Maintaining a well-groomed beard is not an easy task. It requires a lot of patience, care, time, and last, but not the least, a good trimmer.
Trimmers are capable of doing a lot more than only trimming off the extra hair off your beard. If used properly, a beard trimmer can help you in providing a proper shape to your face by creating a jawline. It also helps in improving your overall look.
Before buying a trimmer for your beard, there are multiple factors that you should check for.
Corded or Cordless:
If you want to buy a portable trimmer, you can look for cordless models. They are convenient as well. However, corded trimmers are considered as more reliable as you will not have to worry about the battery running out.
Modern trimmers are available in both cordless and corded variant. These trimmers are a great choice for those who are always on the move.
You should check for trimmers offering a runtime of a minimum of 45 minutes to 1 hour. This will prevent you from the need to charge the battery in between your trimming session.
Buying a trimmer with a quick charge time is equally important as no one likes to wait forever for the trimmer to get charged completely. Most models of trimmers take about 4 to 6 hours. You can select a model as per your requirement.
The length settings range from 1mm (for a clean shave) to 10 mm (longest). You should pick a model that offers multiple length settings as it is helpful in styling your beard without any hassle.
The brand, build quality, and accessories are some additional features that you should check for before buying a beard trimmer. To learn more about these factors, you can go through the “ Buying Guide” at the end of the article.
Along with this, here is a list of some of the best beard trimmers available in the market. You can choose one from this list as per your requirement. Let’s have a look at these trimmers and the features offered by them. section of this article.
The 9 Best Trimmer For Men In India
|Best Trimmers for Men||Type||Charging Time||Run Time||Length Settings||Warranty||Buy Now|
|Philips Beard Trimmer||Corded/Cordless||1 hour||90 minutes||0.5 –10 mm||2 years||Check the Price|
|Mi Beard Trimmer||Cord/Cordless||90 minutes||2 hours||0.0-20mm||1 year||Check the Price|
|Nova Beard Trimmer||Cordless||8 hours||30 minutes||2-18mm||2 years||Check the Price|
|VGR Hair Trimmer for Men||Corded/Cordless||75 minutes||100 minutes||0.5 – 5 mm||1 year||Check the Price|
|Ustraa Beard Trimmer||Corded/Cordless||1 hour||90 minutes||1 - 5 mm||2 years||Check the Price|
|SYSKA Ultra Grooming Trimmer||Corded/Cordless||2 hours||60 minutes||1 – 10 mm||2 years||Check the Price|
|Panasonic Beard Trimmer||Corded/Cordless||12 hours||10 minutes||1 –10 mm||2 years||Check the Price|
|Havells Beard Trimmer||Corded/Cordless||90 minutes||90 minutes||3 – 7 mm||2 years||Check the Price|
|Lifelong Beard Trimmer||Corded/Cordless||2 hours||60 minutes||0.4 - 10 mm||1.5 years||Check the Price|
Top 9 Best Beard Trimmers in India 2021 Review
Want to capture more low lying hair for efficient trimming, this Philips trimmer is the right grooming solution. It is easy to use and built to last 6 times longer any other ordinary trimmers. Its self-sharpening blades will stay sharp forever while rounded tips and combs are gentle on the skin and thus prevents irritation.
- 5 – 10 mm with 0.5mm precision, 20 lock-in length settings
Cordless Run Time:
- Up to 90 minutes of continuous use
- 1 hour
- 2 years
- Choose the desired length (0.5 mm to 10 mm) settings from a zoom slide button. Get a 3 days’ shadow look, tight trimming or grow a full beard without any effort.
- Dura power technology will optimize the consumption to ensure the trimmer to lasts longer.
- Use it either corded or cordless. All you need is to charge 1 hour to have a 90 minutes of cordless run time power.
- With its innovative lift and trim system cutting technology, this trimmer will aid in 30% faster cutting.
- Has self-sharpening titanium coated blade to stay sharp for a longer time and thus provide superior cutting performance.
- Detach the head and rinse using tap for easy cleaning but make sure to dry it before you put back on the appliances.
- Comes with fast charge with battery indicator – full / low / empty / charging, which let you charge & use accordingly.
- Its ergonomic design will make it easy to hold and use it to trim even hard to reach areas.
- Self-sharpening titanium coated blades
- Powerful dura power technology battery with battery indicator
- Travel and storage pouch will let you carry during travelling to any place.
- Use it either corded or cordless with 1-hour charge.
- 20 different length settings by turning the wheel to select and lock in length.
- Easy to us and easy to clean.
- You can’t use it while on charge.
- Due to its broad blades, it is somewhat difficult to trim areas like center of the moustache.
