No doubt breast pumps are the best friends of a new mother. Every mom wants to provide the best for their babies and nothing can replace the benefits of breast milk. It is rich in valuable proteins and enzymes required for baby’s immune system.
As per Indian Academy of Pediatrics, a mother has to breastfeed her baby for at least first six months. But not all mothers, especially working ones don’t have adequate time to feed the baby. That is why breast pumps are beneficial.
A breast pump is a device that extracts milk from the breasts of a lactating mom, which can be stored and fed to the child later.
Is a Breast Pump Really Necessary…?
Well, every mom has unique feeding situation. Breast Pump becomes necessary…
- If you are going to back to work
- If you want to take breaks from the feeding routine
- If your baby is premature and could latch up to your breast
- If you want to share feeding duty with your partner
But selecting a breast pump can be an overwhelming situation for most of the mothers. Our Buying Guide can be helpful in dealing with situation. Apart from that, we have also listed top rated breast pumps available in the market, along with every nitty gritty details and highlighting the pros and cons of them as well.
Best Breast Pumps in India
|Breast Pumps||Type||Warranty||Buy Now|
|Medela Swing Breast Pump||Electric||1 year||Check the Price|
|Philips Avent Manual Breast Pump||Manual||2 years||Check the Price|
|R for Rabbit Electric Breast Pump||Electric||1 year||Check the Price|
|Trumom (USA) Electric Breast Feeding Pump||Electric||1 year||Check the Price|
|Luvlap Manual Breast Feeding Pump||Manual||1 year||Check the Price|
The first quality product on our list is the Swing Breast Pump from Medela. Medela is a leading recommended breast pump brand with more than 50 years of a full line of nursing and pumping products.
This compact and lightweight breast pump is easily portable and helpful while travelling. Its unique 2-phase expression technology resembles a baby’s nursing rhythm – the faster stimulation phase (120 cycles per minute) followed by the slower expression phase (45-72 cycles per minute).
The easy-to-use vacuum controls make it hassle-free for the breastfeeding mother. She can easily increase or decrease the vacuum levels and the optimum frequency will automatically be set.
This breast pump can be used via an AC adapter or through batteries (~2 hours) while on the go and is easy to assemble. It consists of a single pumping kit with 24 mm PersonalFit breast shield that aids in efficient and comfortable pumping.
LED indicators show whether the pump is on or off. The belt clip option provided helps the mother to move more freely while breastfeeding. This single user product is fitted with SoftFit Breast Shield technology for gentle and effective stimulation.
Designed for both everyday pumping as well as occasional use, the Medela Swing Breast Pump is clinically approved and noiseless while in operation. It comes with a warranty of 1 year on the motor unit from the date of purchase.
Things We Liked:
- Fully automatic 2-phase expression pump
- 2 pumping options with stimulation and expression modes
- Easy to adjust vacuum buttons
- LED indicators
- Lightweight and easily portable
- Comfortably soft (SoftFit Breast Shield)
- Belt clip option included
- Powered with mains adapter or batteries
- Easy cleaning
- 1 year warranty on motor unit
Things We Didn’t Like:
- Individual parts may be expensive on replacement
Next from our list comes one of the best and well-known brands in India – Philips. The Avent manual breast pump is one of the best products among their wide range. It is an economical option for those lactating moms who prefer to pump their milk manually. It comes with a number of useful features.
This pump is uniquely designed to allow milk to flow freely from the mother’s breast into the bottle. This is possible even in the most comfortable upright sitting position. The mother need not lean forward for better flow.
The soft velvety massage cushion that comes with the pump works on the principle of a baby’s natural suckling sensation. It works to gently stimulate the milk flow and comfortably fits a majority of mothers.
A simple DIY assembly process with 6 components can be done on your own before use. These parts can easily be separated for cleaning after the usage. A nipple meant for natural latch-on and an all-in-one express, store and feed cup comes as a part of the package.
Designed from BPA free materials which are safe to use, all parts of this manual breast pump are dishwasher safe for convenience. The Philips Avent Manual Breast Pump comes with a warranty of 2 years from the date of purchase.
