Whether you are a working professional or a home maker, pressure cooker will be your favorite cookware in the kitchen for the reduced cooking time and safety
Modern day pressure cookers are benefitting us by introducing innovative features like:
- Good conduction to heat for faster cooking and keep the food hot for longer time,
- Increased durability and toughness so that you no need to look for a new one for coming years
- Compatibility for using it on different cook tops like Induction, Gas Stove etc
So, now the step is just to select the best pressure cooker to cook your favorite food.
How to make a right choice?
Certain factors like the type, capacity, increased safety features, price, suitable material, shape etc should be considered and these factors makes the choice more easier. We have elaborated on these in our “Buyer’s Guide“.
Based on the factors mentioned above, we have listed out the Top 5 brands of Pressure cookers suitable for the purchase.
Best Pressure Cookers in India : 2019 Reviews
Here, we go with the list:
Pressure cookers of this brand are existing in the market since long, which is a trust factor to consider while purchasing it. More precisely, if you are looking out for long lasting durability and sturdiness, then this is an appropriate choice.
It is compatible to use on both cook tops like Induction and gas stove.
Provision of 3 safety valves indicates the extra pressure level inside the cooker. So, no need to worry anymore if the main pressure valve is clogged.
Another highlight feature which makes this product unique is the control gasket release system which provides you with the additional safety mechanism by indicating the pressure level and to cook food faster
As the alpha base is made from aluminum steel, it increases the conductivity of heat, and is better than pure stainless steel that has a lesser heat conduction property.
Insulated handles on the sides makes it comfortable to hold.
It is also provided with the easy locking mechanism to open the lid easily.
As the capacity of this cooker is 5.5 liters, you can easily cook and serve food for 5-8 people.
Cleaning it is also easy as it is also dishwasher safe and it does not develop any stains.
So you don’t need to put in any extra effort for maintaining it.
- Provision of additional safety mechanism
- High Durability and Toughness
- Good Design
- Easy Locking Mechanism
- Suitable on both Induction and LPG Gas Stove
- Resistant to corrosion
- ISI mark for quality and safety
- Slightly heavy to hold it
Hawkins has launched wide range of kitchenware products and has set up its brand in the market. This brand is now well recognized for maintaining the never decreasing quality and introducing new features with every new product.
One of its popular launches is the Hawkins multipurpose pressure cooker that is compatible to use on all the cook tops like Ceramic, Induction, Gas Stove, Electric and Halogen.
Hawkins multipurpose pressure cooker comes with a straight wall body ensures uniform distribution of heat which will cook your food quickly
Base made from aluminum sheet sandwiched between two stainless steel materials will help it last longer.
It is also anti-bulge base which does not corrode. So don’t worry if by chance your cooker base gets heated more.
Pressure valve, which is provided under the handle, assures you greater safety as it releases the extra pressure if the many valves have some blockage of the food particles
Just a point to be kept in mind is, as cooker lids are inside-fitting; don’t try to open it unless the pressure inside the cookers gets to an optimal level.
Otherwise this may lead to sudden pressure blow.
Capacity of this cooker is 5 liters, with which you can cook food for 4-7 people.
Cleaning it (cooker) is not at all a tough job as the setup is made from stainless steel which does not develop any stains and the handle is prepared from insulated material which you can hold with convenience.
You can completely rely on this product as they are offering a warranty of 5 years.
Overall, this is the best purchase with great features consolidated at a place
- Elegant Design for uniform distribution of heat and faster cooking
- Compatible to use on almost all kind of cook tops
- Corrosion resistant
- Easy cleaning setup
- Increased Durability and sturdiness
- Heavier when compared to the other cookers
Elgi Ultra is a well known brand in the market. Now they caught the attention of the customers by introducing the Diet cookers. This is probably the first brand in India that launched diet cookers.
Unlike other pressure cookers, you will be able to reduce 30 calories per each meal you cook with Elgi. This is possible as it comes with a unique starch remover made from stainless steel which collects the starch at the bottom. This additional accessory can be used in cookers with higher capacities (5.5 L etc) also.
It can also be used on Induction cook top apart from LPG Gas stove
Safety valves through which pressure gets released if there is a blockage observed in the main pressure valve.
You can easily get the gaskets suitable for this in any kitchenware store. So, no need to panic if you find any leakage in it and want to replace it immediately.
Material made from stainless steel gives it a brighter look and also prevents from forming pits.
Bakelite handles will not heat up. So you can hold it with ease.