The Mi Trimmer wins the competition hands down. Compare it with any other trimmer on the market. It will never match the quality and performance of the Mi trimmer. The 1st product makes its way on the top with its 5 minutes fastest charging option, 40 length settings and a water-resistant full washable body. If you want the best out of your money just go with it.
- 40 length settings with 0.5-20 trimming length.
Cordless Charging and Usage:
- 5 minutes rapid charge for 10 minutes cordless usage.
- 2 hours of full charge for 90 minutes of cordless usage.
- 1 year of comprehensive warranty
- Both corded and cordless use for users convenience
- Self-sharpening stainless steel blades stay sharp like the day one
- Blades with protective rounded tips. They prevent your skin from skin irritations and accidental cuts.
- It has 2 precise combs (0.5mm-10mm and 10mm-20mm) to achieve any look
- 6000 blades movements per minute provide utmost perfection
- Blades with lubricant coating glides super smooth on your skin
- It has IPX7 full washable body for hassle-free cleaning
- A unique quad-edge design helps to trim those hard to reach spots
- A LED battery indicator indicates charging levels
- Travel lock and travel pouch keeps it locked and safe while you travel with it
- 40 length settings
- 5 minutes instant charge
- 90 minutes of cordless usage after 2 hours of charge
- Full washable body
- Easy-grip and manoeuvrability
- No comb-lock mechanism
It is a simple trimmer loaded with features. It will be a great buy if you want something affordable yet powerful. Its cuts clean, glides smooth and the battery life is too good. One only reason it comes after Philips is its quality. It’s a budget product so you can’t expect the quality to match with Philips. Otherwise, it’s a solid buy; full value for money.
- 9 length settings with 2-18 mm trimming length. If you remove the comb you can get 0.25 mm precision.
Cordless Run Time:
- 30 minutes
- 8 hours
- 2 years worldwide warranty
- Choose your desired length (2 mm to 18 mm) settings from a zoom slide button. Get a 3 days shadow look, tight trimming or grow a full beard without any effort.
- Self-sharpening titanium coated blades stay sharp for long. They never pull or create tangles in the hairs.
- The combs come with a safety lock. So you can get the desired look without any interruptions.
- The lift and trim mechanism goes by lifting the hairs and cuts them 35% faster.
- All its attachments are washable. Simply detach them from the head and rinse under tap water.
- It comes with a USB cable. You can charge it from your computer or use any USB adapter.
- Turbo power technology enhances the batter life. So the device has 5 times better longevity than an ordinary trimmer.
- 9 length settings
- Powerful battery
- Self-sharpening titanium coated blades
- Lift and trim cuts 35% faster
- USB cable
- Combs with safety lock
- Don’t expect the quality to match with Philips or Mi.
- Not corded
Looking for a trimmer that is suitable for body grooming, hair clipping, beard & moustache, then this VGR V-030 professional trimmer is your perfect choice. It is easy to use and simple to maintain, as it non-allergic and won’t irritate your skin while trimming.
- 5 – 5 mm with 5 different length settings
Cordless Run Time:
- 100 minutes
- 75 minutes
- 1 year limited warranty is provided only on product sold by official seller.
- Professional trimmer that suits perfect for body grooming, hair clipping & beard and moustache.
- Its rechargeable lithium-ion battery gets charged quickly in 75 minutes and provides cordless run time of 100 minutes.
- One can use it either corded or cordless and it has a built-in LED display lamp for battery charge indication.
- It is designed to produce low noise while using cordless and also it helps to cut hair of your child with ease.
- Has two power supply modes – USB & Charger cable Adapter to charge and use it anytime.
- It is compact, lightweight and easy to carry around even while travelling.
- Equipped with powerful professional motor that ensure a clean and neat trim/shave.
- Comes with professional hair cuppers round blade for U-Type cutter head, T type cutter head & R type obtuse angle design.
- Its detachable head with washable stainless steel blades will allow you to clean it easily.
- Professional trimmer with 5 guide comb.
- 5 length adjustments
- Powerful long lasting battery with LED light indicator.
- Comes with two power supply modes.
- Adjustable trimming range
- Easy to detach and clean
- Allows you to use it while charging.
- Offers 1 year limited warranty only if purchased from official seller.
- A few reported that quality of the blades are not up to the mark.
Ustraa makes grooming kits only for men. Their products are going viral which are giving tough competition to bigger brands like Philips, Syska, Nova, etc. This is another fast charging trimmer on the list. You can use it for 2 hours with just 60 minutes of charging.
- 4 different settings from 1 mm – 4mm. Remove the comb to get 0 mm shaving look.
