Do you want to enjoy a healthy and hygienic dessert with no added preservatives? Then investing in the ice cream machine is best addition to your kitchen.
Consider these factors before you buy an ice cream machine.
Type: Ice cream makers comes in 3 types: Ice and salt or bucket type, Canister or frozen bowl type and Compressor type.
Bucket type: This machine is good if you don’t make ice cream often. This model requires churning manually, there are most affordable and it uses rock salt, ice to freeze.
Canister Type: If your choice is to make ice cream regularly then this model is best. It is little expensive compared to Bucket type. To freeze the mixture this uses a gel containing bowl. To use this machine pre planning is required as they need to place the bowl in freezer for a day before you use it.
Compressor Type: If you don’t want to make regularly and don’t like to plan things in advance then the machine with built in freezer is a good choice. But it is more expensive than above two types.
Capacity: Based on your requirement select the size that matches your needs. The machines are usually available from 1 to 4 litres.
Speed, easy to use, automatic shut off are other features that you should look for before you buy, there is more information give like pros, cons, price, capacity etc check our Buying Guide section below.
We enlist you list of 7 Best ice cream makers on Amazon who fulfil your needs and requirements, after doing a 96-hours thorough research on public views online and consulting few pro ice cream makers.
Best Ice Cream Makers In India
|Ice Cream Makers||Type||Capacity||Warranty||Buy Now|
|Kitchenif||Canister type||1.5 Liter||1 Year||Check the Price|
|Cuisinart ICE-70||Canister type||2 Liter||3 Years||Check the Price|
|Mr. Freeze EIM-700T||Canister type||2 -3 cups||1 Year||Check the Price|
|Sunbeam Polar||--||2 cups||No Warranty||Check the Price|
|Hershey’s Dual||Canister type||2 cups||1 Year||Check the Price|
|Cuisinart ICE-21||Canister type||1.5 Liter||3 Years||Check the Price|
|Hamilton Beach||Canister type||1.5 Liter||1 Year||Check the Price|
Kitchenif comes handy in a world of ice-cream makers where most of them are either expensive or requires manual churning. It is one of those brands which have popularized ice-cream makers in India and its mind-blowing performance has made it the topper on our list. If you are a person who wants to learn how to make ice cream at home, this one should be your choice as it boasts a comparatively less cooling time and a safety lock.
Enjoy bucket full of fresh frozen ice-cream, and desserts free from any preservatives/additives and made with seasonal fruits and flavors. With its 1.5 L large bowl, it makes a whopping 6-7 scoops of ice-cream in one go within 30 minutes. The nice cube shaped design can fit into 80% of the double door refrigerators.
A wide mixing paddle is able to make a variety of other desserts like sorbet, slush and yoghurt. Twist and un-lift the upper part to add chilled ingredients into the double insulated frozen bowl and enjoy desirable desserts any time!
The 4 raised handles make it easy to carry and hold. It is easy to clean as well! Just press the lock key at the bottom of the upper lid, separate the motor and get it washed.
An elegant transparent lid with a safety lock feature ensures that the ice-cream mixture doesn’t spill out. A small spout on the front lid lets you add ingredients without opening the top cover each time.
The electric ice-cream maker makes lesser noise compared to others; noise level is 70Db which is safe to your ears. It is backed up by 1 year of warranty.
Furthermore, it comes with a free recipe book from which you can make and try different types and flavors of ice-creams.
How to use?
- Plan the day before making ice-cream, take the insulated bowl and refrigerate it for about 12-18 hours.
- Place the frozen bowl inside quickly before it starts to defrost
- Put the mixing paddle on the freezer bowl.
- Switch on the Kitchenif Ice-cream maker.
- Start adding ingredients through the small opening on the lid, while the mixing paddle is rotating and the machine is on.
