A drilling machine is a utility tool that is generally used in the construction industry. They come in different sizes and types, manual and computer controlled etc. But drilling machines can also be used as a potent home improvement and repairing tool and in this article we are here with the best drilling machines that you can buy online in India especially for home use.
A drilling machine can be used for any DIY project of yours which involves drilling holes on concrete walls or any kind of metallic surfaces. It can help you assemble furniture all by yourself and can also act as a potent screwdriver for any kind of screwdriving needs. Be it any type of surface, it can take care of anything and investing in one is a smart decision as it is going to save both your time and money by automating your whole work!
Nowadays they widely differ in type, size and performance. The very recent ones in the market have ditched the old lead batteries and have come up with long-lasting lithium-ion batteries, amplified charger, dual battery support, light-weight and easy to grip designs like pistol drill grip, hammer drill grip and much more for added support.
With so many options to choose from and various things to keep under consideration, if you are a beginner you might get puzzled. You might be looking for a high-speed high power model or a light-weight low power model that will fit your budget. Experienced or not, we will suggest you to go through our “Buying Guide” which will help you narrow down your options according to your personal need and budget.
Also, we have listed some of the greatest budget friendly drilling machines available in India right now. These are listed after proper research by our expert team, 96 hours of hand on experiments and consulting with their users online. Choose any one as you simply can’t go wrong with any of them.
Top 7 Best Drilling Machines India
|Drill Machine||Weight (approx.)||Wattage||Warranty||Buy Now|
|Bosch GSB 500W 10 RE Professional Tool Kit||1.5 kg||500 Watts||6 months||Check the Price|
|Black & Decker KR554RE Reversible Hammer Drill Machine||1.99 kg||550 Watts||6 months||Check the Price|
|Bosch GSB RE 450-Watt Kit||1.5 kg||450 Watts||6 months||Check the Price|
|Cheston Cordless Drill/Screwdriver||1.5 kg||500 Watts||6 months||Check the Price|
|iBELL Cordless Driver Drill CD12-74||1.3 kg||300 Watts||6 months||Check the Price|
|KHADIJA HI-MAX 400W Drill Machine||1.2 kg||400 Watts||6 months||Check the Price|
|Foster FPD-010A Pistol Grip Drill Machine||1.5 kg||450 Watts||3 months||Check the Price|
Professional or a beginner if you are passionate about crafting DIY projects or fixing/repairing household furniture, toys, drilling holes to hang favorite pictures, then this Bosch Professional tool kit is for you.
Compared to other branded iron drilling machine types, it is very easy to maintain, and also consumes low power. For this reason, we’ve given Bosch as one of the best drilling toolkits in India.
The compact design minimizes the difficulty in working small spaces and performing overhead tasks. With just 1.5 kg of weight it is light, portable and provides a stress-free and comfortable working experience
As many as 100 pieces of accessories come with the kit to support home and commercial requirements. They include claw hammer, adjustable wrench, socket wrench, spirit level, adjustable knife, screws and plugs, nut/screwdriver bit holder, key chuck, combination pliers along with 4 metal drill bits, 5 wood drill bits, 5 masonry drill bits. You also get a tool kit for well organized and easy carrying options.
The forward/reverse mode allows quick shifting between clockwise/anticlockwise directions based on the type of work you assemble. Electronic control technology guides you to drill with precision by adjusting the pilot hole you drill.
Using a rotating brush plate, you can move forth/back when switched to forward and reverse modes while screw driving, and thereby facilitating an easy rotary action. Also, the Bosch drilling machine comes with a convenient switch to lock the current speed. This feature helps to maintain a constant speed and is beneficial for the beginners.
To recapitulate, this Bosch hand drill machine gives you the freedom to work conveniently and stress-free anytime, and anywhere. It is a complete package with powerful performance, user-friendly features, solid build quality and hundreds of different tool kits. Moreover, customer reviews are fantabulous and the prices are very less compared to other brands.
What made us disappointed is the absence of user-friendly manual and the power cord length is too small where you need to use an extension in most cases.
- Operates maximum at 2600 RPM.
- Ergonomic grip and handle design
- Backed with 6-months warranty.
