Are you looking for a best door locks for the safety and security to your home? Choosing a quality door lock for the house is not an easy task. The hardware which you’re choosing for the door should have smart functionality and stylish design along with providing perfect security, design and finish to the home.
Consider the quality of door frame you’re installing the lock along with the level of security you want to have and how secure you want your home to be, will help you to pick the right lock to fulfill all your requirements. Before purchasing one has to consider these 2 main points other than types of locks to get the best door locks.
Door Design : If you want to use the hardware/door lock on the door having predrilled holes (OR) on any existing door, then simply measure the hole’s diameter, door backset, door thickness, and be sure the lock trim is covering the door openings. So, measure them properly and choose the lock.
Quality Grade of the Lock : The rating issued by the Indian Standard Institute (ISI) will help you to know how strong the door locks are. The locks come with grade rating of 1, 2 & 3 by depending on its durability and ability to withstand the attempted forced entry.
- Grade 1 deadbolts is highly durable and used for industrial or commercial buildings.
- Grade 2 deadbolts are seen in every home and made with high-quality stainless-steel construction but not as durable as grade 1 locks.
- Grade 3 locks won’t provide as much security to your home as grade 1 or 2 provide and these are less expensive.
There are various other factors to consider before purchasing the door lock, which we have mentioned in detail in the below Comprehensive Buying Guide. Also, we have provided some of the best door locks in India to help you lessen your research and shopping time.
Want to upgrade your door locks and not knowing which one is best from various products, that are available in the market. Stay calm with a piece of mind, as we came up with some of the best door locks in Indian market. Choose your best product from this list, as per your requirement.
Best Door Locks In India
|Door Locks||Material||Weight||Warranty||Buy Now|
|Godrej Locks Ultra Twin Bolt||Stainless Steel||1.11 kg||5 years||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Godrej Locks Classic Cylindrical Lock||Brass||649 grams||2 years||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Shaks Traders Europa Dimple Door Lock||Stainless Steel||600 grams||Lifetime||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Europa Cylindrical Lock||Stainless Steel||600 grams||Lifetime||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Met Craft Cylindrical Latch Door Lock||Stainless Steel||568 grams||2 years||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Ipsa High Security Cylindrical Lock||Stainless Steel||525 grams||5 years||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Ramson 10 Chal Iron Door Lock||Iron||1.14 kg||-||CHECK ON AMAZON|
7 Best Door Locks In India Reviews
Godrej is a renowned safety locks company that has been catering with its highly engineered products to its users for quite a long time. This ultra twin bolt is one such best product in which the body is made with tough coated steel to provide extra strength and protection.
In this lock, the deadbolt and latch bolt are made with non-corrosive brass to enhance its strength and durability. Also, the deadlock system of the door will ensure the latch bolt won’t be pushed back to open it forcefully from outside. The hold back feature of this latch bolt will prevent the inadvertent lock out situations.
The safe knob will ensure that the door can’t be opened from outside without having its own key. The pins and keys are specially made with satin nickel-silver alloy that adds attractive look and enhance smooth operation. The keys come with a 14 pair pin tumbler to provide a superior level of security.
One can get 1 ultra twin-bolt assembly, 1 receptacle, 1 pin cylinder lock assembly and rose, 1 lock retainer plate, 4 keys, 6 screws (8X20 mm), 2 screws (5X60 mm), 4 screws (8X45 mm), marker and user manual for proper installation in this pack. It comes with 5 years warranty on any manufacturing defects from the date of purchase. The dimensions of this lockset are 13X9X3 cm with 1.11 kg weight and beige color.
Things we liked:
- The reinforced receptacle provides some extra resistance from the door being forced to open.
- It serves dual purpose – key entry from outside and lever enabled lock from inside.
- Doors will be locked automatically either by pulling or pushing.
- Looks stylish and performs well.
- Provides free installation service.
Things we didn’t like:
- A little bit pricey product.
This is another best product from Godrej, which provides security to its users with latest technology and constant innovation. This lock will secure your door and home, especially for the entrance doors of various commercial and residentials. The single panel door where you want to place this lock should come with thickness of about 32 mm to 45 mm and the backset should be 60 mm.
The knob of this lock is made with brass and hardware works with cylindrical type. The pin cylinder mechanism in the brass will allow automatic deadlocking. It comes with 2 keys for locking the door and has both inside and outside lock.
It has 2-year warranty from the date of purchase and free installation is available in selected locations or else one has to go for paid installation by contacting their customers service team @ 1800 209 4543. It weighs 649 grams and round shape will make it look attractive.
