A wet grinder is one of the most common and a very important kitchen appliance for not just the south Indians but a wide range of north Indian kitchens as well. It has become difficult to imagine a modern kitchen without a wet grinder. You must be having or thinking to get either one of the following two types of wet grinders.
- Table Top Wet Grinders
- Tilting Type Wet Grinders
A tabletop wet grinder is small and portable and a very common occurrence in most households. It has the drum fixed at the assembly so it cannot tilt forward and back but you can detach the drum and reassemble it. This type of wet grinder works best for quick grinds. As the name suggests, you can place it easily on a table or the kitchen counter.
The tilting type wet grinder, on the other hand, is also compact and occupies less space but the drum is non-detachable. But it can still tilt forward or backwards and is best for large scale batter needs.
A wet grinder, no matter what type you have, will trouble you when it comes to cleaning it. Love the dosas but hate to clean up later. Today, we will be discussing how you can clean, wash up and maintain your wet grinder with great ease and more effectiveness. Before we proceed, we would like to remind you that we have curated and created a great buying guide of the Best-wet grinders available in India. Be sure to check that out as well.
How to clean a wet grinder?
Cleaning a table top wet grinder is far easier than cleaning a tilting model. This is because of the tabletop unit’s drum is easily detachable whereas the tilting model’s drum is fixed to its assembly. But that does not mean that the tilt model is not cleanable. It may take some effort to clean up on the tilt model but it can be done.
Steps to clean a wet grinder:
Step 1: Before switching off the wet grinder, pour in some water in it and switch it on for a while. Hover a plate or a something to make sure that the water does not splash all around the kitchen area.
Step 2: Now unplug the appliance from the socket and then remove the holder stick
Step 3: Remove the drum from the wet grinder. Also, remove the roller stone’s assembly (if you can) to properly clean them.
For tilting type wet grinders, you cannot remove the drum. Hence you would be cleaning it with a damp cloth.
Step 4: Using a brush or a cloth, clean off the scrubs or smudge off all types of areas. Do not use damp cloth inside the grinder. Only use it for the drum and roller stones and external parts.
Step 5: If you can, thoroughly wash the stones and then wipe them off with a dry cloth
Step 6: Neatly wipe off the motor with a dry cloth. Make sure that there are no water droplets on it or slipping to it.
Step 7: If you can access the belt, make sure you are adding oil and lubricating it enough once every while
Step 8: Re-assemble the entire set up and go for a test run to check.
Using household materials for better cleaning of your wet grinder:
The following is a simple list of household items that you can use to clean your wet grinder in a better way. Here, we included specific methods to remove pungent smells, stubborn marks or to even get a shine to your wet grinder.
1. Using lemon peels to remove pungent smells:
Sometimes when you batter a specific combination of ingredients, your wet grinder will end up smelling and sometimes even pungent too. Lemon is the best solution to remove odours and even make the entire thing smell better.
All you need to do is to take a couple of lemons and squeeze out the juice from it. Now take the peels and rub it on the lid, inner parts and the drum of the appliance. You can also scrub it a little to remove any small or insignificant dirt particles that might have accumulated on it. Let it sit for about 15 minutes before washing it away with water. The drum can be detached and washed whereas the other parts can be wiped with a damp cloth and then with a dry cloth.
2. Removing stubborn smudges and caked up gunk with Baking Soda:
Baking soda is a brilliant cleaning agent. You can remove the solid gunk that refuses to go out on the roller stones using baking soda. All you need to do is take a bowl of baking soda, add some water to it till it is paste.
Apply this paste to the mixer and the rolling stones (and any area which has gunked up). Let this sit for about 15 minutes before you clean the container and the stones (detached) with water. This will not only remove the gunk and clean the container, but also removes any odours.
3. Vinegar for Stain removal:
When you use the appliance for a long time, there are certain stubborn stains that just won’t go away. Even with the baking soda method may not be helpful in removing these stains. In such cases, you can use a vinegar solution to remove them.
Add 2 tablespoons of vinegar to some water and then pour the solution into the grinder over the stones and along the drum. Turn it on for a few seconds so that it will be onto all the corners. Now rub off the insides with a damp cloth or take out the stones and drum to manually clean it with further water. After cleaning, wipe off the moisture with a dry cloth and re-insert it back onto the wet grinder.
Tips and important points to help you maintain your wet grinder:
Now let us look at some important tips and points that will help you maintain your wet grinder for a very long time and in a great condition.
- Before every use, make sure you wipe off or water-run the inside of the drum to prevent contamination of the new food being placed in it.
- The wet grinder should be dry when not in use. You can even pull out the drum and place it upside down when you are not using it.
- As the stone rollers accumulate dirt and debris, they may begin to smell. So to prevent that, make sure you remove the stone assembly and clean it after every use.
- Before you use the grinder, every time, try and manually rotate the stones on the roller slowly and gently to make sure that there is no interruption or friction.
- After every cleanup, make sure that the roller stones are properly fitted
- Do not run the wet grinder when there is nothing inside it. It will not only damage the roller stones but the empty load run will damage the motor as well.
- Do not dump in the ingredients all at once. Add them slowly and in smaller quantities. This will ground the batter evenly and will also help to increase the life of the wet grinder.
- Always place the tabletop and even the tilting wet grinder on an even platform. Wet grinders vibrate a lot while operating and when placed on uneven platforms, the motor gets overwhelmed often and would reduce its life span.
- Be generous in using water while you are grinding. Be it while wiping the stone in the middle of battering or just adding water to the batter. Not using enough water will cause to lower belt tension and thus damage your wet grinder.
- Lubricate the motor and the belt once in a while to ensure its longevity.
- While wet grinders come with good warranty, try and get additional or extended warranty from the brand (a few provide them) just to be insured.
- Go through the manual carefully as it will contain a lot of information that will eventually prove to be helpful.
- The motor and the rotary stones inside them are heavy and crushing in nature. Place the wet grinder high up or centre; whichever is far away from small children’s reach
- While the machine is running, make sure you are keeping your hands away from the drum. You can unlock the arm while the grinder is turned on.
- While you can most certainly carry out basic maintenance washes (refer to the manual for further instructions), DO NOT ATTEMPT complex or any sort of repairs for that matter. Always contact a professional technician or even the customer service support number for further help. By DIY repairs, you risk causing further damage to the machine or violate your warranty terms.
- Always buy and use parts from authorized vendors/dealers or directly buy from the brand for better compatibility.
Wrapping it up:
A wet grinder is a heavy appliance which requires a good amount of time and attention. If not, it will for sure get damaged. We hope that we covered almost everything that will help you maintain and clean your wet grinder.
If we missed out on any technique or if you have any questions regarding the maintenance or cleaning of the wet grinder ( or any grinder/mixer/ blender/ processor); feel free to write to us in the comments section below. Our team will respond to your queries and questions as soon as possible. Also, do not forget to check out our buying guide and list of the best-wet grinders in India.