The most wonderful feeling in the world is holding your bundle of joy close to your heart. This is called baby wearing and has been in practice all over the world since ancient times. It has again gained popularity in the modern day as a convenient form of baby transport for both the parents and the baby.
A baby carrier is a supporting device worn by an adult for holding their infant close to their torso. There are a great number of benefits of using a baby carrier – development of a more intimate maternal bond due to physical closeness, easier learning of facial expressions and language by the baby, practical and convenient for the wearer to do her daily chores while keeping the baby securely fastened and privacy while breastfeeding as well.
There are a number of factors that need to be kept in mind while choosing the best baby carrier for your baby. To help you choose, we’ve listed the top 10 best baby carriers you can buy in India today, along with a buying guide of what to look for in the process of choosing the right product.
Things to Look For When Choosing a Baby Carrier
1. Types of Baby Carriers
Baby carriers can broadly be classified into five main types based on the different baby carrying positions.
- Wrap: A long piece of wide and strong fabric that is worn around the body over both shoulders. It wraps around you and your baby and can be worn in a number of different ways. While it makes it easy for breastfeeding moms to feed their babies, this type of baby carrier can be time-consuming to wear and uncomfortable for slightly older babies due to lack of adequate cushioning and support.
- Sling: A single piece of wide fabric worn over one shoulder across the torso. This eventually forms a pouch on your hip or front, making the loose fitting comfortable to breastfeed. A downside is that it may not be comfortable for heavier babies, exerting more stress on one shoulder and has no additional padding.
- Backpack: Meant for slightly older babies and toddlers, this is a convenient option that consists of a metal frame with cushioning to be worn on the back. It gives both mother and baby more freedom to move around but is not suitable for young infants who do not have full control over their head and neck movements.
- Soft-structured front carrier: Quite similar to a backpack, with additional buckles and padded straps attached to the main body of the carrier. Worn close to the chest with the baby facing inwards or outwards. A slight disadvantage is that these may be bulkier and are not very comfortable while breastfeeding.
- Mei-Tai: A mix between a wrap and a soft-structured carrier, this has four straps attached to the main body of the carrier and these can be tied up in a number of ways to carry around your baby.
Most of the modern day baby carriers are a mix of two or more of the above carrying types; for instance, they may support both front and back carrying options. Slightly higher end ones also offer grow with the baby flexibility, allowing you to use the same carrier and vary its adjustments from your baby’s infancy to his or her toddler years. These are pretty cost-effective and useful.
3. Comfort is the key – Both for Baby & Wearer
More than anything else, the baby carrier you choose should be comfortable for both the baby as well as the wearer. Sturdy fabric to distribute baby’s weight evenly, adjustable and padded shoulder straps, a broad and comfortable waist strap for adequate lumbar support, padded head rest, arm holes and leg openings for your baby – these are just some of the features which you must look for while opting for a baby carrier. If there is unequal distribution of the baby’s weight, the wearer may experience prolonged stress in the lower back which can prove to be very painful in the long run.
4. Strong & Sturdy
Keeping your baby close and secure is very important in a baby carrier. The carrier should be sturdily built with strong straps and buckles to keep the baby in place. Ensure that the carrier supports your baby’s back well, keeping the baby’s chin off your chest but close enough to kiss your baby’s forehead. This is the optimum distance which the carrier should always be able to maintain.
5. Ease of Usage & Hassle-free Cleaning
It is always advisable to opt for a baby carrier which can be worn and taken off easily by the wearer without requiring help from another person. Preferably, all adjustments should be possible with just one hand. Also, it is recommended to opt for a machine washable baby carrier since these tend to become messy with regular use.
Top 10 Baby Carriers in India
|Baby Carriers||Weight of Product||Weight it can carry||Buy Now|
|Infantino||590 g||5.4 to 20.4 kg||Check the Price|
|R for Rabbit Upsy Daisy||699 g||Upto 15 kg||Check the Price|
|LuvLap Elegant||621 g||Upto 15 kg||Check the Price|
|Infantino Flip Front 2||821 g||3.6 to 14.5 kg||Check the Price|
|LuvLap Galaxy||649 g||Upto 12 kg||Check the Price|
|R for Rabbit – The Ergonomic||572 g||6 to18 kg||Check the Price|
|Ergobaby Original||689 g||5.5 to 20 kg||Check the Price|
|Boba 4G (Tweet)||612 g||3.2 to 20.4 kg||Check the Price|
|BabyBjorn||544 g||3.6 to 11.3 kg||Check the Price|
|Infantino Cuddle Up||640 g||5.4 to 18.1 kg||Check the Price|
The first product in our list is the 4-in-1 Convertible Carrier from Infantino, a brand well-known for baby products in various categories. Ideal for kids weighing upto about 20 kg, this unisex convertible seat baby carrier is machine washable.
