Everyone loves the smoky flavor of grilled veggies and meat. Grilling food, especially meat over charcoal gives it an authentic taste that is loved by many. Not only taste, but grilling is also a healthier way of eating food when compared to frying the same food items.
If you love eating grilled food, buying a charcoal grill will be the best option for you. It adds a nice smoky aroma and flavor to the food that no other type of grill can offer.
Grilling is undoubtedly a beautiful art and to master this art, you should have the perfect charcoal grill.
If you are planning to buy a charcoal grill for the first time, we have prepared an extensive buying guide mentioning all the important factors that can be helpful to you.
Also, after trying and testing different types of charcoal grills, we have shortlisted some of the best charcoal grills in India. You can have a look at all of the options and then buy one that suits all your requirements.
6 Best Charcoal Grills In India
|Charcoal Grills||Material||Weight||Warranty||Buy Now|
|H Hy-tec Portable & Picnic Metal Barbeque||Iron||3 Kg||-||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Prestige Barbecue Coal Barbeque Grill||Steel||4.5 Kg||1 year||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Mazoria Barbeque Grill Set||Heavy-duty steel||7 Kg||-||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Wellberg Charcoal Grill Barbecue||Iron||3 Kg||-||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Fabrilla Round Charcoal Barbeque Grill Set||Iron||2.5 Kg||-||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Sagrach Charcoal Barbeque Grill||Stainless steel||3 Kg||-||CHECK ON AMAZON|
6 Best Charcoal Grills In India Reviews
- Material: Iron
- Weight: 3 Kg
- Included peripherals: 4 skewers, 1 iron grill, 1 packet of charcoal
- Size: 38 x 24 x 19 cm
H Hy-tec is quite a popular name in the market and must be familiar to a lot of users as it has received many positive feedbacks from its customers. Here is a charcoal grill from H Hy-tec that you must check out.
In the 1st position, we have a great charcoal grill for you from H Hy-tec. This is one of the most lightweight and transportation friendly options as it has an Iron made outer body and weighs around 3 KG only, which is great for a high capacity charcoal grill. You will also get 4 skewers, an iron grill, and a packet of charcoal included in the package for no extra cost. The skewers are necessary for grilling food properly; hence it will come in handy at parties. Also, all skewers have a wooden handle so that you can easily switch the grilling side even if the rod temperature is high.
The included iron grill, on the other hand, fits perfectly on the top of the charcoal section at a perfect height where charcoal does not come in contact with the food, but its heat cooks up the food perfectly. You can see 2 wooden handles on either side of the grill that will help you move the grill even when it’s running and hot. The charcoal grill comes disassembled in the package, and you have to assemble it to use manually. This will allow you to clean it properly by disassembling it after use.
- Easy to clean
- Lightweight charcoal grill
- Comes with 4 skewers and an Iron grill
- Can get bent easily upon impact
- The color will be gone after repeated usage
- Material: Steel
- Weight: 4.5 Kg
- Included peripherals: 2 different sized skewers, an instruction manual on assembly and maintenance, aluminum grill
- Size: –
Prestige is one of the oldest and most trusted brands in India for kitchenware and other household appliances. Hence, we have included a charcoal grill from Prestige on our list, which is a very reliable option.
In the 2nd position, we have a premium yet reliable charcoal grill for you from Prestige. You will see a very premium build quality on this charcoal grill as it is made up of steel. Still, it is quite lightweight and manageable to carry around as it weighs only 4.5 Kg. Also, it can be disassembled so that you can fit it in the trunk of your car along with other camping equipment.< class=”Apple-converted-space”> Prestige has also included an instruction manual for assembly and overall maintenance of the product so that you can use it for a longer period of time and maintain it properly.
Apart from the skewers, Prestige also includes an aluminum grill with the barbeque so that you can grill all sorts of food, whether it can be attached to skewers or not. Also, you should know that aluminum grills are actually better for fire-cooked food as it reduces the risk of cancer due to reduction in mutagens in the body that generally occurs on steel-based grills. The aluminum grill is also more resilient towards corrosion, so you can wash it directly after using it. Prestige is giving a year of warranty on this charcoal grill, which is pretty great.