Things We Liked:
- Uniquely designed for upright comfortable pumping
- Soft velvety massage cushion for gentle stimulation
- Easy DIY assembly
- Includes nipple for natural latch on and all-in-one cup
- Dishwasher safe components for hassle-free cleaning
- 2 years warranty
Things We Didn’t Like:
- Manual, not automatic.
The brand R for Rabbit is known for their innovative research, customer centric and high quality products that simply motherhood responsibilities. The manufacturers at R for Rabbit are very keen about safety. That is why their products, especially electric breast pump is developed with the highest safety standards.
The material used for this device is BPA free plastic. It is uniquely designed to provide comfort in the natural baby feeding style. This device is much easier to handle as you don’t have to lean forward for the milk supply to start. It has a massage mode with 10 levels. So for mother who are unable to start milk supply can use these levels for a quick start.
There are 15 different levels of suction mode, you can choose any one among them as per your comfortability. The anti-back flow features prevents contamination and enables safe working environment. Its compact design enables you to carry it around wherever you travel.
Things We Liked:
- Dual mode – massage and suction
- 10 different massaging levels
- 15 different suction levels
- Compact and travel friendly
- BPA free plastic material
- Anti-flow feature
- Easy to operate
Things We Didn’t Like:
- Nothing much.
Trumom is a well-established name in the area of baby care safety products, breastfeeding accessories as well as products specially designed for new mothers. The Elite Electric Breast Feeding Pump is a user-friendly pump for new mothers and their babies.
It can be easily assembled on your own. It has three operating modes – massage mode to make the breast tender and increase milk flow, stimulation mode for easy expression and finally the milk secretion mode.
This unique 3-phase expression system helps in faster milk letdown for mothers. It imitates a baby’s natural suckling action for milk secretion and can be easily used multiple times a day.
Made from safe BPA free materials, this breast feeding pump’s sanitary design is such that the milk never comes in contact with the tubing, preventing any contamination.
Another advantage is its angled neck design which helps lactating moms to comfortably sit back while using the device. They need not lean forward for breastfeeding their baby. The LCD screen indicator is an additional useful feature.
Light in weight and noiseless in operation, the Trumom Elite Electric Breast Feeding Pump comes with a warranty of 1 year from the date of purchase.
Things We Liked:
- Unique 3 phase expression system – massage, stimulation and secretion modes
- Hassle-free and user-friendly operation
- Ergonomic angled neck design
- LCD screen indicator
- Can be used via mains or batteries both
- Lightweight and compact, easily portable
- Noiseless functioning, easy to clean
- 1 year warranty
Things We Didn’t Like:
- Batteries drain quite fast
- Suction power becomes lesser on battery usage.
If you are looking for a budget friendly option with a good set of feature then LuvLap has to be your choice. It is a manual breast pump made up of 100% safe and food grade materials.
The soft silicon massage pad that comes as a part of the product helps to relieve soreness and discomfort in lactating mothers. It makes the process of alternating expression of milk and the relieving part much more comfortable.
As it is manual, you don’t have to worry about any noise. Its leak proof design make sure not a single drop of the valuable breast milk is wasted. All the parts of this device are 100% sterilisable. You can easily assemble and disassemble them for cleaning purposes.
The manufacturer provides extra container to store the pumped milk. Its ergonomic design and shape ensures proper grip and comfort while pumping. A storage pouch is provided to carry the device while you are travelling.
Things We Liked:
- Comfortable massage cushion
- Easy to assemble and clean
- Ergonomically shaped
- 100% sterilisable
- Extra container for storage
- A travel friendly storage pouch is provided
- Compact design
- 1 year warranty.
Things We Didn’t Like:
- It is a bit hard to press while pump making it difficult.
How to choose the best breast pump?
Just like any other nursery product or baby gear, there are several factors to consider before purchasing the best breast pump. We have mentioned them below for your convenience.
1. Types of Breast Pumps
There are broadly two main types of breast pumps available based on their mode of usage.
