When it comes to new moms, breast feeding can be quite challenging. There are several things to consider while breast feeding like – getting the baby into correct position and supporting the baby weight until the feeding completes.
Without proper support, breastfeeding mothers can suffer from pains in the shoulders, neck and back. A nursing pillow is helpful in preventing this time and make breast feeding less exhausting.
While purchasing a nursing pillow you have to consider several factors like its shape, quality, comfort, and many others. A wrong choice doesn’t provide enough comfort or support and also waste of money.
If you are wondering how to select the right feeding pillow, then read our “Buying Guide“. It contains all the information required for analyzing a product. If you haven’t got much time, then select any product listed in our table of Top 7 Nursing Pillows in India.
We have chosen them after careful analysis, testing and reviewing the experience of mothers who are using them. A clear and detailed description of these products is also provided below the table.
Top 7 Nursing/Feeding Pillows in India 2020
|Nursing Pillows||Item Weight||Product Dimensions||Buy Now|
|Kardyl Kroft Baby Feeding Pillow||499 grams||10 x 7 x 5 cm||Check the Price|
|MomToBe Blue Feeding Pillow||800 grams||25 x 25 x 17.5 cm||Check the Price|
|Coozly Baby Feeding Pillow||1.5 kg||63.5 x 58.4 x 15.24 cm||Check the Price|
|Lulamom Baby Feeding Pillow||900grams||58.4 x 48.3 x 15.2 cm||Check the Price|
|Nina Adjustable Fit Feeding Pillow||531 grams||54.9 x 37.8 x 15 cm||Check the Price|
|Bottom Genius Baby Feeding Pillow||989 grams||12 x 10 x 7 cm||Check the Price|
|Hoopa Hoopa Feeding pillow||227 grams||61 x 27.9 x 15.2 cm||Check the Price|
Best Feeding Pillow in India
First product on our list is from Kardyl Kroft – though this is a local Indian brand, the quality, features and comfort provided by its products is nothing less compared to top baby gear brands.
One of the amazing benefits of this products is – it can be used in 5 different types. You can use this product as feeding pillow until the baby age is 0 – 6 months. Once the baby start moving or turning, the curve of this product can be used for back support. After feeding, you can place the place on the product’s stomach for some tummy time. To make burping easy, you can simply strap the baby hoop belt to support baby’s bottom. And finally, it can also be used while baby is playing as a support.
High quality hypoallergenic microfiber is used in this product to provide gentle firmness and enough support to the baby. This product is specially designed to rest on the lap and gently clasp while breast feeding. Unlike some nursing pillows, this product also provides good arm support to mothers.
It comes with a detachable cover which is allergen free and very gentle on baby’s skin. This detachable cover can be hand washed or machine washed for hygienic purposes. This product can be used from 0 to 4 years of age and even longer as an armrest cushion.
What We Loved:
- 5 different uses
- Detachable cover
- High quality microfiber foam
- Simple and easy to use
- Can be used from 0 to 4 years of age
- Good arm support
- Suitable for mothers who had undergone c-section delivery
- 10-days replacement guarantee by Amazon
- Available in different colors
What We Hated:
- A bit expensive
- No warranty
MomToBe is a popular baby gear brand in India that aims to provide quality maternity products for expecting and new mothers. This product has taken second place in our list because of its exceptional comfort and support. However, it can only be used until the baby reaches 9 months.
Made with ultra-soft and HD foam and 100% cotton fabric, this pillow ensures a firm yet comfortable support for the baby during feeding. The silent-release strap is adjustable and helps to unlatch your baby noiselessly while asleep. A secure Velcro around the waist helps to maintain the right posture while nursing your baby.
This pillow has a gently undulating surface to lightly massage your baby’s back, promoting healthy blood circulation. A conveniently positioned pocket helps to keep essential accessories within easy reach. The pillow has a removable, zippered slipcover that is machine washable. The pillow itself is washable too, though it needs to be washed by hand.
The ergonomic encircling or wraparound design of this MomToBe feeding pillow is comfortably padded to make sure the mother experiences no tension in muscles of the shoulders, arms or back. It can also be rotated at different angles depending on what nursing position suits you and your baby best.
Padded arm rests, elbow rests and a cushioned back support are additional features that could make this long-lasting pillow a good purchase. The pillow is available in more than 10 different bright colors and prints – from red teddy prints to blue animal prints and pink love prints.
