There is nothing healthier than mother’s milk to new born babies. They contain several nutrients, minerals, and enzymes required for baby’s physical, mental and immunity development.
But in some situations like re-joining the office, public places and medical problems, mother may not be able to breastfeed directly.
In these conditions, Breast Pump is a great way to ensure the baby is not deprived of nutrition from breast milk.
Breast pumps are simple devices that help to extract milk which can be administered to babies using a bottle or spoon. The milk expressed through breast pumps will stay edible for 6 – 8 hours and up to 24 hours if refrigerated.
Is a Breast Pump Really Necessary…?
Well, every mom has unique feeding situation. Breast Pump becomes necessary…
- If you are going to back to work
- If you want to take breaks from the feeding routine
- If your baby is premature and could latch up to your breast
- If you want to share feeding duty with your partner
Selecting a breast pump can be extremely overwhelming with all those options and especially if you are purchasing it for the first time. Our “Buying Guide” can be helpful in dealing with situation as it contains all the information required to analyze a breast pump device.
Apart from that, we have also listed top rated breast pumps available in the market, along with every nitty gritty details and highlighting the pros and cons of them as well.
Best Breast Pumps in India
|Breast Pumps||Type||Warranty||Buy Now|
|Luvlap Medela Breast Feeding Pump||Manual||1 year||Check the Price|
|Trumom Breast Feeding Pump||Manual||1 year||Check the Price|
|Philips Avent Breast Pump||Manual||2 years||Check the Price|
|Oren Empower Breast Pump||Manual||--||Check the Price|
|Syga Breast Pump||Manual||--||Check the Price|
|Trumom Advance Rechargeable Breast Feeding Pump||Electric||1 year||Check the Price|
|R for Rabbit Comfort Breast Pump||Electric||1 year||Check the Price|
|Mothers Like Breast Pump||Electric||1 year||Check the Price|
Best Electric & Manual Breast Pumps In India : 2019 Reviews
The first product on our list is from a famous worldwide recognized brand – LuvLap. This brand is trusted by many mothers across the world. Among their product range, Luvlap has received a commendable response and positive reviews.
Luvlap manual breast pump is a budget friendly option with good amount of features. This device is made up of 100% safe and high quality food grade materials, which ensures no contamination or chemical leakage into the breast milk.
The soft silicon massage pad that comes as a part of the product helps to relieve soreness and discomfort in lactating mothers. It makes the process of alternating expression of milk and the relieving part much more comfortable.
As it is manual, you don’t have to worry about any noise. Its leak proof design makes sure not a single drop of the valuable breast milk is wasted. All the parts of this device are 100% serializable. You can easily assemble and disassemble them for cleaning purposes.
The manufacturer provides extra container to store the pumped milk. Its ergonomic design and shape ensures proper grip and comfort while pumping. A storage pouch is provided to carry the device while you are travelling.
- Comfortable massage cushion
- Easy to assemble and clean
- Ergonomically shaped
- 100% sterilisable
- Extra container for storage
- A travel friendly storage pouch is provided
- Compact design
- 1-year warranty
- As it is manual, using it continuously for can create discomfort and pain in your hands.
Trumom is a well-established name in the area of baby care safety products, breastfeeding accessories as well as products specially designed for new mothers.
This product is perfect for working moms as it is specially designed for using multiple times in a single day. It unique pumping handle is also specially designed to reduce the strain on the hand and wrist.
It comes with dual suction modes that include – half stroke and full stroke. The half stroke mode mimics the baby’s sucking motion to start the milk flow. The flow stroke operation mimics baby’s regular sucking motion to express the milk out.
This breast pump comes with PPSU gold 180ml bottle which ensures highest safety possible. Highest quality medical grade material is used for making this bottle. It comes with hard wearing which ensures safety from breakage and other degradation.
The milk expressing mechanism of this breast pump is quite simple. With continuous squeezing and pulling, you can extract sufficient amounts as per your requirement in no time. You can also control the pressure and frequency of expressing the milk.
As it comes with limited body parts, you can easily connect them by following the instructions provided by the manufacturer. This product is backed up with 1-year warranty.
- Highest safety and quality
- FDA approved
- Baby safe food grade silicone
- BPA free material
- Portable, pain free and leak proof design
- Ergonomic handle
- Easy to clean and install
- Dual suction mode
- Temperature indication ring
- 1-year warranty
- The top portion of the pump doesn’t hold and keeps popping out
Next from our list comes one of the best and well-known brands in India – Philips. The Avent manual breast pump is one of the best products among their wide range. It is an economical option for those lactating moms who prefer to pump their milk manually. It comes with a number of useful features.
