Having the perfect wardrobe means no more clutter in your bedroom and an organized way to maintain your clean clothes.
Purchasing a wardrobe is a long term investment. So, you have to consider certain factors to make sure you are purchasing the right one that suits your requirements.
- Type – Wardrobes are available in different variants that include single door, double door, multi-door, sliding and open frame. You have to choose the wardrobe, based on your clothing range, area you can accommodate and preference.
- Material – Common materials used for building wardrobes include MDF board, metal, plastic and plywood. Each material has its own perks and drawbacks. If you want waterproof options, then you have to go with metal or plastic. For modern look, you can choose plywood or MDF board wardrobes.
Along with these two important factors, there are several others you have to consider. We have mentioned them clearly in our Buying Guide. A list of Best Wardrobes in India is also provided for your reference.
Best Wardrobes in India
H X L X D(Cm)
|Deckup Cove 2-Door Wardrobe With Mirror||2||Engineered||180 X 61 X 43||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Wakefit Tartan Wardrobe||2||Engineered||181 X 80 X 47||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Amazon Brand Wardrobe||4||Engineered Wood||192 X 158 X 150.5||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Godrej Wardrobe||2||Stainless steel||195 X 135 X 50||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|DeckUp Wardrobe||3||Engineered||182 X 119 X 45||CHECK ON AMAZON|
List of the Top Wardrobes in India
Yet another 2 door wardrobe with a mirror, the Decup mirror wardrobe is made out of engineered low density fibreboard.
Coming to the size of the product, it is at a 71 inches height, 24 inches length and a depth of 17 inches. Given the light in weight nature and the DIY structure, it is perfect for bachelors or spinsters who are looking for a temporary solution for their rooms.
With a dark wenge colour and a matte finish, this contemporary styled would easily add a great deal of decorum to your room.
The engineered wood laminate has a somewhat thin back laminate and needs to be handled with care. The mirror easily serves as a makeshift dressing table too.
One can easily go ahead and assemble the device as the product when delivered is given the DIY instruction manual.
- Light in weight and easy to move around
- Small and easy enough to fit around any room
- Dark Wenge colour and matte finish give it a good visual appeal
- Has a mirror
- LDR Engineered wood quality is low.
- DIY is not that easy and you may need the help of a carpenter
Wakefit is a local Indian company offering complete home and office solutions.
Wakefit’s tartan two-door wardrobe with drawer is our next best product that comes with five shelves and an elegant matte finish.
As it uses engineered wood with tartan stripes and has a brown color, it has a good appeal and matches well with any interiors.
It has a rectangular shape with dimensions of height – 71.5 inches, length – 31.5 inches, and width – 18.6 inches. This height gives sufficient space to place your clothes, papers, or other stuff. You can neatly organize the clothes without any space complaints.
Moreover, it has a hanging rod for clothes with a hanging depth of 16.5 inches (41.9cm). Apart from this specific arrangement for clothes, it also has a 5-inch drawer with a lock. So, it is a wardrobe with a complete safety and security solution.
The manufacturer delivers this wardrobe as an unassembled unit. However, there is a free installation service by an experienced carpenter at the time of delivery. Moreover, you need not worry about any manufacturing defects as it comes with a one-year warranty period.
- Good quality wood
- Looks neat in your living room or bedroom
- 2-door wardrobe sufficient for a small family
- Huge storage capacity
- Strong and sturdy; it does not tilt.
- The customer service is good. It offers a free installation service during the delivery time, and it also provides affordable charged services when shifting the house within the city limits.
- The price is reasonable.
- Value for money
- One-year warranty
- The installation service could have been better.
Solimo, an Amazon brand, offers good reliable products for home, kitchen, personal care, and many more. Its home wardrobe specials are attractive, efficient, and durable.
Here comes its espresso-colored 4-door wardrobe made of engineered wood. It has European standard particleboard of 15mm thickness that enhances its durability and long life.
This wardrobe syncs well with any room decor by its modernized style, elegant finish, and timeless design. With dimensions of 192*158*50.5 (H*L*W) cms, there is ample space to keep the clothes of your entire family.
