I hate to stand near the stove and stir the rice every few minutes to get cooked. It is just boring and I’m actually not that great at it. Sometimes I end up forgetting the stove causing overflow of water and at times worse, burning the utensil. But that all changed with a Rice Cooker.
I’m betting that you are someone who have the same problem as I. That explains why you are here searching for the best rice cooker in India. Well, welcome to your journey of picking the best rice cooker available on the internet. A boon for housewives, bachelors and students alike
So how is a quality rice cooker different from a regular electric cooker? The difference lies in the build quality, electrical components and the wiring used, timer facility etc.,
After spending about 3 days just for the research, I came up with a list of top 7 electric Rice cookers available online just for you. I’ve also included a comprehensive buying guide which is available at the end of the article. This will help you look at the important aspects of an electric cooker before you decide on buying one.
Top 7 Best Electric Rice Cookers in India
|Best Electric Rice Cookers||Capacity||Keep Warm ability||Warranty||Buy Now|
|Panasonic 450-Watt Automatic Cooker||2 Litres||No||2 Years||Check the Price|
|Prestige Delight Electric Rice Cooker||2 Litres||Yes||1 Year||Check the Price|
|Bajaj Majesty RCX 1 Rice Cooker||0.8 Litres||No||2 Years||Check the Price|
|KENT Personal Rice Cooker 0.9-litres||0.9 Litres||Yes||1 Year||Check the Price|
|Preethi Touch EPC005 6-Liter Electric Pressure Cooker||6 Litres||Yes||1 Year||Check the Price|
|Philips 1.8-Litre Electric Rice Cooker||1.8 Litres||Yes||2 Years||Check the Price|
|BMS Lifestyle Multi-Function Electric Rice Cooker||0.6 Litres||Yes||1 Year||Check the Price|
Topping the list is the Panasonic SR-WA10 Automatic Cooker. I have this as a personal favourite as I gifted to my mom a couple of months ago.
It works perfectly well and its 2 litre, 600 gram rice capacity can feed a family of three and for over the last 4 months, we have faced no issues with the item.
Apart from the rice bowl, the cooker also gives you a scoop spoon and a strainer plate to be placed at the top of the rice while being cooked. The handles of the cooker are ergonomic as they have ample hole space to act as a scoop holder.
The heating of the cooker is intelligent and I have used this to boil eggs amidst cooking rice and the eggs turned out hard and perfectly boiled.This compact sized cooker can also be used to cook other easy cook delicacies such as pulao or biryani (mixture prepared beforehand)
Coming to the hardware specifications of the cooker, the cooker is a simple automatic on and off and is not a stay warm cooker. The inner lining of the induction heating element is made up of Anodized aluminium cooking plate.
It is also easy to clean and handle for pretty much almost anyone. The stainless steel bowl given is durable and I(who is bad at cleaning utensils) maneage to clean it with great ease.
Also, this cooker also saves you a lot of green in terms of electricity bill. Operating at a small power usage of 450 watts, the Panasonic SR-WA10 is highly energy efficient.
With a manufacturer’s warranty period of 2 years, the product is economic and has the best budget pricing for its quality and features.I’d say that this cooker is a great steal for people who wish to buy something fun sized and for long term.
Things We Liked:
- Economic Pricing
- Compact Size
- Power usage of 450 watts
- 600 grams cooking capacity
- Ideal for a bachelors to a family of 3-4
- Simple to use design
- Great quality of materials used
- Easy to clean
- Cook time is 15-20 minutes
- 2 years manufacturer’s warranty
Things we didn’t like:
- Does not come with the stay warm feature due to being in the budget category. Hence may not be ideal for colder and hilltop areas.
Prestige as a brand in India needs no introduction. The Delight Electric Rice Cooker comes with 2 aluminum cooking pan/bowls for easier change and to cook more than one item back to back.
This electric cooker comes with a keep warm feature which helps keep the rice or other food warm and not get cold as soon as it is cooked. Particularly beneficial during the winters and chilly seasons.
The speed cooking time and the breathable handlebars add to the overall ergonomics of the device. The keep warm switch is automatic in nature and once the food is cooked, it can be set to turn into keep-warm mode or turn off.
A style statement that every kitchen slab needs to have, this cooker can cook a good range of dishes other than simply boil rice. There is a scoop spoon and also a measuring cup that is provided with the cooker. The handle is designed to hold the scoop and easier to hold the after cooked hot utensil.