Cordless Run Time:
- 90-120 minutes
- 60 minutes
- 2 years. You have to register with Ustraa. (All details are provided with the warranty card)
- It can be used both as cored and cordless
- 3 combs with 1mm, 3mm and 5 mm trimming lengths
- 600 mAh powerful Li-on battery
- Titanium-coated self-sharpening blades
- T- Shaped blades for better surface coverage
- Comb locking mechanism for tangle free trimming
- Sturdy ABS plastic combs that don’t shake and trims precisely
- LED charge display tells you exactly how much charge is left
- Over-charge protection expands the battery life
- Fast charging- 60 minutes
- 2 hours of cordless usage
- Titanium coated self-sharpening blades
- LED charge display with over-charge protection
- Only 4 length settings
- Comparatively expensive
This SYSKA’s ultra-trim pro styling kit will help you to achieve different styles with ease. It is ergonomically designed to handle trimming from various angles with precision. It is easy to use and provide smooth contact with skin without any cuts while trimming hair.
- 10 lock-in length settings, 1 – 10 mm with 0.5mm precision and has 3 changeable attachments.
Cordless Run Time:
- 60 minutes (1 hour)
- 2 hours
- 2 years
- This multipurpose ultra-trim pro styling kit consists of precision trimmer, beard trimmer and nose & ear trimming attachment along with stubble comb.
- Its nose and ear hair trimming attachment is specially designed to remove even hard to reach ear and nose hair safely without pulling.
- One can also use this ear and nose trimmer for removing facial hair, including eyebrows without any cuts.
- It is equipped with high quality self-sharpening stainless steel blades to get more efficient after every usage.
- It is easy to hold and ensures an effortless trimming even in hard to reach areas.
- Comes with a LED light as charging indicators to check on battery levels and keep charging accordingly.
- Provides up to 60 minutes of continuous cordless usage up on single charge (long lasting battery).
- It is completely safe to use even when it is plugged in.
- Versatile Trimming Kit with 3 changeable attachments.
- Self-sharpening stainless steel blades.
- Ergonomically designed body with built-in LED battery indicator.
- Lightweight, compact travel friendly design.
- Completely safe to use even when plugged in.
- Hair cutting/hair trimmer is not smooth.
- Although, it is easy to operate but feels delicate to handle.
Panasonic offers the best products to its customers and a leading brand in electronics & automotive. This ER207WK24B is a corded/cordless rechargeable trimmer with various excellent features that makes it trim or shape beards effortlessly. The user can experience a smooth cut every time their shave.
- 19 length settings with 1 – 10 mm trimming length.
Cordless Run Time:
- 50 minutes
- 12 hours
- 2 years
- With its quick adjust dial, the user can set the desired length, ranging from 1 – 10 mm to select and lock in that particular blade length.
- The high performance stainless steel sharp blade of the trimmer will aid in precise shave and gives a refreshing shaving experience without any skin irritation.
- One can operate the trimmer with either an AC cord (corded) or by charging its built-in rechargeable battery (cordless). An LED bulb will confirm whether the battery is on charge or off charge.
- Blade and guard are easily detached and washed with warm running water for easy maintenance.
- It features sharp blades, LED indicator, and convenient rotating dial will make it an ergonomic device to hold and operate it easily.
- It is portable, lightweight, compact and handy trimmer with sleek design that let you carry along in your travel.
- Quick adjust dial for easy length setting.
- High performance stainless steel blade for precision cutting.
- Washable blades, which makes it easy for maintenance.
- Preforms both corded & cordless operation.
- Convenient and easy to handle with compact and lightweight design.
- The charger is somewhat heavy to carry around.
- It needs 12 hours to fully charge the battery.
Style your beard perfectly with this Havells trimmer in anytime and anywhere. Its high quality blades used at various precision settings will ensure ultimate styling. It is compact, easy to use and last longer with rechargeable battery. It can be used cordless and plugged-in (corded) conditions to have a hassle free trimming. But make sure not use corded trimmer in wet conditions.
- 3-4-5-6-7 mm length settings with comb
- Zero trim of 0.5 mm precision without comb
Cordless Run Time:
- 90 minutes
- 90 minutes
- 2 years
- Its adjustable length setting comb (3 – 7 mm) is used to achieve various types of beard length. Also, add precision of 0.5 mm without comb to sideburns, facial hair & moustache.
- The in-built li-ion battery will ensure quick full charging. Also, aids in run time of 90 minutes which is equal to 20 trims.
- The hypoallergenic stainless steel U-shaped blades will ensure skin – friendly, sharp and efficient trimming, as it adjusts to facial contour for easy glides.
- The LED indicator turns green from red color light when the battery is charged fully.
- Detachable blade along with comb will be washed easily under running water.
- Comes with a travel pouch to keep the trimmer safe while travelling or storing.
- Customize your beard length by adjusting the length settings.
- LED battery charge indicator
- Detachable blades for easy cleaning.
- U-shaped stainless steel hypoallergenic blades for a skin friendly styling session.
