“Check out different types of blenders and get to know which is suitable for your unique requirements.”
Blenders are an absolute essential appliance in every kitchen, especially if you are a nutrition freak.
They are capable of blending food ingredients effortlessly without losing the nutrients. Because, heat is not generated while blending. When it comes to mixers– the heat generated while processing is the main reason for loss of taste and nutrients.
Majorly, there are only two versions of blenders – immersion blenders and countertop blenders. However, within this difference, there are subcategories as well.
It is important to know their differences, strengths and functionalities to choose the best blender suitable for your needs. In this article, we have provided detail information on each variant.
Types of Blenders
We are here to help you get creative and versatile in the kitchen with the various types of blenders uniquely suited for different purposes. Read below to know which blender works for you.
1. Hand Blender or Immersion Blender
Also known as the “stick” blenders or the “immersion” blenders, these are go-to tools that are incredibly compact and powerful. One of the reasons these are the most popular and most considered personal blenders is because they help you move freely around in your kitchen while using it.
As the name suggests, they come with a handheld stick, which gives the comfort of holding the handle in hand. With a handle at one end, it has a chopping blade on the other end of the device surrounded by a safety guard. This peculiar design helps you blend food directly in a bowl or pot with extreme versatility and great convenience.
They are available in corded and cordless options. The length of the blender ranges from 7” long to 29” long. You have to choose based on your requirements.
What is a Hand Blender Best Used for?
One of the best usages of the hand blender is to blend soups and mix hot foods or liquids. The ease of this blender-style enables quick mixes like blending the powder with liquid, preparing protein shakes, blending liquid batters, etc.
While the cordless appliance helps you move freely around in your kitchen when using it, a plug-in variety may make you stick to a certain place. Though the cordless blenders are heavier to use than the latter, they work anywhere in the kitchen, making the usage invaluable. These products often come with rechargeable batteries, but may not have the longest lifespan. So, users, make sure you recharge them for a good amount of time before using them.
Some hand blenders come with a perfectly-sized cup where the end of the handle will fit into it. This makes whisking very easy, blends smoothies effectively, and whips out cream the way you want for perfect icing.
- They have less pressure build-up when using and hence maximize the efficiency of preparation.
- They work much better with mixing hot liquids. Actually, you can directly put them in the pot while cooking.
- The long design helps you prepare all in one place.
- They are very easy to clean and are often dishwasher safe. Or else just blending hot water with some liquid detergent will do the trick.
- They acquire less storage space in the kitchen.
- Less likely to result in any kinds of injuries or burns to related to spillage of hot liquid
- One may need to maintain pressure on the button in order to keep the blender going. This can be annoying and exhausting for some.
- Not every appliance can crush ice.
- Not suitable for making a seed-free smoothie
- You may have to pick different vessels to blend in for different recipes
If you want to blend hot drinks or make lump-free soups, sauces, or gravy, then this is a go-to tool. The price range of hand blenders starts from Rs. 600 to Rs. 2500. You can check out the best hand-held blenders HERE.
2. Single-Serve Blender
Popularly known as bullet blenders, a single-serve blender is a small-sized personal blender specifically designed to blend smaller amounts. It comes in various sizes, where most of them have the capacity to make a single or double serve drink. These appliances make great smoothies.
A single-serve blender is most unique in the way it works and consists of a bullet-shaped container, a chopping blade, and a blender base. After you fill all the ingredients in the container, screw the chopping blade to the top. Now, turn the whole setup upside down before inserting it into the bullet blender base.
Single serve blenders have a simple and portable design. Their capacity ranges from 0.4 to 0.7 liters. And the jars are often used as drinking or travel mugs. When it comes to power consumption 200 to 400 watts is sufficient enough. But if you want to crush ice, then we recommend to go for 350 watts or more.
What is a Single-Serve Blender Best Used for?
Though they blend only in small quantities, they are strong enough to crunch, chop and blend frozen fruits or nuts, producing some of the silkiest smoothies. This blender can crush ice and even chop vegetables.
