A treadmill is the most popular exercise for a home gym that build cardiovascular stamina and muscular endurance. Make sure to start your workout at a slow speed and gradually increase the speed. To reduce boredom and enhance the fun in your exercise routine, you can change up the work-out by adjusting the speed, incline and time.
Here are some of the best treadmill workouts you can perform to stay fit, healthy and active. Have a look at them and follow them regularly.
Effective Treadmill Workout for Beginners:
A beginner treadmill workout is an introduction to exercise equipment that not only warms up your muscles but also help you to stay fit. In case, if you’re unsure on how to manage the incline and speed of the treadmill, then simply follow these tips that guide you properly.
- Walking – Most of the certified trainers suggest to go with easy to moderate pace begins with 2.5 to 3 mph to slowly build momentum. Then slightly increase the pace and duration of the workout from 15 – 20 minutes for beginners.
- Workout Duration – To maintain the pace, it is essential to go into your routine. For this, you have to know how long you intend to sweat. For instance, if you do a 5-minutes warmup, 5-minutes workout and 5-minutes cool down. Then push it a bit faster to make it a 30-minute treadmill workout.
- Three-Minute Test – Make sure to do this test to track your progress. Simply walk, jog, and run each for a minute (total 3 minutes). If you still feel comfortable and easily breathable then increase the speed by a few mph.
- Warm-Up & Stretch – Warm-up is essential for any physical exertion, especially while increasing the incline of a treadmill (mimics the feel of walking up a hill). Walk on a treadmill without the incline and perform hamstring stretch between warmup and inclined walk. This will prevent discomfort and enhance work effectiveness.
- Steadiness – Every beginner should have a slow and steady nature to avoid injury. Also, your body will need some time to adapt and acclimate to those workouts. So, beginner treadmill workout with a slight incline to start without putting much pressure.
- Avoid Running for a Long Time on Incline – It should be no longer than 5 minutes of incline at a time. Always remember the steeper the incline, the shorter will the time spend on it. For more clear information you can read our article – how to run properly on a treadmill.
Treadmill Workouts for Abs:
Doing workouts on a treadmill will not only limited to the legs or lower body but also target your core and abs. This workout is used to target the rectus abdominis and obliques (rib cage sides). Have a look at them and follow them regularly.
1. Side Stepper:
- It will emphasis more on the obliques (both inner and outer).
- Perform a warm-up of about 10-minute before starting the workout to make yourself get ready.
- Slightly raise 5% of incline and turn sideways. But make sure to take hold of the handrail to have a proper balance and safety.
- Now sidestep for 30 seconds and turn to other side to do the same.
- Turn back forward for 30 seconds of running.
- Repeat the same exercise on each side for 10 + times and complete it with walking to cool down your body.
2. Incline Sprints:
- Do a light warm-up jog for about 5-minutes with the deck.
- Set the incline all the way up on your treadmill and sprint hardly for 20 seconds. Squeeze your abs forcefully while doing this.
- Make sure to grab the handrails while lifting yourself and place the feet on side of the deck.
- Rest for 20 seconds and back to the moving belt to perform another 20-second sprint.
- Perform back and forth alternately for 10 – 12 times.
- Finish the workout with a light 5-minute cool down jog.
3. Sprint & Ab Holds:
- Start with a slight jogging for 5 – 10 minutes to warm-up.
- Increase the speed, incline to 3% and sprint for about 30 seconds.
- Then switch off the treadmill and grab handrails to lift the body from the deck.
- Engage the arms on handrails and try to raise the knees to your chest. Make sure to keep the body upright straight and legs together.
- Hold on for 20 seconds and then lower your back down. Now put your feet on deck sides.
- After resting for 10 seconds, turn on the treadmill and hop back on the deck for 30 seconds running.
- Continue doing the same for about 20 – 30 minutes and close the workout with a 5 minutes light jog to cool down your body.
Treadmill Exercises to Burn Fat and Lose Weight:
A treadmill is a popular aerobic exercise machine that helps you lose your extra weight by burning your calories or fat to make you stay fit and healthy. Here are a few basic workouts for weight loss.
1. High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT):
HIIT workouts are the best way to reduce body fat and burn calories in less time. Working hard for a short period and taking rest between high-intensity bursts of exercises, will burn more calories and aids in weight loss. Here is the process that explains HIIT workout on the treadmill.
- Walk on your treadmill for 5 minutes at 2 mph to warm-up.
- Start running with 9 – 10 mph for about 30 seconds.
- Walk for a minute at 3 – 4 mph.
- Repeat the same for about 5 – 10 times.
- Finally, cool down your body by walking for 5 minutes at 2 mph.
- To perform an advanced workout, alternate between sprinting and jogging. Adding more minutes to each set but make sure that rest intervals should be twice that of high-intensity intervals.
2. Fat-Burning Zone:
Exercising on a treadmill will aid in weight loss, as it burns more calories/minute. In general, the fat-burning zone is 70% of one’s maximum heart rate. So, 70% of 180 will be 126 beats/minute. So, one should work hard to lose weight and here’s the best way to perform.