- Forward and reverse functionality.
- 500 watts input and 250 watts output power.
- Multipurpose usage – drill, hammer, screwdriver.
- Small power cord length.
- Does not contain instruction manual.
Over the years, Black and Decker have become famous for bringing high quality products with innovative designs at cheap rates.
The reversible hammers brings the joy of doing DIY projects, fixing broken toys and any kind of household furniture, drilling holes on walls, wooden surfaces to hang your choice of pictures or wall hangings .
This Black and Decker hammer drill machine comes in a lightweight and ergonomic design with rubberized handle to provide better gripping options and even reduces the strain on arms while working for longer periods.
It comes with powerful tools and accessories like auxiliary handle, corrosion free 13 mm chuck key, corded cable, and 4 drill bits to match with the user requirements. Dual mode option – rotary mode for drilling into wooden/ metal surfaces and hammering mode to drill through concretes, can be accessed with a single tap on the switch at the top.
It can perform drilling in both clockwise and anti-clockwise directions, helps to drive the drilling machine out of the surface smoothly without creating any damage. The 20 inch gauge acts as a scale in measuring drilling depth to get that precise drilling each time.
Using the lock on button, you can monitor the drilling speed when used continuously for a long time. The machine has a 550 Watt powerful motor with variable speed control settings to change depending on your task. Also, it has an insulated shock proof plastic body which protects against shocks or system failure.
Overall, this drilling machine is suitable for home use as well as hard-core drilling tasks, performs all sort of works from DIY projects to repairing furniture, comes with dual- functions, variable speed settings , forward and reverse action, also the price is on the lower side if you look at its features. Also, with 6-months of comprehensive warranty this is totally the best budget drilling machine in India. The major drawback with this model is the average quality bits which are not effective for concrete drilling.
Black and Decker is also available as 10mm at very low prices for repairing and fixing in homes.
- Affordable price range
- Robust body
- Rotating and hammering action
- Variable speed settings
- Reverse function
- Ergonomic and lightweight design
- 550-watts of powerful motor
- 6 months of manufacturing warranty
- Multipurpose usage – wood, metal or steel and concrete
- Cable short in length.
- Average quality bits
If you are looking for an electric drill machine to help you with carpentry, plumbing and building works, then you must have this Bosch drilling machine at home. They even work well on commercial crafting like the garden furniture, shopping malls, restaurants, villas, etc.
This amazing product saves energy and yet delivers high performance while working on it. It comes with multiple accessories to support on concrete, steel and wood walls. You get a whole bunch of bits- 4 concrete, 4 metal and 4 wood bits with 6, 8 and 10 mm diameter which will cover any drilling job around your home and working fields.
The ergonomically designed body is made of MS and plastic is robust, lightweight and easy to handle. For better portability the whole set comes in nylon carrying case.
It performs hassle-free smooth function with a load speed of 0-2600 RPM. A powerful motor of 450 watts can drill on wood, metal and concrete surfaces with equal efficiency. It is possible to remove old plugs and nails embedded in the wall. The cushioned grip provides comfortable and firm gripping to handle for long period of actions.
Switch to the forward/reverse modes, with just one click and get desired length drilling, press the reverse button to pull the machine out of the surface automatically. There is also a button to select between hammering and screwing modes. Continue with one constant drilling speed with the lock speed button, this is very helpful for the beginners to get a control over speed.
To conclude, this Bosch drilling machine kit in India comes at reasonable prices so that a limited budget user can invest on this model without having a second thought. Bosch drill machine reviews are good and is backed with 6-months of warranty services from the date of purchase.
Only disadvantage of using this product is the device gets heated up quickly due to the poor build quality. Also, some people have complained that the device is not very suitable for heavy workloads. Other than that, it adds a great value to the money you pay for. The quality, 3 different set of bits and features are truly worth the price.
This Bosch drilling machine is also available in 13mm of drilling diameter to support greatly on concrete walls.
- Very economical to buy.
- Made of plastic and metal.
- Robust and powerful motor.
- 450-watts of operating power.
- Different sized bits and screws.
- 6 months of manufacturing warranty.