You can use them not only for creating very liquid recipes but also for making quick omelette or pancake batter.
The popular usage of these types of blenders is for baby food preparation. If you want some fresh juices or food puree for your baby, these single-serve blenders easily make them within seconds.
- They are fast and can turn your chunky ingredients to smooth liquids in a flash.
- They are easy to use and clean.
- The position of the blade is secure inside the container, avoiding any injury or harm. So, even children can use it without any worries.
- Ideal for apartment and dorm living.
- A perfect companion for all smoothie lovers.
- The power of a full-sized blender in a compact design.
- Has durable stainless-steel blades.
- Not all single-serve blenders function equally, i.e., can’t liquefy extremely solid ingredients.
- Can be loud and noisy.
- Leaking can be the most common problem with such type of personal blenders.
- When you screw the blade unit too tightly, it may be impossible to get its head off.
- You can only make one glass at a time.
The best thing about a single-hand server is that you can prepare almost anything with it. From smoothies to crushing ice, nuts, or frozen fruits to chopping vegetables, this kitchen gadget does everything.
For those who want to create nutrient-packed smoothies perfect for your busy lifestyles and your kids, a single-serve blender is the best pick. The price range of single serve blenders range from Rs 500 to Rs 1000.
3. Portable Blender
Battery-powered portable blenders are a new edition of fitness canon to hit the market. They are perfectly capable of blending smoothies on the go, you can take them anywhere you want.
These types of blenders consist of a beautiful glass tube body, a blade base containing motor and a lid. One end of the tube screws into the blade base, and the other end into the lid.
What is a Portable Blender Best Used for?
Whether you are planning to go for holiday adventures, day trips, camping trips, or hikes, these portable blenders are just perfect. You can even carry them to the gym for blending a post-workout refreshment drink.
Being very light in weight and smaller than the average hydro flask, it is what makes them actually portable and most considerable blender.
This is small yet powerful. Parents can use this to make their baby food right on the go. Just add few veggies and a little water, and binge, your instant baby food is ready. At single time, you can prepare 300 to 400ml of drinks and they consume less amount of power.
- Easy-to-use, clean, and carry.
- You can charge these devices using any standard USB charger.
- It is lightweight and a self-contained unit with no cables.
- Some blenders can pulverize ice.
- Versatile enough to move the blender around while it is operating.
- Being small and portable, they are suitable especially for traveling people and compact kitchens.
- Some blenders even come with a self-cleaning option.
- Leaking can be a concern, hence make sure to tighten both the ends.
- Not adequate for very thick liquids or chopping nuts.
- Might require frequent charging.
- Not suitable for hot liquids.
Whether you want to whip delicious smoothies on the go or blend nutritious protein shakes or just make some baby food (puree) while you’re out and about, a portable blender is the best bet for you.
You cannot stop singing praises about its compact size, the clear glass container, and most importantly, its efficiency. The price range of portable blenders starts from Rs 500 to Rs 1000.
4. Countertop Blender
The countertop blender is the most commonly seen blender in almost all homes. It is a well-known kitchen gadget which people love to add to their kitchen countertop arsenal.
These blenders are available in plastic, stainless steel or glass variants. Glass blenders are usually more stable as they are heavy in weight. Plastic containers are prone to scratching and absorbing smell from the ingredients. Stainless containers are the most preferred ones but the visibility of food is not possible.
The countertop has a jar usually fixed on top of a motor base. Built to sit on the top of the counter because of their heavyweight, these prevent any accidental spills.
The container is placed on the base which contains a motor and controls are present on the surface of the blender. Countertop blenders come with 3 to 16 different speed levels however higher speed levels settings doesn’t mean increased utility.
Low powered blenders need some liquid for blending the ingredients into smooth paste. The blades will create a whirlpool effect for moving the solids from top to bottom. This will result in an even and smooth mixture. High powered speeds can grind tough ingredients like pulses, grains and ice.
What is a Countertop Blender Best Used for?
Having a larger capacity of almost 2-liter, these blenders are a great option for making drinks for the entire family or party.
