Do you wish you could find a way to make quick, nutritious, and delicious meals that will keep your family wanting more? There is just one item you need in your home that will make this possible – a pressure cooker!
A pressure cooker is an amazing addition to your kitchen, that allows you to make healthy meals for your family while cutting short your cooking time. This means that you can spend less time in the kitchen, and more time with your loved ones.
The way a pressure cooker works is simple – it is basically an airtight vessel that traps steam and creates a high pressure inside, cooking food quickly and with less consumption of fuel.
A pressure cooker is very versatile and can cook a number of dishes ranging from rice to vegetables easily and at a lower cost than other cooking methods. They are able to maintain a high cooking temperature inside the chamber, thus cutting down the time required to cook food by 70%!
You must be wondering how a pressure cooker can cook healthier meals for your family. Well, because a pressure cooker requires less water to cook your food, it helps retain all the important vitamins and minerals. Also, since the food is cooked in a sealed chamber, there is no loss of flavour and moisture due to evaporation. This ensures that your family enjoys tasty meals every single day!
Pressure cookers are a common sight in every Indian kitchen as they are very easy to use, and are compatible with both gas stove and induction cooktops. They are also equipped with safety features to prevent accidents in the kitchen.
Depending on the material they are made from, pressure cookers are of three different types. Aluminium pressure cookers are the most affordable and popular type of pressure cookers in Indian homes. They range between ₹600 to ₹1500. Stainless steel cookers are more resistant to corrosion and are very durable. Their price is more, starting from ₹2000 onwards. Hard anodised aluminium cookers significantly decrease your cooking time, and their price is between ₹1200 to ₹2500. The price of the cooker also depends on its capacity.
Now before you hurry off to buy a pressure cooker, there are some things you need to remember. The pressure cooker should be of good quality that will give you peace of mind and last you at least 6-7 years without any trouble or repairs. Look for an ISI mark, and avoid older designs as they may not have the standard safety features.
Choose the size of the pressure cooker according to your family’s needs. A 5 litre cooker would serve a family of four well. Make sure that the base of the pressure cooker is designed to distribute the heat evenly. The pressure cooker must also have a sturdy, non-slippery long handle on one side with a shorter one on the other side for extra grip.
Best Pressure Cookers in India : 2019 Reviews
|Best Pressure Cookers||Capacity||Suitable for||ISO||Warranty||Buy Now|
|Prestige Deluxe Pressure Cooker||5.5 Liters||5-8 members||Yes||5 years||Check the Price|
|Hawkins Pressure Cooker||5 Liters||4-7 members||Yes||5 years||Check the Price|
|Elgi Ultra Diet Cooker||8 Liters||7-10 members||Yes||10 years||Check the Price|
|Butterfly Pressure Cooker||5 Liters||4-7 members||Yes||5 years||Check the Price|
|Pristine Induction cooker||2 Liters||2-3 members||No||2 years||Check the Price|
Top 5 Best Pressure Cookers in India 2019
Here, we go with the list:
Prestige has been synonymous to cookers for Indians since its debut in 1955 and there is no looking back since then. Available in 5.5 litre and 3 litre variants, the body of this cooker is made out of premium quality stainless steel.
The prestige deluxe has a 3 level safety system which consists of a
Weighted Valve:– Which does not go off for minor pressures of the cooker), Controlled Gasket Release:- For slow release so that the cooker does not burst open.
Metallic Safety Plug:- This makes sure that the steam pressure that brews within the cooker stays in the cooker and does not come out of it.
As the alpha base is made from aluminum steel, it increases the conductivity of heat, and is better than pure stainless steel that has a lesser heat conduction property.
Insulated handles on the sides makes it comfortable to hold. It is also provided with the easy locking mechanism to open the lid easily.
As the capacity of this cooker is 5.5 liters, you can easily cook and serve food for 5-8 people. The lower 3 litre version is ideal for families of about 3-4 size.
Cleaning it is also easy as it is also dishwasher safe and it does not develop any stains. So you don’t need to put in any extra effort for maintaining it.
The astounding part is not just that this cooker has a fantastic performance but it offers you a 10 years manufacturer’s warranty.