As the capacity of this cooker is confined to 3 Liters, you will be able to cook 200 grams of rice on an average. For each recipe just check as to how much level of water is to be added. Because adding extra water will leave the rice at the bottom wet and soggy.
It is completely dishwasher safe, but be a little careful which hand cleaning it, as the stand stainer has sharper edges. To make it safer, you can use the dish washer brushes to clean it.
- Unique Design
- Long Lasting Durability
- ISI mark to ensure trust on the Quality and Safety
- Additional starch remover
- Heavier to carry and clean
- Precautions should be taken while cleaning it as it may lead to scratches.
Since decades, Butterfly is famous for its elegant design and the quality of each product they launch which are being recognized in India and other countries as well.
Butterfly stainless Pressure cooker is mesmerizing us with its elegant design.
Quality stainless steel used for the manufacture of this product ensures its durability.
Butterfly is compatible to be used on Induction cook top also.
The base is like a very thick capsule which helps withstand high heat which avoids burning of food.
Pressure weight set designed for this is suitable for faster cooking and also provided with an easy grip handle which stays cooler.
It is equipped with a special uni-lock direction mechanism, and the gasket vent comes with a safety valve for removing excessive pressure if the main pressure valve fails to work at time due to blockage. Gasket control release system assures you high safety and ensures faster cooking.
The gasket is also made from high quality material which does not develop any holes that easily.
And even if it develop, or there is any need to replace any spare part there is absolutely no need to worry about the spare parts availability as every kitchenware mall will have butterfly accessories easily available.
This Butterfly pressure cooker is of 5 liters, with which you will be able to cook food for 4-7 people.
Cleaning will not be a problem and there is no need to use any specific material for cleaning it.
- Gasket release system which serves as an additional safety feature
- High durability to last longer
- Easy to handle and clean
- Aesthetic Design for good heat conduction
- 5 year warranty period
- ISO certified to assure quality and safety
- Heavy in weight
- Sometimes the whistle may fail to give the buzzing sound to indicate the pressure safety level.
Pristine cookware finds its presence in the market as it always tries to provide cookware at a much affordable rate.
This newly introduced pressure cooker comes with an apple cut design which distributes the heat from the sides. This keeps the food hot for long time after cooking.
As it is made from stainless steel material, we can expect good durability.
As it is provided with sandwich based Induction bottom, conduction of heat will help us to cook food faster and makes it suitable to use on Induction and normal Gas stoves as well
This is best suitable to be used as a pressure cooker as it has outer lid.
Though this product is newly introduced into the market, there is no need to search for the parts like gaskets etc as they will be readily available online as well as in the nearby kitchen appliance stores.
There is no side handle, so be careful while holding it when the surface is hot.
As its capacity is only 2 liters, you can cook food for 2-3 people on an average.
There will absolutely be no hindrance in the process of cleaning it, as it is dishwasher safe and even if you are hand cleaning it, there are no sharp edges to hurt your palms.
Pristine Induction stainless steel pressure cooker offers a decent warranty period of 2 years. So you can trust the quality and surely go for it
- Long Lasting Durability
- Design for uniform heat distribution
- Easy to clean
- Accessories like Gaskets are easily available everywhere
- 2 years warranty period for quality assurance
- Is not ISI certified
How to Choose Pressure Cookers?
Here, we have defined some very important points to be kept in mind while choosing a perfect Pressure cooker.
1. Types of Pressure cookers
Well, there are three types
- Stainless Steel cookers
- Hand Anodized Pressure Cookers
- Aluminum pressure cookers
Let’s move on to stating the major differences among these three.
a) Stainless Steel Pressure Cookers:
- This is the best and beats out the competition in comparison with the other two.
- First due to its durability and the body also remains long lasting.
- Stainless steel cookers are a little costly in comparison with Aluminum and less costly when compared to Hand Anodized cookers.
- It doesn’t have high conduction to heat like Aluminum.
- For this reason, there is a little modification to this i.e. now they are being replaced by Aluminum clad basses.
- This again leads to the classification of Stainless Steel cookers into two types – Stainless Steel cookers and Stainless Steel cookers with Aluminum Clad Basses. The only difference is the second is a very good conductor to heat.
b)Hand Anodized Pressure cookers:
- These are light weight when compared to Stainless Steel cookers.
- Their durability is also higher which makes them last for long time.
- Design also doesn’t wear our and these are corrosion resistant.