- Let the ice-cream maker run for good 20 to30 minutes
- Ice-cream will be ready on time depending on the volume of total ingredients and recipe
- If you like ice-cream in the soft serving stage, serve it immediately
- For chilled ice-cream, transfer it into another bowl with lid and freeze it for 2-3 hours
- Large bowl with 1.5 litres capacity
- Makes quick ice-cream in just 30 seconds
- Safety lock
- Spout opening for easy adding of ingredients
- Easy to clean detachable bowl
- 1 year of warranty
- Not suitable for single door refrigerators
Cuisinart ICE-70 Electronic Ice-Cream Maker is selected as second product in our list because of its large capacity bowl.
The insulated bowl has capacity of about 2 liters measuring 19.7 cm diameter and 16.5 cm height. This makes it suitable for the entire single door as well as double door refrigerator.
It has 2 transparent plastic lids, one is big lid for complete ice cream maker bowl and other it for small opening that is present on the big lid. This opening is helpful to add mix-ins to the ice-cream in between the churning. The base of the machine is made up of strong and stainless steel, which holds the bowl properly.
High quality plastic made mixing paddles are sharp enough to scratch the ice-cream from edges while churning process. It also prevents the air from entering into the ice-cream mixture and avoids formation of ice.
Digital one touch pad allows you to preset the time and choose the dish you are preparing. Because, it has 4 one touch buttons indicating start/stop, gelato, ice-cream and sorbet. It also has automatic turn off feature that is helpful for everyone.
Four rubber grips present on the outer base of the machine firmly fixes it on the surface and doesn’t cause any disturbance during vibration.
This product comes with 3 years warranty against any damage which is a great factor to consider.
During the operation, machine makes 70-80 dB of sound, which is quite high when compared with our first product
The only disappointing point is it takes almost 20-24 hours to freeze the bowl completely whereas the first product takes less than 18 hours for freezing.
How to use?
- As it a canister type ice cream maker you should freeze the bowl for about 20-24 hours. Then, fix it to the machine and pour all the ingredients.
- Now, you can place the dasher and close the lid. Here, you should preset the timer and afterwards switch on the machine.
- Once the ice cream is ready the machine shuts down automatically. So, you can transfer it into an airtight box and freeze it.
- It has digital panel which provides hassle free operation.
- Large capacity of the bowl
- Good quality mixing paddle
- Preset timer.
- You can prepare ice cream, gelato, sorbet and yogurt also.
- Small opening on the lid allows you to add mix-ins easily.
- Bowl requires 20-24 hours to get frozen.
- Produces high noise.
- Little bit Expensive.
Next product from our list is Mr. Freeze Ice Cream Maker. This is the first compressor type ice-cream maker in our list. It has an environment friendly thermoelectric cooling system, which cools the ice-cream.
The insulated bowl, which is attached to the base of the machine, has capacity of preparing 2-3 cups of ice cream. Plastic paddles are made up of BPA free material which perfectly churns the ice-cream.
It has 3 push buttons on the top side of the device indicating start/stop, hard and soft. This enables you to control the churning speed as per your need.
Also, the device makes beeping sound when the dish is ready. This alerts you to turn it off though you are doing some other work.
High quality plastic transparent lid allows you to check the texture of the ice-cream.
A silicon spatula is provided with this ice cream maker to take out the ice-cream easily and avoid the occurrence of scratches inside the bowl.
This product comes with warranty of 1 year and an instruction manual is provided along with the device. As it is compressor type ice-cream makers the sound produced is very low.
The one biggest drawback of this product is it is very small in size, which produces less amount of ice-cream.
How to use?
- Initially prepare the ice cream mixture and refrigerate it for 2-3 hours. Then, pour the mixture into the insulated bowl and close the lid.
- Now, press the button either hard or soft and later turn on the switch.
- Once the ice cream is ready the machine starts to make beeping sound. Then, you can switch off the machine.
- Environment friendly thermo-electric cooling system.
- Transparent lid.
- Low noise that is less than 60 dB.
- Silicon spatula avoids scratches on the bowl.
- You cannot add mix-ins during the churning process because it doesn’t have separate opening.