What We Loved:
- Made with ultra-soft & HD foam, 100% cotton fabric
- Silent-release adjustable strap & secure Velcro around waist
- Machine washable removable zippered slipcover
- Undulating pillow surface to promote baby’s blood circulation
- Additional pocket for necessary accessories while nursing
- Ergonomic wraparound cushioned design
- Available in more than 10 bright colors
Things We Hate
- Pillow washable but only hand wash
The Coozly brand is another local Indian brand known for quality and durability. The baby nursing pillow from this brand not only helps in breast feeding but also comes in handy for other things like burping the baby, back support while playing and others.
For a growing baby that starts turning on its back, this pillow is a good option to strap the baby securely in with comfortable back support. Also, the baby can be placed on the stomach after feeding on the pillow itself for some much-needed tummy time before she falls asleep.
Soft, fine fibers and 100% cotton fabrics that breathe are used for making this product. A useful baby hoop belt provided with the pillow can be used to strap in your infant with adequate bottom support. This helps in making babies burp or simply play in, usually at around 9 months of age.
It doesn’t even need a belt around the waist and is self-adjusting. This Coozly 5-in-1 Baby Feeding Pillow is available in 3 different colors –navy, cyan and maroon. It comes in two different color, so you can choose anyone based on your preference.
What We Loved:
- Suitable for 0 to 4-year-old babies
- 5-in-1 uses – feeding, strapping, tummy time, burping, playing
- Useful baby hoop belt with bottom support
- Hypoallergenic & made of medium reflexive ‘terra firma fibers’
- Self-adjusting, no waist belt required
- Additional pillow cover included with the product
What We Hate:
- Relatively bulky
Lulamom is another famous brand for baby gear product in India. Among their wide product range, nursing pillows are most popular and purchased product, because of its quality and comfort.
This product is specially designed to meet the needs of both baby and mother. A firm and padded cushion also keeps the baby secure and comfortable while nursing and prevents the baby from rolling away.
As the material used for pillow case is soft and smooth, it will protect baby’s skin from irritation and also prevent any allergies from developing. This multi-purpose nursing pillow is helpful for mothers in breastfeeding, bottle feeding, propping and others.
Being light in weight, it is perfect for home purpose and convenient for travel as well. This product is neither too big or too small which makes it more comfortable for both mother and baby. It can be machine washed for hygienic purposes.
What We Loved:
- Provides great comfort during lactation
- Soft and smooth material
- Doesn’t cause any skin irritation to baby
- Multi-purpose use
- Great for home and travel use
- Comfortable for both mother and baby
- 100% washable
What We Hate:
- No additional side pockets
Nina Feeding Pillow is a perfect choice for those who are looking to buy a soft and comfortable feeding pillow that can support different nursing positions.
Its wrap around design snugly fits the waist of the breastfeeding mother and the pillow can be rotated depending on what nursing position suits mother and baby best. A silent release clasp helps in not waking up the baby after feeding. The strap is secure and adjustable, suited to fit most body types.
The arm, elbow and back rests are conveniently positioned to ensure maximum support for the mother during feeding. This prevents the occurrence of a sore back and neck and helps keep the baby comfortably latched on.
Specially recommended for mothers with back aches or C-sections, this feeding pillow comes with a removable and washable cloth cover for hassle-free cleaning. The pillow offers such good support that the baby need not be held during feeding.
What We Love:
- Snug wrap around design
- Pillow can be rotated for different nursing positions
- Silent release clasp
- Secure & adjustable strap
- Convenient arm, elbow & back rests for support
- Removable & washable cloth cover
- Specially recommended for C-section mothers
What We Hate:
- Foam quality could be better
- No Velcro lock
Bottom Genius is a local Indian brand – however its quality and durability has gained consumers and appreciation across the country. This C-shaped nursing pillow has enough comfort and support to help mothers feed the baby happily without any pain or backache.
This nursing pillow is made to fit all sizes and shapes. And it is also perfect for mother who had undergone c-section delivery. This product can be used for babies from 0 – 3 years of age. Once the baby starts moving or turning, this pillow can be used for back support or burping.