Things we liked:
- Comes with an automatic door locking – both for inside and outside.
- Suitable mostly for the entrance doors.
- Having brass finish and looks stylish and durable.
Things we didn’t like:
- The build quality is not up to the mark.
- Need to work on the handling issues.
This Shaks Traders Europa 8123 AB door lock is suitable for main/entrance door. It is suitable for wooden door in which one can lock / unlock the door with key from outside and without key from inside (lockable knob operated). It is made with pure brass and it is 8-lever and the thickness of the door should be up to 50 mm to install this lock.
It comes with 4 keys in which 1 light key and 3 dimple keys. It is a universal lock that can be fixed on any side of the door (both for left-handed and right-handed door openings). The rim portion of the lock is fixed inside the door and cylinder at the outside.
The dimensions of this product is 12X8X4 cm and weighs about 600 grams and comes with lifetime warranty against any manufacturing defects.
Things we liked:
- It is a genuine Europa lock with metallic color that looks stylish and durable.
- The heavy and strong built lock to safeguard your home or office.
- Ideal to fix on the main entrance door.
- Comes with lifelong warranty on any manufacturing defects.
Things we didn’t like:
- It won’t be suitable for double door why because it comes with a horizontal lock.
- The lock quality is not up to the mark, as it may struck when locked inside the home.
This Europa stainless steel feather touch press button cylindrical lock is used for the door panel with a minimum of 30 mm thickness. This door lock is suitable to use for main entrance door/bedroom/ bathroom doors. One can easily lock/unlock the door on both sides (from inside and outside the door).
It comes with 5 pin security and has a set of 3 keys and the stainless-steel finish on brass material will give a modern look. The company won’t provide any free installation, one has to go for paid installation either by the company service team or outsider.
The dimensions of the product are 12X8X4 cm and weighs about 600 grams with lifetime warranty on any manufacturing defects.
Things we liked:
- Suitable for any doors which comes with a thickness of minimum 30mm.
- The stainless-steel material with metallic color will make it look attractive and stylish.
- Comes with lifetime warranty.
Things we didn’t like:
- The quality of the product is not up to the mark – need to work on lock mechanism.
- Instruction manual to install the lock is not provided along with the product.
This cylindrical lock is made with high quality stainless steel to prevent the door lock from either breaking or tampered easily. The lock comes with waterproof feature which make it not to get corroded quickly. The stainless-steel material of this lock with silver color will provide a classy finish to your house or office doors and make its look attractive.
It is suitable for entrance doors for both commercial and residential purpose and it covers with 3 keys. The single panel doors should come with thickness of about 32 mm to 45 mm and lock backset of about 60 mm.
In general, this lock will come with 60 mm end – end dimensional side latch and those who are trying to replace the old lock will check the latch dimensions of previously installed lock. It comes with 2 years warranty from the date of purchase.
Things we liked:
- This cylindrical latch/tubular door lock is strong and durable one.
- The stainless-steel finish will make it look attractive and stylish.
- The user can lock/unlock the door from both outside (using key) and inside (lock button).
- Value for money.
- It is easy to install and sturdy quality material.
Things we didn’t like:
- The quality of the lock (lock rose) is not up to the mark.
This high security cylindrical lock or lockset tubular knob is made with stainless steel material with grade 202. It can suitable for doors in any room with thickness of about 30 mm to 50 mm and the backset with 60 mm. It comes with stainless steel finish.
It is strong and durable with rust and scratch free lock. It comes with 5 years warranty and has antique and luxurious style. For installation, you have to call their customer service @ 0120-4536600. It comes with 3 computer keys and one can lock/unlock the door from both sides (inside press the button on the knob and outside by using a key). It weighs about 600 grams.
Things we liked:
- Easy to install but free installation is applicable in only selected areas.
- Value for money.
- Good looking and have effective performance.
Things we didn’t like:
- Poor post-installation service.
- This is not that much sturdy and the quality are similar to local locks.
This high security door lock comes from the house of Ramson locks and door fittings. It is made with iron with anti-corrosion feature that lasts for a long time. It comes with steel color and can be operated from both sides of the door (universal door lock). It comes with 3 keys and can be fitted to any door either single or double panel door.
The dimensions of this door locking bar are 9.5X5.5X3.5 inches and ideal to use for wooden / metal doors. It is easy to install and comes with sturdiness. It weighs 1.14 kg and has steel color. One can get 1 lock, 3 keys, 2 cram and 1 key hole in this pack.