- High Durability and Toughness
- 3 Level safety system
- Pure stainless steel with aluminium steel base
- Easy Locking Mechanism
- Suitable on both Induction and LPG Gas Stove
- Resistant to corrosion
- ISI mark for quality and safety
- 10 years warranty
- Slightly heavy to hold it
Hawkins has been serving premium quality cookers to the Indian middle class since 1959. The Hawkins Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker which comes in (2,3,4,5,6,8 &10) Litres capacity.
This cooker has been tested and certified by the Underwriters Laboratories Inc, the US for its durability and safety. (Certificate No. SA5984).
The Hawkins Pressure-Locked Safety has a unique safety feature to lock in the lid. Unlike normal pressure cookers which burst open when there is too much pressure inside, the Hawkins stays locked. This guarantees greater safety while using it.
This steel pressure cooker not just works on a conventional gas stove, but is designed to work on induction, electric, ceramic and even halogen cooktops. With an extra thick base of 5.8 mm, the cooker is made out of 100% Food-Grade stainless steel.
The base can stay flat, even and not give hot spots in isolated regions like most cookers. Hence you can expect evenly heated and cooked dishes faster than ever. No bulging, No separating. Its curved bottom makes it ideal for not just pressure cooking but also for stirring and frying too.
Typical pressure cookers have a rubber gasket which needs to be replaced every once in a while. The Hawkins comes with a longer lasting gasket which is present inside the cooker. The longevity is due to the fact that it does not frequently get rubbed when opening and closing the cooker. It also has no room to react to any acidic fruits/vegetables cooked in the vessel.
You have an automatic safety valve present in the cooker which deflects the steam gushing out of the cooker downwards. Safe and sound cooking. The handles are ergonomic and are cool even when the cooker is heated in high temperatures.
Apart from the 5-year manufacturer’s warranty, the cooker even comes with a cookbook. A detailed book of instructions to help you get the most out of your pressure cooker. This also includes a bunch of tested recipes for you to experiment with.
- Inwards locking feature for better safety
- Long life Rubber Gaskets
- Automatic safety Valves
- Visually Appealing design
- Flat base so no hot spots for uneven cooking
- Free Recipe Book
- 5 Years manufacturer’s warranty.
- made the opening area under the Gasket a little less sharp to prevent accidental cuts.
Elgi Ultra is a stainless steel cooker that may look like your any other ordinary cooker but it differentiates itself from others with its induction base.
This base aids in heating up the cooker faster by absorbing more heat from the stove and thus helps in reducing the fuel consumption.
Also,the AISI 304 Stainless Steel material has heat resistant bakelite handles. They, inturn, have twin screws this offers a longer life.
Also, the base of the cooker, as mentioned is induction in nature and is made out of high impact bonded base. This makes sure that the cooker does not charr/ burning and does not stick food to the bottom and also makes your job of cleaning it that easy.
Apart from the anti-charing uniform cooking property, the bonded base also aids in super fast in operation. The container makes sure that the food cooked inside stays warm for a very long time as much as 2 hours.
The starch stainer that comes with the cooker aids in the removal of starch from the rice, quinoa or millets or anything that you cook by boiling. Removal of starch from your rice would help in reducing as much as 30 calories in every meal.
Satin finish overall, this non-stick and high performance pressure cooker comes with a 10 year manufacturer’s warranty for any manufacturing defects during the tenure of the warranty. Note that this warranty does not cover the starch stainer.
- Comes in 5.5 and 3 litre variants
- Made out of high quality AISI 304 Stainless Steel material
- Heat resistant bakelite handles with twin screws for longer life
- Anti charing bonded base
- Keeps food warm for over 2 hours
- Starch strainer to strain starch
- 10 years manufacturer’s warranty
- Precautions should be taken while cleaning it as it may lead to scratches.
Similar to Prestige, Butterfly is also an established brand when it comes to home appliances and the Butterfly Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker is its flagship product.
Going through many iterations and improvements through time, Butterfly pressure cookers are famous for their elegant design and performance.
With a capacity of 5 liters, you will be able to cook food for about 4-7 people thus making it ideal for large families as well. Butterfly also has a 3 litre variant for the same model of cooker.
Compatible to work both on induction cooktops and regular stoves too, the build of the cooker is unparalleled. The base is like a very thick capsule which helps withstand high heat which avoids burning of food.
This pressure cooker is fast in operation thanks to its very thick and bold base. This base is non stick from the inside and thus does not encourage any burning as such.
