Investing in a good quality mattress for your good night sleep is important but how would you protect your mattress from the accidental spills, sweat and nasty odours?
An average person spends 8 hours of a day and 30% of his life sleeping, so investing on a good mattress definitely worth it, but why not protecting it? Not just for its good but yours too!
Since you use it for years and it’s almost impossible to wash your mattress, it becomes a healthy breeding ground for the mites, mould, bacteria and loads of other pests and parasites. They like feeding on your sweat, your shaded skin flakes and the food particles that you left over it and these ultimately lead to several skin allergies, eczema even asthma, which you would never want to experience. This is exactly why you should also think of ways to protect your mattress and the one and only way is to get yourself a mattress protector.
A mattress protector is a sheet of cloth that is tuck onto a mattress or lay over it to cover it entirely and close with a zip. These are not just a mere piece of cloth, some of them are waterproof, hypoallergenic, draws sweat off you and some has cooling capabilities for those who need it. A good mattress cover will safeguard you against the followings-
- Spills and food particles
- Dust and soil
- Bed bugs and mites
- Sweat and moisture
- Unpleasant odour
Mattress cover saves you from all of these making it more durable, maintaining its newness while adding an extra layer of comfort to your sleep. They come in various shapes and styles, usually made with polyester, cotton, rayon with a waterproof material layer such as vinyl or polyurethane. A good quality cover is not noticeable, feels soft more like a premium bed-sheet.
If you have decided on buying a mattress cover, make sure you research. However, it is quite difficult to search for random brands without having proper knowledge of the materials and fabrics they use. There are some other things too that you need to take into account before you finally buy something.
Also, we have selected a few products which are the best you can find in the market right now. Hopefully, our research will spare you some time and effort that could have been wasted on clueless wandering to make a good purchase.
List of Best Mattress Protector in India
|Mattress Protector||Material||Size||Warranty||Buy Now|
|Cloth Fusion Waterproof Cotton Mattress Protector||Polyurethane||King||6 months||Check the Price|
|Trance Home Linen Waterproof Mattress Protectors||Terry Cotton||King||--||Check the Price|
|Wake fit Waterproof Mattress Protector||Terry Cotton||King||--||Check the Price|
|Oyo Baby - Hypoallergenic Waterproof Mattress Protector||Terry Cotton||King||--||Check the Price|
|Manish Cotton Dust proof Waterproof Mattress Protector||Cotton||Queen||--||Check the Price|
|Linenwalas Terry Mattress Protector- 100%Waterproof and Dust proof||Terry Cotton||Queen||1 year ||Check the Price|
|Amazon Basics Waterproof Twin Bed Mattress Protector||Terry Cotton||Twin||1 year||Check the Price|
Top 7 Best Mattress Protectors Reviews in India 2019
To keep the mattress free from stains, dust particles one must have Cloth fusion mattress protectors at home. It is made of cotton materials and is highly waterproof nature. Hence, we’ve given top priority in the list of best mattress protectors in India.
This mattress protector is available in 3 layers i.e. cotton quilted surface, microfiber sheet and a PU laminated waterproof sheet to protect against allergens, bacteria, and dust mites. Further, it absorbs the moisture and helps you sleep comfortably at night times.
Airflow technology promotes air circulation throughout the protector, keeps 100% waterproof, and help to repel liquids. It is absolutely machine washable and make sure the detergents does not contain bleach while washing.
Apart from the comfort and luxury options, the product manufacturer offers 6 months of warranty services from the date of purchase.
Overall, this amazing product is available in king size with 78*72 inch dimensions. It is available in different sizes and colors to match with the customer’s requirements. So, choose the right one that perfectly fits for home interiors.
What we love
- Very economical to buy.
- Comes with 3 layer protection.
- Available in maroon color, king size.
- 6 months of manufacturing warranty.
- Made of polyurethane and cotton materials.
- Suitable for kids, youngsters, adults, and elders.
- Waterproof and dust proof mattress protectors.
What we hate
- Services are n’t good.
- You won’t get pillow covers.
Buying a mattress isn’t enough, you should also have Trance home linen protector to cover the bed and have restful sleep.
What made so special is it uses 200 GSM+terry cotton fabric material which is more absorbent and gives a comfortable feel while you sleep.
This decent quality mattress protector is available in multiple colors – brown, blue, grey and ivory yellow at reasonable prices. You can also pick the right size – king, queen, double, single to match with the bed size.
