Lights at our homes, offices, and other places enrich the environment. Sometimes, you use them for studying while sometimes for decoration purposes. But you can reap the full benefit if you know which type of light is suited for which purpose.
The market has a whole variety of lights for you to choose from. Weren’t you aware of that fact? Well, if you weren’t and are intrigued to know, read this article in full. You’ll discover various types of lights and make the most of them. So, let’s just begin.
Some Common Types of Lights
The bulbs that produce both light and heat are known as incandescent bulbs. And the light they emit is known as incandescent lighting. It’s a great alternative to light energy, which comes from the sun. It because of the color spectrum, which is quite close to the natural light.
Incandescent bulbs are meant for common illumination purposes. However, other alternatives such as LEDs, HIDs, and fluorescent lamps are taking the place of incandescent lighting. These bulbs use the same amount of energy as other bulbs do but produce a more visible amount of light.
- Produces good light similar to natural light
- Poor Quality
- Incandescent light bulbs are usually very costly and fail to justify their cost in the long run.
This lighting is better than incandescent ones. It’s because fluorescent lighting lasts for a long, consumes less power, and produces less heat. Fluorescent lighting is available both in the form of tubes and bulbs. The tube forms a strip that lights the whole room and is usually mounted on the wall.
- Energy efficient
- Looks amazing
- Slightly pricey
Compact Fluorescent bulbs
Compact Fluorescent bulbs have the same use but are more compact than the tubes. This type of lighting is quite popular because of its bright lighting. The days when the fluorescent lights were overly bright are long gone. Fluorescent lights now come in a range of shades for you to choose from.
You can find tubes with an enclosed phosphor that delivers warm tones. There are ‘warm‘ or ‘soft‘ white-colored fluorescent bulbs, which are better than incandescent bulbs.
Today’s better formulations of phosphor inside the tubes provide warmer tones. The best “soft” or “warm” white fluorescent bulbs available now are similar in color to standard incandescent lighting.
- Fluorescent lighting consumes less amount of energy as compared to incandescent lighting
- This lighting radiates less heat than fluorescent lighting.
- Flicker: It’s a major downside of fluorescent lighting. After some time of usage, you’ll notice a slight flicker from the source. And it can be quite distracting. However, you can counter this effect using proper lenses. Or you can shield the source of light to get indirect lighting yet flicker-free light.
This lighting is quite similar to incandescent lighting. Here the bulb’s filament is surrounded by halogen and any other inert gas. This makes the bulb more efficient and makes it last for long. Tungsten-halogen lighting bulbs provide more light per watt as compared to incandescent bulbs.
The halogen bulbs are very bright. So, you need to position them correctly to reduce any shadow or glare. Also, halogen lights produce a lot of heat with light. And this is what makes it quite dangerous as compared to other lighting types.
- Tungsten-halogen lights produce bright light
- This lighting is more energy-efficient and has more life
- Heat radiation: These bulbs radiate too much heat along with the light. So, you must make sure it’s out of the reach of children and visually impaired persons. Otherwise, it can lead to injuries caused due to excessive heat.
Compact Fluorescent Lamps or CFLs
Compact Fluorescent lamps are good alternatives to incandescent lighting bulbs. CFLs work on fluorescent lamps’ principles and produce the same amount of light while consuming a lesser amount of energy.
You’ll notice a spiral structure with loops in these lamps. These loops are filled with mercury and look similar to an incandescent bulb. The CFL usually last longer than incandescent bulbs. The average life can be 10,000 hours, which is quite impressive.
- Such bulbs consume less energy and have a higher luminous efficiency
- The life of CFLs is quite long as compared to incandescent bulbs
- There’s mercury enclosed in the tubular loops. It’s the reason why these bulbs are quite hard and non-environment friendly to dispose of.
This is one of the most advanced and popular lighting solutions, which has ever existed. LED bulbs or lighting produce light when electricity passes through a simple circuit. LED or light-emitting diode produces light, which is quite similar to daylight.
And this is what makes LED bulbs quite practical. The light produces by these bulbs is usually used to focus on particular objects. It is also used at reception desks or study tables. LEDs are highly customizable. You can configure it to produce illumination in different directions, similar to incandescent bulbs.
LED bulbs are healthy as they do not emit UV radiation. Also, the heat emitted by these bulbs is minimal. Earlier LED bulbs were only used as indicators on electronics. But now you can find LED bulbs everywhere. Streetlamps, detail lighting, motor vehicles, signage being some of the examples. LEDs are also used for spotlighting, like in kitchens for lighting up the countertops, etc.
- The LED bulbs are highly energy-efficient and produce light, which is similar to natural light
- The LED bulbs are available in different colors, which provides an ambient environment
- It is believed that LED bulbs lose their natural color after usage
Be it vehicles, our homes, or offices; lighting is used everywhere. However, you can only benefit from lighting if you use the right type in the right place. Let’s say, if you need something more compact, you can go for LEDs or CFLs.
If you’re not aware of the different types of lighting, you may end up buying the wrong one. It will not only affect the ambiance but could cost you more as well. So, go through the info, if you haven’t already, and find the best lighting for you. Also, share this info with others if you like it.