This pump is uniquely designed to allow milk to flow freely from the mother’s breast into the bottle. This is possible even in the most comfortable upright sitting position. The mother need not lean forward for better flow.
The soft velvety massage cushion that comes with the pump works on the principle of a baby’s natural suckling sensation. It works to gently stimulate the milk flow and comfortably fits a majority of mothers.
A simple DIY assembly process with 6 components can be done on your own before use. These parts can easily be separated for cleaning after the usage. A nipple meant for natural latch-on and an all-in-one express, store and feed cup comes as a part of the package.
Designed from BPA free materials which are safe to use, all parts of this manual breast pump are dishwasher safe for convenience. The Philips Avent Manual Breast Pump comes with a warranty of 2 years from the date of purchase.
- Uniquely designed for upright comfortable pumping
- Soft velvety massage cushion for gentle stimulation
- Easy DIY assembly
- Includes nipple for natural latch on and all-in-one cup
- Dishwasher safe components for hassle-free cleaning
- 2-years warranty
- Manual, not automatic
Next from our list comes from the brand – Oren which provides one of the best breast pumps in the Indian market. When compared to other products, this product is portable and compact. So, you can carry to your office or anywhere.
And it also comes with feeding nipple and bottle as well. 7 breast pads are provided along with the product. As they are made up of PP silicone material, these silicone pads don’t cause an irritation to the sensitive skin.
The pump and bottle are made up of 100% food grade and eco-friendly materials, so you can be assured that the milk will not get contaminated. This breast pump comes with high-temperature resistance, transparency and hardness.
This product is available in several different colors – you can choose anyone as per your requirement. Oren Empower Breast Pump is backed up with 1-year warranty.
- Gently and comfortable suction
- 270-degree adjustable hand
- Dual pumping
- Dustproof design
- No BPA release
- High temperature resistant
- Takes some time and effort to pump the milk
Syga is another famous brand when it comes to affordable breast pumps in India. If you are in a budget constraint, then this one is perfect for you as it is priced below Rs. 500.
This product comes with two suction modes- medium level and high level. You can choose any one as per your requirements. As it is compact, this product is perfect for regularly travelling moms.
Its pump is specially designed to collect the leaking milk while nursing on the other side. Ergonomic handle feature reduces the grip strength and make the fast press more labor-saving, which let sucking milk a kind of enjoyment for mommy.
As it is a manual breast pump, you don’t have to worry about running out of batteries or recharging it. Most of the components of this product are dishwasher safe.
- 100% leaf proof
- Comfortable experience
- Affordably priced
- Two suction modes
- 100% food grade and eco-friendly
- Safe for both mom and baby
- Ergonomic handle
- Doesn’t come with warranty
As mentioned above, trumom is a popular choice of many mothers across the world. If you are not interested in manual pumping, this product is perfect for you – as it expresses milk without straining your hands and wrist.
It can be easily assembled on your own. It has three operating modes – massage mode to make the breast tender and increase milk flow, stimulation mode for easy expression and finally the milk secretion mode.
This unique 3-phase expression system helps in faster milk letdown for mothers. It imitates a baby’s natural suckling action for milk secretion and can be easily used multiple times a day.
Made from safe BPA free materials, this breast feeding pump’s sanitary design is such that the milk never comes in contact with the tubing, preventing any contamination.
Another advantage is its angled neck design which helps lactating moms to comfortably sit back while using the device. They need not lean forward for breastfeeding their baby. The LCD screen indicator is an additional useful feature.
Light in weight and noiseless in operation, the Trumom Elite Electric Breast Feeding Pump comes with a warranty of 1 year from the date of purchase.
- Unique 3 phase expression system – massage, stimulation and secretion modes
- Hassle-free and user-friendly operation
- Ergonomic angled neck design
- LCD screen indicator
- Can be used via mains or batteries both
- Lightweight and compact, easily portable
- Noiseless functioning, easy to clean
- 1-year warranty
- Batteries drain quite fast
- Suction power becomes lesser on battery usage
The brand R for Rabbit is known for their innovative research, customer centric and high quality products that simply motherhood responsibilities. The manufacturers at R for Rabbit are very keen about safety. That is why their products, especially electric breast pump is developed with the highest safety standards.
The material used for this device is BPA free plastic. It is uniquely designed to provide comfort in the natural baby feeding style. This device is much easier to handle as you don’t have to lean forward for the milk supply to start. It has a massage mode with 10 levels. So for mother who are unable to start milk supply can use these levels for a quick start.
There are 15 different levels of suction mode, you can choose any one among them as per your comfortability. The anti-back flow features prevent contamination and enables safe working environment. Its compact design enables you to carry it around wherever you travel.