- Li-ion rechargeable battery with single full charge equals to 20 trims.
- Comparatively expensive.
Are you searching for a beard trimmer that has the best features and the best price together? Then, Lifelong LLPCM07 can be a potent choice. It has 20 length settings and a self-sharpening blade. Charging it will take only two hours, and once charged, it can function for 60 minutes. You can use it as a cord or cordless trimmer, depending on your need. This trimmer has a stainless-steel blade, adjustable guide comb, and a charge indicator that makes it a perfect fit on our list.
- 0.4mm to 10mm
Cordless Run Time:
- 60 minutes
- 2 hours
- 1 year + 6 months (after registering the product on the brand website)
- The USB charging cable will let you charge the trimmer by connecting it to any gadget with a USB hub
- Fully washable blades
- 20 adjustable comb and length settings
- LED battery indicator
- detachable stainless-steel blades
- Saves Power: Takes less to charge
- Longer cordless use time
- 20 length settings
- Very competitive price
- Can be used as both corded or cordless device
- Durable stainless-steel blade
- Brand value
- AC cord is not included in the package
How To Choose a Beard Trimmer
Most men are clueless and are not really sure what all factors that they should look for while buying their first electric trimmer. To help these users, we have compiled a list of all the features that you should look for or keep in mind while buying a good quality and reliable trimmer for the beard.
1. The Material of the Blade
A trimmer with a cheaper blade is not going to be very sharp. Also, it is often not made using a strong metal. Trimming your beard with such a blade can lead to rashes and burns since the blade directly tugs at the skin rather than chopping off the slices through the bottom of the beard.
Here is a list of materials that are used to make trimmer blades:
Carbon Steel Blade:
Carbon steel blades provide proper precision and thus, they are appropriate for a dense beard. The only downside of these blades is they tend to rust quickly. Hence, they are not the most durable options available out there. However, if there is a titanium coating over the carbon steel blade, you will not face rusting issues.
Stainless steel is one of the most popular choices for making blades. The material is sharp, durable, and does not form rust at all. A trimmer with a stainless-steel blade offers the best performance to its users.
Titanium blades are not only stronger but they also offer better resistance to corrosion and rusting. These blades are durable options too. One of the downsides of these blades is their cost is a bit on the higher side.
Ceramic blades are also very sharp. One must only buy a trimmer with a ceramic blade if you can use and handle it with utmost care and precaution. If you are mishandling the trimmer, the chances of breaking off the ceramic blade are very high.
2. Corded or Cordless Beard Trimmer:
Cordless trimmers are undoubtedly more flexible and convenient than corded trimmers.
Most of the beard trimmers that are battery-operated are mobile. There is no involvement of any cord as a distraction while you are trimming your beard. As cordless beard trimmers are mostly waterproof, this makes both the trimming process and cleaning process easier. To clean these trimmers, you can simply put them under running water.
Even though battery-powered models of trimmers look like the best option, especially while you are traveling, there are some disadvantages of these models too. They are as follows:
Cordless beard trimmers are not very powerful when compared to the corded models. If the power of the trimmer is more, it will cut your beard at a higher speed without pulling the facial hair.
Since cordless trimmers run on battery, the chances of running out of battery are high. In corded trimmers, you will not have to worry about batteries or charging as they don’t have batteries at all.
If you have a power outlet in your bathroom at a convenient place where you can trim your beard then we would suggest you to buy a corded trimmer, provided that you won’t mind moving the cord around while your trimming and grooming session.
However, if you want to buy a trimmer that is portable and convenient at the same time, buying a wireless model can be a good option for you. But one thing you must keep in mind that you will not get the same horsepower and other benefits as offered by the corded models.
Some advanced models of trimmers offer both wired and the wireless option to the users. You can use these trimmers while keeping them for charging in their charging station. It is an ideal choice for those who are always on the move and travel most of the time.
Difference between Cord and Cordless Trimmers
|Cord Trimmer||Cordless Trimmer|
|Operates at fixed location.||Take it to different places.|
|Not a waterproof design.||100% waterproof nature.|
|Can be used continuously.||Have short run time.|
|Requires a power adapter to charge.||Uses separate charging station.|
|Bit difficult to clean and maintain.||Easy to use, clean and maintain.|
|Batteries are not necessary.||Have to replace the batteries.|
3. Charging Time
You should always choose a trimmer that offers quick charging time as you can’t wait for the trimmer to get fully charged for a long time. It might cause inconvenience to you and your schedule.
If the trimmer that you have bought takes a long time for charging, you will have to plan your trimming session in advance so that the trimmer is fully charged and ready to use by the time you want to start trimming.