Making ice-cream with sunbeam polar blast ice-cream maker is very easy. It makes ice-cream quickly and the design is completely different from the other products in our list.
The complete body of the ice-cream maker is made up of good quality plastic. It has a tube at the upper part along with a blue colour lid.
At the front there is an opening from where you can collect the ice-cream. Once at a time it prepares 2-3 cups of ice-cream.
This machine is best for combining 2 different flavours or preparing ice-cream using frozen yogurt. It is semi manual and semi automatic kind of machine that prepares ice-cream in 5-10 minutes.
All the parts of the device are separable, which makes it easy to wash. Manufacturer has give warranty of 1 year in India.
This product comes with a drawback where it is not suitable for preparing ice-cream using raw ingredients.
How to use?
Take some frozen yogurt and pour it into the tubular structure of the machine. Now, press the blue coloured lid across the mixture by pressing the button. Collect the ice-cream from the front side.
- Easy to use
- Small in size and lightweight
- Parts are easily washable
- Good quality plastic that is BPA free
- Parts are not dishwasher safe
Next product in our list is from west bend, which is one of the special ice cream makers because; here at a time you can prepare ice cream of 2 different flavors.
Two freezing insulated mugs present in this device are of size 10 oz, which takes around 4-5 hours to freeze.
It comes with two separate plastic paddles that go inside the mugs and churn ice-cream properly.
As it has a unique design, all the parts of the machine can be separated and are easy to wash and reassemble back. This ice cream maker is perfectly suitable for serving 2 members.
Lid has opening near the cups where you should place the funnels to pour the ingredients into the cup.
The top of the machine consists of the motor which allows the paddles to rotate and start the process. Once the complete set up is done we can switch on the device and leave it for 20 minutes.
Though it has high speed but the noise produced by the motor is very less. It needs supervision as it doesn’t have alarm in it. You can turn off the switch after 20-30 minutes.
How to use?
- Here, all you need to do is initially take out the mugs and freeze them.
- On the other side you can prepare the ice cream mixture and keep it ready.
- Once the mugs are frozen place them properly on the device and keep the paddles in it.
- Now, close the entire device by keeping the lid and motor above it.
- Then, you can use funnels and place them near the opening to pour the mixture into the mug.
- Make sure you put proper measurement of mixture otherwise it may come outside and increase your cleaning work.
- When everything is set up properly you can switch it on and leave for about 20-3 minutes.
- Then, turn off the device and consume the ice cream.
- 2 insulated mugs
- Produces very low sound
- 2 ingredients funnel
- Easy to wash
- It doesn’t consists of alarm.
Cuisinart is one of the oldest and trusted brands of ice-cream makers. This is second product of Cuisinart in our list. The model ICE-21 is suitable for those who want small and sleek products for their kitchen.
An insulated bowl of Cuisinart comes with capacity of 1.5 litres that takes approximately 12-14 hours for cooling. Once, the bowl is frozen you can directly attach it to the base.
Mixing paddles has blades of about 1 and 1 ½ inches that speeds up the churning process. It is made up of BPA free material. The heavy duty motor, present at the base of the device controls the working of mixing paddles.
The large transparent lid measures 3 inches in diameter which makes it easy to pour the contents into the bowl. Also, the locking system makes it fuss free to lock and unlock the system.
This is a multipurpose device that is helpful in preparing sorbet, gelato and frozen yogurt. Rubber grips are given to fix the device firmly on the surface to avoid skidding or slipping of the device during the operation.
As it comes in 3 attractive colours such as red, white and turquoise you can choose it according to your kitchen colour.
This product comes with warranty of 3 years which is helpful factor.
How to use?
Take out the insulated bowl and freeze it for about 15-16 hours. Afterwards immediately attach it on the machine and place the paddles in it. Now, pour all the contents into it and switch on the machine. You can have delicious and creamy ice cream after 20 minutes.
- Large capacity
- It is very easy to clean because the bowl is detachable
- The rubber feet avoid any kind of damage to the device.
- Good quality BPA free paddles.
