Right after your baby arrives, your doctor prescribes you an infant formula that is best suited for your baby’s health. The doctor generally recommends a few, depending on the availability. While shopping for your baby formula, you come across such a huge number of variants that you are often confused.
This is why selecting a baby formula should be done meticulously. You must keep all specifications in mind while selecting the best infant formula. While making the list of important inclusions, do not forget to do thorough research and read all the reviews before making an informed choice.
Some of the factors you must consider before investing in the formula milk for your baby are listed below.
- Age: Because of the sheer variety, you should first filter through the formulas that are appropriate for your baby’s age. Since babies of certain ages need certain amounts of nutrition, keeping the age in mind while selecting the formula is essential. Then you need to focus on the type of formula you want.
- Type: You can select from powdered, liquid concentrates and ready to go. Then you must proceed to the base of the formula depending upon your baby’s adaptability and preference.
- Nutritional value: Give priority to allergies and nutrient requirements at this stage. Then move on to the essential nutrients that will help in the overall development of your baby. Make sure that it contains ARA and DHA for brain development. It should contain whey protein for digestion aid and minerals like zinc, iron, along with vitamins A, D, and E that are essential for keeping the baby’s immune system intact.
Please refer to the Buying Guide and Faqs mentioned below for more detailed information, before making a decision. We have also made a list of seven different formula milk for your infant after vigorous research and consultation with parents.
7 Best Formula Milk For Baby (0-6 Months) In India
|Formula Milk||Weight||Prescribed age||Buy Now|
|Nestle Infant Formula Powder||500g||Up to 6 months||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Enfamil A+ Infant Formula||495g||Up to 6 months||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Similac Infant Formula Stage||400g||Up to 6 months||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Nestlé Lactogen Infant Formula Powder||369g||Up to 6 months||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Dexolac, Special Care Preterm LBW Tin||621g||For premature babies||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Farex Infant Formula Refill||521g||Up to 6 months||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Aptamil Stage 1 Infant Formula||400g||Up to 6 months||CHECK ON AMAZON|
7 Best Formula Milk For Baby (0-6 Months) In India Reviews
Nestle has been the go-to for all parents out there when it comes to formula milk for babies. It has been on the market long enough to build trust and a dedicated following. This infant formula is ideal for babies of ages up to 6 months. It is exclusively suited for infants who are not breastfed.
The formula is spray-dried with DHA ARA for infants. DHA is essential for supporting the baby’s brain development. It contains prescribed amounts of vitamins A, D, and C along with zinc and iron and is known to aid in building the baby’s immune system. The formula is supposed to be mixed with lukewarm drinking water as per the instructions on the box.
The company has scientifically developed it and the company agrees with the claims of the World Health Organization that mother’s milk is the most intimate and nutritious food for infants.
Weight: 500 grams
Prescribed age: up to 6 months
- Easy to prepare
- Contains DHA and ARA
- Only suitable for infants who are not breastfed
Mead Johnson Nutrition (Thailand) Limited is renowned all over the world for its innovative paediatric nutrition products. Enfamil A+ Stage 1 is an infant formula made for infants of ages up to 6 months. The product contains Choline, ARA, DHA, and Iron.
DHA, which is an abbreviation of Docosahexaenoic Acid, is an essential element for brain development. It has been proven that food rich in DHA helps improve cognitive abilities for the first 5 years of life. The presence of choline and iron aid the maintenance of the baby’s immune system. Parents are directed to prepare the product with water and not milk.
Mead Johnson Nutrition (Thailand) Limited is regarded as one of the best manufacturers and scientific developers of paediatric products, and this product, when released into the market, garnered stellar reviews as well.
Weight: 495 grams
Manufacturer: Mead Johnson Nutrition (Thailand) Limited
Prescribed age: up to 6 months
- Full of nutrition
- Contains DHA for brain development
- Scientifically developed for infants
- Formula to be made only after cooling boiled water
Abbott has been at the forefront of global healthcare and research for decades. Similac Infant Formula has been used and loved by parents worldwide for more than 85 years. It contains Neuro-nutrients like Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, along with several other minerals.
These minerals and nutrients are known to enhance brain development. It also contains vitamins A, E, and C, and zinc, which are known to support the development of the baby’s immune system, along with Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. It has calcium, phosphorus, and vitamin D for bone development.
Owing to the company’s long-standing reach over the infant formula market, Similac Infant Formula has set the standard of infant formula developed using science for millions of babies across the world.
Weight: 400 grams
Prescribed age: up to 6 months
- Highly nutritious
- Filled with vitamins and minerals
- Specially developed for baby’s overall development
- A bit expensive
This is an excellent alternative for NAN pro if you are on a budget. This product is suitable for babies that are 6 months or less.
Both Lactogen and NAN Pro have mostly the same ingredients. The only difference is the presence of higher amounts of lactose in Lactogen. It helps in dealing with digestive issues due to its antibacterial properties along with aiding in better absorption of calcium for bone development. It also provides amino acids and other fats essential for the baby’s overall development through whey protein.