A firm and smooth cushion also keeps the baby secure and comfortable while nursing and prevents the baby from rolling away. It comes with removable slip cover which can be hand or machine washed for hygiene purposes.
What We Love:
- Beautiful color and textures
- Soft and comfortable
- Can be used up to 3 years of age
- One size fits all
- Good support for long feeding sections
What We Hate:
- A bit heavy to place on the lap
Unlike any other product in this list, this last nursing pillow is completely different. Hoopa Hoppa pillow acts in two different ways – infant baby carrier and nursing pillow.
This pillow has ergonomically designed contours which provide best position for feeding and burping a newborn baby. Apart from that, it also helps to carry a newborn (who cannot still hold their neck) safely without much effort on your arms.
Hoopa Hoopa feeding pillow is tested and certified by InterTek Laboratory for meeting the standards of US Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA). It is one of the safest and simplest way to lift, hold and carry new born baby while eliminating all the risks and jerks.
What We Love:
- Ergonomically designed
- Tested and certified
- Suitable for up to 4 months
- Reducing stress on arms and back
- Simple and easy way to carry a newborn
What We Hate:
- Cannot be used after 4 months of baby’s age
- Heavy to carry around
Things to Look for While Choosing a Nursing/Feeding Pillow
The market is filled with several choices when it comes to nursing pillows. They vary depending on their size, brand, quality, filling and other factors. If you haven’t got much knowledge on how to choose or how to analyze a product, then the information we provided below helps you. Make sure to read them carefully to make an informed decision.
1. Different Shapes of Nursing Pillows
When it comes to feeding pillows, there are several types which are categorized based on shapes. Each of these pillows have their own benefits and drawbacks. We have mentioned a detailed information to make it easy for you for making a choice.
- Crescent Roll – The shape of the pillow is similar to crescent moon. It sits in front of the body with less to no wrapping. It wraps only single side of your body. It provides extra support, especially in the middle part of the pillow where baby’s head rests. However, this type of feeding pillow doesn’t fit well with smaller women as the sides tend to bump up against the back of chair or sofa.
- O-Shaped – These pillows wrap around the entire body just like the letter ‘O’. It comes with cushioned back support and adjustable waist-belt for snug fit. This pillow may not fit all sizes of women equally.
- C-Shaped – These the traditional nursing pillows with plush, firm sides for newborns and soft and cushy side for older babies. It also comes with adjustable belt however it doesn’t have any lower back support. It also gets adapted to most of the body types and also provides arm support while breastfeeding.
- Arm Pillow – This pillow slides onto your forearm. This one works well for women who had undergone c-section as it doesn’t contain weight. It suits everyone with different sizes and shapes as it doesn’t wrap around the waist. However, this pillows can make your arm sweaty.
- Other types of pillows – There are several other types of feeding pillows that are introduced into the market recently. Some of them stay flat on your lap without any wrapping involved. Some of them have adjustable straps as well which help to obtain a comfortable position.
2. Filling Material
The overall quality, experience and feel of a nursing pillow depends on the filling material. Several different types of materials are available in the market that are used as a filling. We have provided a clear insight about these types below…
- Foam Rubber/Sintepon: A type of non-woven fabric that is used as a synthetic filler, sintepon and foam rubber fillers are the cheapest but do not naturally compress and spring, making the pillow uncomfortable.
- Buckwheat Husk: Natural, safe and moulds to the shape of head and neck. But not washable and creates an unpleasant noise which may disturb the baby.
- Hollofayber: Light, warm and breathable, this synthetic polyester filler is quite economical but loses its form and elasticity easily.
- Feather/Wool: Were used in the earliest pillows but may cause unwanted allergies in the baby. Also, not washable hence not very suitable for long-term usage.
- Polystyrene Balls: Soft, light, airy, elastic and comfortable. Contours according to the shape of the baby’s body and has orthopaedic properties that provide extra comfort.
Wherever you are nursing your baby, you need to sit upright and position your baby’s head and body at the correct height reaching up to your breast. Depending on the size of your torso along with your waist size, you need to opt for a pillow which gives you just the right fit and stays in place. For this, it is advisable to try on different pillows at a store before ordering the one you find comfortable online. Ideally, the pillow should not feel too tight or too wobbly around your waist while sitting.