- Useful for small household activities.
- Lightweight and portable drilling machine.
- Build quality is not up to the mark.
- Not suited for very heavy workloads.
The fourth position on this list is taken by Cheston Cordless Drill. This is a very sturdy and convenient product from Cheston. It is extremely well-made, and very portable as it comes in a proper driver kit and affordable as well.
The build quality is capable enough of drilling into many surfaces like wood, metal, concrete, brick and screwdriving etc. It is mainly aimed at providing that much-needed support for all your home projects, and being a cordless drill, it offers that desired portability factor, unlike the corded ones.
The whole design is ergonomic and extremely compact. We really like the fact that it is lightweight and designed to withstand anything thrown at it. It is very strong when it comes to the driver and comes with our favorite handle grip which offers ergonomics bundled with good grip quality thanks to soft rubber, and support for fatigue-free execution.
As we stated earlier drilling ability is excellent. It is ideal for any type of metal, wood or brick work. It boasts a 2-speed transmission and a 19+1 position clutch for screwdriving and any type of drilling. Also offers good torque values and speed of 0-600 rpm which is sufficient for a wide range of applications. The clutch prevents any type of slipping or overdriving and improves overall control of the drill. Not to forget the reverse action that is very handy for unscrewing.
Battery life is commendable with its lithium-ion pack of 1200/1500mah. You can expect charging times to hover around 1 hour. It is good for tight spaces especially if it is dark because it comes with specially integrated LEDs that provide good lighting. There is also an indicator light that shows the real-time battery level.
Overall, a premium product that comes with almost everything that you want on a drill. It comes with a 6 month warranty and in our opinion is a great value for money product.
- Lightweight, extremely sturdy and well designed
- Ergonomic hand grips with soft rubber padding. Anti-slip and comfortable for easy one-hand operation.
- Powerful motor with a speed of 600 RPM.
- Offers good torque while screwdriving thanks to 19+1 torque setting.
- Superior battery life. You can easily expect upwards of 50 minutes per cycle.
- Comes with 2 batteries. Charging time of each one is only 1 hour.
- Real-time battery indicator
- Front LED lamp for working at night.
- No extra accessories like drill bits.
- There are negative reports on the spare battery provided.
iBELL is another cool choice for people who will use it for both easy installation and building applications. The unit is quite cheaper than its costlier alternatives but holds solid build quality and top-notch performance.
The strong and sturdy build quality is capable of drilling almost all surfaces from wood, concrete to metal and stones.
The compact design and lightweight plastic body provides comfort and lessen user fatigue after prolonged usage. The soft grip handle positioning prevents slipping while drilling pliable or hard surfaces. For portability issues, it comes in a BMC box with separate pockets for accessories.
A keyless chuck accepts a wide range of round/ hex-shank drill bits along with screw driver bits. Keyless chuck with an in-built reverse mode prevents it from overdriving of screws.
In combination with all these, it boasts variable speed controller with two speed settings for a range of different drilling tasks. Dual speed settings with 350 & 400 RPM are effective for a safe countersinking with zero damage.
The cordless drill machine works with a rechargeable battery and comes with an additional battery backup. There is a battery indicator at the bottom of the handle.
- 12-Volts cordless drill
- 1500ma battery life
- Drilling capacity – 10mm for Steel and 15mm for Wood
- Dual Speed controls, 350 and 1400 RPM
- Variable 2-speed settings
- Battery charge light
- Easy store BMC box
- Torque Settings
Wrapping it up the unit is a complete package with a perfect combination of price, build quality and performance, can handle easy to most hard drilling tasks with great efficiency. Also offers 6 months of warranty on the motor.
- Cordless and lightweight
- Keyless chuck accepts varieties of bits
- Variable speed controls and 2 speed settings
- Extra battery back up
- Battery charge indicator
- Easy store BMC box
- 6 months of warranty
- Batteries with short life span
- Charger is not reliable
KHADIJA HI-MAX with multi drilling speed setting can handle almost all drilling jobs around your house from hanging pictures to general repairs.
400 watt powerful copper winded motor can drill though hard-wood, fiber, plastic, aluminium and other light metal sheets. It has air-vents to cool off the heated machine after prolonged usage.