This flip advanced carrier comes equipped with four different carrying options depending on the size of the baby – facing in narrow seat with head support up (for newborns), facing in wide seat with head support down (for slightly older babies), facing out narrow seat for babies who can control their head movements and facing in back carry wide seat for toddlers and older babies.
A major advantage is the grow-with-baby flexibility this baby carrier offers. Additional useful features include a waist belt for optimal support and comfortable padded straps that can be adjusted for longer durations of use.
This Infantino model comes with a Wonder Cover 2-in-1 bib to protect your clothes and the carrier from your baby’s drool. It is light in weight and easy to carry around while travelling.
- Unisex flip advanced convertible carrier with 4 carrying options
- Grow-with-baby flexibility (infancy to toddler)
- Can carry weight upto ~20 kg
- Waist belt for additional support
- Comfortable adjustable padded straps for longer use
- Wonder Cover 2-in-1 bib included
- Machine washable
- Light in weight, easily portable
- No neck support for baby
The Upsy Daisy Smart Hip Seat Baby Carrier is a product of R for Rabbit, a brand that manufactures safety standards certified portable baby gear products. This model is available in two colours – brown cream and grey cream.
This new generation ergonomic baby carrier is perfect for babies between 3 to 24 months old. Its detachable hip seat provides a sturdy and comfortable seating position for your baby. This ensures the parent carrying the baby does not suffer from unwanted hip joint or lower back pressure that can be painful at times.
As the baby grows, this carrier is designed such that it spreads your baby’s weight evenly throughout to ease the stress from the wearer’s back. Its shoulder straps are easily adjustable with extra padding and are specially developed to provide good support to your baby’s neck, head, hips and spine.
A big plus in this baby carrier’s favour is the multi-positional versatility that it offers. This lets you carry your baby in many ways – face in or face out while front carrying. Made of 100 per cent breathable cotton fabric, this R for Rabbit baby carrier is comfortable as well as long-lasting.
- Sturdy & comfortable detachable hip seat
- Multi-positional versatility: Front carry with face in & face out options
- Ideal for 3-24 months old babies (upto 15 kg)
- Eases hip joint or lower back pressure on person carrying
- Spreads weight evenly as baby grows
- Adjustable shoulder straps with extra padding
- Made of 100% breathable cotton fabric
- Available in 2 colours – brown cream & grey cream
- Not machine washable
- Cannot be used for back carrying
This Elegant Baby Carrier belongs to the LuvLap brand, a popular name in outdoor, indoor and other baby care products. It is available in a variety of different colours – dark blue, light blue, black, green, purple and red.
This carrier has 4 carrying positions for your baby – facing parent, facing out, horizontal feeding position and piggy back position. It has 2 easily adjustable wide shoulder straps that are made up of a breathable fabric mesh. It can be used for a baby weighing upto 15 kg.
A belt at the waist provides sturdy lumbar support, easing back pressure. The hard board for your baby’s head and back support has air holes for good ventilation and can be adjusted as well as removed if required.
An additional safety feature is the adjustable buckle that opens on one side. Both the armholes and the leg openings have added cushioning for the baby’s comfort. The pocket positioned at the front of the carrier is very useful for carrying necessary items.
- 4 different carrying positions, both front & back (for upto 15 kg)
- 2 adjustable & breathable wide shoulder straps
- Belt for lumbar support at the waist
- Ventilated hard board with good ventilation for baby’s back
- Adjustable side-opening buckle for extra safety
- Extra cushioning in arm holes & leg openings
- Pocket at front for carrying necessary items
- Available in 6 different colours
- No manual or instructions provided to assemble
- Quality of stitching could have been better
Another Infantino product, this Infantino Flip Front 2 Back Carrier is well suited for babies weighing from 3.6 to 14.5 kg, which comes to approximately babies aged 6 months and above.
Its 3-in-1 design allows you to carry your baby in 3 different positions – facing in, facing out or backpack style. The interiors of this baby carrier are made up of revolutionary BreatheMesh fabric which has vents for proper ventilation. This makes it comfortable to use even in warm weather.