- Place a heart rate monitor on the chest or wrist. Start your warm-up by walking for 5 minutes at 2 mph.
- Keep incline to 2% and jog for a minute at 4 mph.
- Run till you get into the fat-burning zone at 8 – 10 mph.
- Then run for about 15 – 30 minutes with this heart rate.
- Continue with a 1- minute Jogging at 4 mph and cool down yourself by walking for 5 minutes at 2 mph.
- However, the fat-burning zone depends on various factors and may differ for different people. So, let your trainer will help you to determine and set it for weight loss.
Or have a look at a 10-minute fat-burning treadmill workout.
|Time Duration (Total 10 minutes)||Speed (MPH)||Incline (%)|
|0 – 1||7.0||2.0|
|1 – 2.30||5||0.5|
|2.30 – 3.30||6.8||3|
|3.30 – 5||5||0.5|
|5 – 6||6.5||4|
|6 – 7.30||5||0.5|
|7.30 – 8.30||6||5|
|8.30 – 10||5||0.5|
3. Set a Different Routine:
Switch up the daily routine to avoid training plateau, reduce the risk of injury, and also, prevent boredom. Have a look at this workout plan by using treadmill with different workouts.
- Day 1 – Simple walk, jog and gentle yoga
- Day 2 – HIIT workout for about 20 – 30 minutes
- Day 3 – Light Jogging and strength training
- Day 4 – Leisurely walk and perform yoga.
- Day 5 – Walk and jog on treadmill and strength training.
- Day 6 – HIIT workout for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Day 7 – Bodyweight workouts
4. Exercise on Incline:
Adding hills will make the workout routine more interesting. Running or brisk walking at an incline will burn your calories, activate muscles and helps to lose weight.
- Warm-up yourself by walking on a flat treadmill for about 5 – 10 minutes at 2 mph.
- Keep incline to 1% and jog for a minute at 4 – 6 mph.
- Gradually raise the incline level by 1% each minute and repeat the same till it reaches 8 – 10% incline.
- Then reduce the incline by 1% each minute and continue it till you reach 0 – 1% incline.
- Finally, to cool down yourself, walk for 5 minutes at 2 mph on flat treadmill.
Note – In case, if you’re not sure on what type of treadmill workout suits perfect for you, then simply consult a certified personal trainer to let them create a customized treadmill weight loss workout.
Health Benefits of Treadmill:
A treadmill is a versatile cardio machine that provides a wide range of benefits. They help you to achieve a variety of fitness goals and suits best for both beginners and pro-runners. Below are a few health benefits of a treadmill.
- Weight Loss: A great way to lose weight by exercising on a treadmill. It helps to burn calories quickly than other forms of aerobic exercises. Fast running or HIIT workouts or low-intensity treadmill exercises will reduce the body fat quickly and safely.
- Heart Health: These are a popular form of cardio exercises that help to improve heart health. It is beneficial for user suffering from cardiovascular issues or high cholesterol. It elevates the heart rate to a healthy level while exercising on this treadmill.
- Muscle Tone: It provides lower body workout, as these exercises will engage the multiple muscle groups like leg muscles, abdomen, buttocks, arm muscles and back. Thus, it tones up the muscles during workouts.
- Controls blood sugar and increase HDL cholesterol levels.
- Strengthen your muscles and improve endurance.
- Relieves your stress and enhance better sleep.
- Promotes healthier skin.
How Long Should a Beginner Train on a Treadmill?
Although, it depends on the individual (as much as they can do) but experts suggest to start training at a slow pace for about 15 – 20 minutes. Then slowly increase the duration to 30 – 45 minutes over a few days.
A few Quick Routines for Fat Burning:
Have a look on the treadmill interval workout cheat sheets to grab fat burning benefits and keep your cardiovascular system to work properly. Do a warm-up and 5-minute jog to make your get ready to work.
Treadmill Workout with the Same Incline – Simply keep your incline at 0.5% to focus more on the long-running sections.
|Time (Total 10 Minutes)||Speed (MPH)|
|0 – 4||7.2|
|4 – 5||5|
|5 – 9||7.2|
|9 – 10||5|
Jog-Run Interval Treadmill Workout – In a 10-minutes workout routine, you can increase and reduce the speed (run/jog – 7.5/5 – 5.5 mph) with the same incline of 0.5%. For every 1 – 1 ½ minute, you can change the speed setting to burn more calories and fat.
Treadmill Interval Challenge Workout – Here two challenge minutes (1 minute & 2 minutes) will allow you to run at a high incline. This is an overall body workout that helps you stay healthy.
|Time Duration (Total 10 Minutes)||Speed (MPH)||Incline (%)|
|0 – 1||6.5||5.0|
|1 – 3||5.5||0.5|
|3 – 4||8.5||0.5|
|4 – 6||5.5||0.5|
|6 – 7||6.0||6.0|
|7 – 9||5.5||0.5|
|9 – 10||8.5||0.5|
A treadmill is undoubtedly a great option for burning calories, losing weight and cardiovascular health. Also, you can customize your workout plan as per your specification but make sure not to stress too much on your back, hip, knee and ankle joints.
Happy workout on your Treadmill.