The solid plastic body and pistol grip handle allows you to tightly hold the machine during the performance. The ergonomic design helps you hold the device for a long time without any difficulty or pain.
Unlike other models at this price range, HI-MAX has reverse and forward rotation along with speed control settings which is perfect for driving screws or nails with perfection and without damage. The lowest speed is suitable for screwing while the highest is idle for drilling hard woods or metal surfaces.
A 10 mm standard chuck size can fit several drill bits with different sizes and functions, such as High Speed Steel or HSS and diamond drill bits which are useful for drilling sleeves and screw holes on concrete walls.
For your ease of use it is provided with a trigger on/off switch at the very base of the handle. This is used to maintain a constant speed while drilling for an extended period of time.
Overall, the product is worth your consideration when you are looking for a budget driller required for home use. The build quality is solid, weighs pretty light, cordless and a very good choice for DIY projects. Offers 6 months of warranty, speed control setting for variable usage, forward and reverse motion and a handy on/off trigger switch.
- Speed regulators
- Forward and reverse action
- Air vents protection for overheating
- Solid plastic body with cordless pistol handle
- Trigger on/off switch
- 6 months of warranty
- Can’t be used continuously for a very long time
- Not effective in drilling concrete walls
Foster FPD-010A is super efficient in solving day-to-day home repayments. The product is budget friendly and offers good quality.
The pistol hand grip is handy and gives a stable hold. 10 mm chuck size is compatible with other drilling accessories as it can fit several drill bits. It holds the bits firmly and drills precisely. Strong chuck jaws can withstand wear and tear with ease. It feels like it will last long and performs smoothly.
The drill performs best at drilling wooden holes, digs as deep as 15mm. Works great for those who are thinking of assembling new furniture or repairing old one.
450 watt motor with 2600 RPM speed can drill through metal and concrete too, if you want. In that case, you will need some hammer drill bits and HSS drill bits respectively. Average drilling capacity for steel and concrete is 10mm which seems to be fair enough at this price range.
Good quality motor with copper winding armature increases its electrical efficiency. If you ever manage to jam the drill inside the hard-surface, turn on the reverse button to pull it out safely without causing any damage to the wall.
The orange colour looks decent and a simple on/off switch on the handle makes it easier to drill without pressing them during the whole time.
To sum it up the unit is super affordable, strong and sturdy, mostly suitable for driving screws or nails or drilling pilot holes through hard woods. You will also get an easy to read user manual. A total value for money unit and does its job perfectly.
- 2600 RPM speed
- Handy pistol grip
- Efficient motor with copper winding armature
- Reverse motion
- Only 3 months of warranty
- Not very suitable for drilling hard concrete walls
Drilling machine Buying guide
There are varieties of drilling machines of different types, sizes, brands and functions. Some of them are for professional use; cost more and some are very handy, costs less yet performs all household repairing. To narrow down your searches we shall be discussing their features, functions depending on your purpose of use. This buying guide is going to be an assortment of all the things you must consider before you just go and determine on buying something without proper knowledge.
1. Types of Drills
Drills come in different varieties depending upon their functions.
- Drill Drivers: The most basic type of drills with dual functionality – drills holes and acts as screwdrivers (for loosening and tightening screws). Useful for simple tasks like putting up shelves or assembling DIY furniture.
- Combination Drills: These slightly advanced drills have triple functionality – drills holes, acts as screwdrivers and also acts as a hammer drill for very hard surfaces like concrete.
- Rotary Hammer Drills/SDS Drills: SDS (Self Direct System) drills are meant for heavy-duty drilling through concrete or masonry. These are slightly bulkier but are multifunctional and can be used for chiseling too.
- Hammer Drills/Percussion Drills: These are the most advanced and powerful drills, especially suited for extra heavy duty drilling through hard rock or masonry. The rotation plus drill functions work together, making it more powerful than SDS drills.
2. Corded Drills Vs Cordless Drills
The first and foremost decision to make while buying a drilling machine is between corded and cordless. They both have some advantages and disadvantages, depending on your usage.