- Dual mode – massage and suction
- 10 different massaging levels
- 15 different suction levels
- Compact and travel friendly
- BPA free plastic material
- Anti-flow feature
- Easy to operate
- Nothing much
Last on the list but not least is the product from MotherLike brand. When compared to several other electric breast pumps in the Indian market, this product is quite affordable for its quality and efficiency.
The revolutionary design of this product features LED UI and super suction quality. It comes with 2 modes and 18 gears for expressing milk without causing any pain and discomfort. The 6 gears help mother to start lactation and remaining 12 gears are for effective milk flow.
This product is made up of pp material. The breast pumps are made up of edible food grade silicone which ensure utmost safety for both mom and baby.
All the parts of this product are dishwasher safe as well. This product comes with anti-flow back design which avoid contamination caused by acid reflux. This easy to clean and operate product is backed with 1-year warranty.
- Safe and hygienic
- 2 modes and 18 gears
- Super quiet
- Anti-flow back
- Massage cushion
- Easy to assemble and operate
- 1-year warranty
- Nothing much
Breast Pump Buying guide
What is a Breast Pump?
Breast pump is a simple machine that is designed to extract milk from lactating mother’s breast. This device is of a great help for working mothers who cannot be there for regular feeding. With this device, you can collect the milk, store it and use it for feeding the baby. As most breast pumps are designed to imitate the baby’s suckling action, so you will have normal milk flow. The suction created for milk flow can be either manual or electrical. You can choose any one as per your convenience.
Why do you need a breast pump?
No one can deny the benefits of breast feeding the infant. Even modern researches and studies have also proven the same. However, there can be some situations where you cannot directly breastfeed your baby. In that situations, breast pumps can be of a great help. It helps you pump and store the milk – which can be used to feed your baby later on whenever required.
What Problems Do Mothers Face to Breastfeed? What are the Solutions?
Every mother loves to breast feed their babies in order to provide them excellent health. But there are some situations where breastfeeding becomes difficult and impossible. Below are some of these situations and solutions for the same.
1. Latching Problems Faced by Baby
Some newborns may find it difficult to latch on your breasts. This can happen due to any one of the problems mentioned below.
- Suckling Problems: Latching can be a huge problem for some newborns who are slow at learning the process of suckling.
- Cleft Lip/Cleft Palate: These medical conditions can often lead to latching problems. If you are facing these situations, then with breast pump you can feed the baby through bottle or spoon to provide them proper nutrition.
- Common Illnesses: Cold, chest congestion or ear infection can often prevent infants from latching to the breasts.
- Tongue-tied babies: Medical condition known as tongue-tie can often make it an issue for babies to latch on breasts for milk.
2. Latching Problems Faced by Mother
Latching problems are not limited to only babies. Some mothers can face latching issues – be it either medical condition or psychological issues. Some of them are mentioned below…
- Mastitis: This condition is caused by bacterial infection which caused your breasts to crack and damage the nipples. When your baby latches your breasts then you may experience a lot of pain due to this condition. Hands-on pumping can be a great solution to this problem.
- Breast Engorgement: This condition enables your body to produce excess milk than you little one requires. Pumping out the excess milk using a breast pump can relieve the soreness and pain caused by fuller breasts.
- Flat/Inverted Nipples: Breast pumps are of a great help for people who have flat or inverted nipples. The suction power of these device draw out the nipples and extract milk from them.
- Irregular Breastfeeding: Emptying your breasts when you are not breastfeeding the baby can help you get rid of the futile milk and maintain sufficient milk supply.
3. Joining Office After Maternity Leave
You have to breast feed your baby for 1 year to provide proper health. But your maternity leave may not be extended for so long. After joining the office, you can ensure breast milk supply to your baby using a breast pump.
4. Embarrassment of Breast Feeding in Public Places
Nursing in public places can be quite challenging and embarrassing as well. If you have to travel, then it is better to pump out milk beforehand and feed it whenever or wherever required.
Once your baby is 6 months old, you will have to introduce semi-solids and semi-liquids. During this time, you have to reduce the number of nursing times in order to complement your baby’s first foods for successful weaning. During this time period, you have increase the breast feeding intervals and your milk should reduce without causing much pain. Breast pumping and storing the milk can be helpful for the same. First, baby will slowly forget the habit of breast feeding and pumping out milk will reduce the fullness of breasts.
6. Feeding Hospitalized and Premature Babies
Every one of us is aware that mother’s milk is essential for kids. And moreover, it is even more helpful for premature and hospitalized babies. The colostrum present in mother’s milk has high concentration of vitamins and anti-bodies which strengthen and increase immunity levels. Premature babies are too weak for sucking the breasts or bottle. It becomes necessary to pump out the breast milk so that doctor can administer it through feeding tube. Babies who are hospitalized may not be able to breastfeed. Pumping and storing milk help to feed them whenever required.
