cleaning a mattress is a bit of a task. You cannot clean it like any other garment or shirt. Mattresses are even prone to various stains such as coffee, urine, blood etc., It is not like you can dip it in a bucket of water and call it a day.
Depending on the material type, type of stains and availability of resources, cleaning methods change.
1.Using a Vacuum cleaner:
- Clear out all the clothes and other casings present on the bed.
- Take out the mattress from its frame and then place it towards an isolated place.
- Start vacuuming it from all directions
2. Remove stains with Baking soda, the natural disinfectant
- Baking soda is a natural disinfectant.
- Take a small cup of baking soda.
- Spray it all over the mattress, particularly in areas of stain.
- Now scrub the mattress all over.
- Areas with stain need to be scrubbed with more baking soda.
- Let the mattress sit for a while
3. Vacuum Again
- Allowing the soda soaked mattress sit for a while makes the oil and dirt to attach themselves to the baking soda molecules.
- Now use the vacuum cleaner over the soda soaked mattress
- The vacuum will clear out the odours along with the humidity present in the mattress
Other types of stains removal:
1. How to remove Blood stains:
- Take a small rag and pour about 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, some liquid soap and some table salt.
- Pour this mixture onto the stain and allow it to sit for a while.
- Now use the rag and rub in a circular motion till the stain goes away.
- Best results, use a white rag
2. How to remove Urine stains:
- Take the same solution as above. A tablespoon of Hydrogen Peroxide, liquid soap and some table salt.
- Use a white rag and dab the solution in the stained area
- Let it sit for a while as it goes away.
- Now use some detergent and rub the area with the detergent.
- Use a duster or a vacuum cleaner to clear off the powdered detergent and watch as the stain becomes spotless.
3. How to remove Vomit stains:
- You would need ammonia for this
- Open the windows and doors as to not let the rooms smell.
- Pour undiluted and concentrated ammonia onto the stain.
- Now use wet cloth and rub away the stained area clearly.
- After the vomit stain has been removed, sprinkle some baking soda onto the top
- Now rub it with another dry rag and then vacuum to remove the soda powder off the mattress.
- The baking soda is used to attenuate the strong odour of ammonia.
Tips for Longer Life of Mattresses
- Wash the linens and outer casings regularly. Once every month should do it.
- Use a mattress protector if possible. There are even waterproof protectors available which can increase the life of your mattress to many folds.
- Flip the mattress to the other side once every 6 months to maintain the consistency of the foam/coir/coil. Most mattresses work the same on two sides (unless you have a dual comfort mattress or a spring mattress).
- Keep your pets away from the beds. Dogs or Cats with their paws can slowly deteriorate the string consistency. It will cause the threading to become loose and thereby decrease the life of the mattress.
- Avoid getting into bed barefoot. Try wearing a pair of socks for extra comfort or wash your hands and feet before getting into bed
- Make sure you have the correct mattress that fits perfectly with your bed frame. Fitting an over large mattress in a small bed might seem comfortable or the chalta hain style. But in the longer run, it will decrease the life of the mattress considerably.
- In case if you are an airbed or waterbed mattress, owner/user, make sure that you are deflating the beds often. Stagnant air can cause problems not just to you but the mattress as well. It may pop out and burst if used for longer durations. Keep deflating it and inflating it from time to time.
- Know the weight capabilities of mattresses before buying. Foam and Latex mattresses are capable of holding on greater weights. Increased weight can decrease the mattress’s life.
- Try to get a waterproof and easily washable bed sheet or cover casings if you can. They protect your mattress from any stains or any other fluids/humidity causing damage to the mattress.
Mattresses are essential investments. All the work a Human does is to get enough food and a peaceful sleep at the end of the day. With over 20 years warranty and the usage of best possible materials for longer durability, our research points towards the WakeFit orthopaedic mattress as the best pick.
What do you think? Do you have any questions pertaining to mattresses that you wish to ask our team of experts? Please write your views and questions as comments so that we can get back to you as fast as possible.