It is also equipped with a special uni-lock mechanism. Lock once fear not of the cooker opening by mistake or due to the excessive pressure.
The gasket vent comes with a safety valve for removing excessive pressure if the main pressure valve fails to work at time due to blockage thus assuring you of greater safety.
Easy to clean, the cooker is peel proof and is induction cooktop compatible. You are given a 5 years manufacturer’s warranty for the cooker
- Gasket release system which serves as an additional safety feature
- High durability to last longer
- Easy to handle and clean
- Aesthetic Design for good heat conduction
- 5 year warranty period
- ISO certified to assure quality and safety
- Sometimes the whistle may fail to give the buzzing sound to indicate the pressure safety level.
Finally, we have the Pristine cookware induction stainless steel cooker. This is one of the most affordable and portable pressure cooker in the entire list.
Though not known to many, Pristine’s products compensate their popularity with their performance. This pressure cooker comes with an apple cut design which distributes the heat from the sides. Thus it aids in keeping your food hot for long time after cooking.
Made out of highly durable stainless steel, it is also provided with a sandwich based Induction bottom. All of the materials used in it aid in the better conduction of heat and will help in cooking the food faster. This is suitable both to use on an Induction cooktop and even on normal Gas stoves as well.
There is no side handle, so you’ll be handling the cooker just by its closure handles.Be careful while holding and handling it at all times As its capacity is only 2 liters, you can cook food for 2-3 people on an average.
As the cooker is small and can be cleaned very easily. Though there is no ISI mark on the product, Pristine gives you a decent 2 years manufacturer’s warranty which makes this small cooker a buy for individuals looking for an immediate solution.
- Small and compact
- Design for uniform heat distribution
- Easy to clean
- Neat locking
- 2 years warranty period for quality assurance
- Is not ISI certified
- Does not have side handles
How to Choose Pressure Cookers?
Here, we have defined some very important points to be kept in mind while choosing a perfect Pressure cooker.
1. Types of Pressure cookers
Well, there are three types
- Stainless Steel cookers
- Hand Anodized Pressure Cookers
- Aluminum pressure cookers
Let’s move on to stating the major differences among these three.
a) Stainless Steel Pressure Cookers:
- This is the best and beats out the competition in comparison with the other two.
- First due to its durability and the body also remains long lasting.
- Stainless steel cookers are a little costly in comparison with Aluminum and less costly when compared to Hand Anodized cookers.
- It doesn’t have high conduction to heat like Aluminum.
- For this reason, there is a little modification to this i.e. now they are being replaced by Aluminum clad basses.
- This again leads to the classification of Stainless Steel cookers into two types – Stainless Steel cookers and Stainless Steel cookers with Aluminum Clad Basses. The only difference is the second is a very good conductor to heat.
b)Hand Anodized Pressure cookers:
- These are light weight when compared to Stainless Steel cookers.
- Their durability is also higher which makes them last for long time.
- Design also doesn’t wear our and these are corrosion resistant.
Warning: It is a good idea not to use scrubs made of metal while cleaning them as this may lead to scratches in the long run. As mentioned, they are a little costlier when compared to Stainless Steel cookers.
c)Aluminum Pressure cookers:
- This is first introduced into the market after which the other two cookers came into the existence.
- The reason why most people are replacing this from their kitchen is due to its less durability and also they tend to react with acidic substances.
- Aluminum cookers are affordable as the price is very less.
- These are less durable and are very good conductors of heat. These cookers are very light in weight.
- As these are easily susceptible to stains, the design may not last longer as expected.
2. Pressure Cooker Size
The size of the pressure cooker you are buying entirely depends on how many members are there in your home. It also depends on the number of portions you are cooking in it every day.
Usually, the sizes of pressure cookers range from 0.5 liter to 9 liters. The following chart will give you an idea of how to pick the size of the pressure cooker depending on how many people you have at home.
Size of the Family
Capacity in Litres
|1 or 2 People||1.5 Litres|
|2 or 3 People||2 Litres|
|3 or 4 People||3 Litres|
|4 or 5 People||3.5 Litres|
|6 or 7 People||4 Litres|
|7 or 8 People||5 Litres|
|8 or 9 People||6.5 Litres|
|9 or 10 People||7 Litres|
- Please remember not to fill out ingredients beyond the recommended level.