The top layer is made using ultra-absorbent cotton material to regulate the body temperature and keep it cools, noiseless. It protects against the allergens such as dust mites, pet dander, etc. and greatly supports to the elders when they change their sleeping position.
Zipper style design helps to protect the 6 mattress sides and you can access it anytime depending on the home needs. The protector is 100% waterproof and designed using Airflow technology to offer proper air circulation.
Wash the mattress protector once in a month to keep the device fresh and hygiene. You can wash manually or put it in washing machines using a mild detergent/liquid soap.
What we love
- Noiseless fabric.
- Easy to wash and maintain.
- Absolutely a machine washable.
- Best waterproof mattress protector.
- Eco-friendly and breathable options.
- Protects against bacteria and dust mites.
- 200 GSM of hypoallergenic terry cotton material.
- Airflow technology facilitates the air circulation.
What we hate
- Takes time to dry the mattress protector.
During chilling winter months, you need to give warmness to the body. It is done by adding Wake fit mattress protector to the bed. It is one of the finest quality mattress protectors that come with flexible options like comfort, breathable and noiseless.
In contrast with the above mattress protector’s brands, Wake fit is available at cheap rates and comes in different sizes to match with the customer needs and deeds.
TPU – Thermoplastic Poly Urethane film makes the protector absolutely a waterproof and allows the air to circulate freely. It helps you to protect against the bacteria, pollen, dust particles, and other fluids.
Terry cotton layer provides smooth feel and keep the sleeping surface cool. It even absorbs the moisture and offers the best ever sleeping experience. You can hold the protector using the cotton lycra case with the elastic strap.
To conclude, the performance of Wake fit king size mattress protector is excellent and best to use on big-sized beds. It is a hypoallergenic protector that prevents allergens like pollen or dust mites from entering the mattress.
What we love
- Machine washable mattress protector.
- Does not contain PVC, Vinyl or Phthalates.
- 862 grams of mattress protector’s weight.
- Made of 200 GSM terrycloth mattress material.
- Protects against bacteria, pollen’s, and dust mites.
What we hate
- No disclosure of warranty services.
Investing on best quality mattress protector is what you have to do to stay healthy and make the interior – bedrooms look attractive. One such product in the list is Oyo baby mattress protector cover.
This is by far the best mattress protector in India available online that comes in 3 different sizes – King, Queen and Single. It offers amazing protection against allergens, dust mites, bacteria, and fluids which makes it ideal for those sensitive to allergens, asthma patients, elders, kids and pets.
It is highly durable and the advanced covering mechanism protects against moisture and stains. Also, it comes with machine washable options. With the help of mild detergents you can keep the protector hygiene for a long-time.
The terry cotton fabric is coated with breathable, and waterproof layer that makes it comfortable, noiseless and cool and enhances the sleeping experience. It absorbs moisture efficiently and traps dust particles, or allergens that can easily be washed away.
On the whole, this is the best mattress protector for double bed as it is available in king size. It is well suited for asthma patients because it is made of hypoallergenic materials that does not result any side effects.
Mattress Protectors Care Instructions
- Do not give it for iron and dry cleaning.
- Wash with hot or cold water using mild soaps.
- Dry the mattress protector at low temperatures – 135˚F.
What we love
- Comes at inexpensive rates.
- Features airflow technology.
- Lightweight and durable nature.
- Best king size mattress protector.
- Made of premium cotton materials.
- 100% waterproof mattress protector.
- Fit for mattress of thickness 10-inches.
- Cool, breathable and absolutely noiseless.
What we hate
- Skirting cover made of polyester fabric.
A mattress protector is a thin and removable piece of bedding that can be set on top of a mattress. It not only extends the mattress life, but also improves the quality of sleep by enhancing bed comfort.
If you are looking for a budget friendly mattress protector, then it’s good to have uppercut dust proof mattress protector at home.
We’re impressed with the lifespan which is bit higher than other branded mattress protector models. It comes in a lightweight design, easy to maintain and is machine washable using a normal detergent.
Airflow technology and side panels are designed specially to circulate the air. Moreover, it helps to stay fresh and sleep in a comfortable position. Using the elastic bands, you can easily fit the protector on mattress.
It is made of soft fabric cotton material to dissipate the body heat to create a comfortable sleep and is available in queen size with 72*60 inch dimensions.