7. Multiple Births
Having twins can be more joy but handling double requirements of breast feeding can be a challenging task. You will have to provide milk for both or multiple babies whenever required. In these situations, pumping regularly ensures there is adequate amount of milk supply for all your babies. You can express the milk and ask for your partner, family member or caregiver to administer the feed. This ensures you get some proper sleep, especially during the initial weeks of post-delivery.
8. Lactation for Adopted Baby
Breastfeeding your adopted baby can be emotional and miracle. Breastfeeding, baby-wearing or pumping milk can induce lactation and lead to milk-supply. This way your adopted kid can get benefits of health and emotional connection with you.
9. Have Some Relaxation
Nursing, especially during the initial days of motherhood can be extremely demanding and tiring activity. So, you can pump out the milk and ask for your partner or caregiver or someone else to feed the baby. In this way, you can get some relaxing and healing time. Relaxing and doing some exercises also help your baby with more nutritious milk.
Things to Look For While Purchasing a Breast Pump
Just like any other nursery product or baby gear, there are several factors to consider before purchasing the best breast pump. This buying for breast pumps has been specially crafter to help mothers purchase the best nursing pump. We have mentioned them below for your convenience.
1. Frequency of Usage
The most important factor while opting for a breast pump is how frequently you plan to use it. If you’re a mother who is joining work full time or will stay away from your baby for long durations and aren’t able to nurse regularly, opt for an electric or battery-powered breast pump. On the other hand, if you plan to breastfeed regularly and stay at home with the baby and don’t want to supplement the baby’s nutrient requirements with formula, you could opt for a manual breast pump for occasional use.
2. Place of Usage
If you plan to use your breast pump at home, no worries – opt for manual or electric, whichever suits you best. However, if you’re not in the privacy of your home and need to use the device elsewhere, make sure you opt for a relatively noiseless and battery-operated pump or one with an AC adapter that can easily be plugged in for use.
3. Size of Breast Shields
A majority of the modern-day breast pumps come equipped with a standard size that is deemed to fit all. However, to ensure the perfect fit that helps in creating a vacuum to express milk more efficiently, you need to find out which model suits you best. The ideal size is wherein the nipple moves freely within the breast shield while in the process of pumping. If it doesn’t, a larger size is required.
4. Milk Volume
Some of the breast pumps are designed for only occasional use. However, some of them can handle heavy usage. So, understand how much you will have to pump the milk. Depending on that, you can purchase either manual or electric ones.
5. Suction Power
Most of the breast pumps have adjustable suction power which enables you to choose the right range as per your need or comfortability.
6. Suction Settings
Most of the breast pumps contain the ability to mimic baby’s natural nursing rhythm. It is designed into two modes: sloe and rapid. The rapid suction setting stimulates to begin fast milk flow and slower mode stimulates your breasts to produce most milk flow. In combination, these two phases provide effective breast pumping with comfort, increased milk flow and quicker pumping time. Some of the devices come with automatic pumping rhythm, suction and speed. While some of them come with pre-set options.
If you have to travel a lot or if you are working mom, then check out for a breast pump that is light in weight. Even carrying a 5-pound breast pump can be heavy. And moreover some of these device have a lot of components to carry. While purchasing a breast pump, make sure it is compact enough to carry in your handbag, briefcase or diaper bag.
8. Travel Friendliness
Some women may have to travel frequently due to personal or professional requirements. So, while choosing the breast pump, check out whether it can be packed without too much bulkiness.
This again depends on how and where you wish to use the pump. If it’s on the go, make sure it operates on batteries too and not only with an adapter. Also, it is advisable to check and confirm beforehand whether the accessories of the model you choose are freely available, in case a replacement is required at a later date.
Purchase a breast pump that has at least one-year warranty. Things that comes with long warranty are a sign of quality and durability
Different Types of Breast Pumps and Which one to Choose?
Depending on their working mechanism, breast pumps are mainly divided into two different types – manual breast pumps and electric breast pumps.
1. Manual Breast Pumps
Just like the name implies, this device helps to express the milk from breasts manually. If you don’t use this device regularly, then this product is the best option. These single pump devices let you pump the milk from one breast at a time. You can also control the suction power while pumping milk as per your convenience. Most mothers who used manual breast pumps have experienced comfort as the suction is much similar to baby suckling.
Working Principle of Manual Breasts
These breast pumps use squeezing or pulling mechanism for expressing the breast milk. Both of these techniques are comfortable enough, so you can choose any one as per your convenience. If you are using it for the first time, then below is the process of how to use a manual breast pump.