This infant formula is composed of a premium blend of fat, like corn oil and soybean oil. It also consists of essential minerals and vitamins which are required for the infant’s growth along with demineralised whey protein. The baby needs vitamins A and D for bone function and eye and brain development, and Lactogen has it in adequate amounts.
Among other essential nutrients, it has vitamin C and E accompanied by calcium and iron for muscle growth. The only bone of contention is the lower amounts of AHA and ARA, which might be a plus point for babies with stomach issues.
Weight: 369 grams
Prescribed age: up to 6 months
- Presence of lactose that helps with gut problems
- Aids in proper brain function
- Helps in muscle growth
- Lower levels of DHA and ARA
- Not prescribed for babies with lactose intolerance
Dexolac, Special Care Preterm from Nutricia, is specifically designed for babies born prematurely or at very low birth weight.
Babies that are born before 37 weeks and weigh less than 2.5 kg have prescribed this formula. It provides 79 kcal/100ml of energy for helping the baby catch up to its growth. It is easy to digest because of the inclusion of whey proteins and nucleotides in its composition. It also contains immunity building nutrients.
Since the composition of dexolac special is similar to Similac Advance, this can work as a fitting alternative if and when the other is unavailable.
Weight: 621 grams
Prescribed age: specified for babies born premature
- Specially designed keeping premature born babies in mind
- Easy to digest
- Provides additional energy
- Build immunity
- Specially designed for low birth weight babies. Might not be suitable for babies who were born with optimum weight.
For babies up to 6 months of age, Farex 1 Infant formula is an ideal option. It is both nutritious and fillings that keeps the baby full for a longer period of time.
It contains a formula that is predominantly whey protein. It helps in easier digestion, which subsequently keeps tummy issues at bay. It also contains nucleotides and zinc that provide support to the immune system. Visual function and brain development are aided by omega 3 and 6 fatty acids.
It also contains 100% lactose that helps promote good bacteria in the baby.
Weight: 521 grams
Prescribed age: up to 6 months
- Full of ingredients that help overall development
- 100% lactogen might be harmful for baby’s system
Aptamil Stage 1 Infant Formula is a healthy option for infant formula milk. It contains a balanced blend of nutrients that are age-appropriate to support the overall development and growth of the baby.
It contains a unique composition of GOS and FOS along with essential nucleotides, selenium, zinc, vitamins A, E, and C. B carotene is also present, which aids in immunity. It also consists of DHA and ARA, iodine, folic acid, iron, taurine, and choline, all of which help brain development and visual function.
With a whey casein ratio of 60:40, and 100% lactose, it cares for smooth digestion. Physical growth is supported by calcium, phosphorus, protein, and vitamins K and D.
Weight: 400 grams
Prescribed age: up to 6 months
- Contains GOS and FOS
- Full of nutrients like DHA and ARA
- Whey casein ratio 60:40 to support digestion
- Bit on the expensive side
Things To Consider Before Buying Formula Milk
Your baby’s health is of utmost importance to you, which is why selecting the formula milk for your baby is a top priority. When you visit a supermarket as a first-time parent, you are often overwhelmed by the sheer variety of formula milk available to you.
There are infant formulas that are iron-fortified; certain ones have fatty acids such as DHA and ARA. Some have soy or cow’s milk as the base, while others might be composed while keeping lactose intolerance in mind.
1. Formula that is best suited for your baby’s age and requirements
There is a wide range of products available for babies of different ages. Be selective about the formula you use for your baby and make sure it is the one prescribed by your paediatrician. Since babies of different ages require different nutrients, it is essential to know which product will fulfil your baby’s nutritional needs.
2. The type of infant formula you should go for
Breast milk has been proven to provide the optimum amount of nutrition required for babies, but certain moms might not choose to breastfeed or are unable to do so. And moms who feed their babies might switch to infant formula once they start going back to work or have employed someone else to feed their babies.
3. Baby formulas that are commercially manufactured have 3 main forms:
- Powders: The most reasonably priced option. You just need to mix it in water as directed by your paediatrician.
- Liquid concentrates a little on the expensive side; these are diluted with water as well.
- Ready-to-use infant formulas: These are the most expensive, but that is made up for by its practical nature. You can directly pour this into the baby’s feeding bottle with no inconvenience at all.
4. Basic ingredients for your baby formula
The above-mentioned baby formulas come in different essential ingredients:
- Milk-based baby formula: this is composed of cow’s milk, vitamins, minerals, and vegetable oils. They are iron-fortified and are approved for healthy babies who shall feed on it full time.
- Specialty baby formulas: this category contains a wide range of products such as low sodium formulas for infants that need a restriction on salt intake, lower birth weight babies, and predigested protein formula for infants that cannot tolerate or have allergic reactions to the whole proteins present in cow’s milk and milk-based formulas.
- Soy-based baby formulas: composed of soy protein, corn syrup, vegetable oils and /or sucrose, and maybe iron sometimes; these infant formulas are ideal for babies with lactose intolerance who have trouble digesting milk-based formulas, or infants that have allergies to the whole protein present in cow’s milk or consume a vegetarian diet. Soy infant formulas are not recommended to low-birth-weight or prematurely born babies.