- Cookers with larger size requires little effort to clean.
The design or the shape of the cooker, though it looks same for every product, changes from brand to brand. While the core design is same, the lid or the bottom may change from company to company.
The shape of the cooker dictates the heat distribution and the pressure concentration. For instance, the pressure handi has an inside lock type of the lid and this aids in not just locking the pressure perfectly, but the base of the cooker is enough wide in its width that it distributes the heat very uniformly and perfectly.
4. Cook top compatibility
Another important factor to be considered is whether the cooker is compatible with a normal stove or a kitchen hob as well.
Choose your cooker which depending on the type of gas stove used by you. If you are very particular to cook on the induction stove, then go through the product description before purchasing one.
Not all the pressure cookers are suitable to be used on the induction stoves. Practice caution if you are out to buy a Non-stick Pressure Cookers as these will not last longer
5. Easy to Clean
The cooker you are purchasing should also be comfortable for you to clean. It depends on the size and heaviness if you are hand cleaning it. If you are using dishwasher then both Aluminum and Stainless steel are compatible.
Again, practice caution while buying an aluminium cooker. Scrubbing and washing it may lead to it exposing to the acidic food particles while cooking.
Cookers are notoriously known for the cases of bursting. While modern cookers are built with utmost safety, practicing caution does never go in vain.
Look for an ISI mark on the pressure cooker you are choosing. ISI follow certain guidelines and standards before certifying a product. This builds up a trust factor on both safety and quality of the product. Some pressure cookers do not contain this mark so be careful.
7. Warranty and Price
The top brands always offer a good warranty. Please also look for a certain warranty period for the product and reviews of each product before the purchase.
It is always a good idea to analyze the features you are getting with your estimated budget.
8. Other Important Features
- The Lid: They are again available in two varieties depending on the cooker you choose. The Lids and their latching mechanism vary from the cooker type. Cookers with inner lid which is suitable to cook directly in the vessel and also as a Separator. Cookers with outer Lid are only suitable to cook directly in the vessel. These lids usually have a steam vent for releasing the pressure.
- Pan: Now-a-days pans are being made from materials like ceramic, etc which are easy to clean.
- Handles: Handles that are made of plastic get heated up quickly which will not allow you to hold it comfortably. So, check before purchasing.
- Base: Three types of bases available are anti-bulge base, induction base and alpha base.
- Pressure valves: There are three types of pressure valves. They are the weighted valve, modified Weighted Valve and spring valve
- Weighted valve: This “Jiggle-top” valve which is placed on top of the lid. This gives a buzzing sound to indicate the release of the pressure.
- Modified weighted valve unlike weighted valve releases steam before cooking starts.
- In modern day pressure cookers you usually find spring valves which pop up when the pressure is released completely. Spring valves allows to make adjustments to maintain the pressure level.
Common Problems In Pressure Cookers and How To Solve Them?
1. Common Problems with Gaskets:
These are the rubber rings which you use to cover the baseline of the pressure cooker lid. It is very essential to clean the Gasket top after every usage.
- Not enough Pressure Build Up:
Broken Gaskets are the major reasons for the pressure not being built up in a pressure cooker. This is because as soon as the pressure begins to build up, the gaps in the broken gasket will cause it to escape and thus there is only heat, no pressure.
If you come across any such thing in yours, then change it as soon as possible. It is advised to change these arts at least once in a year.
- Steam Leakage:
This again is due to having faulty gaskets or broken gaskets. As mentioned above, with time and usage, gaskets develop small holes or carvings on them which will result in the steam leak.
Steam Leakage may not be a bad thing after all.
One of the main reasons why there is a steam leak in your cooker sometimes is due to the fact that the pressure developed inside the cooker is higher than required. In such cases, the steam leakage will cause the pressure to reduce and keep the cooking uniform.
2. Food taking too long to cook
While pressure cookers are known to cook food fast and delicious, it may not be the case always. Sometimes it takes a lot of time to cook the food. While it may be due to the ingredients or the recipe, there also may be an issue with your pressure cooker.
Leaking of Vapours:
Often than not, the vent pipe on the top of the cooker lifts up even for the smallest vapour and the vapour starts escaping through it.
This may be due to the pipe being filled with food debri or this debri blocking the actual route of the vapour.
A simple solution to this would be to regularly clean out the vent and place it.