- Bowl is not dishwasher safe.
The last product from our list is from Hamilton beach brand.
It has insulated bowl of capacity 1.5 quarts which provides 6-8 scoops of ice-cream. This bowl takes 20-22 hours to get frozen completely and is suitable for almost all kinds of refrigerators.
Mixing paddle blades are strong enough to churn the ice cream properly and make thick ice cream. This machine is useful for preparing the sorbet and frozen yogurt.
The lid is wide open that allows you to add the ingredients directly from the above. Also, the parts can be detached and cleaned easily. So, you can also add mix-ins easily in-between the churning process.
Base of this machine has a motor attached to it that runs to make ice cream thick and creamy. During operation the device makes noise of about 80-90 dB which is a point of concern.
A free ice cream recipe book is given with the device, which helps in preparing varieties of ice-cream. The user manual helps you in adjusting the time and calculates the preparation time.
How to use?
Initially freeze the bowl for about 22 hours and later attach it on the machine. Place the paddles and lid. Now, carefully pour all the ingredients from the above corner. Once, it is ready, turn on the machine and let is start churning process.
Due to single insulation it takes about 1 hour to prepare ice-cream of your choice.
- Easy to clean as you can separate all the parts
- Comes with a free user manual
- Allows you to mix the add-ons easily.
- It has large capacity of 1.5 quarts ice-cream.
- The frozen bowl starts to warm up very soon
- None of the parts of machine are dishwasher safe.
- Makes little bit noise.
Things to consider before purchasing the ice makers:
This buying guide will give you the complete information that you need to buy an Ice cream maker.
Types of Ice Cream Makers
Based on your needs Firstly choose the machine type. Based on their working methods and time they consume ice cream makers are characterized into 3 types.
Let’s discuss all the three types in detail
1.Ice and Salt machines or Bucket Type
Earlier in olden days this was the method used to make ice cream. To freeze the mixture these machines uses mix of ice and salt.
The long metal container sits in the bucket full of ice and salt. When the mixture is poured in the container its gets churned by a big dasher at the same time salt and ice cools it down.
To lower the temperature of ice and enough to freeze the mixture salt is used. Any salt can be used but generally rock salt is used.
Churning would be done manually with a hand crank in the olden days, as of now machines do all hard work as there is an electric motor. Few modern machines offer both, so the most churning is done by motor at the end you will complete it by hand.
- You can start making your frozen dessert as soon as you want them as there are no bowels to pre- chill.
- You can make another batch straight away once you are done with a batch.
- You can make larger quantities of frozen treats in one go as the salt and ice machines have large capacity of between 4 to 6 liters.
- Things can get messy if you are not pre planned. Make sure that you have larger supply of ice and salt.
- You should always keep a close eye on machine adding ice and salt when required.
- Finding a correct place to store it is a task as it is bigger size machine
2. Canister or Frozen Bowl machines
As the canister ice creams are reasonably prices it is suitable for everyone.
Canister type ice cream makers are suitable for the people who plan in advance.
It has the bowl that contains freezing element in it, that is to be stored in the freezer for one or two days, that is to be placed in the ice cream maker.
Now it’s the time to start the machine by adding ingredients into the frozen bowl. In 10 to 15 minutes you will get your ice cream ready.
- This type is much easier than the salt and ice. In this type you just need to add the mixture turn them on and get the output in 10 – 15 minutes.
- They are neat and tidy, done make any mess, don’t have any ice and salt bags to deal with and there is no melting ice to mop up.
- Compared to all domestic machines this type are compact and suitable for smaller kitchens, easily stored anywhere.
- These are cheap and have low maintenance, you can be confident that these last long for many years though they cost low.
- Some pre planning is required as the bowl needs to be placed at least 6 hours in freezer before you use.
- The bowl needs space for it to fit in the freezer; you can do it by checking the variations in sizes and capacity of each machine.
- Ice and salt machines have large capacities than bowls. So, unless you arrange several batches in advance, they’re not sufficient for large groups as the bowls produce 1-2litres of frozen dessert per batch.