- Cordless drills– they are more convenient to use. They are lighter than the cordless one and offers high mobility. You can use them anywhere without the struggle of power cords. You can avoid tripping over cords so they are quite safe.
The high powered ones (18-24v) can be heavy or even heavier than the corded ones. Usually, 12-18v is enough for all kind of homeowner’s works and 4-8 volts can perform lighter duties cordless screwdrivers.
A cordless drilling machine’s battery requires charging from time to time. You may want to keep a separate battery so you can work while it gets charged and you don’t run out of power that way. Their battery life is also limited. The costliest will last up to 2-3 years max.
Be careful with the battery they come with, Lithium-Ion batteries are always superior compared to Nickel-Metal-Hydride batteries. They are more powerful, lasts long, contain less harmful metal elements. Also, look at amp-hours, more amp-hours and more volts batteries run a long time but the battery life will always depend on how much it functions, what material it works with and battery charge level.
- Corded drills- they are more powerful and often lighter than cordless drills with similar functionalities. Steady power supply runs the device for a greater time and never stops because of low battery charge. An amp-hour rating denotes the power of a corded drill. They are often cheaper than cordless drills. But again the power cord gets in the way restricting the area of working and portability. You will require an extension cord when working with a corded drill machine.
Chunk is the metal shaft of a drilling machine that holds the bits (the metal part that makes hole) together. They come in different types and sizes.
- Sizes of chucks- 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch are the standard sizes. 1/4 chuck size is suitable for light duties, 3/8 is the most popular size, ideal for almost all work around the house and fits a wide range of different sized bits. However, if you want big diameter drilling machine for heavier applications, go for 1/2 inch chucks, as 3/8 inch drill will not accept several larger bits.
- Types of chucks– there are two types of chucks in a drilling machine, namely Keyed chuck and un-keyed chuck. They keyed chuck uses a mechanical key to loosen and tighten the drilling machine bits and in un-keyed chucks you have to hold the chuck in your hands and the bits get tighten as you power the drill.
A good drilling machine should possess the power to penetrate through masonry and other hard surfaces. Average drilling machines have a customary 500 watt power, they can perform almost all household repairs, but you can buy lesser power machines with 450 watt if your needs are limited. While you will get some more powerful machines ranging between 600-700 watts for professional use to drill through metal substances.
5. Size and Weight of the Drill
A drill machine is a hand-held tool used for boring holes in various materials. Hence, the size and weight of the drill are important factors while choosing which product to purchase, depending on your requirement. Smaller ergonomic drills are more comfortable to use around the house while bulky drills are more suitable for heavy duty usage.
6. Other Important Features
- Reverse– it is used to get the stuck bits out of the surfaces. If your bit gets stuck inside the woods or concretes and you can’t pull it out by strength, put the machine in reverse mode and it will come out easily. It is a must have feature in case you are not using the machine only for driving screws. A keyless chuck will have reverse by default but for others, check properly before buying.
- RPM & Impact rate- more the RPM (revolution per minute) level smoother the drilling becomes. Also, drilling machines with better impact rate ensures better penetration. Most of the devices match the standard RPM level and Impact rate, but if you want top-notch functionality you should consider these factors.
- A Torque Clutch- it is a must look-into feature if you use the machine for driving screws. With the help of a clutch, you can select maximum torque level after which the drilling will stop. This is used to prevent from driving the screws too deep into something. Low torque and high speed is for drilling soft materials and high torque lower speed for hard materials.
- Gear- for multipurpose use go for a driller with more than one gear. First gear works well for driving screws and the second one is for actual drilling with higher speeds.
7. Additional features
While buying a drilling machine suitable for your use, look for additional features as hammering mode or screw-driver mode. A hammering mode is useful to crack some surfaces while a screw-driver mode is ideal for tightening the screws more effectively. It completely depends on what purpose you will be using it.
8. Drill or Kit:
The whole drilling kit comprises a bunch of tools for all kind of repairing works. It is much expensive, whereas a single drilling machine costs less as it comes with only some bits, key, chunks and sufficient for household requirements. First, decide which one you really need and save yourself from splurging over non-required things.
