Refrigerator is definitely one of the most important appliances in any Indian kitchen. It helps to keep the food stay fresh for longer.
Despite its long list of benefits, sometimes you may experience some troubles. In most of the cases, these problems can be fixed without any professional help. And some problems may require professional help.
In this article, we have provided a list of common problems faced by a refrigerator and ways to fix them yourself.
1. Not Enough Cooling in the Refrigerator
This is one of the common problems you face with a refrigerator. There are several reasons that lead to refrigerator cooling problem. We have provided some of them below…
- Dirty Condenser Coils – Check out the coils present behind the refrigerator. If you see dust, cobwebs or dirt accumulated on the coils, then it is the reason for not enough cooling. To fix the problem, you have to clean the thoroughly.
- Clogged Condenser Fan – Clogged fan can result in slow rotation which increases the temperature inside the refrigerator. Solving this issue is pretty simple. You have to remove the evaporator cabinet and replace the fan with new one.
- Temperature Control Thermostat – If this unit has any fault, then it will not send voltage to compressor, condenser fan motor and evaporate fan motor. This issue cannot be resolved on your own. So, we recommend getting help from professionals.
- Issue in Capacitor – If there is any fault or problem with the capacitor, then compressor will not start. This issue also requires professional help.
2. Not Enough Defrosting
This is one of the common problems faced with refrigerators. If enough defrosting is not happening, then freezer will get filled up with ice. Below are some of the reasons for its cause.
- Fault in Defrost Control Board – When the board fails, the refrigerator will not start the defrost cycle. Get professional help to replace it.
- Defrost Timer – If there is defect in defrost timer, defrost cycle will not get completed or it will not send signal to defrost heater. The timer should be replaced in this case.
- Defrost Heater Assembly – If the defrost heater is not properly assembled, then it will stop working leading to accumulation of frost on evaporative coils. You have to replace the heater assembly unit.
- Defrost Thermostat – A defective defrost thermostat will prevent power from flowing to the defrost heater. This requires professional help to fix this issue.
- Sensor Fuse – This is responsible detecting sense ice and initiate defrost process. In some cases, restarting the sensor fuse will do the trick. If it is still not working, then you have to replace the whole set. For this, you may need professional help.
3. Water Leakage
Water leakage from refrigerator happens when water supply line is filled up (with dust or ice) and splashes water continuously. This can also happen when drain pipe gets clogged with different impurities like vegetable leaves, scraps, food particles, and others. Clogged or blocked drain will eventually let the water flow off or drop from the drain.
To resolve this issue, you can pour some water into the blocked drain at few minute intervals. To remove any litter accumulated, use a bent hanger.
In some cases, this issue can be caused due to defect in shut-off valve or water supply. To resolve this issue, close the valve present behind the panel of refrigerator. This will clear the blockage as well as any wear and tear. Once again test the water supply line and fix it accordingly.
4. Producing Strange Noises
A refrigerator makes noises (low or high) when a condenser fan motor stops working. This usually happens due to blockage. Usually, condenser fan gets blocked when litter or dirt gets accumulated in propeller blades during rotation. The clicking sound is produced because of this litter. You can resolve this issue by unplugging the refrigerator unclogging the blades with warm water and baking soda solution.
However, if you are experiencing sounds in the freezer, then the issue can be different. Usually, sounds in freezer can be caused when there is not enough space between the refrigerator and wall. This leads to vibration and lots of noise. It can be resolved by making some space or moving the refrigerator few inches away from the wall.
5. Refrigerator Light Not Working
Light is important as it helps you see inside the refrigerator. However, the light is also prone to regular wear and tear. In most of the cases, light bulb has to be simply replaced with a new one. If the LED strip or light is still not working even after replacement, then it is clear that there is an issue with socket or light board. In such case, it is better to consult a professional.
6. Food Freezing at Bottom Part
The lower part of the refrigerator is not designed to get frosted. If the food is turning out frozen or having frost bites, then it is considered abnormal. There are several reasons that can lead to this issue.
One of the main reasons is that there may be insufficient food on the compartment compared to surface area limitation. Because of less food items compared to cool air, the food may turn out frozen.
Frozen food can also be caused due to irregular temperature points or if the temperature is not set correctly. If the temperature is too low, then it can lead to frozen food, especially at the bottom part. If that is the case, then you can resolve it by setting up regulatory points at optimum temperature. Or you can store appropriate amount of food as per the limitations or place negligible food at the bottom.
7. Ice Building Inside Fridge
If you see ice building up in the fridge, then it needs your quick attention. This issue has to be resolved as soon as possible. There are several reasons that lead this issue. Some of them are inaccurate sealing of fridge and doors are kept open for a long time. Loose doors or careless closure of doors will let the external air accumulate within the refrigerator and lead to build up of excessive ice. If there is a defect in door seals, then air will pass through and lead to build up of ice.
If ice is building up, then it can clog up the chambers and create imbalanced humidity levels. Keeping the door seals tight and maintaining the doors sealed is the most important preventive measure.
To solve the issue, you can have to unclog the apertures, turn off the refrigerator and use warm water to remove excess ice buildup. Now make sure there is enough space between the fridge and the wall behind so that excess is released properly. Now you can plug the refrigerator again and ensure the compressor is cooling properly once the changes are done.
8. Ice Maker Isn’t Working
Issues with ice maker cannot be left unnoticed, especially during summer months as you may need cool water or ice for your juicer/milkshakes. Below are the common reasons that may have caused this problem.
- Blocked Waterline – Usually, this type of clogging is caused due to ice stuck in the pipe. Another reason can be kinked waterline. Both these issues can be resolved with simple tricks. First, you have to stop the water supply. You can do this by turning off the shut-off valve. Now turn off the refrigerator for at least two hours so that accumulated ice melts away. However, if you want to speed up the melting process, then you can use hot water. You can choose any option as per your convenient.
- Tripper Ice Bucket Sensor – Most of the latest refrigerators come with special sensor that has the capability to sense ice bucket. With time, ice can get accumulated between the walls and bin. This will move the bin from its place and trip the sensor. If this happens, the refrigerator will think bin is missing and stops generating ice altogether. To solve this issue, you have melt down the ice accumulation and remove the excess water. For that, you have to take out the ice bin, and defrost it. You can speed up the process of defrosting by providing a hot bath. Also make sure the accumulated ice on the sensor. Manual process is the best process. After that, you have to remove the excess water or moisture using a clean towel and place the bin back inside.
Few Words to Conclude…
Refrigerator can strike problems any time after the purchase. If they occur under the warranty duration, then the company will cover up the repairs. Usually, the warranty period lasts for a maximum of few years. Once the warranty is completed, you have to spend money on repairs and services.
Not all the issues faced need professional help. Some of them can be resolved by yourself. Most of them are caused due to incorrect usage of refrigerator or careless usage. Concerns like insufficient frosting or cooling are the most common ones that lead to severe damage if let unattended.
Proper measures should be taken to prevent them in first place. If they happen, resolve it as soon as possible. Some tricks to resolve them can save you money. However, for some you have to get professional help for sure.
We hope the information provided in this article has helped you. If you still have any queries left, write to us in the comment section below. We will reply to them as soon as possible.