- Place the shield of breast pump over your nipple, covering the areola. Make sure the shield is of proper size for effective results.
- Using one hand to hold the shield, squeeze the handle with another hand. Do this in a rhythmic fashion to mimic your baby’s suckling and stimulate the breasts for proper milk expressing.
- Now you will be noticing that the milk is being collected into the bottle. If the milk isn’t properly flowing, then massage the breasts for couple of minutes to increase the flow.
- If you are experiencing that the suction is a bit slow, then reposition the breast shield and try again the suction.
- As this whole process is a bit time consuming, we recommend to sit comfortably.
- Repeat the squeezing process until your breasts are empty or once your fullness of breasts is relieved.
Features Present in Manual Breast Pump
Below are few important feature of a manual breast pump. Understanding them helps to choose the best one for yourself and your baby.
- Breast Shield: Also known as flange, this component has to be place on your nipple to express milk. It is designed carefully to ensure you experience no pain or irritation during the process. These shields come in different sizes and shapes. Choose according to your requirements.
- Valve: This component is connected to breast shield, through which the milk will flow into the bottle.
- Membrane: This component is present within the breast shield. This one opens and closes to mimic the sucking of a baby.
- Connector: It is usually present only is some of the breast pumps available in the market. This usually connects the shield and valve.
- Feeding Bottle: As the name implies, this is where expressed milk is collected.
- Handle: This component is ergonomically developed for squeezing mechanism to stimulate breasts for milk flow.
- Stand – Placing a breast pump on it will reduce the burden of unpacking and packing of the device after each use.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Manual Breast Pump
|Affordable than electric breast pumps||Using them for prolonged time can be tiresome for your hands.|
|As they don’t have any complicated components, these devices are much easy to clean and maintain.||It is a bit slow process|
|As it works on simple squeezing mechanism, they are much easier to operate.||You cannot remain hands-free while expressing the milk|
|Controlled pressure exerted on nipples|
|Minimum discomfort while using it|
|Compact in size and shape. Can be easily carried in hand bag or diaper bag.|
|Light in weight, so can carry to anywhere|
|Doesn’t make any noise. Can be used in discreet.|
2. Electric Breast Pumps
These devices operate on battery power or electricity. Based on their power consumption, these devices are further divided into 2 categories – electric and battery operated. These devices are best suited for working professionals and for mothers who have twins or multiple babies – as milk can be expressed without much discomfort on the hands.
Working Principle of an Electric Pump?
Electric breast pumps are work similarly to the baby’s suckling process. These pumps on a two-stage technology. In the first step, the breast shield mimics the suckling process of a baby – which creates vacuum and stimulates milk flow in the breasts. In the second step, the suckling patterns in regularized to extract milk continuously. If you are using this device for first time, then below is the information on how to use an electric breast pump.
- Wash your hands properly to avoid any contamination. Place the breast shield over the breasts. Make sure these shields are in the center and cover the nipple properly.
- Now, switch on the machine to stimulate the breasts for milk flow.
- Control the speed of suction using speed knobs according to your comfort. If it is your first time, then start with slow and gradually increase to your comfortable speed.
- Once the expressing milk is completed, remove the tubed from the shield.
- Clean and sterilize all the components separately for using next time.
Features Present in Electric Breast Pump
The components of an electric breast pump differ depending on its design and brand. Below are few features to consider while choosing an electric manual pump.
- Breast Sheild/Flange – This component covers the nipples or aerola while expressing the milk. These are available in different shapes and sizes. You have to choose any one as per your comfortability.
- Valve – It is a component that connects the shield and bottle. Milk flows through the valve into the bottle.
- Membrane – This component is present in the breast shield. Its working (opening and closing) mechanism imitates the suckling mechanism of the baby.
- Connect – In some of the breast pumps, a connector combines the valve and breast shield.
- Tubing – It connects the shields and motor unit in order to create vacuum for efficient solution.
- Feeding Bottle: As the name implies, this is where expressed milk is collected.
- Stand – Placing a breast pump on it will reduce the burden of unpacking and packing of the device after each use.
- Control Buttons – These are used to turn on/off the device and control the suction and speed of the pump.
- Motor Unit – It uses either power or battery to run the device. It generates suction required for pumping milk from the breasts.
- Main adapter – This is usually connected to an electric outlet for electricity.
- Battery Compartment – It is the part where batteries are inserted. These are found only in breast pumps that operate on batteries.