- Electric/Battery-powered pump: Suited for mothers who pump several times a day or for those who have trouble breastfeeding directly (hospital-grade pump). Fully automatic, these pumps usually come equipped with a number of useful accessories and work on the principle of a baby’s natural suckling pattern.
- Manual pump: More affordable and simple in design, these are meant for those breastfeeding moms who do not use it very frequently, maybe once a day. These may require a little more effort and time since the milk is expressed manually using piston pumps to create suction.
2. Frequency of Usage
The most important factor while opting for a breast pump is how frequently you plan to use it. If you’re a mother who is joining work full time or will stay away from your baby for long durations and aren’t able to nurse regularly, opt for an electric or battery-powered breast pump. On the other hand, if you plan to breastfeed regularly and stay at home with the baby and don’t want to supplement the baby’s nutrient requirements with formula, you could opt for a manual breast pump for occasional use.
3. Place of Usage
If you plan to use your breast pump at home, no worries – opt for manual or electric, whichever suits you best. However, if you’re not in the privacy of your home and need to use the device elsewhere, make sure you opt for a relatively noiseless and battery-operated pump or one with an AC adapter that can easily be plugged in for use.
4. Size of Breast Shields
A majority of the modern-day breast pumps come equipped with a standard size that is deemed to fit all. However, to ensure the perfect fit that helps in creating a vacuum to express milk more efficiently, you need to find out which model suits you best. The ideal size is wherein the nipple moves freely within the breast shield while in the process of pumping. If it doesn’t, a larger size is required.
5. Milk Volume
Some of the breast pumps are designed for only occasional use. However some of them can handle heavy usage. So, understand how much you will have to pump the milk. Depending on that, you can purchase either manual or electric ones.
6. Suction Power
Most of the breast pumps have adjustable suction power which enables you to choose the right range as per your need or comfortability.
7. Travel Friendliness
Some women may have to travel frequently due to personal or professional requirements. So, while choosing the breast pump, check out whether it can be packed without too much bulkiness.
This again depends on how and where you wish to use the pump. If it’s on the go, make sure it operates on batteries too and not only with an adapter. Also, it is advisable to check and confirm beforehand whether the accessories of the model you choose are freely available, in case a replacement is required at a later date.
Some Frequently Asked Questions:
1. How to clean your breast pump?
The cleaning requirements of breast pump are different depending on the manufacturer and type of the device. Most of the manufacturers provide a manual containing all the cleaning and maintenance instructions. However, we are providing some basic guidelines that include…
- It is better to rinse every part of the device individually.
- Use warm water and soapy water to wash them before rinsing.
- Some of these devices are dishwasher safe, you can place them on the top rack.
- Before re-using the devices, make sure the pieces are completely air dry to prevent any bacterial growth.
- Breast pumps of certain brands can also be sanitized in a baby bottle sanitizer or microwave.
2. While selecting a breast pump, I have observed terms like closed system and open system. What does these terms mean and which one is better?
A closed system refers the device where – the pump contains the parts that collect milk are separate from that parts that actually pump the milk. The barrier between them prevents dust, mold or spoiled milk from contamination. An open system refers that there is no such barrier. So the milk pumped out can get into the nooks and cracks in the unit which may encourage bacterial growth. However, you can purchase clean tubes and parts later. Or else you can sterilize individual pieces but you cannot sterilize the motor and it may contain microbes. It is better to purchase closed system rather than open system.
3. When should a mother use breast pump?
If you are pumping occasionally and prefer to feed babies directly from breast most of the time should pump in the morning – as it is the time where you can produce most of the milk. You can pump between the breast feeding sessions by about an hour. You can either pump 1 hour before the baby is hungry or 1 hour after the breast feeding is complete. However if you are only pumping milk instead of breast feeding then you should pump once in 2 – hours. Emptying your breasts efficiently provides signals to make more.
4. What are the instructions to using a manual breast pump?
First, gently massage your breasts to let the milk flow from back of the breast to the front. Or else you can place a warm cloth to encourage the milk flow. Cover your nipple with the breast shield. Make sure it holds tight enough and doesn’t fall out. Use one hand to hold the breast shield in place and using the other hand squeeze the pump handle. This should make the milk flow. However if the milk isn’t flowing then lean forward and let the gravity do the work. Keep on pumping until the flow starts slowing down.
