There are mainly two types of air purifiers based on their technique. These are active air purifiers and passive air purifiers.
Air purifiers with active purifying techniques carry out the work using negatively charged ions. These ions are released in the air and cause them to attract the impurities to increase their weight. This helps in making them fall on the floor or get attached to the wall. So the impurities don’t remain suspended in the air, and the air gets cleaned.
Passive air purifiers carry out purification using air filters for removing the impurities from the air. Since the negatively charged ions might loosen their bonds with the impurities with time, the impurities enter the air after some time. Thus, passive air purifiers are way more efficient.
We need to consider the following features when buying an air purifier:
- Area Covered: This is probably the very first thing one should consider while buying an air purifier. This will decide how many air purifiers you’ll need to cover a desired area.
- Capacity: The capacity of the air purifier you buy will decide up to what extent it can purify the air. One should invest considerable time to know which air purifier suits best in the space required.
- Filter Types: You also need to choose the filter types. There are air purifiers that come with different types of filters. They are all designed to purify the air, but their working principle is different, so is their efficiency. HEPS is considered the best. But there is also Activated Carbon filters, Ion Filters, Ozone Generators, and more.
If you want to know more about Air Purifiers, then read our detailed Buying Guide on the brand and their models. There are also FAQs about Air purifiers at the end of this article.
Let’s have a look at the top air purifiers available in the market:
10 Best Air Purifiers For Home In India
|Air Purifiers||Type of filter||Warranty period||Buy Now|
|Coway Air-Purifier||Pleated filter||5 years||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Sharp Air Purifier||Activated Carbon Filter||1 year||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Mi Air Purifier||Pleated filter||1 year||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Dyson Air Purifier||Pleated filter||2 years||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Blue Star Air Purifier||Activated Carbon Filter||2 years||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Philips Air purifier||Activated Carbon Filter||3 years||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Honeywell Air Purifier||Pleated Filter and Activated Carbon Filter||1 year||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Xonier Air Purifier||Pleated filter||1 year||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|American Micronic Air purifier||Activated Carbon Filter||1 year||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Havells Air Purifier||Activated Carbon Filter||1 year||CHECK ON AMAZON|
10 Best Air Purifiers For Home In India Reviews
This Air Purifier is considered to be the best in business. The company is well-known across the globe for its quality and performance. It has a unique technology along with an award-winning design that facilitates better functioning of the product.
The Air purifier provides the most innovative flow path. This helps ensure uniform distribution of air. It is perfect if you are looking for a purifier in your kitchen or your living room, or you might even love to have this in the bedroom.
It has a pre-filter, patented Urethane carbon filter, Multi-layered anti-virus Green HEPA filter. It has a small pollution monitor, which represents real-time air quality. Also, it is capable of adjusting its speed based on the air quality inside the room. The filters are made of unique Gingko leaves. These are which are perfect for removing protein on the surface of the virus. This destroys the virus, and hence, it becomes harmless.
It comes with a warranty of 5 years for the motor, while the electrical parts come with a warranty of 1 year.
- Dimensions: 34.5 x 25.5 x 62 cm
- Weight: 7 kg 500g
- Coverage Area: 355 sq. m
- Power: 38 Watts
- Noise: 22-49 dB
- CADR: 303 cubic m/hour
- Filter Replacement: Every 11 months
- Speed Modes: Auto and Turbo
- Removes 99.9 percent of Air pollutants
- Removes 99.7 percent of viruses and bacteria
- Thickest HEPA filter
- Excellent customer support services
- Has a patented Urethane carbon filter
- Cannot work with batteries
The product is manufactured by a company that ensures enhanced technical durability of the product. The devices are well-equipped with Plasma cluster technology. Also, the company assures to supply spare parts for five years after the product is discontinued in India.
It offers a dual purification system, which has a combination of three passive filters that purify the air. The product offers a unique 20-degree airflow. It is well designed and has a very elegant look. It is manufactured under strict controls and offers controlled air purification, based on the quality of air in the room.
It has enhanced efficiency for purification and can clean the room four times in an hour. It is suitable for a 24/7 operation.
It offers a 1-year standard warranty.
- Dimensions: 20.9 x 38.3 x 54 cm
- Weight: 5.9 kg
- Coverage Area: It can purify 200 sq. m four times in an hour
- Noise: Low
- Technology: Dual purification-Active and passive filters
- Speed Modes: Auto and Manual
- A unique way of airflow
- Made of highest grade metals
- HAZE function for Indian weather conditions
- Auto-restart options
- Cannot work without batteries
The air purifier uses the latest HEPA technology. The technology takes air purification to an entirely next level. The HEPA filter has a filtration efficiency of 99.97 percent for a particle size as small as to 0.3 microns. It has an OLED display system, which helps in highlighting the air quality inside a room.