Most of the trimmers available in the market take about 4 to 6 hours to get charged fully. It can run for 60 minutes to 90 minutes with this much charging. Some trimmers from good brands offer a quick charging option and get charged quickly. With the help of a quick charge feature, you can charge your trimmer for 5 minutes or less and have a quick trim.
The runtime offered by a trimmer depends on the model that you are buying. The best battery-operated trimmer can give you a runtime of 1 to 1.5 hours. Some models offer a bit more time too. If a model of the beard trimmer is able to give you a runtime of 2 hours, you can right away select that model.
If you travel frequently, you might prefer buying a trimmer whose batteries last for as long as possible. When compared to older rechargeable batteries, lithium-ion batteries charge quite quickly and hold the charging for a relatively long time.
5. Length Settings
How do you prefer your beard to be – long and fuller or shorter stubble? Or maybe anything in between longer and shorter beard?
Whatever style you opt for, you must make sure that the trimmer that you have selected offer the length options that meet your requirements.
The best beard trimmer is the one that is versatile in terms of lengths so that you don’t have to stick to a particular style and you can change your beard styling whenever and however you like.
The length offered by most of the trimmers ranges between 1mm (clean shave) to 10 mm (longest for longer mane). You should select a beard trimmer that provides you a lot of length settings. It will help you with a hassle-free beard styling session.
It is very essential for the motor to offer good power to the trimmer blade. Along with this, it should also ensure that there is no drop in the performance of the trimmer.
You will mostly not face any problem while buying a top range beard trimmer. The motor used by these brands is reliable as well as powerful.
7. Width of the Trimming Blade
Checking the width of the trimming blade also plays a major role as wider blades let you cover more area and finish the job quickly and more efficiently. However, smaller blades are required while lining up the edges and they are useful while trimming the mustache or area around your lips. They offer precision and let you focus on the finer details that you might not be able to achieve using trimmers with wider blades.
8. Build Quality
Buying a costly trimmer with all the fancy features but a poor build quality is more or less like a money wastage thing. Trimmers with such poor build quality start to act dysfunctional after only a few uses.
One of the key factors that you should check out for is whether the trimmer is equipped with self-sharpening stainless-steel blades or not. You must also check if the grip offered by the trimmer is good or not otherwise chances of accidental slips will be too high.
You should try to avoid buying a trimmer with a body made entirely using plastic. Check what material is used to make the trimmer housing – cheap plastic or valox (a toughened hard-wearing plastic resin)?
9. Charging Level Indicator
Most of the beard trimmers feature either one or two LED lights. These lights give you an indication of whether the trimmer is getting charged or not and a light blink as soon as it is charged fully. There is no light indicator to show that the battery is completely dead though.
A battery charge level indicator can make a huge difference in situations where you are running late and you can decide accordingly whether you should carry the charger along with the trimmer or not. With the help of a battery level indicator, you can easily understand if the battery is going to last by the time you return back to your home or not.
10. Dry or Wet Trimming
When do you like to trim your beard – before a shower of after a shower? Depending on your preference, you can think and decide whether you want to buy a trimmer for wet styling or dry styling. However, there are some models that can accommodate both dry and wet trims. It can be helpful to all the users.
Apart from these basic features, there are some additional features that you might want to check for buying a new beard trimmer. If you are buying the trimmer just for your beard, then this might not be a concerning factor to you.
There are many types of beard trimmers available in the market and each one of them offers different qualities. These features can have a huge impact on the performance capabilities.
Before making the final decision, some additional features that you can look for are: a vacuum system, nose trimmer, pop-up ear trimmer, turbo-trimming mode, and many more.
12. Interchangeable or Single, Adjustable Guard/Guide
A beard trimmer that features an adjustable guard allows you to use a flexible trimmer. You will not have to change the guard every time you want to trim your beard at a different length.
Interchangeable guards are useful for those who want to buy a beard trimmer that can be used at other places too. It even lets you change the beard guide and you can transform the beard trimmer into a nose or ear trimmer.
13. Accessories / Features
Additional features or extra accessories that come along with a beard trimmer will help you separate cheaper models of trimmers from the expensive ones. Some of the additional features that you can check for are as follows:
- To help you with real precision cutting, you can get laser-guided trimmers too.
- Some trimmers have vacuums. SO you no need to worry about your facial hair in and around the sink.
- Some beard trimmers come with a good stand that can even act as a charger.
- A few brands provide a pouch or a carry case to make it easier to carry the trimmer while traveling.
- Beard trimmers come with various attachments using which you can convert the same trimmer into an ear trimmer, nose trimmer, or eyebrow trimmer.
As all these accessories are equally important and useful, we suggest you to study about the product thoroughly and see what all accessories are you getting and then buy accordingly.
14. Blade Maintenance
While some beard trimmers require very little maintenance, others require no maintenance at all. It is completely dependent on the model that you are selecting.