Warning: It is a good idea not to use scrubs made of metal while cleaning them as this may lead to scratches in the long run. As mentioned, they are a little costlier when compared to Stainless Steel cookers.
c)Aluminum Pressure cookers:
- This is first introduced into the market after which the other two cookers came into the existence.
- The reason why most people are replacing this from their kitchen is due to its less durability and also they tend to react with acidic substances.
- Aluminum cookers are affordable as the price is very less.
- These are less durable and are very good conductors of heat. These cookers are very light in weight.
- As these are easily susceptible to stains, the design may not last longer as expected.
2. Pressure Cooker Size
Well, it depends on how many members are there in your home or elsewhere. It also depends on the number of portions you are making in it to cook every day. The sizes range from 0.5 liter to 9 liters.
- Please remember not to fill out ingredients beyond the recommended level.
- Cookers with larger size requires little effort to clean.
Now, let us ponder on the different shapes available. Some brands like Prestige comes in different shapes and each shape comes with a peculiarity
Out of all, cooker with straight wall body and Apple cut are preferred as heat is uniformly distributed.
Pressure Handi: Ready for a Perfect Biryani Recipe!? Brands like Prestige have introduced Pressure cookers which are specially designed for this.
4. Cook top compatibility
Another important factor to be considered. Choose your cooker which depending on the type of gas stove used by you. If you are very particular to cook on the induction stove, then go through the product description before purchasing one. Not all the pressure cookers are suitable to be used on the induction stoves. We suggest you to not purchase the Non-stick Pressure Cookers as these will not last longer
5. Cleaning made easy
The cooker you are purchasing should also be comfortable for you to clean. It depends on the size and heaviness if you are hand cleaning it. If you are using dishwasher then both Aluminum and Stainless steel are compatible.
Also look for the ISI mark on the pressure cooker you are choosing. ISI follow certain guidelines and standards before certifying a product. This builds up a trust factor on both safety and quality of the product. Some pressure cookers do not contain this mark.
7. Warranty and Price
The top brands always offer a good warranty. Please also go through the warranty period and reviews of each product before the purchase.
It is always a good idea to analyze the features you are getting with your estimated budget
8. Other Important Features
- The Lid: They are again available in two varieties depending on the cooker you choose. The Lids and their latching mechanism vary from the cooker type. Cookers with inner lid which is suitable to cook directly in the vessel and also as a Separator. Cookers with outer Lid are only suitable to cook directly in the vessel. These lids usually have a steam vent for releasing the pressure.
- Pan: Now-a-days pans are being made from materials like ceramic, etc which are easy to clean.
- Handles: Handles that are made of plastic get heated up quickly which will not allow you to hold it comfortably. So, check before purchasing.
- Base: Three types of bases available are anti-bulge base, induction base and alpha base.
- Pressure valves: There are three types of pressure valves. They are the weighted valve, modified Weighted Valve and spring valve
- Weighted valve: This “Jiggle-top” valve which is placed on top of the lid. This gives a buzzing sound to indicate the release of the pressure.
- Modified weighted valve unlike weighted valve releases steam before cooking starts.
- In modern day pressure cookers you usually find spring valves which pop up when the pressure is released completely. Spring valves allows to make adjustments to maintain the pressure level.
Here are list of important precautions:
- Before trying out a Recipe, thoroughly read the instructions given in the manual till you get familiarized with the way of using it. This could prevent from overcooking the food an also ensures safety.
- Gaskets: These are the rubber rings which you use to cover the base line of the pressure cooker lid. It is very essential to clean the Gasket top after every usage.
- Sometimes, the Gaskets may develop holes at certain places without our notice. If you come across any such thing in yours, then change it as soon as possible. It is advised to change these arts at least once in a year
- Frothy foods cookery: Our favorite instant foods which are ready to be cooked in minutes can cause blockage of the valves. So to avoid this, it is always a good idea to keep them aside before directly putting them into the pressure cooker.
- Proper cleaning of all the parts of the Pressure cooker is very important before starting out to cook your favorite recipe.
- Even after releasing the pressure completely, don’t open the lid instantly, rather let it cool down a bit.
- An important point to note here is that the cookers you purchase should have safety valves. Even when the main Pressure valve is clogged, this will help out to maintain the pressure levels.
- Usually safety valves are found on the top of the Lid made from rubber or alloy.
Wrapping this up, our best pick from the list above is, Prestige Deluxe stainless Steel Pressure Cooker. The long lasting Durability, Brand Assurance, Safety, Good Design, and most importantly the warranty period
All these features make it the best choice. What is your favorite cooker out of these and why? Let us know in the comments section below.