For hassle-free cleaning, all you need to do is simply wipe the carrier with a damp cloth. However, if it becomes dirty, you can also machine wash it and hang it up to dry. The extra-padded shoulder straps are comfortable to wear and distribute weight evenly throughout for least stress.
A conveniently positioned pocket comes in handy for storing baby products and necessities while on the go. A bonus is the detachable sides which help to remove your baby from the carrier even while he/she is asleep. Additional features like a stylish Wonder Cover bib and a snug adjustable chest strap make this a good purchase.
- 3-in-1 design with 3 carrying options (face in/out & back)
- Revolutionary BreatheMesh fabric for extra ventilation
- Ideal for babies 6 months & above (upto 14.5 kg)
- Handy pocket for storing essentials
- Extra-padded shoulder straps & detachable sides
- Wonder Cover bib & snug chest strap
- Hassle-free cleaning, machine washable
- Adjustable strap lengths could have been longer
- Buckles may cause slight pressure in front facing position
The LuvLap Baby Carrier Galaxy model comes in five different colours – blue, black, brown, khaki and red. It is suitable for carrying babies that weigh upto approximately 12 kg.
This carrier can be used to carry your baby in 3 different positions – front facing in, front facing out as well as piggy back. The head support has extra cushioning for additional protection to the baby’s head and is detachable in nature.
An adjustable side opening buckle provides extra safety for your baby. The inner seat, armholes and leg openings are also comfortably cushioned with soft fabric. A detachable bib is useful in preventing and cleaning up a mess.
Strong padded shoulder and waist belts provide adequate lumbar support to the person who wears this carrier. This LuvLap baby carrier is certified under European Standards to make it safe for little ones.
- 3 carrying options (face in/out & back) upto 12 kg
- Detachable head support & extra cushioning
- Adjustable side-opening buckle for extra safety
- Comfortably cushioned inner seat, armholes & leg openings
- Soft detachable bib
- Sturdy padded shoulder & waist belts for lumbar support
- Available in 5 colours
- Support material not adequately stiff
- Distribution of weight not equal throughout
The Hug Me Ergonomic Baby Carrier from R for Rabbit is a good quality product with only a few hassle-free adjustments for usage. It is available in two colours – cream and green.
True to its name, it provides a unique closeness between the wearer and the baby. Its one size versatility ensures an easy fit for all sizes. Compact and light in weight, this is a product which can conveniently be carried along while travelling with your baby.
Suitable for babies weighing 6-18 kg, it comes equipped with 3 different options for carrying – front face in, front face out and back carrying. The wide padded shoulder and lumbar straps are 2-way adjustable. Extra padding at just the right positions also ensures additional comfort for your baby.
Optimized for a baby’s natural ‘froggy’ position, this baby carrier is made up of breathable premium machine washable cotton material for a cozy feeling. This R for Rabbit Hug Me Baby Carrier is ideal for growing babies between 6-24 months.
- Ergonomic design for unique closeness
- 3 options for carrying (face in/out & back)
- Hassle-free adjustments, made of machine washable premium cotton
- One-size versatility ensures easy fit for all
- Compact & light in weight, easily portable
- Perfect for babies weighing 6-18 kg (6-24 months old)
- 2-way adjustable padded wide shoulder & lumbar straps
- Optimized for a baby’s natural ‘froggy’ position
- Available in 2 colours
- Buckles at the back a bit complicated
- Back support could have been better
Ergobaby is a leading name in the baby consumer products area that specializes in comfortable and ergonomic baby carriers. The Ergobaby Original Baby Carrier comes in 10 different exciting colours – black/camel, marine, red, galaxy grey, night sky, sea skipper, star burst and others.
If you’re looking for a cozy and snug baby carrier for regular use around the house or outdoors, this model could be a good choice. A big advantage is the extra-large zippered pocket it has as compared to other carriers. This is very useful for carrying around a baby’s accessories, feeding and otherwise.
Breastfeeding mothers can easily feed their babies while holding them in this carrier. Also, these are suitable for newborn infants to relatively older kids (4 to 48 months). Cleaning this carrier is very convenient as it is machine washable.
You can choose between either the front, back or hip carrying positions. It is designed in such a way that the baby’s weight is distributed evenly throughout, to prevent stress on the person who wears it. Made of long-lasting cotton canvas, the padding and extra cushioning in the straps make this a comfortable yet slightly expensive buy.