Maintenance of a beard trimmer is not a tedious task at all. All you have to do is get rid of the facial hair and other debris after you have finished trimming your beard. This is similar to almost all the models of beard trimmers.
Some models of beard trimmers are completely waterproof. You can simply rinse the hair off under running water.
However, some models of beard trimmers might require extra attention and care. For such trimmers, you will have to apply a small amount of oil on the blade after using it for 2-3 times. It is helpful in maintaining the health and the sharpness of the blade. Thus, blade maintenance is another important factor that you should not forget to check.
There are multiple good brands that manufacture high-quality beard trimmers. Unlike girls, most men don’t have a personal preference for brands that they prefer to stick with. They focus more on the features offered by the product and whether it finishes the job as promised or not. Some of the bigger players in the market of beard trimmers are Panasonic, Philips, Braun, and Wahl.
16. Online reviews
Most of the time it happens that you are not able to take a final call between 2 or 3 models. In such situations, we suggest you to go through the reviews of the trimmer posted online by the users. You will definitely get to learn more about the product via those reviews. And if there are any cons, you will get to know immediately.
Price is another important factor that you need to consider while buying a beard trimmer. The trimmers from good brands are not going to be cheap. However, they last for a long time. Some trimmers even last for several years.
A good trimmer from a good brand might be a bit costly but it will last for a longer period than any cheaper model. Hence, we suggest you to focus on the quality of the product than the price.
Most of the trimmers available in the market are available with a warranty of 2 years. This is the industry standard. However, some brands even offer a warranty of up to 3 years. When it comes to electronic appliances, it is better to buy a product that offers a longer warranty period.
Quick Tips for Trimming Your Beard
Some tips that can make trimming an easier task for you are as follows:
1. It is easy to trim on soft hair
While taking a shower, apply some conditioner to your beard (you can even apply a shampoo followed by a conditioner). It will make your hair soft. Also, clean hair is free of dirt, sweat, or other debris. It will make the surface smoother and easier to cut.
2. Shave/Trim in the right direction
While trimming, pull the trimmer carefully in an upwards direction, starting from the base of the neck towards the top of your beard. Don’t rush at all. Go slowly so that the hair gets trimmed in a single pass rather than making several passes. If the trimmer is pulling your hair and tugging them out rather than cutting, you should consider buying a new and powerful trimmer for your beard.
3. Your trimmer blades might require oiling
You can first check the instructions that come along with the trimmer and see if the blades need oiling or not. Some brands like the Wahl recommends its users to oil the blades of the trimmer at least once in a month. To do so, you can put 2-3 drops of oil on the trimmer blade while the trimmer is on. If you are noticing that your new trimmer is pulling your beard hair rather than cutting them cleanly, it means that the blades need oiling frequently.
Why Use a Beard Trimmer?
Taking a salon appointment every other day to fix your beard can be both time-consuming and draining on the pocket. Unkempt beard is somewhat of a turnoff, and it speaks of a lack of personal hygiene.
Apart from saving money and maintaining your beard, it does a couple of other things, so here is why you should invest in a trimmer and use it:
1. Prevents Flaky Skin
All of us tend to have dry skin during the winters, and some men have natural skin that tends to flake. There is little you can do to take care of your skin if you have a thick growth of beard on it. What’s worse is, dead skin cells that flake and tend to stick to the beard and makes it look super tacky.
A trimmer will solve the problem. You can easily trim your beard and apply moisturizers to take care of your skin.
2. Stops Skin Irritation and Beard Rash
The expression ‘beard rash’ is familiar to most guys having a beard. The longer the beard, the more the skin becomes prone to irritation.
Investing in a good quality trimmer is one way to say goodbye to skin irritation. Its superior quality blade will make your beard prim and proper and keep skin irritation at bay.
3. Checks Bacteria Formation
Beards are often the hotbed for bacteria formation. These bacteria can cause a number of skin conditions. Taking risks with skin is never a good idea, especially when it concerns the face. So, it is best to use a trimmer and keep yourself groomed.
4. Removes Split Ends
If you have tried growing your beard, you would know that split-ends and simultaneous wiry growth can be one of the outcomes. If you are trying it again, make sure to trim your beard now and then to get rid of the split ends. Trimming will give you fuller, smoother and well-kempt beard.
5. Style as You Please
Sometimes it becomes impossible to make the stylist understand what you actually want. If you are armed with a trimmer, you will have the liberty to style your beard as you like. Want to keep long sideburns? Want to trim it short? In a mood for a goatee? Not a problem if you have a trimmer in your hand!
How to use a Beard Trimmer?
For either of them, you first need to prepare your trimmer to get ready to be used
- Take out the trimmer and all other accessories in an organized manner.
- Charge the device for few hours. Meanwhile read the instructions and warning labels given in the user-friendly manual.