Coming to the capacity and performance of the cooker, the cooker has the ability to cook upto 1 kg of rice and consumes about 700 watts of power.
Light in weight, this electric cooker can be easily carried around and has a great build quality. The power cable that comes with the cooker is detachable and re attachable. Convenient right?
The Delight Electric Rice Cooker comes with a manufacturer’s warranty of 1 year for any product damages and malfunctions.
Things we liked:
- 2 Aluminium Cooking Pans/Bowls
- Sturdy build material
- Appealing print design
- 1kg cooking capacity
- Detachable cord for easier mobility
- Measuring cup to measure rice.
- Ideal for mid to large families
- Cook time is 10-15 minutes
Things We Didn’t Like:
- Just one year warranty
- Rice sometimes tends to stick to the bottom of the aluminium bowl.
A small and really compact electric cooker from the house of Bajaj, the Majesty RCX 1 Mini is a tiny gadget that is designed and drafted to best suit for bachelors and newly weds.
As is the case with its design,the electric cooker has the capacity to cook about 400 grams of rice in a single go.
The closing lid for this cooker is transparent and thus it allows even the inexperienced lot of you to know when the rice is cooked(It turns off automatically so don’t fret). Also, the handles are made out of high quality fiber and do not heat up with the cooker during cooking.
The compact size of the Bajaj Majestic makes it ideal for travel and easy minimum area storage facility. Also, the power consumption of this cooker is really low at a mere 200 watts.
Apart from that the product even comes with an alluring 2 years manufacturers warranty for any product damage or malfunction.
Things we liked:
- Compact Size
- Ideal for bachelors and newly wed couples
- Has a 2 years manufacturer’s warranty
- Easily portable
Things we didn’t like:
- Not ideal for larger and bigger families.
One of the most stylish, compact, high capacity electric cooker, the Kent Personal electric rice cooker is also economic.
Before we spiral on its capabilities, let us slowly talk about what makes Kent so good, one by one. First, let us admire the creative and stylish design of the device. It looks like a lunch box you can carry around to your workplace or a well organized picnic. Easy going on the eyes.
Next let us talk about its capacity. The Kent personal electric rice cooker can cook about 0.9 litres of rice in a single go. The cooker has 4 preset programs which can be used according to their feasibility and requirements. You are given separate optional modes to cook white rice and brown rice.
A keep warm option is present in the cooker which is ideal when you want to cook fast but don’t wish to consume the food right away. There’s also a cancel keep warm to, well, you see, cancel the warming option.
The delay cook option allows you to slow down the time taken for the rice to cook. Have delicious and hot rice when you feel like and how you feel like it.
I’d like to point out that, amidst all the awesome features this cooker comes with, it is also highly energy efficient.
Apart from the usual cooking pan present inside, Kent also comes with a miniature container (The keep warm option can also be used to warm up curries, thawed up foods and a few other limited usages). Other accessories include a measuring cup and a user’s manual.
All in all, the device is a perfect fit for travellers, bachelors and small families. The product comes with a 1 year manufacturer’s warranty.
Things we liked:
- Programmable to various settings
- Has separate settings for white and brown rice
- Has keep warm settings
- Come with a delayed timer
- Compact and stylish design
- Highly energy efficient with just 180 watts power consumption
- Can cook 0.9 liters in a go
- Has a separate container to heat small curries and other things.
- Ideal for bachelors and newly weds
- Value for money
- Has a 1 year manufacturer’s warranty.
Things we didn’t like:
- Could improve the build quality
Preethi overdid itself with the Preethi Touch electric pressure cooker. It has every basic thing for a common electric cooker, much more and the Nutri + technology to keep all the nutrients of your food safe and secured. The nutri+ technology aids in increasing the nutritional bioavailability of the food in the body.
Before we delve into what makes this a masterpiece, let us look at the basic capacity and the functionality of the cooker. It has a 6 litre cooking capacity and thus it is ideal for medium to even large sizes of families.
Now let us talk of the multi features present in this cooker. Apart from being a meek and modest electric cooker, it is also a steamer, warmer and a saute pan . It comes with over 159 pre programmed settings to cook items such as khichdi, Biryani, Dal, Chicken, Idly, Soup and even a CAKE!