Different Types of Electric Breast Pumps
Based on working principle, electric breast pumps are further categorized into two types – single and double. Let’s have a clear look…
a. Single Electric Breast Pump
As the name suggests, these devices have only single breast shield/flange. So, it can express milk only from one breast. This is often a good choice for mothers who use it occasionally/once or twice in a day.
|Benefits of Single Electric Breast Pump||Drawbacks of Single Electric Breast Pump|
|Small in size, light in weight and portable to carry around.||Slower than double electric breast pumps. So, not a good option, if you want to express milk more frequently.|
|Can control the suction speed according to your comfortability.||As milk is expression is caused by vacuum, using for prolonged time continuously can cause discomfort to the nipples.|
|Reasonably priced.||Emits some noise that can disturb your baby’s sleep.|
|Hand-free pumping. You can hold your baby while operating the device.||Battery operated versions come with rechargeable batteries. Electric ones need an outlet which can be frustrating while travelling.|
b. Double Electric Breast Pump
Double electric breast pumps consume electricity for operation. They can express milk from both breasts at one time. That is why, they are considered quicker and more efficient.
|Benefits of Double Electric Breast Pumps||Drawbacks of Double Electric Breast Pumps|
|Quick and efficient. So, saves a lot of time.||Heavy in weight than other types of breast pumps. Not compact and difficult to carry around.|
|You can regular the suction pressure and speed as per your requirement.||Can cause discomfort if used frequently.|
|Hands free pumping. So don’t require much effort.||Much costlier than other types.|
|Higher milk output||Quite noisy as they have built-in motor.|
Manual Vs Electric – Which Breast Pump is Better?
It is difficult to pick up the best one among them until individual requirements are considered. That is why, we have provided a comparison table below. Tale a quick look and analyze which one suits you.
|Factor||Manual Breast Pumps||Electric Breast Pumps|
|Time or Duration||Expressing milk takes a lot of time||Expresses milk pretty quickly|
|Usage Frequency||Best suited for occasional use||Ideal choice for expressing milk quickly and frequently|
|Ease of Operation||Convenient handle is provided for expressing milk which can be tiring for hands||Automatically expresses milk without any manual help|
|Travel Friendliness||Compact, light in weight and fit in your handbag or diaper bag||Heavier and not easy to carry around|
|Cost||Affordably priced||Expensive than manual pumps|
Advantages of Breast Pumps
Breast pumps have been a godsend solution for people who are not able nurse their babies, regardless of the reason. Below are some of the main benefits of using a breast pump.
- Through this way, you can ensure adequate nutrition for your baby.
- Pumped milk can be administered to baby by anyone. This help the mother get some nap time to relax.
- During the initial months, milk supply can be high. Using breast pumps can prevent breast engorgements and pain caused by full breasts.
Disadvantages of Breast Pumps
Just like any other thing, even breast pumps have a few drawbacks. Check them out below…
- They have to be carefully sterilized for hygiene purposes. Improper cleaning can lead to bacteria growth and contaminate the milk, ultimately affecting the baby’s health.
- You can experience reduction of milk supply produced by your body.
- You have to carry along all the accessories of breast pumps with you all the time and wherever you go.
Do’s and Don’ts While Purchasing a Breast Pump
While purchasing a breast pump for the first time, then there can be a lot of confusion. If you are experiencing the same, then here are few quick tips to consider and avoid…
- Analyze how often you might be using the breast pump. For occasional use, manual breast pump is enough. However, for frequent use electric one is better.
- You should also consider the frequency usage as well. If you have to express milk quickly, then choose electric breast pump.
- Choose a breast pump that comes with easy operation.
- Before making the purchase, find out the best brand and check out the reviews.
- Check if the breast shield/flange size fits perfectly or not.
- Make sure the brand you choose provides at least 2-years warranty.
- If you are assembling the product for first time, then read the instruction manual carefully before assembling.
- Before using the device, wash your hands properly and make sure the breast pumps parts are sterilized.
- While placing the breast shields, make sure they are properly placed over the areola.
- Never purchase a breast pump that doesn’t provide proper demonstration and information.
- Avoid buying a used breast pump that is not recommended for multiple users. Never purchase the device from brands without proper recognition.
- While pumping breast milk, don’t stress up or get worked up as it can have an impact over the milk flow.
- Never start the usage from higher speed. It is always recommended to start from lower speed and gradually increase it to a comfortable pressure and speed.
Is it Ok to Use Pre-Owned Brest Pumps?
Actually, it is not recommended to use same breast pump for more than one baby or borrow a used pump. However, if you have to, then we recommend washing the parts thoroughly and make sure to replace the tubing. This applies to – if you are planning to use the breast pump for later siblings.