You can buy mattress protector online without having a second thought because it is backed with a breathable membrane to protect the top and sides of your mattress from fluids, stains, dust mites and allergens.
What we love
- Comes at affordable prices.
- Queen size mattress protector.
- Machine washable, easy to use.
- Suitable for asthma and allergic patients.
- Available in maroon, white, grey, beige colors.
- Offers quick sleep by dissipating the body heat.
What we hate
- Easily fade away.
- Wrinkles on the sides.
This linenwalas queen size mattress protector is best to use on single and double cot beds. It is made of fine quality materials to protect against the stains, accidental spills, bed bugs and potential allergens like dust mites, pet dander, microbes, etc.
This mattress protector makes use of terrycloth primary material with comfortable and easy to clean functionality. The hypoallergenic polyester upholstery produces less noise and is 100% waterproof and dust proof.
The bottom layer of the mattress protector is made using TPU lamination for absorbing the liquids. 360˚ elastic bands are good and perfectly fit over the mattress.
To conclude, the performance of Linenwalas mattress protector is good and best to use for bed bugs. It has come with the customized options by varying the sizes – king, queen, double, and single. And this waterproof and dust proof mattress protector is backed with 1 year of manufacturing warranty.
What we love
- 360˚ elastic band for perfect fit.
- Suitable for children and youngsters.
- 1 year of manufacturing warranty.
- Made of dust mite resistant materials.
- Best memory foam mattress protectors.
- Available in king, standard, queen, and single size.
What we hate
- Polyester layer gets wrinkles easily.
You will be overwhelmed to know that this Linenwalas mattress protector is available in King Size.
Finally, we end up with Amazon Basics Waterproof mattress protector.
Mattress protectors are made using lightweight and breathable cotton terry material that absorb water and other fluids quickly and can be washed and cleaned with ease.
This premium quality waterproof mattress protector covers up the mattress efficiently and provides great sleeping experience. It is the only mattress protector in the list that supports any type of mattress up to 18-inches by meeting the safety and environmental standards.
The hypoallergenic design promotes better sleep for allergy sufferers. It is made using vinyl and PVC-free materials to secure mattresses from fluids, yet allows air to pass through for ultimate comfort.
To recapitulate, this breathable mattress protector offers exceptional performance and is a great choice for those with allergies, or asthma. It is well wrapped in a transparent cover and comes in different sizes- king, queen, twin, single, twin XL to support the bed cots.
What we love
- Breathable and noiseless.
- Hypoallergenic cotton surface.
- Fitted sheet style design structure.
- Made of vinyl and PVC free materials.
- Cheapest waterproof mattress protector.
- Backed with 1 year of warranty services.
What we hate
- Available in single color.
- It’s not easy to remove stains (white mattress protector).
Mattress Protector Buying guide
Is a Mattress Protector worth your investment?
Some may think that if you keep your bed-sheets and blankets clean and avoid eating or drinking on the bed, there is no need to protect your mattress with another protector, but customers who research and gives importance to cleanliness and a good night sleep would understand why it is so important to cover your mattress.
Think it as insurance like you would make for your new car or the new smartphone that you can’t think of using without a cover. A mattress protector offers ways to protect it from dust mites, bed bugs, sweat and allergies while withstanding wear and tear without causing damage to the mattress. So consider it as an investment and follow our buying guide.
Why do you need to buy a mattress protector?
- Avoid Accidental Spills- wine, tea, coffee, hot chocolate taste better when served at bed at the same time increasing chances of accidental spills and crumbs and some of these can leave stubborn stains that stay forever. So the best way to protect is to opt for a waterproof mattress. It creates an impenetrable layer that prevents any liquid to soak by your mattress.
- Prevent allergies- 10% of a pillow weight is the dust mites and their poops, a mattress can have 1-10 millions of them. They can penetrate your bed-sheet and while you sleep and feed on your dead skin. They are the common cause of allergies while some other things like pet dander, fur, pollen also contribute to allergies. Inhaling any of these can lead to allergic reactions, asthma other or respiratory illness. Using mattress cover that is hypoallergic lets you sleep in peace without a runny nose, constant sneezing or itching.
- Protection against bed bugs and skin rashes- they are small parasites that feed on human blood. They can settle in all kind of fabrics are found near their food source. They start sucking blood as you sleep. A beg bug infestation can cause severe skin rashes, itching and bleeding and a bed that is infested by them are left with no choice than throwing away.