Sometimes even with this, the problem may persist. This may be due to the loss of the weight bearing capability of the vent. You can buy these vents online or in stores to replace them for better performance.
3. The Lid Does Not Come Off
Sometimes, after you’re done with your cooking, you will find that the lid of the cooker is very tight and just won’t open. In such cases, stop trying to open the cooker forcibly. It may be dangerous.
This is due to large internal pressure being built up inside the cooker. When the pressure builds up and it doesn’t escape, it stays trapped inside the cooker. In such cases, pull of the vent from the top, let all the steam escape. Let the vessel sit for a while and then try to open it after all the vapour has escaped.
Also, the heat of the cooker may also have caused the cooker lid to expand and stay locked. In such cases, pour cold water on the lid to have it cool down, contract and then open it.
Here are list of important precautions:
- Before trying out a Recipe, thoroughly read the instructions given in the manual till you get familiarized with the way of using it. This could prevent from overcooking the food an also ensures safety.
- Gaskets: These are the rubber rings which you use to cover the base line of the pressure cooker lid. It is very essential to clean the Gasket top after every usage.
- Sometimes, the Gaskets may develop holes at certain places without our notice. If you come across any such thing in yours, then change it as soon as possible. It is advised to change these arts at least once in a year
- Frothy foods cookery: Our favorite instant foods which are ready to be cooked in minutes can cause blockage of the valves. So to avoid this, it is always a good idea to keep them aside before directly putting them into the pressure cooker.
- Proper cleaning of all the parts of the Pressure cooker is very important before starting out to cook your favorite recipe.
- Even after releasing the pressure completely, don’t open the lid instantly, rather let it cool down a bit.
- An important point to note here is that the cookers you purchase should have safety valves. Even when the main Pressure valve is clogged, this will help out to maintain the pressure levels.
- Usually safety valves are found on the top of the Lid made from rubber or alloy.
Frequently Asked Questions?
Contrary to the popular belief, most aluminium crockery is not harmful. If plated properly, aluminium vessels are safe to use too. Aluminium Cookers are low priced too.
Steel, on the other hand is a bit expensive. But it is sturdy and has a lot more durability than aluminium. Furthermore, cooking in a steel crockery is completely safe too.
The main difference between an electric cooker and a stovetop pressure cooker is the method of cooking. Electric cooker uses heat generated by electricity to cook meals whereas a pressure cooker, well, uses pressure to cook food. There are a lot of electric pressure cookers as well but given the amount of materials that go into an electric pressure cooker, they are expensive.
If you are living alone and need to get the job done faster, electric cookers are good. But if you are more focussed on the taste of the food, then go for pressure cookers. Stovetop or electric.
It is most certainly possible for a pressure cooker to explode. But they do not explode as big as they are depicted. The pressure inside a typical pressure cooker is about 1 atmosphere or so. That is about the same as a can of soda. The blasting of the pressure cooker will send in the fragments of the cooker which, are actually dangerous.
In order to prevent any such dangerous explosions, close the lid very tightly at all times and do not open the cooker until all of the steam inside the cooker comes out.
There have been a lot of studies that actually prove pressure cooked food is very healthy and safe to heat. Pressure or steam cooking of food helps in preserving the heat sensitive nutrients which otherwise evaporate and leave the food through vapour.
Cooking using pressure and steam is known to be the fastest method of cooking. Pressure cooking is said to save about 70% of your entire fuel energy. This is because it reduces the time taken for cooking thanks to the fast and rapid increases of temperature.
Though the increase of temperature takes time, the pressure cooker preserves the heat generated throughout the time it is on the stove and uses it to heat the food inside. As the heat and pressure cannot escape, they help cook food fast.
Do not remove the pressure cooker lid right away. First and always make sure that the pressure inside a cooker is all let outside and only when you realize that all of the pressure has gone out, attempt to take the lid open.
If the lid seems stiff even after the removal of steam, this may be due to the lid expanding due to the heat. Try to let the vessel cool down. This will let the metal to contract and it will help in opening it.
Wrapping this up, our best pick from the list above is, Prestige Deluxe stainless Steel Pressure Cooker. The long lasting Durability, Brand Assurance, Safety, Good Design, and most importantly the warranty period
All these features make it the best choice. What is your favorite cooker out of these and why? Let us know in the comments section below.