- When you are using the trimmer for the first time, put some oil on the trimming blades.
- Wash and Dry your beard (if you are going for a dry trim)
- Select the level setting of the stubble you wish on your trimmer.
If this is the first time you are trying out a trimmer, it is suggested that you go for the largest and biggest hair length setting available on the trimmer.
A trimmer can be used in either a wet mode or a dry mode. The following mentioned methods can be used for any of the modes.
1. How to Trim Neck hair
Always remember that a good trim always comes when you begin from the neck part. This gives you an orderly and well cut stubble/beard or a clean shaven face. Makes it easy for you to progress further.
- First set up the required length setting on the trimmer you wish the neck hair has to be.
- Now place the trimmer head on the neck, look in the mirror and Cut a neat neckline util which you want to trim/shave.
- Next, start to remove all the hair onto the line you desire.
- Trim certain part of the neck and then have a closer look. If the trim or shave is perfect, go for the full line and finish up the neck line.
2. How to Trim Cheek Line
Now that you are done creating a decent neck line on the face, you should now focus on creating a decent cheek line so that you can start with removing the bigger batch of hair.
Here, the most important part is precision and patience. A cheek line is the most important part of a beard as it gives out the definitive style statement of a beard.
Carefully set the beard length setting to 0 (clean shave mode) and then cut a line neatly and vertically.
3. How to Trim Cheek
- After you’re done establishing a cheek line, now set the length number of the trimmer to your desired setting. Now get ready to trim out the bigger part of the beard.
- The hair on the cheek do not grow back instantly, hence apply caution while trimming this part of the beard.
- After you have set the trimmer to your desired level of stubble length,place the bladed head part between the line of ear and cheek .
- Now start pulling it towards the chin from the ear line.
- Make sure that you are not going out of the designated cheek line. Watch out for it on the mirror.
4. How to Trim Chin Hair
Now that you are done with your cheek, point the trimmer towards the chin part.
- Set the length 2mm higher than what you used for the cheek, (2mm or lower if you wish for an even trim)
- Now place the blade under the chin and pull downwards from the under lip towards the neck. Perpendicular to the direction in which you shaved the cheek.
- Depending on an individual’s preference, the length of the chin beard should be set. A few like to keep the chin beard intact while a few like a closer trim.
- After getting done with the chin, take the comb and clear out any dangling follicles that might still be present in the chin.
5. How to trim Moustache
Ok, you need to be extra careful with this one. If done wrong, you might end up with a no moustache baby face for a couple of weeks (or however long it takes for your moustache to grow back)
- Make sure that you have set the length level of the trimmer to the highest just in case.
- Use a comb top if present. Do not go for a direct blade.
- Comb your moustache in the direction of the hair growth.
- Now place the bladed head on the moustache and gently start brushing downwards from nose to upper lip.
After shaving, clean your face with cold water (no hot water), dab it with a cotton towel and then apply a little after shave all over it.
6. How to trim Goatee
Goatee is a trend that has taken over the fashion scenario of 2019. To get a fashionable goatee, you would require a trimmer that has several guards and shaving heads for precision and accuracy. So, if you are a fashionista and plan on getting a goatee, here is what you should do.
First thing first, let your beard grow to a certain length. Now that you have a full grown beard, stand in front of the mirror, and using a beard comb, straighten all the hair out. This will enable you to trim the goatee without much hindrances.
Use your trimmer and draw the basic outline of the style you want. A good point to start is the neck region. Then you can continue to trim upwards towards the jawline and the cheeks till you have formed the basic outline. Now with small strokes trim the edges as you proceed towards the style you want to achieve.
We would advise you to keep the goatee a litter bigger as you go about trimming. You can always go back and give it your desired shape later on, but once you have trimmed the area, there is no going back.
An important thing to do while trimming a goatee is to stop to check if both the sides are equal and nothing is out of shape. Certainly, you don’t want to end up with a mess on your face, which will take you weeks to correct!
How to clean a beard trimmer
If you wish to clean the trimmer of any type – plug-in, cord or cordless, do follow the simply steps given below to perform thorough cleaning and enhances the trimming lifespan.
- Firstly, switch off the power supply and separate trimmer and power adapter.
- Take out the trimmer cap, you will notice hair strings on the blades.
- Keep it under running water which applies some force to remove the hair on blades.
- Shake the trimmer for 3-4 times to wipe the water drops from the trimmer and blades.
- Now place it on the towel and allow it to dry for some time.
- Apply few drops of oil on the trimming blade edges to keep it clean and in good working condition.
Frequently Asked Questions?
Not every beard trimmer is cleanable by water. Before you decide to use water to clean your trimmer, be sure to check out whether the product has any restrictions for water. Wet and Dry technology enabled trimmers work just fine when cleaned with water.