- It has a 1-year warranty
- Elegant looking charcoal grill
- Comes with an aluminum grill
- Skewers do not have wooden handles
- The Price tag is a bit high in comparison
- Material: Heavy-duty steel
- Weight: 7 Kg
- Included peripherals: 1 grill plate, 7 skewers, 1 Pkt Coal, 1 glove pair
- Size: 42 x 30 x 38 cm
Mazoria is probably a very underrated name in the market as they are a heavy-duty brand and provide various high-quality outdoor grilling equipment that will survive for many years. Hence, we include a charcoal grill from Mazoria.
In the 3rd position, we have the most heavy-duty option from our list of the best charcoal grills in India. This charcoal grill from Mazoria is made up of heavy-duty steel and weighs around 7 Kg. Hence, you can expect great resistance towards bending and breaking due to any unfortunate accidents.
It also has a very wide cooking area that can cook a large amount of food at once, which is very helpful if you have a larger group to feed on a camping trip. The coal section is also pretty big and can contain large amounts of coal so that sufficient heat can be provided to cook the food completely and quickly.
As for the cooking itself, you can use 7 skewers that come with the charcoal grill, which have a wooden handle in the hand so that you can properly grill food from a safe distance. In case you get a cooking partner with you, you can also go for an alternate skewers setup for much faster results. There are a few more peripherals included in the package that consists of a grill plate, a packet of coal, and a pair of gloves, all of which are essential for barbeque cooking. The included grill is made of aluminum as well to avoid any ill effects.
- Heavy-duty option
- Large space available for faster cooking
- Durable for the long run
- Not ideal for transportation
- Assembly takes some time
- Material: Iron
- Weight: 3 Kg
- Included peripherals: 5 skewers, 1 Iron grill,
- Size: 22 x 19 x 32 cm
Up next, we have a charcoal grill from Wellberg. Wellberg is a very affordable brand that can provide you with various camping equipment under a very affordable budget.
The Wellberg charcoal barbeque grill is the most affordable option on our list that should be a great option for small house parties. As it is a very compact barbeque grill, you can also use it as a portable room heating equipment in the winter season. The compact design also allows you to carry it anywhere without any problem. It also weighs pretty low, which is around 3 Kg, so that it is viable to carry uphill if you are camping at a high location.
You can find a tray under the barbeque grill that slides in and out so that you can put charcoal inside the grill easily and in the right amount, which is needed for given space. This grill is suitable for various small food items as it comes with 5 skewers that fit the grill size perfectly. It has an iron body that might get very hot after prolonged usage, so make sure you don’t come in contact with that. And to avoid the fumes coming from charcoal, you will get a detachable shield on top of the grill that directs the smoke in such a way that you can properly see the food and does not come in contact with the smoke.
- The detachable shield makes it useable for indoor cooking
- Very compact design and form factor
- Versatile in applications
- Not suitable for big parties
- The compact grill size limits the type of food that can be cooked on it
- Material: Iron
- Weight: 2.5 Kg
- Included peripherals: 1 piece cooking grill, 5 pieces skewers and manual
- Size: 36 x 36 x 53 cm
Fabrilla is another lesser-known name from our picks. But, it produces a variety of charcoal grills, and you can surely find 1 out of these options that are best suited for your needs.
Here, we have a classic looking barbeque grill from Fabrilla that has a round shape and a dedicated handle on top that will let you carry it around. As it is made of iron, it is the most lightweight grill on our list and weighs only 2.5 kg. Also, it is one of the few options that has a separate lid that allows covered cooking, which is necessary for certain grilled food. There is a smoke escape gap on the top of the lid that will not let the smoke ruin the taste of the food.
The overall cooking grill diameter on this charcoal grill is about 34 cm, which is perfect for cooking large-sized food easily. To help with the cooking, Fabrilla is including 5 pieces of skewer along with a cooking grill so that you do not have to purchase anything apart from this charcoal grill to get started. As it comes in parts in the package, you have to assemble it manually. But, you can follow the included manual for step by step instructions.
- Stylish looks
- Can be cooked with the lid closed
- Manual provided for easy assembly
- Cannot be stored in compact spaces due to round shape
- Might get bent easily upon impact
- Material: Stainless Steel
- Weight: 3 Kg
- Included peripherals: 4 Skewers, 1 Iron grill, 1 Packet of charcoal
- Size: 38 x 24 x 19 cm
Lastly, we have a charcoal grill from Sagrach. It is a kind of value for money brand, so it is surely worth checking out its charcoal grill.