The milk and moisture present in the tubing can attract bacteria and virus which can ultimately encourage their growth. The contaminants are further travel through the tube and enter the internal mechanism – which cannot be removed, replaced or sterilized. That is why, there is a high possibility of health with used breast pumps. These devices are similar to toothbrush or lipstick (personal items) that we don’t share even with a close friend.
Hospital-grade rental pumps are specially designed to cater multiple users. And moreover, these devices last much longer as well. Along with this device, each mother is provided with her own milk collection kit – which has to be connected to the pump. These parts are specially designed to make sure the milk comes in contact with only collection kit and not the pump. This way – no cross-contamination is achieved.
Workplace Breast Pumping Tips for Moms
Breast pumping at your workplace is actually uncomfortable for many of us. In order to prevent any embarrassing situation, we have come with some quick tips and solutions. These tips are collected after reading several mother’s reviews and experiences. Read below…
- In order to become familiar with the device, we recommend you learn the pumping process during your maternity leave. Make sure to get properly familiarize with the product.
- We understand that breast pumping in office can be a bit challenging, but don’t stress yourself on it. Taking few breaks once in 2 – 3 hours will not affect your productivity.
- Single pumping can take a lot of time. It is better to purchase a double electric breast pump as it can save time. And make sure to purchase the best and powerful unit within your budget.
- Make sure the room you choose for pumping has a lock so you can relax and enjoy your privacy.
- Plan your pumping schedule strictly. Set different timings to take a break for pumping. Make sure these gaps are at least 15 minutes long. If your office uses electronic calendars, then mark time off during your breaks. This helps in preventing conflicts between your break times and meeting. Going too long without breast pumping can make you uncomfortable, so plan according to your body needs as well.
- During your pumping breaks, you can catch up on e-mails or read lightly so you can be on your work track. Avoid pumping while you are on call with clients or co-workers.
- If you are having trouble with milk, then get a t-shirt of your baby. Though a photograph is also helpful, it’s the smell of your baby that tricks your mind into letdown, thinking that your baby is nearby.
- If you won’t be able to find a private or quite space for pumping, then avoid going to company outings.
- To keep the milk safe and consumable, get an insulated ice pack box. You can also place it in the refrigerator, if your company has one.
- Some manufacturers say that you don’t have to wash breast pump between the sessions. Not having to wash the breast pump in the office will save a lot of time and also the embarrassment as well. As per a lactation expert, human milk is effective in killing bacteria for 12 about after it leaves the breast. But we actually don’t know how much effective it is when the milk starts drying or exposed to large amounts of pathogens. If you don’t have time to wash, then place the breast pump in a clean zip lock bag after use. You can also place it in refrigerator. However, it is very important to wash the device at least once in a day for hygienic purposes.
Some Frequently Asked Questions:
Cleaning requirements of a breast pump differ depending on the manufacturer and type of the device. Most of the manufacturers provide a manual containing all the cleaning and maintenance instructions. Make sure to read them thoroughly and follow them carefully for best results. If it doesn’t contain information on tip for cleaning breast pump, then here are some basic guidelines.
* Make sure to rinse each part of the device individually. If you wash it as a whole, then some parts will not get cleaned, leading to unhygienic conditions.
* Use warm water and mild soapy water to wash them before rinsing. Using hard detergents and liquids can damage the device.
* Some of these devices are dishwasher safe, you can place them on the top rack.
* Before re-using the devices, make sure the pieces are completely air dried to prevent any bacterial growth.
* Breast pumps of certain brands can also be sanitized in a baby bottle sanitizer or microwave.
Closed system refers to the device where – milk collecting parts are different from milk pumping parts. The barrier between them prevents dust, mold or spoiled milk from contamination. An open system refers that there is no such barrier. So the milk pumped out can get into the nooks and cracks in the unit which may encourage bacterial growth. However, you can purchase clean tubes and parts later. Or else you can sterilize individual pieces. However, you cannot sterilize the motor and it may contain microbes. It is better to purchase closed system rather than open system.
If you are pumping occasionally and prefer to feed babies directly from breast most of the time, then you should pump in the morning – as it is the time where you can produce most of the milk. You can pump between the breast feeding sessions by about an hour. You can either pump 1 hour before the baby is hungry or 1 hour after the breast feeding is complete. However, if you are only pumping milk instead of breast feeding then you should pump once in 2 – hours. Emptying your breasts efficiently provides signals to make more.
First, gently massage your breasts to let the milk flow from back of the breast to the front. Or else you can place a warm cloth to encourage the milk flow. Cover your nipple with the breast shield. Make sure it holds tight enough and doesn’t fall out. Use one hand to hold the breast shield in place and using the other hand squeeze the pump handle. This should make the milk flow. However, if the milk isn’t flowing then lean forward and let the gravity do the work. Keep on pumping until the flow starts slowing down.