As it has four slab-type doors, it is hassle-free to use. Moreover, the wardrobe is also free from burrs and sharp edges, and so there will not be any scrapes and scratches. So, it is better to use even in families with small children. But, be careful of your kids and avoid them hanging over the shelves or doors.
This Solimo’s product is not only for good organization and space-saving. It is also safe and durable; it is resistant to humidity and stains as it uses harmless and lead-free chemicals.
Still, simply wipe it with a cloth to maintain its elegant finish. However, it is delivered only after it finishes 20+ safety and quality tests.
The wardrobe does not come with complete assembly, and you will have a free installation service by a carpenter. However, once installed, ensure that you do not push, drag, or move it over without dismantling it. Also, place the heavier items on the lower shelves or drawers and avoid opening more than one drawer at a time.
It is quite interesting to prefer this wardrobe as the manufacturer provides three years of warranty services.
- Engineered wood wardrobe
- Standard capacity
- Safe from humidity and stains
- Locker facility available
- Attached non-movable cupboards
- Even customized services are available
- Three years of warranty services
- Lock systems and the back of the wardrobe (5 to 6mm) seem to be delicate.
- Installation services could have been better.
- No mirror
For ages, Godrej Interio has had a remarkable place among Indian consumers. It is well-known for its excellence, design, manufacturing, and retail services with premium products for home and office furniture.
This Godrej Interio’s slimline two-door wardrobe or almirah is preferable for those who wish to have one with greater longevity. Unlike the wooden ones, this model is of mild and durable CRCA stainless steel to assure durability and strength.
Its textured purple color matches your modern living and bedrooms. With dimensions of 195*134.9*50.7 cms and a sleek design, it easily fits anywhere.
Coming to its internal space – it has multiple shelving units to place and organize anything in a tidy manner. Its internal structure has a special design with six adjustable shelves, and you can categorize and divide various types of items in different spaces available.
In fact, it is also safe and secure to use this branded steel slimline model as it has better-secured lock systems. Moreover, it maintains a healthy environment with green-guard technology as its indoor spaces have strict limits for chemical emissions.
In a nutshell, this slimline wardrobe is strong, durable, elegant, and safe; and so there are no other chances to miss it. Also, you need minimum maintenance by just wiping it with a damp cloth. So, it is a hassle-free and effortless option to organize everything like clothes, books, files, and stationery items at home or office. So, you can trustfully choose this branded product that comes with a one-year warranty period.
- As it is a stainless steel wardrobe, it is sturdy and durable.
- It has a contemporary and modern style.
- The slimline model is a perfect blend of form and function.
- Ergonomic handle for better grip
- Spacious almirah
- Its indoor spaces have healthy and chemical-free elements.
- It has high-security features.
- It is available with and without a mirror.
- The handle could have been better.
- It is a bit expensive.
If you need more space to arrange things clutter-free, you have to go for this three-door wardrobe. It comes from Deck-up, a local Indian brand with good customer reviews.
It has dimensions of – 47 inches – length, 18 inches – width, and 72 inches – height. So, you can imagine the sufficient space provided indoors. It is a contemporary wardrobe model that suits well for your classic and stylish rooms and offices. It’s dark wenge color and matte finish are so pleasing and elegant to give an aesthetic appeal anywhere.
This Deck-up wardrobe has a large hanging space, wide compartments, and a special locking mechanism ensuring well-organized space, shelves, safety, and security. Also, the three doors have a wider opening facility, and so you can easily open them and arrange your things without any difficulty.
As it uses engineered wood, you need not worry about its structural strength. It has a flat weighted base that gives it better stability and also prevents it from wobbling.
However, you will get this wardrobe in an unarranged way, and you have to assemble it with a Do-it-Yourself instruction list. Yet, it is so easy to do by yourself, or else you can also take the help of a professional carpenter from Amazon or the company. It comes with a one-year warranty service period, and so you need not bother about any manufacturing defects.
- Contemporary design
- More space with interior shelves
- Three widely openable doors
- Strong and durable
- Elegant matte finish
- One-year warranty
- No jewelry locker or drawer
- Not sure if the racks are adjustable.
- There were complaints about its durability.
- The assembly service was not satisfactory.