The Sagrach charcoal barbeque grill is a portable camping BBQ grill that has a briefcase like design that includes a rectangular lid for a similarly shaped grill design for an overall classy look. It is made up of stainless steel so that you will not have to worry about corrosion problems ever again, as it has the highest corrosion resistance.
It also makes the grill very lightweight as it weighs around 3 Kg, including the top lid. With this charcoal grill, you will get 4 skewers and a< class=”Apple-converted-space”> chrome-plated grill for a long-lasting performance.
Each part of this charcoal grill is completely detachable, so that cleaning it thoroughly won’t be a problem. You can find 2 holes on the lids that are provided to help with the covered grilling for the best results. While carrying the charcoal grill, you can use the locks provided on the lower body to lock the lid tightly over the top so that it doesn’t slip. There is a top handle as well to make it easy to carry. While using the grills, the locks also work as stands for the grill so that it can be kept at a certain height from ground for proper air ventilation.
- Easy and safe to carry
- Compact charcoal grill
- Great cooking results
- A cooking area could be wider
- Build quality is weaker
Things to Consider While Shopping for Charcoal Grills
We have shortlisted all the important factors that you must check for before buying a charcoal goal to ensure that you are buying the best one. Let’s learn more about them individually.
1. Type of Grill:
There are three main types of charcoal grills available: ceramic grills, barrel, and kettle grills. All these types of grill can be used for barbecuing, grilling, and smoking. However, each type has its own set of strengths.
A kettle grill is the smallest type of charcoal grill and is available at a cheaper price range. It is usually available in a round shape and features a defined bowl where you can keep coal. It is designed keeping heat retention properties in mind. Kettle grills are the most portable types of grills available.
These grills are quite small with a diameter of 22 inches or 363 square inches, to be precise. You can easily make 12-15 burgers on it without overcrowding the grill.
If you are new to grilling, this can be a perfect choice for you.
There are larger models of kettle grills available too with a diameter of 26 inches or even 36 inches.
The almost-spherical shape of the kettle grill helps in retaining and reflecting the heat within the bowl so that the food gets cooked evenly. Kettle grills are very easy to maintain, especially the ones that come with removable ash receptacles.
Whatever type of cooking you want to do – let it be high-temperature grilling, low-temperature barbecuing, or smoking, you can do them all using a kettle grill. However, if you intend to only grill the food, buying a kettle grill will be the best choice for you.
Barrel grills are usually big. They are about 36 inches long, providing a cooking area of around 435 square inches. Barrel grills are perfect for slow cooking as well as smoking the meats. When compared to kettle grills, they are more versatile and are a perfect choice if you are hosting a large gathering at your place.
Barrel grills are expensive than kettle grills. The shape of barrel grills might vary from model to model and they don’t necessarily feature a rounded top and bottom. Since they are quite bulky, they often come with wheeled stands so that it is easy to move them around.
Kamado or Ceramic Grills:
The Kamado or ceramic grills are made using Japanese design. Out of all the types of charcoal grills, these grills are the best at controlling and maintaining an optimum temperature and regulating the flow of heat.
They feature a solid ceramic construction that offers superior heat control. It is a very important factor especially while you are planning to grill during the extreme winter season. With the help of a ceramic grill, you can cook at varying temperatures, 200 F being the lowest temperature (perfect for smoking and barbecuing) till 500 F and sometimes even hotter that can be helpful if you are planning to make a pizza on the grill.
2. Build Quality:
The material used to make the grill and how does it respond to intense heat and heavy use is an important factor that helps in determining the quality of the charcoal grill. The materials that are considered while making a top-quality grill are thick cast iron, cast aluminum, or heavy ceramic grills.
Some cheaper options that can perform a decent task are chrome-plated and porcelain-coated grills. Since these materials are a bit thinner, they might not withstand intense use over time.
3. Size or Cooking Area:
First, think that how much cooking area would you need on the grill and how much space do you have to store and cook on the grill.
There are some tabletop and portable models of charcoal grill available that are quite compact in size. They are suitable for making food for 6 or less than 6 members. If you are buying a large barrel-shaped grill, you can cook for extra members easily.
You should also remember that barrel grills are usually large in size and ceramic grills are usually heavy and hence, are difficult to move around. A kettle grill can be the best option if you plan to take it outdoor as it is light and portable.
