The Best Ways To Convert Hard Water To Soft Water
In this troubling time of water shortage, knowing how to convert hard water into soft water can be really helpful.
If you are getting skin irritation after a shower, your clothes are looking dull and yellowish after washing them; you are most definitely using hard water which is the cause of all this trouble. Hard water is also not suitable for drinking.
There is nothing to worry about; you can easily convert hard water into soft water using a few easy procedures. If you want more details, check out our article below.
What Makes Water Hard?
High concentration of minerals like magnesium and calcium makes water hard and unusable for household works. There are various hard water tests that we will be discussing below.
If the water you are using in your home is classified as hard water, then you will have various issues. Not only will you experience hair fall, dandruff but also the hard water will cause too many troubles in plumbing functions.
Why Is It Necessary Converting Hard Water to Soft Water?
As we have discussed earlier, hard water’s concentration is not ideal for the human body, not good for the hair, and not for appliances.
Hard water can stain tiles and glass; the mineral buildup can clog pipes, reduces the lifespan of home appliances like geysers, washing machines etc. also cause permanent damage to the devices.
The high mineral concentration is the reason behind poor soap performance. The mineral residue makes your clothes look dull, causes hairfall, dandruff, dry and itchy skin. Now, the only way to prevent these is by turning hard water into soft water.
How Do You Know Your Water is Hard?
Before we discuss the procedure to convert water, you need to be absolutely sure about the hardness of the water. You should conduct a test to determine water hardness.
There are test kits available, but you can also do simple home tests to determine the type of water you are using.
1. Simple Home Test
This is a simple test. You will need a transparent bottle, liquid soap and of course, water. Fill the bottle with exact 360 ml of water and add 10 drops of liquid soap. Shake it for a long time to mix the soap and then leave it.
Observe it. If the mixture has created a generous amount of foam, then your water is soft. But if you still see drops of soap floating in three water, then the water is hard. Unfortunately, this text will let you determine if you are using hard or soft water. You won’t be able to determine the hardness of the water.
2. Water Test Strips
The easiest way to measure the hardness level of the water is by using water hardness test strips. These strips are easily available online. Get one and dip the strip into the water. Check the changed color of the strip and use the guideline that comes with the bottle to determine the hardness of the water.
3. Water hardness test kit
The best and accurate way to detect the hardness of water is by using a water hardness test kit. This type of kit comes with all the necessary accessories and tools to determine the hardness level of water.
These are ways to determine the hardness of water, and if you use the kit, you will be able to determine the level of water hardness. Depending on the result, you will be able to take action. But there are 2 types of hard water:
- Temporary hard water
- Permanent hard water
The temporary hard water here can be treated and converted with the necessary steps, but permanent hard water is tough to change. We have detailed a few methods below to turn temporary hard water to soft water easily, check them out.
How to Turn Hard Water to Soft Water?
1. By Ion-Exchange
This is the best and the most efficient way to convert hard water into soft, for the entire house. As the name suggests, it is an ion-exchange mechanism. The magnesium and calcium in hard water will be replaced by sodium minerals. Now, these mineral ions themselves will be used for removing the water hardness.
The water enters through a Resin tank (human-made/non-toxic). Resin is negatively charged, and minerals carry positive charge. When the water passes through the resin beads, magnesium and calcium is replaced with sodium and removes hardness from the water-salt ions.
2. Boiling the Water
Temporary hardness of water can be converted by boiling it. You have to boil the water, and after boiling it, you have to let it cool down for hours. The minerals present in the water will get solidified and be visible below. Just strain the water.
3. Uing Vinegar or Baking Soda
Baking Soda has an alkaline base, and on the other hand, Vinegar is acidic. You can use any one of them you convert hard water into soft water.
- You must find white vinegar purely distilled for this process.
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar for 3 cups water is enough.
Now, all these water changing procedures can’t be used for all your soft water needs. Like, you can’t boil water if you are going to use it on washing machines. So, in this article, we have categorized the need of converting hard water into soft water using different methods, but according to your requirements.
4. Soft Water for Kitchen
Hard water will destroy all the vessels you use for your food. So, it is necessary to use soft water for the kitchen.
- Boiling Water: It is one of the efficient ways to soften the water. Boil the water and let it cool down for hours. The minerals will setting at the bottom of the vessel and strain the water, and it will be converted into soft water.
- Permanent Solution: The water boiling method is good, but it is not practical. It is very time-consuming. So, attaching a hard water softener to the kitchen faucet is the best option. This gadget will make the water soft before releasing it.
5. Soft Water for the laundry
Hard water is harmful to clothes too. It makes them look yellowish and dull. Makes them brittle too. It also makes it difficult to use detergents for washing clothes.
- Hard Water Softener: This is another gadget for changing water. You have to attach it with the water inlet of the washing machine. The converter will convert the water before entering the washing machine. This works for a long time and will cost significantly lesser compared to using water conditioner liquids.
- Water conditioner: The water conditioner liquid works as a converter. It traps the water hardening agents and makes water soft instantly.So, get a water conditioner liquid. But make sure to get one that says non-precipitating.
- Use of backing Soda or Vinegar: You can add baking soda to the water to temporarily reduce the hardness of the water. Vinegar acts the same way.
6. Soft Water for Bathroom
If you shower with hard water, your skin will feel itchy as the minerals will get stuck to your skin. Shampooing is also not recommended as hard water will cause dandruff. But boiling water for the bathroom is not a suitable solution.
- Hard Water Softener on the Tap/Shower : As you have used a hard water softener in your kitchen faucet, you can use the same product in the shower to make the water soft. It is the easiest and most effective way to convert hard water into soft water.
7. Soft Water for drinking
All the methods of converting hard water into soft water we have discussed is not suitable for drinking. You have to use a more suitable solution, and the previous procedure will most definitely make hard water soft water, but all the impurities will stay, which can be injurious to health.
8. Use RO Filter
The most suitable and portable option is to use a RO filter. These types of filters are easily available, and they will also clean out all the impurities from the water.
Well, you have learned all there is to know about turning hard water into soft water. The conversion is simple, but you have to choose the solution that is affordable and most suitable for you.