How to Choose the Best Wardrobe?
Wardrobe is the place where you keep your stuff and organize your clothes. So, it is an important piece of furniture is almost every house. But purchasing a wardrobe is not a small investment. If you want to choose the right one that satisfies your requirements, then we recommend considering the below buying guide. It has all the information required to make the right decision.
1. Type of Wardrobe
This is the first factor to consider while purchasing a wardrobe. You have to analyze this factor based on the storage you require and space you can accommodate for it. Wardrobes are available in different variations that include – single door, double door, triple door, multi-door, sliding door and open wardrobe.
Single Door Wardrobe
They are suitable for tiny bedrooms but they have the capacity to handle clothing requirements of a single person. They are usually preferred by bachelors, dorm rooms, child’s or guest bedroom. Single Door Wardrobes are the most economic both in terms of design and pricing. Furthermore, given the monodoor style, they consume very little space too.
Double Door Wardrobe
double door wardrobes are a very common sight in the Indian middle class households. With more space compared to a single door wardrobe, these popular sized wardrobes easily fit in any average sized or even small sized bedrooms.
Most miniature double sized would be about 6 feet high and 4 feet long but this is not the standard size for all. They have more drawers, coat hang places and sometimes either 1 or even 2 mirrors on the doors thus doubling as a dressing table too. Modern models even have extra drawers in the bottom facing outside too.
Triple Door Wardrobes
Triple door wardrobes are suitable for couples. They have enough space to keep clothes of 2 or 3 people based on their clothing collection. But they are suitable for people who have large bedrooms or enough space to place them. They come with several storage combinations that include placing jewelry, shoes, dresser and others.
These are perfect for people who have a large clothing collection or families with 4 members or more. They come with several storage segments suitable for placing jewelry, shoes, bags, clothes, bedsheets and others. Sometimes multi-door wardrobes are also ideal for couples to place most of their belongings in a single place. And most of these even come with a dressing table in the between too.
Sliding Door Wardrobe
As the name implies, a sliding door wardrobe is a contemporary styled wardrobe which offers you doors that slide instead of open outwards. Sliding door wardrobes are easier to access and have larger storage spaces than conventional wardrobes. They are ideal for bedrooms but given the sliding nature of the doors, they do not have a lock option and the ones. As they have sliding doors, they don’t take much floor space. So, they are suitable for rooms that have less space.
Open Frame Doorless Wardrobe
It is a frame stand lets you create a display for storing clothes. It is collapsible and movable, so you can carry it around when you are moving to a new house. They are mostly suitable for people who live in rented houses or hostels.
Material of the wardrobe is very important. You have to choose the material based on your preference and room interiors. Apart from that, you should make sure the material you choose is durable and long lasting. Below, we have mentioned common materials used for building wardrobe.
- MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) – It is also referred as engineered wood material (wood made by pressing hardwood particles). This material is cheaper and has smooth finish. However, if water falls on it, they can get soggy and be damaged. Also, they are prone to termite infestation.
- Plywood – Plywood is also made out of engineered wood but it is much more strong and durable. Given quality of the wood being used, plywood is generally very costly and do not have the smooth finishing as the other type of particle boards.
- Metal – It is the most contemporary style of wardrobe which are pretty common in Indian households. Metal is formidable and it is strong. They can withstand any type of damage and with proper care and anti-tarnish/anti rush paintings from time to time, a meta wardrobe will last with you for a very long period of time.
- Plastic – Recently, some manufacturers are providing plastic wardrobes. This material is strong and durable. Plastic wardrobes are easy to assemble and disassemble. They are suitable for people who live in rented flats.
Wardrobes are available in two different styles/designs that include contemporary and modern.
- Contemporary – These are the typical outdoor wardrobes with limited shelves or sometimes, a hangar space as specified and used by many generations before. They are either made out of wood or metal are have internal lockers too (made out of the same material as the wardrobe).
- Modern – Modern wardrobes are more design and style statement driven. They come with the most minimalistic designs and at the same time try to minimize wastage involved., High tech wardrobes have separate spaces to install safes inside the wardrobes.