These are the benefits that you commonly get from a mattress cover but there are some conditions and situations so vital that you cannot and you should not think of using your mattress without a mattress protector. They can be any of the following:
- You sweat a lot- some of us have experienced waking up from sleep completely drenched in sweat. This happens often and this is called night sweat or hot flush. Your mattress ends up soaking all these moisture which results in the formation of mould, mildew and ultimately an unpleasant smell which you often get from the old mattresses.
- You have children around- kids will behave like kids, they are accident prone and intentionally or unintentionally they spill and spread food particles on your bed. If you have babies you change their diapers and stories of pooping and puking on the beds are very common. They wet your bed until toddlerhood and that’s the reason you should always cover your mattress if you have kids at home.
- You have frequent guest visits- a mattress protector is a must if you share your beds to your guests or you give them on rent. While a mattress protector will allow you to offer your guests a hygienic place to sleep it will also keep stains, spills and moisture off your mattress.
- You have an expensive mattress- if you have spent a substantial amount on your mattress hoping that you will sleep well and it will last long, you should protect it. A mattress is not something that you purchase every year even if they come with warranties, they can go null and void with just one stain and prevention is always better than cure.
How to choose the right mattress protector?
1. Choose your type
- Dust mites mattress protector- they are antimicrobial agents that inhibit the growth of dust mites and other harmful microbes. If your mattress has big pores, the mites can easily penetrate through them.
- Waterproof mattress protector- made with waterproof fabric that blocks your mattress from absorbing spills, sweat, moisture, urine etc. People who sweat a lot, have kids at home or sleep with their pets can use it to prevent mould formation, stains, and unpleasant odour.
- Bed bug-proof mattress protector – they are zipped covers that encase the entire bed. They are made with a synthetic fabric that is too thick for the bugs to enter. For best results make sure the protector is entomology lab tested.
2. Fabric that you are most comfortable in
- Cotton- feels soft and smooth. Breathable and stays cooler, eco-friendly, suitable for all seasons, most natural fabric. Absorbs moisture but doesn’t wick it. Can be disadvantageous if you sweat a lot!
- Polyester- synthetic material, feels satiny but thinner than cotton. They wick moisture easily and dries up quickly. It is lightweight, so it is easy to wash and springs back to normal after every wash due to its elasticity. Their major drawback is they are not as soft as cotton, heats up quickly and retain odour.
- Rayon- semi-synthetic material. Feels cooler, looks like cotton but are slippery. Made with natural material but uses various chemicals. They are more breathable than cotton, lightweight and gentle on skin. Doesn’t wick away moisture like polyester and wrinkles very easily.
- Tencel Lyocell- very soft and smooth. Made with wood pulp and organic ingredients. They are highly breathable, inhibits mould and mildew formation. They are hypoallergenic, wicking fabric and most suitable for sensitive skin.
To make the protector waterproof manufacturers use a layer of adhesive that stops the leakage. Some materials that they use are-
- Vinyl- feels like leather or plastic. They are cool, water and stain resistant can be cleaned with simply wiping them. While some vinyl contains phthalates which are believed to be not fully safe for pregnant women and children! However, there are Vinyl mattress protectors that are phthalate free.
- Polyurethane– plastic polymers, supple, breathable and are excellent waterproof fabrics. Unlike other fabric materials, they create less noise by producing less friction.
3. Ways it holds your mattress
- Fitted- fitted protectors fit on the mattress much like a sheet and the corners are tucked under the edges of the mattress.
- Elastic Strap – some protectors come with elastic straps on all 4 corners that wrap around the corners of the mattress.
- Zippered- zippered protectors are used to entirely cover the mattress from top to bottom then close with a zip. They are made using tough fabrics such as vinyl or polyurethane to hold the zipper.
4. Is it breathable?
The term breathability means, how much air can pass through your mattress cover. This is one of the main factors that need your consideration, as the more air passes through your cover lesser the chances of mildew formation and accumulation of mites, dust and other pests. Also if it has enough breathability it will soak your moisture and will get dry easily thus reducing the chances of picking up any unpleasant smell from your sweat or bed-wetting.
Now there is a lot of difference between what the manufacturer says and what they provide. Only the premium quality covers come with optimum breathability. To avoid choosing the wrong one, take a look at its materials and its reviews.