4. Frequency of Nursing
This varies from individual to individual, depending on how many months old the baby is. It also changes as the baby grows from a newborn to older, sprouts teeth and the like. If you’re planning to gradually transition your baby to solid foods, the durability of the pillow might not matter much. However, for newborns, it is recommended to opt for a relatively good albeit expensive pillow if it offers you better comfort with longer durations of use.
5. The Correct Mix of Firmness & Softness
Though most of the nursing pillows available in the market today are adequately padded, it is important to ensure the one you choose contains the right mix of firmness as well as softness for your baby. A newborn feeds best when she lies with her neck straight on a firm yet padded pillow. If the pillow is too soft, the cushioning may make your baby sink lower, which can make it difficult for her to latch on to the breast. Similarly, a pillow that is too hard may not provide the required comfort to your baby.
6. Adjustable Belt/Strap with Support Padding
If you have a newborn, it is likely that you may be feeding her almost a dozen times a day. Hence, it is essential to buy a nursing pillow which has an adjustable belt or strap with a buckle, for ease of use. Also, certain feeding pillows come equipped with a silent release feature that is noiseless and does not wake the baby up while unlatching. In addition to this, support padding for armrests and a comfortable back rest prevents aches and pains to the breastfeeding mother even with prolonged usage.
A good number of nursing pillows today come with a removable and machine washable fabric cover. This makes it very convenient for the purpose of cleaning. An extra pillow cover provided could be an added bonus.
8. Shape Retention
Actually, a feeding pillow should at least last for 6 months of nursing. After 6 months, babies can fully support themselves. Some pillows look lumpy, flat and misshapen after couple of months while some of them look brand new even after 6 months of use. So, make sure to purchase a high quality feeding pillow that can retain its shape even after washing it.
Mothers have color preferences that you want to match according the nursing room. That is why manufacturers have been providing feeding pillows in several colors and textures. So, take some time and decide carefully.
Cost is always the most important deciding factor when you purchase a product. Actually, bringing a baby into this world and the initial few months of baby’s arrival comes takes a lot of money. So, it is obvious that purchasing a feeding pillow will have a tight budget as well. Fortunately, feeding pillows are available in several price ranges. Take your time before purchasing the product.
How to Use a Feeding or Nursing Pillow?
Using a feeding pillow is very simple and comfortable. However, it depends your sitting position while breast feeding. For more clarity, we are providing some ways and tips to consider while using a feeding pillow.
- Nursing pillows are perfect for mothers who had C-section delivery. It helps to reduce the strain caused by holding the baby.
- It is better to sit on a chair with child sitting in your mother’s lap while breastfeeding. Position the nursing pillow in such a way that baby’s neck and head get enough support. This position not only supports your child but also provides comfortable seating to the mother.
- If you are feeding baby on your side position while holding the new born under arm, then nursing pillow makes the positioning comfortably.
- If you want to feed your baby when they are lying on back, then your body itself becomes a nursing pillow. So, you don’t need any supporting pillows.
- If you want to bottle feed your baby, then a nursing pillow helps to support the baby while feeding.
Advantages of Feeding Pillow
Based on the features, a nursing pillow serves different purposes which provide several benefits to mothers and newborns as well. Before making the purchase, it is better to understand the benefits clearly. Below, we have mentioned some benefits of a nursing pillow…
- This pillow helps you bold the baby properly and securely while feeding.
- It takes off the tension and stress on the back, arms, hands and shoulders from the mother while feeding. Breast feeding takes a lot of time and you have to do it multiple times in a day which can be exhausting for the new mothers. Nursing pillows can be a way to relax those arms and body.
- With the help of a feeding pillow, breast feeding mom can shift her arms to required degrees easily without disturbing the child.
- It helps the nursing mom to feed both twins at a time or hold any other items while breastfeeding without requiring any other’s help.
- A nursing pillow also provides convenience of breast feeding, especially during travels.
- It provides enough support to your baby for keeping his/her neck, back and head positioned perfectly to the mother’s nipple.
Disadvantages of Feeding Pillow
The disadvantages of using a nursing pillow is that – it takes a lot of space if you are not using it. And though they are light in weight, nursing pillows take a lot of space which is a bit troubling while travelling.
Some Frequently Asked Questions?