5. How to use an electric breast pump?
First, cover the nipples with breast shield. If you have double pump then cover the other nipple as well. Now turn on the machine. If the suction hurts then reduce the power. However if the milk is coming very slowly then turn up the suction. Once the milk slows down turn off the machine. To break the vacuum of the pump, use your fingers. Remember – never pull out the shields while the electric pump is still on unless you are in pain.
6. What are the tips to consider for maintaining breast pumping hygiene?
Every mother using breast pump should follow certain tips to make sure the milk is not contaminated. Here are some of them…
- It is better to avoid application of any creams and lotions, especially the scented ones.
- Always wear a clean nursing bra every day to make sure your breast are clean.
- Before using the device or breast feeding, always clean your hands.
- Make sure to wear loose, light and breathable clothes.
- As soon as you pump out the milk, clean the device immediately.
- If you are using breast pads, change them at least twice in a day.
- If you are sweaty, then shower quickly before feeding the baby.
- It is better to use warm water to rinse the nipples. And make sure to dry with a clean and soft towel.
7. Can pumping milk damage my breasts?
If you have set wrong suction setting then it can cause pain. And moreover suction that is too hard can sometimes cause trauma to the breast tissues. However this usually doesn’t last long. Pumping too much and too often can disrupt the milk flow, fill your body with unnecessary breast feeding hormones, and block milk ducts leading to other issues. If your body is signaling pain then stop pumping milk. However if you ignore the signal and keep on pumping then it can cause severe damage.
8. Can breast pumping reduce the milk supply?
Actually, it doesn’t. Usually, breast milk flow is maintained and encouraged by nipple stimulation. This comes from either your baby breastfeeding or from the use of breast pump. Match the pumping schedule as per your baby’s hunger which makes sure you are not out of breast milk supply.
9. Can you provide some pumping tips and hacks for enough milk supply?
If your baby is gaining weight on your breast milk, the supply is considered enough. However if you are worried that the supply is not enough or if you are feeling a shortage of milk supply then here are some tips to increase…
- Make sure your baby is nursing well. A good latch ensure the milk from your breasts is thoroughly completed.
- Aim for nursing once in 2 hours during the day and once in 3 hours during night.
- You can ask your doctor for prescribing medicines for increasing the supply.
- You can try pumping for a few minutes after the last drop. This increases the flow for sure.
- Take plenty of fluids and have a balanced diet to maintain the milk supply.
- Switch the sides during the feeding to encourage the supply.
10. Is it hard to use a breast pump?
If you are doing it for the first time then you can have a terrifying experience. However, you will get used to it very quickly. Make sure you don’t have any clothing under the breast shield. It is better to lean a bit forward to avoid milk spillage. Though all the parts of the breast pump can be sterilized, it is better to check the manufacturer instructions. When you are carrying breast pump with you while travelling, keep the parts in a zip lock bag or air tight containers. You can also invest in storage bags for freezing milk which can be refrigerated for a maximum of 2 days.
11. Is it better to rent or purchase it?
The answer for this question depends primarily whether it is for a single use or multiple use. And if you are thinking of renting it then avoid getting a single user pump. Make sure it is intended for multiple purpose. If it is intended for single user then there is a risk of contamination. If it is designed for multiple user pumps, then there is no risk – as they are specially developed in a way that milk will not penetrate inside the pumping mechanism.
If you have to go back to work or want some break from breastfeeding schedule, breast pump is your new best friend. While purchasing them if your criteria is to get a fully functional and reasonable priced breast pump then Medela has to be your pick.
It has some amazing features likes – pumps quickly, you don’t have to lean to start the supply, mobility, ergonomic shape, and others.
Well, if that is not your choice then go through our buying guide and purchase the one according to your requirements.
If you have already tried any breast pump product then we request to share your experience, tips, hacks and words about breast feeding. With your words, many new moms can get confidence and do the best for their little ones too.