Things we liked:
- Value for money
- Easy to install this sturdy door lock.
- Suitable for both wooden and metal doors.
Things we didn’t like:
- A little bit pricey product.
- The quality of the product is not up to the mark.
Buying Guide for Door Locks
Thinking about the home security, then it’s time to buy door locks for both security and privacy of the home. Buying the locks for your home will be a bit overwhelming. So, have a look on this buying guide to find the best hardware / door lock for the interior and exterior doors by comparing the various door hardware locking options.
1. Types of Door Locks
Due to vast array of door lock choices, it can be overwhelming. So, be sure about the hardware you’re using, as it will allow you to sort quickly through the available options. Here some hardware models are designed for interior doors while others for exterior doors. Most of the door lock types will feature for locking mechanism and extra security whereas others won’t. Have a look on the main types of door locks available in the market.
This type of hardware is specially designed for front entry doors (exterior doors). It comes with a deadbolt in a rectangular (mortise) metal box and uses a key to operate the lock. It comes in two piece and full plate options and feature with a thumb turn handleset and deadbolt.
3. Keyed Entry Sets / Keypad Locks
This type of lock comes in both lever and knob designs and especially, for exterior entry doors. It features a key operated lock, in which they are sometimes mixed with a thumb-turn handleset and deadbolt for additional security. This lock comes in two-piece and full-plate options.
It is most popular option that provides maximum security and available with single- and double-cylinder functions. The single cylinder is popular with a thumb-turn latch on the inside whereas the double cylinder is unlocked and locked from both the sides by using a key. This hardware is a flat-ended bolt that extends into door frame for extra security. Most of the external door models comes with pre-drilled for deadbolts to make its installation easy.
5. Keyless Entry / Smart Lock Sets
It allows the user to open the door by typing a code rather than using a key. It is an advanced level of home security in which the visual and audio indicators will confirm the lock is activated. Anti-theft and alarm activation after entering incorrect code for more than 3 consecutive times will make this smart door lock as an effective and most popular in these days.
6. Passage Knobs and Levers
Widely installed on the interior door (inside doors) like closets between the rooms or hallways where the privacy won’t matter. The knobs or levers don’t include locking function. They come in wide range of finishes and styles.
7. Privacy Knobs & Levers
This type of latch includes the locking mechanism and widely used in places where privacy matters like bathroom or bedroom doors (internal lockset) rather than security. It comes with locking button on interior knob but won’t have key device to operate on the exterior knob.
8. Dummy Knobs or Levers
Only for aesthetic/decoration purpose and used for both exterior and interior doors but won’t connect to the locking or mechanism or latch mechanism. This provides a trim that matches on the non-functional unit and available in variety of finishes and style.
9. Latch Lock / Bar Locks
It provides additional layer of security and springs back when the lock is released. Whenever you shut the door then the lock falls into the place automatically and don’t need to turn a key to lock or unlock the door.
10. Sash Lock
It is a combination of the deadbolt and latch lock to provide a high level of security rather than deadbolts.
The lock mechanism comes with the handle and mostly seen in Indian doors. They are actually coming with a combination of the sash lock with the entire handle apparatus of the door. This integrated lock system is one of the most secure one.
Things to consider before Buying Door Locks
Here we have listed a few important points which the buyer has to be take into account before buying the best quality door locks for the home.
1. Door Design
- If you want to use the hardware/door lock on the door having predrilled holes (OR) on any existing door, then simply measure the hole’s diameter and be sure the lock trim is covering the door openings.
- Measuring the backset (distance from center of hole to the door edge & width of the door stile) is essential to install the door lock properly.
- The door with a thin stile, then you won’t be able to install certain locksets, as they end up with scraped knuckles while door is opening.
- The standard inside door should come with a thickness of about 1 3/8 inches whereas the exterior one comes with thickness of about 1 3/4 inches. The thickness of the door differs from the standard, then you simply buy conversion parts, which ensures the lock to work properly with the door.
- If you want to purchase a lockset with lever handle then know the direction of the door swings /door handling to get the proper fitting on the door in the correct side.
2. Style and Finish
- The door locks come with a wide variety of finishes and styles that makes you unable to choose the model that complement for the style of your home.
- Remember that antique bronze or oil rubbed bronze or polished brass may change after sometime. So, prefer to use PVD finish for the exterior doors (entry doors).
- Always, compare the colors while choosing from multiple brands till you get the exact color match.