The LED display present to the starboard of the cooker gives you the visual display of the timer,
settings and all as such. You get to program the device to slow cook, shut down after a certain time and control its other aspects.
With that you can control Features such as cooking pressure, delay timer( from 30 min to 8 hrs) and keep warm settings too. The increase and decrease buttons make it easier to toggle the contents on the screen Well, it consumes a 1000 watts of power so it HAS to be able to do that.
The package of the cooker comes with one Aluminium Non-Stick Coated Pan, two ladle scoops spatula, a measuring cup, one Flat Spatula , Instruction Manual and, a Recipe Pamphlet to help you try out various recipes with the cooker. And it also comes with a 1 year manufacturer’s warranty for any damages and malfunction of the product.
Things we liked:
- Nutri ++ technology to conserve nutrients in the body
- 15 Preset cooking options
- Ample toggle options for controlling cooking pressure, keep warm, delay and normal timer and manual settings too.
- 6 litre capacity ideal for large families
- Sturdy build quality
- 3 Spatulas( 2 ladle and 1 flat)
Things we didn’t like:
- We felt that with all the features and value it provides, the warranty could be more than a simple 1 year.
It’s been about 127 years since the inception of the Dutch Multinational company Philips has always been consumer centric with its approach. The 1.8 litre electric rice cooker by Phillips is simple, elegant, design conscious and delivers on its promises giving you a grace of 5 year warranty of the heating coil.
Ideal for a family of 3-4 people, the HL 1663 also has a keep warm option.With its automatic switch to ‘keep warm’ after cooking, expect the food to be warm for a while longer than expected. Upto 4 hours to be precise.
Coming to the power consumption, the product consumes about 600 watts of power. As for the accessories, the Phillips has a standard set of accessories such as a starch separator plate, a spatula ladle spoon, a measuring cup for the rice measurement.
The cookers strength lies in its incredibly strong build quality. For this, Phillips gives you a total of 2 years of manufacturer’s warranty (apart from the aforementioned 5 year heating element warranty).
- 5 year heating coil warranty and 2 years on the product
- Keep warm button
- 1.8 litre capacity ideal for a family of 4
- Durable build quality
- Ergonomic Closing Lid
- Could add more functionalities to the cooker for the price
Yet another multifunctional electric rice cooker which beats most of the cookers in the list by price, functionality and its incredibly mobile and compactness.
The BMS Lifestyle Multi Function Electric Rice Cooker has the capacity of 600 ml cooking in a single go. It has the ability to not just cook rice but also a wide range of food items such as brown rice,pasta, oatmeals, omelette and even soup too. A 7 in one miracle.
This compact sized electric cooker is small, mobile and comes with a long plastic handle bar for you to carry it around. It is basically the size of a large carry tiffin box. The small plastic plate like lid has a few steam holes in it while aids in the dissipation of any extra steam to keep the rice from getting spoiled and you can use it for prolonged usage.
It is perfectly ideal for bachelors who live alone in rooms/hostels and who wish to cook some maggie, heat milk or any other above mentioned dish. Furthermore, it is as economic it can get for these products.
Coming to the power consumption of the product, it holds for its own and does not consume a lot of power for its size (200 watts consumption). The product comes with a manufacturer’s warranty of 1 year.
Things we liked:
- Compact size
- 7 in One model
- Energy efficient with only 200 watts power consumed
- 600 ml capacity
- 1 year manufacturer’s warranty
- Keep warm option can be used for boiling and thawing of food
- Ideal pick for bachelors living alone.
- Easy to carry around ergonomics
- Value for money economic product
Things we didn’t like:
- Could have improved the build quality of the product a little better.
Buying Guide: How to pick the best electric rice cooker:
Rice cookers are electric pets. For you to buy one, you need to know how a rice cooker works.
Working of a rice cooker:
The working principle of a rice cooker is simple. It contains a bowel surmounted atop a thermostat. The entire operation of the rice cooker is mainly dependent on these two.
- Firstly, you pour in the appropriate amounts of dry rice and water in the bowl and close the lid.
- Turn on the switch with the lid closed.
- The induction coil present at the bottom of the cooker starts getting heated up/
- When cooking of the rice starts, the water and rice present inside the bowl are given heat like a normal stove due to the induction of a coil present at the bottom of the cooker.
- The Thermostat is responsible to keep in track of the temperature while the rice cooks inside the bowl.