- Unless you have enough space in your freezer and buy an extra bowl, you can’t make back-to-back batches, as you have to pre-freeze the bowl.
3. Compressor machines
Compressor type ice cream makers are expensive compared to the other two, as they are digital; and are suitable for all the working people.
They are suited for making smooth textured ice cream; and ice cream is prepared instantly, as it contains a compressor. Before starting the machine, add ingredients into the given bowl, and your ice cream is ready.
Temperature settings, speed control, storing ice cream for longer time are additional features in this machine.
- Convenience, flexibility is provided. Ice and salt machines don’t create a mess and faff. Also, it’s okay if you forget to put the bowl in the freezer the day before.
- You can start making gelato, sorbet or any other frozen treat, if you have decided to eat them. You can start making the next batch once first is done, and it’s quite useful if you have a bigger family or you have got guests.
- They have extra features and options than the other machines as well. Ice cream, gelato, sorbet can have optimized feature, automatic pre-chilling of bowl, auto-stop once the dessert is ready, keeping the final finished product at the right temperature
- Although they look attractive on your counter top, make sure you’ve got enough space, as they’re big and heavy
- They won’t make large batches than the freezer bowl machines, as they have less capacity.
- Quality and convenience come at a price; therefore, they’re quite expensive than other domestic machines.
Factors to Consider When Buying an Ice Cream Maker:
After the decision of the ice cream maker machine according to your need is done next important step is to consider the below factors before you buy the machine.
If you are the party organizer at your or you stay in joint family capacity will be the major consideration.
You need to choose the size of the ice cream maker that suits your needs, particularly if you are planning to buy canister type ice cream maker. As you cannot put the second batch if the ice cream is not sufficient as the bowl should be placed in the freezer whole day.
You can make second batch easily after the first batch easily in the compressor models though they don’t have large capacities.
Though the usage is slow ice and salt machines offer high capacities. Once one batch is done you can straight away make another batch. They come in sizes of 2, 3, 4 litres.
2. How fast the machine can work?
As the different models have different speeds this purely depends on ice cream machine you choose.
When you buy the ice cream machine keep a note of that most of the machines requires the bowl to be pre freeze.
Depending on the ice cream maker you choose the amount of time will be based, it could range from few hours to overnight.
If you are not pre planned and want to prepare and eat the same day then compressor ice cream maker is the good choice, they are little high priced. To know the time taken to make a batch, check the user and products marketing reviews.
This factor will be the most important consideration for some consumers.
Compared to ice/salt the compressor ice cream makers produce smoother ice cream and electric frozen bowl allows different options for dasher speed which offers extra control over texture of ice cream.
Faster speeds make the ice cream lighter and thinner where the slower speed produces thicker ice cream. Faster speed helps to produce improved texture and also prevents ice crystals from building up.
Does the bowl size matches with your refrigerator
The next important thing that comes is the size, after you finalize your product. Canister type ice cream makers have the bowl that fit in the freezer, so make sure to take the size of your refrigerator before you buy canister ice cream maker.
The hand paddle is used in making the ice cream with the manual ice cream maker. The electric machines use mixing arms. Before you buy check the durability of the mixing arm of your ice cream maker. Stainless steel mixing paddle is durable and offers efficient and faster production.
To prevent from the rust to form after using the spinning blades, they are mostly made up of stainless steel. It will aerate the mixture better and produce best ice cream, if the material is good.
Types of Frozen Treats:
Some machines can make more items than ice cream like frozen yogurt, gelato etc, but all devices don’t have this feature so it important to check out all the functions of the ice cream maker you are interested in.
Ease of Use:
In the process of homemade ice cream the differentiating factor between all the machine types is how easy they make the process.
As the compressor model does all the work for you this machine type is most selected one. To make the work easy there are number of features like the Intuitive digital display makes it easy for you to get the settings done just as you want them. The bowl is easy and light to lift the machine which makes transferring the ice cream to bowl easier.