- Install a handleset rather than using a standard lever or knob to upgrade the look of your home entry, as the handleset comes in a wide variety of finishes with different color options.
- Before purchasing the door locks, you should think about the level of security you want for the particular door/place. Generally, these door locks are used for outside (exterior) door or the place where you want privacy.
- Also, the main door of the home needs to be more secure whereas the bathroom or bedroom needs to have light locking system.
- Choosing the lock type is also an essential consideration. Place handleset (with latch lock and deadbolt system) in the main door and knob latch lock in the bathroom door.
- Mortise locks is the most secure one, as they provide great security to the home and peaceful mind to the user.
- Having any glass entry doors then prefer installing a double cylinder deadbolt why because an intruder won’t unlock the glass door, in case they break the doors. But the room or home should have another way to exit in case of fire or any emergency without searching for the key.
4. Installation Considerations
- One should always measure the door thickness, backset and cross bore before purchasing the door lock for the room / home.
- Thickness – Exterior door should have 1 3/4 inches thick and the interior door should have a thickness of about 1 3/8 inches.
- Cross / Edge Bore – A small hole of diameter about 1-inch on the edge of the door frame.
- Backset – It measures about 2 ¾ inches or 2 3/8 inches and it is the distance between the door edges to the center of the lock hole.
- Without thinking out the type, fit the standard pre-drilled hole in an exterior door. But make sure that door’s thickness should be suitable for the lock which you’re buying.
- For a quality locks, a 3-inch screws are attaching this strike plate to the door frame. In case, if the deadbolts screw is shorter then it is advised to purchase 3 – inch screws separately and place them instead of shorter one.
- Remember that longer screws will make it difficult for an intruder to kick open the door.
5. Door Handling
- The door handing will decide the way door opens. This will affect the type of lock and bolt you need to face the right direction.
- Whether you need a left or right lock or handle, you can determine the door handling and one has to stay by facing the door and knock it open.
- The door swings interior then opens the door on the outside and push the door to open to carry out the test.
- You need handle on the left hand for outside door and right-handed handle for inside part of the door, especially when the door swings and hinges left to open.
- In case, if the door swings and hinges on the right and you have a handle on the right-hand side on the outside and a left-hand side handle on the inside the door.
- Having any difficulty time for recollecting the proper door handing then simply go for a door hardware / door lock that labelled reversible handing, in which one can install the lock on any side of the door.
6. Strike Plate
- It is the metal plate that attaches/screws inside the doorframe. It is an important aspect to consider while looking for home security locking system.
- It helps to attach the lock to the door frame to keep the door stay in position when you lock it (adds reinforcement to the lock).
- When the user locks the deadbolt then the steel bolt will extend into a hole in this strike plate.
- Best quality locks with reinforced strike plate will provide better protection to the home against the intruder.
- Placing inexpensive or less quality locks may have flimsy strike plate that bends overtime easily when the door is kicked.
7. Lock Quality Grade
- The rating issued by the Indian Standard Institute (ISI) will help you to know how strong the door locks are.
- Generally, the locks are given a grade rating of 1, 2 & 3 by depending on the durability of the lock and the potential to withstand the attempted forced entry.
- Grade 1 deadbolts are limited to industrial buildings due to its durability and effectiveness but in these days, the lock manufacturers are manufacturing grade 1 locks for residential usage. To attain Grade 1, the lock can withstand at least 10 strikes against force of 75 pounds and able to withstand at least 10,00,000 opening and closing cycles.
- Grade 2, commonly found in every home, as they are designed specially to withstand various attempts at forceful entry. They come with high-quality stainless-steel construction. A grade 2 lock will be sufficient for common house lock but not for high security needs. In this Grade 2, a lock should withstand at least 5 strikes against force of 75 pounds and can withstand at least 8,00,000 opening and closing cycles.
- Grade 3 locks will offer a measure of protection that contain substandard components, which won’t hold up to a determined intruder and won’t last as high-quality lock. To attain Grade 3, a lock should able to withstand at least 2 strikes against it of force of 75 pounds and withstand at least 8,00,000 opening and closing cycles.
8. Parts of a Door Lock
Whenever you need to replace locks on the doors then you need to know the individual names for those parts and their importance for overall mechanism and how they help to lock the door. Depending on the type of lock, these are some of the standard parts of the door locks.
- Cylinder – It is the part where the key goes and allows you to open / close the lock. It contains several spring-loaded pins which moves when you place the correct key inside into the cylinder and unlock by opening the bolt. It comes in 2 main types – single cylinder & double cylinder.