Most of the drills with basic features cost around 200, some with added features for expert use can cost you 2500 or above. If you are not a professional, these may not work for you; consider buying the basic ones instead. If you need to buy the full kit along with hammer, pliers and wrench it will cost not less than 5000 and sometimes more.
10. Brand & Warranty
A good brand comes with superior build quality, reliability and top-notch performance. A reputable brand will always offer a decent warranty period. While purchasing drilling machines try to go for the ones which provide at least 6 months of warranty.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to maintain my drill?
As it is a power tool, there are simple ways to maintain your drill. The basic step is to keep your drill clean and free from any type of leftover dust and debris. It may not be an easy task as drills are used in so many different scenarios and applications. You can use a blow gun to blow away any debris and fragments. Alternatively, always check the carbon brushes inside the tool from time to time. Carbon brushes are a part of any power tool which depletes with age and use. You can use a slotted screwdriver to check if it is fine.
2. I get a burning smell while using my drill. Why is it happening?
This is a very common thing among drilling machines. If you get a burning smell while using the drilling machines, it basically suggests that the motor is being overly stressed or overheating. This is applicable not only in drills but also in any power tools. This can also be an indication that the drill is being used on something that it isn’t meant for or used incorrectly. This occurs when the motor’s fans are not able to cool the motor windings fast enough leading to overheating and melting of varnish coating. It is not an alarming situation though. If you get the smell again, just withdraw it from whatever you are working on and leave the machine running. This will give time to the motors to cool down the windings and you can start working again as usual.
3. How to ensure that I don’t overload my drill every time?
To prevent any type of overloading on your drill, you must ensure that you reduce the cutting load. It can be done in the following ways:
- Use one or more pilot drills.
- You can use lubricants for cutting and cooling.
- Maintain quality standards and use sharp drills and accessories.
- Slow down speed or change gears.
- Don’t force the drill; let the drill do its work on its own.
- Regular cleaning and maintenance.
4. My drill always gets stuck while drilling. Taking it out is a big headache! What shall I do?
This is a very common issue among users who are new to drilling. Most drills have a reverse option. If you are stuck on a wooden or a concrete surface, it is advised to use the reverse option in drills. What it does is that, it simply reverses back you to the initial position. So, you don’t have to pull anything out, the drill will pull itself out smoothly and you will never get stuck. Almost all drilling machines have this option, but you must check it on your user manual.
5. My drill isn’t working properly, what will I do now?
If your drill isn’t working right, you must enquire if your tool is still under warranty. If it is indeed under warranty, go to the place of purchase immediately and they will do the required things. If it isn’t under warranty, unfortunately, it is better you go to any agent for repairing or buy a new drill altogether. Most people choose the latter!
6. I need a drill machine to do all my basic household repairs and needs. What power rating is suitable?
A basic 450-500 watts drilling machine is perfectly suitable for any type of household work like drilling through wood, driving screws and simple repairs. Keep in mind; go for something that is ergonomic and easily portable or else it will be very messy and cumbersome to do any work. Fortunately, most of the machines these days are designed well and comes with a lot of useful features.
It is not possible to scream for a carpenter every time you need to hang a picture, or fix a broken chair leg or toys. Having your own drilling machine at home always comes handy in emergency situations. If you are a beginner or DIY enthusiast without any practical knowledge of drilling, worry not! They all come with an easy to read manual and if not there are hundreds of YouTube videos to assist you.
Decide what purpose it will serve, how much your budget is and read our buying guide is prior to all in case you are not a professional. For light-duty works you can opt for the ones with fewer facilities, tools and lower budget but if you want to experience the best quality drilling machine with all possible functions, features and tools, our suggestion is the Bosch GSB 500W 10 RE Professional Tool Kit , this is enough for a person who needs a driller for themselves, doesn’t matter if he is a professional or a beginner, it is that easy to operate, gives one powerful drilling result, has a solid build quality, comes with hundreds of accessory tools and is supported by 6 months of comprehensive warranty.
Which drilling machine you like the most? Are you using any of the branded drilling machines? If you have any queries about any of the over mentioned products feel free to share them in the comment section.