Though it looks like a simple question, it is very important factor to consider before purchasing the wardrobe. You have to analyze this factor based on your requirements and where you are going to place it. For that, first you have to measure the height, width and depth of the area where you are going to place the wardrobe. Based on these measurements, you can choose the wardrobe that is suitable.
5. Ease of Use
Some wardrobes are ergonomic while others are not. So, it is important to choose the wardrobe that is easy to use and provides the required comfortability.
Wardrobes are bulky piece of furniture. Sometimes, they come in easy to assemble state while others need professional help. Some wardrobes can be disassembled and again assembled whenever necessary while others are permanently fixed. So, choose the right one based on your preference.
Last but no least factor is the price you have to pay for purchasing the wardrobe. They are available for a varied price range from Rs. 2000 to Rs. 30000. Based on your requirements, you can choose any one. But remember that wardrobe is long term investment.
Tips to Maintain Wardrobe to Increase its Durability
- Don’t place the wardrobe under direct sunlight as it can affect the color of wood.
- For cleaning, use damp cloth and let it air dry completely before placing the clothes.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners as they can damage the surface.
- Clothes in Plywood or engineered wood wardrobes can be easily eaten or bitten through by moths. Hence make sure that expensive clothes are sealed off neatly
- Place mothballs in order to repel any bugs that have the potential to destroy your clothes
- If you are buying a metal wardrobe, get it properly painted at least once every 2 years or so in order to prevent it from getting rusted.
- For MDF wardrobes, try keeping them away from any kind of moisture as the wood material can easily be damaged by moisture.
- Metal wardrobes may have sharp edges so make sure that they are not placed in the passways and also not by the walls. Ideal placement of these wardrobes is the corner of the room
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can. Hinges of the wardrobe can be loosened or tightened for moving the doors farther or closer together. For that, you have to turn the hinges in clockwise direction for moving the doors towards the frame.
This wardrobe option lets you see all your clothes at once. They are suitable for anyone who wants to make out-fit decision pretty quickly. If you have a very big clothing collection, then this is the right choice.
For that, you have to grab a tape and measure the area of your bedroom where you are going to place wardrobe (length, width and depth). Don’t forget to provide the clearance along the sides, at the top for easy maneuvering. As sliding doors don’t open, they are space savvy so you don’t have to worry about the clearance opening doors. But if you are going for a wardrobe with opening doors or drawers, then you have to consider the floor space as well.
Usually, sliding doors overlap over 75% which provides enough room to see your clothes without any worries.
Most of the mirrored wardrobes come with sliding doors. So, they can be tightened or tweaked to maintain them in place.
If you don’t consider the price factor, plywood based wardrobes tend to have higher durability and life than typical MDF and lDF material wardrobes. It is always suggested to pick a good plywood because when it comes to plywood, their quality is also questionable if taken from the wrong manufacturer.
Sliding doors offer better and easier access to the internals of the wardrobes than a hinged/ pull out doors. These are smooth to access and often come in lightweight version of the wardrobe. But sliding door wardrobes fail in the area of security as it is not so hard to open a locked sliding door wardrobe.
Yes, they do. Most of the wardrobes come with key locks to its door sections and drawer sections. But this option is not available for sliding doors.
If price is not an option to be considered, plywood based wardrobes tend to have higher durability and life than typical MDF and lDF material wardrobes. It is always suggested to pick a good plywood because when it comes to plywood, their quality is also questionable if taken from the wrong manufacturer.
Sliding doors offer better and easier access to the internals of the wardrobes than a hinged/ pull out doors. These are smooth to access and often come in lightweight version of the wardrobe.
But sliding door wardrobes fail in the area of security as it is not so hard to open a locked sliding door wardrobe.
Not much and not little too. The width of both the doors has to be same and the gap between them has to be about that of an inch in order for them to move and slide smoothly.
With 2 doors and its Brown Colour in a neat matte finish, the Wakefit Door Wardrobe is made out of high quality durable plywood and comes with free installation and also tops our list of the best wardrobes/almirah in India.
While that was our list, we are keen on knowing your top picks. That and if you happen to have any queries regarding wardrobes, their build material or anything as such, be sure to write to us in the comments below, our team of experts will get right back to you as soon as possible.