- After reaching a designated temperature, the rice cooker thermostat compares this temperature to its programmed temperature.
- The cooker automatically turns off.
- You now have a steam filled cooked soft bowl of ready to eat rice.
- A few models of cookers even have warm modes. Instead of turning off, they get to the warm mode for keeping the rice steamy and hot for a long time.
Water Requirement in Electric Cookers:
The water requirements of an electric cooker are almost the same as a normal utensil or a pressure cooker. For optimal rice output use the following ratio measures of water and rice.
For White Rice- Use 1.5-2 cups of water for every one cup of white rice.
For Brown Rice- Pour 2.5-3 cups of water for every one cup of brown rice.
What to look for in a rice cooker before buying?
I know you have been waiting for this. Let’s jump into it, shall we?
Surprise. Surprise? I know for sure that you must be thinking “Duh! I know that right”. Well, you have to know that there is a fine line between cheap cooker and a budget cooker. A cheap cooker is something you might find on a big million night offer or something that your nearby mall wants to push into your bag for a clearance sale.
While these are good picks (for a few days usage) they are not the best picks. Why you ask? The quality I say.
Budget cookers are of great quality. They sure cannot do avada kedavra like the cheap cookers because they come with limited features but quality ones (best features for the paid price). So in a battle between cheap and budget, choose a simple yet budget version. They don’t blow up.
This refers to the type of cooker you wish to opt for. There are generally three types of cookers.
a) On and Off style:
This refers to the conventional electric cooker. They have a pre programmed thermostat which turns off after a designated time period.
b) Keep Warm :
This style is ideal for people who live in the cold zones and people who are lazy, like me. The idea behind this is simple. It cooks rice, and when it’s done, instead of turning off, it goes to a warm mode. Here the cooked rice stays warm for a period of time.
c) Electronic and Keep Warm:
This is similar to the above one, but a little bit sophisticated and techy. It has a keep warm period of about 12 hours, the bowl is big, the electronics used are better with sensors too. This one is ideal for big and large families.
Capacity and Design:
The design of a cooker decides the capacity and the capability of a cooker. How big is your family. Do you live alone? Do you need a cooker that both cooks and acts as a decor material when there are guests visiting.
The capacity of the cooker ranges from 1 litre to 2 and even 5 litres. Choose the capacity depending on the family size and usage per day.
Rice cookers, as they are electrical appliances, may not be given a lot of warranty. But still, reputed brands end up providing almost about 1 or sometimes, even 2 years of manufacturer’s warranty for the product.
The warranty also depends on the style,capacity and the design of the cooker. Expensive and high ranged products get bigger warranty while budget models may stick to basic warranty.
One of the most important feature of any cooker, safety of an electrical cooker refers to the insulation and overheating protection that it has. Be sure that the chord and other electricals and electronics used in the handling side of the cooker are properly insulated. Because this ensures that
Tips to use an electric rice cooker safely
- The lid used for cooking the rice in the rice cooker should be easily detachable and cleanable.
- Also, the cooker itself should be able to be cleaned in one way or the other. Make sure that you are cleaning the cooker outer and inside with a vinegar cloth every fortnight of usage. So that the cooker does not accumulate any debris.
- In cases of thin chords, always insulate the switch cord for safer usage.
- Never open and use the cooker while the switch is on once the rice is cooked. Switch off the cooker, unplug and then touch the cooker. No matter how insulated the cooker is, there is a risk of shock.
- For stay warm cookers, follow the same procedure of operation as #4 tip for added safety.
- In the event that you smell any burning or wire on fire smell, don’t touch the cooker nor the plug. Use a wooden utensil or a stick to turn off the switch and pull the plug. Contact the service technician immediately for repair or replacement (if the product is within the warranty)
- Never place a wet bottom cooking bowl inside the cooker. Make sure that the outer portion of the steel bowl placed in the cooker is wiped clean and dry before placing inside the cooker.
- Never use wet hands while handling the cooker
- Never use the electric cooker as a stove replacement with the induction. This is dangerous and unsafe.
With an economic pricing, strong and sturdy body, a 2 year warranty and the trust of Panasonic, the SR-WA10 450-Watt Automatic Electric Cooker has topped my list of the best electric cookers. While that was the researched list, I’d love to listen to your thoughts, opinions and picks. Have you got any question related to electric cookers? Feel free to write them down in the comments section below, I will answer each and every one ASAP.