Well, it’s definitely depends on the person whether it is beneficial or not. Some mothers experience tremendous back pain due to long and regular feeding sessions. A feeding pillow will take off the baby weight and provide a comfortable position for you to feed. Instead of a feeding pillow, you can just use a normal pillow while breastfeeding. However, the special design and structure make it comfortable to use feeding pillow, especially during the initial months. Even if you are not planning to breast feed, it can still make bottle feeding comfortable.
You will use a feeding pillow whenever you breast feed your new born baby – which can probably be more than a dozen times. However, once your baby reaches 4 – 6 months of age, they will be able to hold their neck and head without support. Then nursing pillow may not be no longer needed. In that case, you can use it as a support who cannot yet sit up on their own.
It’s definitely no. According to American Academy of Pediatrics, pillows (of any kind) should not be used. Because if they accidently roll, pillows can cause suffocation which is completely dangerous.
A nursing pillow is completely different from normal pillows. Conventional or normal ones usually allow the baby to sink quickly so it is doesn’t add much support to you or your baby. However, a nursing pillow has to be round enough to snuggle against your abs. The high quality foam cushion is firm enough to hold the weight and position of the baby while breast feeding.
Mostly the materials used for making baby feeding pillows are cotton and polyesters. These both materials are soft, durable and safe to the baby’s delicate skin.
It is not recommended to wash baby feeding pillow. However, every pillow comes with a removable and washable cover. It can be either hand-washed or machine washed for hygienic conditions. If you still want to clean the pillows, then we recommend to sponge clean them or gently hand wash. And make sure to dry them under sun completely before using them
Nope. Not all nursing pillows are a fit all size. However, they are adjustable so it provides enough fitting and comfort.
Actually it is not fully advised to use a nursing pillow for prop up or sleep. Yet some manufacturers seem to recommend it. However, make sure not to leave the baby unattended.
It is not advised to pass it over the feeding pillow to any one (be it your relative, friend or neighbor). Once you are done with the feeding pillow, place it in recyclable stuff. You can also use the pillow as support for babies who are learning to sit-up.
Yes, you can as long as it has the space to accommodate both the babies. You can also purchase a nursing pillow that is specially made for twins.
Actually, your uterus still continues to grow in the first week of child birth. However, it will shrink back in second week. So, you will be able to fit into the nursing pillow.
It depends on the brand, type and other factors. So, it is better to confirm with the manufacturer or read the instructions present behind the product before making the purchase.
This actually depends on how fast the baby grows. However, it can usually last for 9 months at least.
If your pillow has just a little smell, then it’s not harmful. Just air it out to remove the smell. Remove the cover let the foam have some air circulation for at least 12 – 24 hours. Remember that they should not be placed in the direct sunlight.
This usually depends on how big the nursing pillow is. If you have a smaller one and need support through a long flight, then you can take without any problem. If you travel a lot, then consider purchasing a C-shaped neck pillow or another that is specially designed for travel.
Usually, most of the nursing pillows from top brands don’t have any stuff that is harmful for mother or baby. However, we recommend reading all the information from the manufacturer before making the purchase.
Many mothers may think that feeding pillows are not a necessity. However, it helps a lot during the initial days of being a mother. Apart from recovering the painful delivery (normal or c-section), a new mother has a lot of responsibilities towards the baby. Breastfeeding one of the most crucial and daunting tasks – which takes most of your time as you have to feed once in every 2 hours and the length of breast feeding can be more than 15 – 20 minutes at a time.
This leads to additional pain in the arms and back as you have to hold the baby weight for such a long time. This can be prevented if you use a breast feeding pillow. Nursing pillows provide comfort and support to both babies and mothers.
They help new moms to handle delicate new born babies carefully during feeding without causing any additional burden to the body. Once the baby starts to move or turn, this pillow can be used as back support for your babies.
Now, if you have decided to purchase a feeding pillow, another dreadful task ahead is to purchase the right one as per your requirements. You can read our “buying guide” for more clear information on how to choose the right breast feeding pillow.
To simply the process furthermore, our team has picked up the best nursing pillows in India after testing, reviewing and analyzing several products present in the market. Among these products, Kradyl Kroft Feeding Pillow has taken the first position – because of its multi-purpose usage, quality, support, comfort, and other features. Read our detail description in the article for more information on this product.
For more information or queries, write to in the comment section below. We will reply to them as soon as possible.