Before you clean any kind of trimmer, be sure to turn off the trimmer, unplug it from the power source(if connected) and then dismantle the removable parts. (Such as the head and battery etc).
Now only try and clean the blade head part of the trimmer with a jet of water. To clean the insides of a trimmer, use a wet cloth to remove the hair follicles from it. Never jet the inside of a trimmer of any kind.
Most trimmers come with a cleaning brush which can be used to brush off any hair follicles to keep the device clean after every shave.
Yes, you can clean the blades of your beard clipper using alcohol. For this, take a small cup and pour about 1/4 th of it with alcohol. Take a dry cloth and dip it into this alcohol.
Gently dab the alcohol to the blades and then rub neatly to remove any dirt or residual hair from the insides of the trimmer.
Beard trimmers need constant lubrication using oil to work in pristine condition. For this, you can even use the oil to clean up the insides of the trimmer which you cannot using water or alcohol.
For lubrication, drip a few drops of machine, coconut or any type of oil on the blades. Take a dry and non wet cloth and rub it neatly. Do the same to the internals of the trimmer as well.
For clean shaving purposes, it is better to use a foil based trimmer. For direct dry shaving, clear our any long hairs and then go for the stubble. Keep clear of moustache initially. Clear the moustache in the last stages for best result.
For wet shave, you need a lubricant to wet your face first. You can use a shaving cream/gel or any shaving foam to lubricate your face.
Place the setting of the trimmer to 0 and place the trimmer under either left or right side ear. Now pull about in vertical lines carefully till you have cleanly shaved your face.
Hair clippers and Beard Trimmers are almost the same. Their operation principle is same but their usage varies. The major and significant difference between a clipper and a trimmer is the blade length and size of the device. Hair clippers are mainly used to cut and set the head hair. Beard trimmers, whereas, are mostly designed just to work on the bear hairs. Their motor intensity is lower than the clippers and they do not work well with thick and long hair.
Widely speaking, yes. But for body hair, there are separately designed trimmers which have the appropriate blade speed which can safely remove the hair. The difference between a beard trimmer and a body hair remover is the guard and the razor length. For pubic hair, it is best that you always use a plastic guard for safety.
A good company trimmer with high quality stainless steel blade should be safe for you. If you use a razor every day, there may be a chance to get a minor skin rash hence use it optimally and periodically.
Ideally, you should start from the neckline while trimming your beard and slowly ascend upwards as you trim. This will give you better control and neater beard.
However, if you are inquiring about the direction of the blade, then it depends on the length of your beard. If your beard is on the longer side, trimming in the same direction of the hair growth will fetch better results. If you have a shorter beard, you can trim in any direction you like. However, make sure to comb your beard thoroughly before trimming.
It is a matter of pure preference. The lifespan of a titanium blade tends to be longer than that of stainless steel. But it also costs more. Stainless steel, on the other hand, is sharper than titanium blades but might not be as durable. You must keep in mind that a trimmer is much more than just a blade. If a trimmer has poor build quality, even the best quality blade will be of no use.
It depends on the build quality and the way you use it. With proper maintenance, a good quality trimmer should last at least a couple of years. Often times, in spite of buying from a reputed brand, things might go wrong. So, it is important to buy a trimmer which comes with a warranty. The longer the warranty, the better.
If you have a clean-shaven face and are planning to experiment with a bearded look, it is important that you let your beard grow for a few weeks. Ideally, you should wait for three to four weeks, depending on the growth of your beard. Then you should start using a trimmer on a frequent basis to keep it looking neat and shapely.
The mechanism and built of trimmers are such that it will not cut your skin, unless you press the blades into your cheeks. The chances of you cutting your skin with a trimmer is exponentially lower than that you have with the regular razor.
Use your preferred length setting to trim the chin-beard. With the help of a precision trimmer, create an outline. Now clip off the rest of the hair to obtain a chiselled and well-defined jawline. A chin-beard is all about looking neat, make sure to clean off all the remaining hair from the sides while trimming a chin beard to achieve the intended look.
Trimmers are really useful grooming device right now! It is easy to use, portable and comes with several features that can help you trim or style your beard, moustache and hair. But choosing a suitable one that can suffice your requirements like long battery usage time, cordless feature, effective precision length or length settings, and portability are really important.
Nonetheless, if you want an all rounder at a very affordable price with almost all the required features, our recommendation would be Mi Beard Trimmer. The features, ergonomics and price are unmatchable! A pure value for money at this point of time! But if you want a more durable and trustworthy grooming kit, it is better you go for the Philips Beard Trimmer. Being a well known brand, this one is a better option if you are a bit picky about brand value. Also this particular one comes with 3 years of warranty!
Share your thoughts in the comment section below!