- Organic: you should check if the ingredients contain harmful chemicals or pesticides. Make sure it is devoid of antibiotics as well since such chemicals might have long term effects on your baby.
- Hydrolyzed: babies that have metabolic disorders or allergies tend to prefer this type of formula. The proteins present in this help in breaking down the product into smaller digestible proteins. This helps in easier digestion.
5. The types of minerals and nutrients
- Iron: take notice of the presence of iron in the baby formula. It helps the baby’s brain development and building of stronger bones during the first few years. It is an essential factor for the baby’s muscle growth as well. However, if your paediatrician advises against feeding your baby iron-rich formula, then do so since iron-rich foods might cause constipation.
- Allergens: checking the label to know if the formula contains any allergen is essential. Try to avoid any formula that might cause an allergic reaction, so be extra cautious while reading the label. Take an allergy test if needed as a precaution and then consult the doctor accordingly.
- DHA/ARA: get a hold of infant formula that contains DHA/ARA since breastmilk is devoid of such fatty acids. It is proven that these fatty acids have a major role in brain and eye development during the first few years.
- Prebiotics/Probiotics: pro/prebiotics help in digestion, especially for infants that suffer from indigestion. It helps break the food down for better digestion and thus keeps the child from diarrheal. This is ideal for babies that have sensitive stomachs.
6. Availability at your nearest market/ shops:
Newborns tend to get acclimatized to certain ingredients in the baby formula. Make sure to know the frequency at which your formula is restocked in your local market. Continuous availability is essential since babies have difficulty in adapting to new ingredients.
7. Utility and quality:
Do not try to find cheaper alternatives for your prescribed baby formula. Do not compromise on quality but also do not go over budget since it will be required quite often and for a long time. Look into the taste, smell, reviews, and information about the product as much as possible and then finalize the suitable one according to your budget.
Frequently Asked Questions
Baby milk powders are available at almost all e retailers, with Amazon topping the list for having an extensive variety of all popular infant formulas.
One should select the formula that has been made using advanced technology and extensive research to promote your baby’s overall growth and development. It should have balanced quantities of iodine, zinc, iron, taurine, probiotics, and so on. It should include fatty acids such as omega 3 and omega 6.
These ingredients, coupled together, work as a perfect boost for brain development. Such nutritious mixes also help develop your infant’s bones.
Absolutely! There are several infant formulas whose composition comes close to breast milk. If your formula contains lactose, nucleotides, and omega 3 fatty acids, it results in the same intensity of bone, digestion, and brain development. There are quite a few substitutes available in the market that can replace breast milk for overall development for your infant.
Do check the label for manufacturing and expiry dates
Follow the directions on the labels or your paediatrician while mixing the formula proportionately
Always make fresh batches right before feeding your baby
These compounds have been added to almost all baby formulas because of the nutrients they provide for the baby’s development, along with keeping safety standards in mind. Which is why companies have made it certain that these elements cause no harm to the baby whatsoever. Moreover, they promote their wellbeing.
There is no substitute for breast milk when it comes to newborns. But unavoidable circumstances force parents to look for substances from which the baby can derive nutrition. Infant formulas are scientifically tested to give the same amount of nutrition that breast milk provides. Sometimes, even more so, because of added minerals and vitamins. It is a hassle-free way to provide nutrition for your baby.
|Newborn||60-90 ml( 2-3 ounces)||Every 3-4hours|
|1-month||120 ml(4 ounces)||Every 4 hours|
|2-months||120 ml (4 ounces)||6-7 times in a day|
|4-months||120-180 ml (4-6 ounces)||5 times in a day|
|6-months||180-240 ml(6-8 ounces)||5 times in a day|
Key: 1 scoop= 2 ounces
Parents are often stressed when they are unable to procure a specific type of baby formula because they fear that the baby might have an adverse reaction to the new composition. Babies take some time to adapt to new food products, which is why this may seem like an inconvenience. But if you are unable to provide your baby with their usual infant formula, fret not. It does not really harm your baby.
Bottled milk can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours if not fed within 2 hours. Make sure not to keep the milk at room temperature and feed your baby fresh batched within 2 hours of preparation.
Right after feeding, you might notice excessive crying or excessive gas formation. If your baby vomits and is generally irritable, weak, and has diarrheal, it is advised to stop using that particular formula and consult the doctor at the earliest.
Parents with a newborn are faced with many hard decisions, and selecting their baby’s formula is one of them. You need to keep in mind that it is filling, nourishing, and good for their health. With a little research and recommendations from your doctors, this task is easily achieved.
The above list gives you information about the same in extensive detail, along with a few popular infant formulas that you might discover online or your nearest market. Our recommendation is the Nestle NAN PRO 1 Formula Stage 1. This is a tested product used by mothers all around and comes with the essential nutrients your baby needs when he/she is not breastfed.
But do weigh in all the pros and cons before deciding which infant formula is best for your baby.