When you like to make ice cream in the electric frozen bowl models, a bowl that comes extra or that freezes quickly makes it easier to prepare.
In Ice and salt ice cream makers motor makes the difference for the time of work ice cream making takes
Noise is expected as it has electric motor. If you are sensitive to noise or loud appliances then this is the other factor you should consider before you buy the machine. Compared to all the ice cream makers bucket type will make much noise.
Ease of Cleaning:
The biggest task when using the machine is its cleaning, as it should be cleaned after every use. It will be easy if you can remove the parts then clean.
Compressor or canister type have a detachable bowl which can be washed easily, these models can be preferred if cleaning is the consideration.
If cleaning is not the preference then you can go with bucket type machine that is less expensive. This type comes with the attached bowl with machine.
Automatic turn off:
Automatic this is the feature we prefer in all the products. If this feature is present in ice cream makers then this saves electricity and there is no need to pay attention to it every time and you can carry out other work simultaneously.
Ice cream makers that give a beep sound after ice cream is ready is also useful, this alarm helps you turn off the machine as soon the machine gives the sound.
Features and Extras:
- Extra Frozen Bowl: Few frozen bowl ice cream makers come with extra bowl or they sell additional one which can make it easy for you start the making of ice cream every time you are ready for the batch.
- Ready Bell: As your ice cream is done the ready bell inform you with a sound.
- Stay Cool Function: A stay cool function gives you flexibility to take your time, to save the trouble of having to eat or transfer your ice cream as it’s done.
- Hardness Options: You can choose the preferred thickness for your ice cream as they have different setting option.
- Cool Down Function: compressor models allow you to get the ice cream faster as they have cool down function.
- Digital Display: Digital Display helps you to choose temperature and change settings easily.
Benefits of Having an Ice Cream Maker at Home
There are many benefits by having ice cream maker at home.
- Fresh & Healthy Home Made Ice Cream: Ice creams that we buy are filled with added preservatives to increase their shelf life and high level sugar which are harmful for everyone.
Having ice cream makers at home you don’t need to add preservatives and also add the ingredients according to your taste that keeps you healthy.
- One Machine, Multiple Recipes: Ice cream makers not only make ice creams, you can make many dishes like gelato, slush, frozen yoghurt, sorbet with the same machine by not buying any additional parts.
- Experiment with Different Flavours: People who like to try new recipes with different ingredients, buying ice cream makers is the best choice as they can try many dishes with one machine.
- Choose you’re Ingredients: People allergic to food ingredients like lactose, gluten, sugar or nuts, ice cream makers are the good choice as you can skip these ingredients and still enjoy the taste of the ice cream.
Frequently asked questions?
This depends on the type of the ice cream makers. If you want to prepare ice cream immediately within 30-40 minutes then, use canister type of ice cream maker.
As there are 3 types of ice cream makers the cleaning method also differs from each other. If you have bucket type or compressor type ice cream makers then all you need to do is just take a wet cloth and clean it properly. But the canister type ice cream maker has a detachable insulated bowl which can be cleaned using soap water and normal water.
Salt lowers the temperature of the water and maintains the cold temperature of the ice cream. So, the combination of salt and ice is used for bucket type ice cream makers.
There are number of brands available in India. By research we have listed out top 7 best ice cream makers and chosen Kitchenif digital ice cream maker as our first product because of the best features. The features it has are large capacity, efficient working, etc.
Ice-cream makers make some noise while operating but there are few machines which makes heavy noise in the range of 70-75 dB. There are some ice cream makers which doesn’t make noise at all.
Ice cream makers’ help in minimizing the work and produces best ice cream at home. Instead of spending every time to purchase the ice cream flavour of your choice it is better to invest in the ice cream makers. This machine helps in making healthy and hygienic ice-cream easily.
After vast research we have selected Kitchenif Digital Ice Cream Maker as our first choice because of its amazing properties.
If you have any queries you can write to us in the comment section. Our team of experts will clarify them as soon as possible.