4. Temperature Control:
While talking about temperature control, a few factors that you must consider are the total number of dampers. There should be at least two dampers so that oxygen can come in and exhaust can go out. Another way to control the heat flow in a grill is the ability to control the distance of food from the coal,
Some grills even come with a charcoal net so that you can adjust them at different heights from the food. Comparatively, Kamado provides the best temperature control feature due to its egg-shaped design.
Some grills come with an integrated thermometer that can help you in keeping an eye on the overall temperature of the fire.
If there is no integrated thermometer, you might find a temperature probe hole that can be helpful too.
5. Ease of Use:
To make the entire grilling process easy, there are some tiny details that you must check for such as grill racks that can sit steadily, or vents that can open easily. Some grills even feature hoods that can be hanged conveniently. These are very minor differences that can make a huge impact on the cooking experience and can prevent your fingers or hands from burning.
Hence, look for a grill that is easy to use and that features a thoughtful design.
6. Cleaning and Maintenance:
Irrespective of the type or model of the grill that you have bought, cleaning the grills can be a tedious task. Hence, you should buy a model that is not only easy to clean but easier to maintain as well.
Be very particular about the grills as you might have to flip it over while unloading the food. Thus, you must check whether the model that you have selected is user-friendly and easy to clean or not.
You can even check for grills that feature an easy-clean mechanism like an ash basket or a drawer that can easily be removed or pulled out from the grill. Most charcoal pit manufacturers even provide ash tool accessories or slide-out ash pans that are helpful while cleaning up after cooking.
7. Charcoal Grill Fuel Types:
Charcoal grills often use two types of fuels: lump charcoal and charcoal briquettes.
Charcoal briquettes are usually similar-looking and pillowy-shaped and are uniform in size. Hence, they are easy to stack. You can arrange them in a smooth bed form of hot coals. They also make the cooking process easier as many recipes even tell you that how many briquettes should you use.
Lump charcoals, on the other hand, turn hot very quickly. This property makes it perfect for searing. However, you might have to add more fuel for the grill to function for a longer time. Lump charcoals are available in irregular shapes and sizes. Some types of lump charcoal are made using a single kind of wood like oak or mesquite. They are the perfect choice for smoking.
8. Charcoal Grill Grates:
All charcoal grills feature grates that are used as cooking surfaces. These grates are made using different types of materials such as steel, porcelain, and cast iron.
- Grates made using steel and stainless steel are the least expensive options. However, they are less durable too. They tend to chip faster. However, when compared to plain steel, stainless steel last longer and offer better non-stick properties.
- Porcelain-coated grates are mid-ranged grates. Since they have a tendency to chip off easily, you should not clean them using metal scrapers.
- Cast iron grates are the heaviest of all. They are durable and offer the best heat retention and heat distribution properties. They can cook food very quickly. However, they are expensive and require more maintenance than other types of grates.
9. Other Features:
Some other features that you must consider when buying a charcoal grill that can meet all your requirements are as follows:
- To prevent the heat from escaping, the lid should fit tightly.
- Check if you get built-in thermometers (especially digital thermometers) as they can be very helpful in gauging the overall cooking time.
- There should be air vents or dampers as they are designed to let oxygen in, release exhaust, and thereby, regulate the temperature inside.
- Side charcoal grills or hinged grates can be helpful in adding extra fuel easily.
- With the help of removable ash catchers, it becomes easier to clean the grill.
- A hanging rack can be useful in hanging your cooking utensils.
- In folding shelf charcoal grills, either side or front shelves can be folded so that it is easy to store or carry easily. However, in fixed shelf charcoal grills, the front or side shelves stay intact in place.
Deciding a budget is one of the first things that you should think of before buying a charcoal grill. Many users don’t prefer spending a lot on the grills. You can get a good charcoal grill at a price range of Rs. 1,000 to Rs. 3,000.
If your budget is a bit low, you can opt for smaller models. They are fine for smaller parties. You can choose a kettle grill in that case. Barrel grills can be a bit expensive, but they are great for larger get-togethers or parties.
You must buy a charcoal grill from a brand that offers a minimum warranty of 1 to 2 years. It can be very helpful to you in the long run.