- Single Cylinder: It comes with key on external part of the door while the inside part of the door has twist knob to lock from inside without a key.
- Double Cylinder: It comes with key on both side and can be used in places where one won’t be able to lock the door from inside without a key. It presents some added security but prevent you from exiting safely, especially in the event of any emergency.
- Bolt/Latch – The pins inside the cylinder moves to engage the bolts / latch to lock/unlock the door. It is another part of the lock which moves in and out and leaves in the carved-out part of the door frame/box. It is a metal piece that extends from the door into the frame and thereby keeps the door closed. They are two main types of bolts available – deadbolts (more secure) and spring bolt (automatic locking doors).
- Deadbolt: Used for high level of security, as they keep the door in frame. There are whole range of finishes, styles and trims that work well with deadbolts to create a more secure and aesthetically pleasing look. These are safer and durable than spring bolts and a few prefer to use the combination of both of these bolts.
- Spring Bolt: This is a small clip that holds and compress to unlock the bolt, when the key moves the pin in the cylinder and thereby lock to open the door. It locks on their own whenever you close the door, which makes it best option for additional security, especially for those who forget to lock the door behind them.
9. Budget / Price
Different types of door locks are available at different prices. Decide what’s your budget range and the number of locks you want to purchase. Then choose the best door locks as per your requirement for your security needs.
10. Tips for choosing Door Locks
- The standard Mortice lock is not suitable for multiple point locking system on the UPVC door.
- The doors with either weak glass panels or weakened frame are less secure without concerning about the type of lock you install.
- Most of the people suggests the installation of either patented lock or restricted lock to increase the security.
- The latch bolts are cheap and easy to install but they provide a minimum level of security, as they can broke by wrench or hammer easily. So, a metal plate installation around the knob will prevent from being smashed.
- For effective security, use both deadbolts and latch bolts along with patented keys.
- The door which you’re planning to place this lock should be made with solid wood for a secure locking system.
- Prefer to use a Grade 1 deadbolt with 1-inch to secure your home effectively and it should meet fire safety standards.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are a few ways that help you know when to replace the old locks with the new one for your safety and security.
Change the locks of all doors when you’re buying an old home why because we don’t know who all has the keys to the locks. So, to prevent an unexpected break-in by simply replacing all the locks.
Thieves find easier to pick the imperfect lock like rusty or worn out lock on the door. In case, if you find still difficulty to turn after oiling the lock then you need to replace the lock for your home security.
When an intruder breaks into the residence then you need to install a new lock. The door and lock are damaged from the sheer force that caused by the intrusion.
Door without deadbolts are just like an open invitation to devious intruders. So, it’s best to install the deadbolts.
Yes, it may happen in case, if the doorknob can easily be drilled through and leave a hole for an intruder to reach through and thereby unlock the deadbolt. So, always add a secondary lock or make different door hardware selection to mitigate the risk.
Not all door handle hardware is easy to operate by all the people in your home. For instance, a keyless lock (like smart or coded) is best for people with hand arthritis (OR) lever style mechanism is best and easy to operate rather than knobs for elder people, children or anyone with poor hand grip or strength. But smart locks are the best choice for convenient control over those who are entering into the home.
Generally, the secondary lock is recommended to add a low-cost security layer and thereby slows down the intruders. So, they are sold in combination of deadbolts and door knob locks. In case, if your door won’t have knob lock backing the deadbolt then one can easily find the interior options like slide latches, chain locks, etc. which acts as best supplement measures. However, they are essential for weaker doors like basement doors, sliding doors and other entryways which won’t accommodate the total secure deadbolt.
Each and every grade has a minimum acceptable requirement for ease of operation, pull strength, impact resistance, number of key torque cycles and finish. Most of the residential exterior door locks comes with grades in between 1 – 3. On this scale. Grade 1 offers the highest level of security and considered as the commercial grade. Grade 3 comes with basic residential requirements and whereas the grade 2 in between these two grades. So, choose either grade 1 or 2 to add some security measures to your locks.
All the above-mentioned products are best in their performance but we pick Godrej Locks Ultra Twin Bolt as our best door lock. The reason is that it made with tough coated steel and non-corrosive brass to give extra strength and protection. The hold back feature of this latch bolt will prevent the inadvertent lock out situations. It serves dual purpose – key entry from outside and lever enabled lock from inside. Doors will be locked automatically either by pulling or pushing.
Hope you will choose the best door lock that provides security and match with your home interior. Having any queries on its purchase? Then feel free to share it with us in the below comments section.