First, cover the nipples with breast shield. If you have double pump, then cover the other nipple as well. Now turn on the machine. If the suction hurts, then reduce the power. However, if the milk is coming very slowly then turn up the suction. Once the milk slows down turn off the machine. To break the vacuum of the pump, use your fingers. Remember – never pull out the shields while the electric pump is still on unless you are in pain.
* Every mother using breast pump should follow certain tips to make sure the milk is not contaminated. Here are some of them…
* It is better to avoid application of any creams and lotions, especially the scented ones.
* Always wear a clean nursing bra every day to make sure your breasts are clean.
* Before using the device or breast feeding, always clean your hands.
* Make sure to wear loose, light and breathable clothes.
* As soon as you pump out the milk, clean the device immediately.
* If you are using breast pads, change them at least twice in a day.
* If you are sweaty, then shower quickly before feeding the baby.
* It is better to use warm water to rinse the nipples. And make sure to dry with a clean and soft towel.
If you have set wrong suction setting then it can cause pain. And moreover suction that is too hard can sometimes cause trauma to the breast tissues. However, this usually doesn’t last long. Pumping too much and too often can disrupt the milk flow. Filling your body with unnecessary breast feeding hormones, and block milk ducts leading to other issues. If your body is signaling pain, then stop pumping milk. If you ignore the signal and keep on pumping, then it can cause severe damage.
Actually, it doesn’t. Usually, breast milk flow is maintained and encouraged by nipple stimulation. This comes from either your baby breastfeeding or from the use of breast pump. Match the pumping schedule as per your baby’s hunger which makes sure you are not out of breast milk supply.
If your baby is gaining weight on your breast milk, the supply is considered enough. However, if you are worried that the supply is not enough or if you are feeling a shortage of milk supply then here are some tips to increase…* Make sure your baby is nursing well. A good latch ensures the milk from your breasts is thoroughly completed.
* Aim for nursing once in 2 hours during the day and once in 3 hours during night.
* You can ask your doctor for prescribing medicines for increasing the supply.
* You can try pumping for a few minutes after the last drop. This increases the flow for sure.
* Take plenty of fluids and have a balanced diet to maintain the milk supply.
* Switch the sides during the feeding to encourage the supply.
If you are doing it for the first time, then you can have a terrifying experience. However, you will get used to it very quickly. Make sure you don’t have any clothing under the breast shield. It is better to lean a bit forward to avoid milk spillage. Though all the parts of the breast pump can be sterilized, it is better to check the manufacturer instructions. When you are carrying breast pump with you while travelling, keep the parts in a zip lock bag or air tight containers. You can also invest in storage bags for freezing milk which can be refrigerated for a maximum of 2 days.
The answer for this question depends primarily whether it is for a single use or multiple use. And if you are thinking of renting it then avoid getting a single user pump. Make sure it is intended for multiple purpose. If it is intended for single user, then there is a risk of contamination. If it is designed for multiple user pumps, then there is no risk – as they are specially developed in a way that milk will not penetrate inside the pumping mechanism.
Usually, pumped breast milk stays fresh for at least 6 – 8 hours at room temperature (i.e., up to 77 degrees Fahrenheit). However, if you refrigerate the milk as soon as possible, then it will stay up to 24 hours. Make sure the breast milk stays all time no matter where you place it, to avoid contamination. If you are going to be pumping without a refrigerator, then consider a cool bag with ice packs. With proper insulation, breast milk will stay good for 24 hours – as long as ice packs stay in contact with the container having breast milk.
Nope, you don’t require any prescription for purchasing these devices. You can get them in any local pharmacy store. Make sure to research and read the user reviews before purchasing a breast pumping device.
Few Words Before Wrapping Up…
No mother would want to stop nutritious breast milk to their babies. But in some situations like re-joining the office, travelling, medical conditions and other such issues can prevent mother from directly breast feeding.
However, with breast pumps innovation, mother can longer worry about their babies growing health. These devices help mothers to provide breast milk, even if they are going out of house for complete day.
Using this device, mothers can express milk and store them in refrigerator for 24 hours. Later up on requirement, this milk can be administered to the baby using feeding bottle or spoon.
With several choices present in the market, you can often get confused on which one to purchase. Breast pumps come in manual and electric versions. You can choose any one as per your convenience. Apart from that, you should also consider other factors as well. We have mentioned them in our buying guide clearly.
If these products don’t suit your requirements, then analyze the products as per the factors mentioned in our buying guide.
If you still have any doubts or questions, then write to us in the comment section below. We are happy to clarify them. For more such articles and reviews, keep visiting our website.