Charcoal Grilling Tools and Accessories That You Might Need:
You will need some additional accessories while cooking using the charcoal grill. These accessories can make the entire cooking session easy and fun. Some of the recommended accessories are as follows:
- Charcoal Chimney Starter: Unlike gas grills, a charcoal grill doesn’t feature a push-button starter. The coals need to be lit first. You can buy a charcoal chimney starter as it can help in firing briquettes or lump charcoal easily and quickly. All you have to do is make a few balls of newspaper or a firelighter under the coals and lighten it up. You will have hot and red coals ready within 15 minutes. It is easy and time-saving.
- Heat Resistant Gloves: As the surface of the grill is very hot, you must be very cautious. Apart from this, you might have to handle the hot chimney, move the grates around, or turn the lid. During all these activities, your hands will be very close to the flame, and the chances of burning your hands are very high. Hence, you must buy and use a pair of heat-resistant grilling gloves.
- Grilling Tools: To add food items, or turn or remove them from the grill, you will need a good spatula along with a few BBQ tongs.
- Thermometers: Maintaining a certain temperature while cooking is very important and this can be ensured by using a thermometer. The built-in thermometers sometimes don’t usually provide correct and reliable readings. Hence, we suggest you to buy a good dual probe smoker along with a grill thermometer. Using this, you can monitor the temperature of the grill as well as the internal temperature of the food.
- Grill Brush: Irrespective of the type of grill that you are buying, cleaning the grates is very important and you can do so using a good grill brush. Check for a bristle-free brush.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can find various types of cooking grills in the market. The most common types of cooking grills available in India are gas grills, electric grills, and charcoal grills. Although electric grills and gas grills have a better heat production rate and faster startup time, it is not possible to get an electric outlet or a gas connection in distant places. Hence, charcoal grills are highly preferred for outings and camping purposes.
Well, the answer to that might differ according to your personal preference. But, if you like the smoky grilled flavor on your meat or veggies, you should go for a charcoal powered cooking grill as the burnt charcoal smoke gives the food the proper barbeque aroma. Also, If you want healthy food, you can go with synthetic coal that does not have any harmful chemicals in it and can be easily extinguished when it’s not needed.
There are multiple ways to cool down a charcoal grill. The first one is the most efficient way, which is removing the coal from the grill and letting it cool down naturally. It might take some time, but it is surely the cleanest way possible. You can also do that by shutting the lid if you have a lid on your charcoal grill. In case you are in a hurry and need to pack the grill, you will have to spray water on the grill. Be careful while doing so as it will create a lot of fumes and also leave thick coal residue behind.
There is a pretty long list of equipment that is necessary for the safe and perfect barbeque experience. In case you are going with the charcoal-based grill, you will need charcoal as fuel, a chimney starter to start burning the coal quickly, gloves, apron, skewers, and an air blower if there is not enough natural airflow available. There is a few more safety equipment that you can keep, such as fire extinguishers, in case of an unfortunate fire hazard.
You can have a hefty charcoal grill for your home that will power up all of your barbeque parties efficiently or get a lightweight option that you can carry around with your picnic equipment and get tasty grilled food even in distant locations.
To help you pick up the perfect options, we have shortlisted the best charcoal grills in the market and listed them above with specifications and details. We have also provided a helpful buying guide and a FAQ section that can surely clear any doubt you may have regarding your choice. But, if you can’t decide which is the perfect charcoal grill for you, here are our favorite options:
- If you want a charcoal grill without taking a big hit on your savings, you should go with Wellberg Charcoal Grill Barbecue. Being the most affordable option on our list, it has a pretty attractive set of features. It is one of the most compact options from the market and comes with 5 skewers. This grill should be good enough for any small party or gathering without any problem.
- Although, if you want to go with a durable option, then Mazoria Barbeque Grill Set with Handle is the ideal option for you. Made from heavy-duty steel, MAZORIA Barbeque Grill is best suited for outdoor use and transportation. But, make sure you have the resources to carry this heavy charcoal grill around as it weighs 7 Kg.
- In the end, we will suggest the most value for the money option that is the Prestige Barbecue Coal Barbeque Grill. It is one of the premium options from our list with an elegant look that will surely be the discussion topic at your party. Made by Prestige, this charcoal grill has a pure steel body and weighs around 4.5 Kg. It also has a year of warranty that is rarely available for charcoal grills.
Make sure to share your thoughts in the comments section. You can also post any questions down there if you have any!