5. Is it comfortable?
Mattress protector’s job is to protect the mattress and since it stays underneath it doesn’t have much to do with your comfort. But if you choose something with an extra thick layer of fabrics they can add cushioning on the top of the mattress. Their layering and the knitting style depends on how much comfortable it will be. Knitting like jacquard and loft can make you feel warmer, so if you want to keep yourself cool go for cooling mattress protectors.
6. Is it hypoallergenic?
If you suffer from allergies there can be bugs and mites under and inside your mattress. A zipped mattress protector which will cover the whole mattress is most suitable in this case. You should also look for fabric material that is enough thick to prevent the mites from entering into your bed-sheet. Some protectors have hypoallergenic features, they are the best choice if you suffer from eczema, allergy or respiratory illness.
7. Does it make noise?
Some fabrics and materials used in the mattress protectors can make noise while you move as you sleep. These are more common with covers which give a plastic-like feel. Fabrics like cotton or blended synthetics are softer and don’t make any noise.
8. Is it machine washable?
Your mattress protector is going to face a lot of stains, spills, dirt, sweat and other unplanned accidents. It is designed to perform that job and so it should be easily removable and washable. Regular washing of the cover will keep the mattress clean, sanitized and free from stinks. Hand cleaning may be a good option but needs a lot more time and effort which we cannot promise. So better you look for something that is machine washable so you only need to chuck it in the washing machine and get the cleaning done. Just don’t forget to follow the care instructions.
9. Look for the warranty
Look for the ones which have a warranty, because you wouldn’t want to waste your money on something that totally fails its job and starts wearing sooner than expectations. Now there is a lot of misleading information between what the claim and what they actually do. The good quality protectors from a good brand will always be backed up by warranty period from 1-10 years.
Mattress Protector’s Customers FAQs
If your mattress protector is fitted to your bed and doesn’t cover it entirely it will only help keeping the top of mattress clean. They do protect against dust mites, accidental spills and stains but fails in other tasks. A zippered mattress which will cover the mattress from every side is for utmost protection. If they are waterproof and made with breathable fabrics they will also protect your bed from mildew and unpleasant odour formation.
A mattress protector that is not waterproof soaks moisture, sweat and may not be that effective as it cannot prevent mildew formation, which is a major problem with mattresses. If your mattress protector that prevents all kind of spill stains, moisture, bed bugs and mites will definitely add more life to your mattress considering you follow the care instructions and wash it less common.
No! A cover and a protector are two different things. A cover is usually made of memory foam and latex, with a thick padding which is used to add some comfort on the top of a mattress, while a protector is made of thin sheet of fabric sometimes with waterproof layer or bug-proof materials intended to protect the mattress.
A mattress protector is a removable bedding sheet which is placed on the top of the mattress. If you use a mattress topper you should keep it inside the protector. But we suggest you if you already own a mattress topper try use fitted protector. It is easier to remove and wash.
Most protectors can be washed and dried using a washing machine. They can be hand washed and line dried if you want, but wash them in low temperatures. Some of the fabrics can be wiped off with a wet or dry cloth. So when necessary, in case of spills or stains you can spot clean that area with mild soap and water.
If the mattress protector label has mentioned that it can be washed in 60 degree or even 90 degree temperatures, then go for that. It will require less detergent and less time to wash. But it if doesn’t mention anything try to wash them in low temperature as high temperature can cause damage to the waterproof adhesives.
Mattress protectors start to wear out as their top layer or the waterproof adhesive falls off, this happens due to washing. Depending on its quality and how much you wash it, it will last from several months to quite a few years. If you find that your protector is wearing thin or leaking the spills into the mattress its time you should consider replacing your mattress protector
Many of us are unaware of mattress protectors that play a prominent role in improving the sleep quality. Once you get to know the surprising benefits of mattress protectors, you will love the product. It is suitable for all age groups – kids, toddlers, youngsters, teens, adults, and elders and provides a peaceful sleep.
As per our choice, we have picked Cloth Fusion Mattress Protector as the best because it is available in 3 layers to deter bacteria, dust, and other harmful particles. It is available in king size to support single, double beds due to the flexible options.
Was the information provided in the above article helpful in choosing the right mattress protector for your home (i.e. matching with the bed size)? Which one of them did you choose? Which mattress protector were you using earlier? Share your experiences and queries in the comments section below. We are more than happy to help you.