Since most countertop blenders are custom-made for cold or cool liquids, one must be very cautious before using these devices for blending hot liquids.
The jars do have lids that seal well. This keeps the ice and other smoothie ingredients from flying around. However, when blending hot ingredients, the steam from them can cause a huge pressure to build up, which can further result in an explosion.
You can use countertop blenders for making smoothies, milkshakes, frozen drinks, grinding, makes mayonnaise, sauce, blending vegetables, marinades, pureeing food and many others. Some all-purpose blenders can make green smoothies from fibrous vegetables as well.
- They have multiple speed settings, ensuring easy and hassle-free blending of a variety of ingredients
- They are for multi-purpose use
- They come in different shapes and sizes and can blend large volumes
- They are easy to maintain and clean
- They are cost-effective.
- When used properly, these blenders will run for several years with minimal complaints
- They are heavyweight and pretty bulky. If you have less kitchen counter space, then this is not a good option, especially if you are going to use it just couple of times in a month.
- Cleaning these can be hectic, especially for newbies.
- One has to stay cautious when blending hot liquids into it.
- They are loud and noisy.
One has to get amazed by the versatile uses of countertop blenders. From blending a smooth chewable ingredient to a hard one, these blenders make it time-saving and quick for you. People use it primarily to prepare juice and smoothies with crushed ice. When blending hot liquids, see to it that you let the built-up steam escape from time-to-time.
5. Commercial Blender
Commercial blenders are similar to countertop blenders in design and building but have a stronger construction. They are durable, strong and an expansion to the countertop blenders.
Built for blending in larger restaurants and bars, these blenders come with powerful performance motors and have sharp blades. They are the strongest type of blender of all the different blenders available and can grind and blend almost everything.
What is a Countertop Blender best used for?
Specially designed to hold larger volumes, they can blend a large amount of food.
- Can quickly blend smoothies, drinks, and frozen cocktails
- These are a better option for high users
- From soft cooked pumpkin to roasted nuts for butter, these machines cope up with almost everything
- They are strong enough to withstand heavy and daily usage
- They are very expensive. A more powerful motor and more features come with a much higher price tag.
- They have a heavy base
- Certain ingredients can stick to the blender, making it difficult to clean
Commercial blenders offer a large variety of uses over the previous blenders and can do all the things that the earlier could not do. They have a larger capacity and versatility. They give users the freedom and ease to blend different food, that includes tough ones too. They can even blend at a lengthy blending time without affecting the blender’s performance.
6. Blender Bottle
This is a portable blender perfect for the gym-goers to help them mix or blend their protein drinks correctly without any lumps. This manual kind of blender consists of a plastic cup with a blender ball inside it. It has a tight screw-on lid to ensure a leak-proof seal. After adding liquid and powder to the bottle, the user should make sure the contents inside the cup are securely shut before shaking the bottle.
The key feature of the blender bottle is the blender ball made of metal wire. The wire whisk ensures you get a smooth protein shake after shaking the container. Also, it allows you to mix all the components of the health drink uniformly without any chance of leakage.
What is a Blender Bottle Best Used for?
Protein shakes, health/weight loss supplements, or pre/post-workout drinks, this is a must-have for gym freaks to blend the ingredients to silky-smooth perfection.
- The blender bottle is very easy-to-use
- They are portable and you can easily carry them anywhere in your bag or your hands.
- The lid is leak-proof and prevents the chances of spilling.
- The wire blender ball ensures a smooth mixture of drinks without any unwanted lumps formed in it.
- Not as effective as blender blades
- Ideal for mixing protein shakes and supplements only
Blender bottles are an extremely popular choice for gym-goers to prepare protein shakes. The most popular ones often come in different sizes and colors. Some are even
microwave and freezer safe.
I am sure this article gave you ample information to help you choose the perfect blender for your needs. If you still feel confused, remember these key points before you make a purchase – your budget, available space in the kitchen, type of usage, and the frequency of usage.
It is always advisable to invest in a quality blender to get a quality output. Do not get fooled by the prices, but rather consider a perfect and quality blender that offers great value to your money.