- 3 carrying positions – front, back & hip
- Designed to evenly distribute weight throughout
- Extra-large zippered pocket for baby’s essentials
- Suitable for 4 to 48 months old babies (upto 20 kg)
- Durable cotton canvas with comfortable padding
- Machine washable
- Available in 10 different colours
- Relatively expensive
- Slightly bulky & closed from all sides
Boba is a family-owned company that produces high quality baby products like wraps, carriers and hoodies. The Boba Baby Carrier 4G comes in a number of vibrant designs such as tweet, foxen, peak or simple slate black.
This baby carrier is made of 100 per cent cotton and hence is extremely comfortable for your baby. It is made of natural fabrics without any harmful chemicals or dyes. You can choose to wear it either as a front inward carrier (7 to 25 pounds) or as a back carrier (25 to 45 pounds).
The seat is ergonomically designed in the natural frog-leg seated position of an infant or a toddler. It comes in various sizes ranging from extra small to double extra-large. The shoulder straps and waist belts are easily adjustable.
This carrier comes with an integrated infant insert, snap-on sleeping hood and removable foot straps. The zippered waist belt pocket is also useful. Machine-washable and extremely comfortable, the Boba Baby Carrier 4G may be a tad expensive but is value for money.
- 2 carrying positions – front inwards or back
- Comes in sizes from XS to XXL ( ~7 to 45 pounds)
- Made of 100% chemical & dye-free cotton
- Easily adjustable shoulder straps & waist belts
- Comes with integrated infant insert, snap-on sleeping hood & foot straps
- Zippered waist belt pocket
- Machine washable
- Available in vibrant designs
- Quite expensive
- No front facing out position while carrying
- Shoulder strap adjustment buckles not detachable
This Baby Carrier Original is a product of BabyBjorn, an award-winning Swedish family-owned company well-known for manufacturing and marketing baby products. It is available in a variety of colours like black, pin stripes, dark blue, dark grey, silver and the like.
Small and compact in size, this is an ideal pick for travelling with your baby. It is easy to use with minimal adjustments. It has 2 front-facing carrying options – facing in or facing out. An advantage is the fact that entire front section can be unbuckled easily even while the baby is asleep to make him/her lie down comfortably.
Ideal for newborns, this BabyBjorn carrier specializes in sturdy and adjustable head and neck support for very young babies and their developing muscles. The coloured buckles have a smart safety click as a precautionary feature. This ensures secure fastening and safety of the baby.
This particular model is easy to put on and take off by yourself, without anybody’s help. Overall, a great buy for babies ranging as young as infants to slightly older toddlers.
- Small & compact in size; easy portability
- Minimal adjustments, ease of usage
- 2-front carrying options – face in/out (3.6 to 11.3 kg)
- Ideal for newborns to young toddlers
- Sturdy adjustable head & neck support for developing muscles
- Smart safety click feature in buckles
- Easy-on, easy-off
- Available in many colours
- Only front carrying positions
Another good quality product from Infantino, the Cuddle Up Ergonomic Hoodie Carrier has a wide and comfortable seat to support your baby’s hips in the natural ‘M’ position. It ensures a snug fit for the wearer as well.
A unique feature of this Cuddle Up model is an arched canopy hood at the top. This serves the purpose of keeping the baby warm and protected, without blocking any view. A naturally rounded back makes sure your baby is well supported from knee to knee.
A broad waist belt for lumbar support and extra cushioning in the adjustable shoulder straps transfers weight optimally to the wearer’s hips to ease stress. This machine washable baby carrier is best suited for infants weighing 5.4 to 18.1 kg.
It provides two carrying options – front and backpack. The cheerful removable teddy bear hood of this carrier makes it a good option for babies. The useful hoodie-inspired pocket is a good place to store your baby’s essentials.
- ‘M’ position wide seat support for baby
- Unique removable arched teddy bear canopy hood for protection
- Naturally rounded back for knee to knee support
- 2 carrying options – front & backpack
- Ideal for babies weighing between 5.4 to 18.1 kg
- Broad waist belt for lumbar support
- Extra cushioning in adjustable shoulder straps
- Hoodie-inspired pocket to store baby’s essentials
- Slightly bulky
The Infantino 4-in-1 Convertible Carrier is our top pick from this list of best baby carriers because of its 4 different carrying options, including both front and back carrying. Its grow-with-baby flexibility feature supports a baby from infancy to toddler years, having the capacity to bear weight upto almost 20 kg. With adjustable padded shoulder straps and a waist belt for additional support, this baby carrier is also light in weight and easily portable. It comes with a Wonder Cover 2-in-1 bib and is machine washable as well.