By the help of this, you can track the real-time PM2.5 concentration, humidity, and temperature of the room you are using this product in. It also offers Wi-Fi connectivity, especially in the working mode.
It comes with smart app control, with a rated frequency of 50/60 Hz. It can also be operated with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa. For the same, the user has to program the device appropriately. It has a 360-degree air intake, which is manufactured with a three-layer filtration mechanism.
Also, it has a high purification capacity of 380 m3/h. It has an effective coverage area of 482 sq. ft., which makes this air purifier perfect for bedrooms, kitchen as well as living rooms. It has a power intake of 38 watts and is manufactured in China.
It has a warranty period of 1 year, which applies to all the parts except the filter.
- Dimensions: 24 x 24 x 52 cm
- Weight: 4.8 kg
- CADR: 380 m3/h
- Power: 38 Watts
- Coverage Area: 484 sq.ft.
- Noise: Low
- Smart app control
- Accessories: Filter, User Guide, Power cord
- Triple-layer filtration
- 360-degree air intake
- Has Wi-Fi connectivity
- Cannot function without a power cord
This air purifier has an intelligent purification system; it removes 99.95 percent of allergens and pollutants from the air. It can remove particles that are as small as PM0.1 microns. These include dust particles, pollen, and bacteria particles.
The product functions on an Air multiplier technology, which helps to powerfully eject air throughout the room. With the Dyson air purifier, you can project air in all directions and can use it in large spaces as well. Also, it has a dual functionality fan, which ensures enhanced air purification.
Dyson air purifiers have a lower face velocity, unlike the other conventional purifiers. It has a high-efficiency 360-degree vacuum-sealed velocity system. Also, it has a Glass HEPA filters, which helps in ensuring that the ultra-fine pollutants do not enter the air inside the room. The glass filter is folded and pleated for more than 200 times, ensuring dense packing of the filter.
It has a carbon filter system too, which helps in better purification of the air. The product can automatically check, react, and even purify the air. The users can also connect to the Dyson ink app to have a better understanding of the air quality.
The product has a two years warranty on the parts excluding the filter.
- Dimensions: 20 x 18.5 x 102.2 cm
- Weight: 6.65 kg
- Air Flow Level: 1300 CMH
- Cord length: 1.9m
- 10 air speed settings
- Power: 40Watts
- Speed Modes: Auto
- Carbon activated filter system
- Comes with an app
- Manufacturer warranty of more than one year
- Glass HEPA filters
- Does not come with batteries of its own.
This air purifier is manufactured with SensAir technology. This technology helps in better detection and eradication of pollutants and allergens from the air. It has an auto mode which ensures easy purification of air, without any hassle.
It has the Microbe DeActiv+ system, along with a PM2.5 LED display system. They together help in navigating the real-time air quality of the room.
It comes with a digital timer with settings of 1, 2, 4, and 8 hours, which can be chosen based on the requirements of the users. This means that the product can automatically stop functioning after the stated number of hours.
It is well-equipped with HEPA and Active Carbon filters and provides a four-stage purification process. With about a 300 sqft coverage area, the product is perfect for bedrooms, living rooms, and kitchens.
It has a mighty motor, which comes with a silent mode and thus does not disturb others. It is also fitted with a filter-clean alarm, alerting the users to clean out the filter every 720 hours.
You would not even have to check out frequently to understand if you need to change the filter; you have an alarm. It has a turbo mode as well, which ensures quick and powerful cleaning of the air. It has a timer too, which predicts when the air purifier has to be switched off.
It comes with a warranty of 2 years, which is just provided by the manufacturer and not by any other seller.
- Dimension: 17.2 x 32.5 x 50 cm
- Power: 43 Watts
- Weight: 5.7 kg
- Coverage Area: 300 sq. ft.
- CADR: 444CMH
- Noise: Silent
- Filter Cleaning: Every 720 hours
- Digital Timer
- Turbo feature
- Automatic timer
- SensAir technology
- Powerful motor
- Cannot function with batteries
This air purifier comes with a Vita shield purification system. This system helps in automatically sensing the air quality and other pollutants. Also, it has an effective filtration system, which separates pollutants and dust from the air, leaving it clean and pollution-free.
The multi-stage Filtration process that the purifier comes with has the pre-filter, activated carbon filter and a True HEPA filter helps in extra filtration. The technologies involved helps it purify a standard room in less than 3 hours. The product comes up with four air quality indicators, which helps in providing real-time air quality feedback. It removes 99.9 percent of bacteria and viruses and also is considered to be capable of removing the H1N1 virus.
It removes 99.99 percent of pollen grains and house dust mites and also is considered to be of an allergy-friendly quality. The product is tested and passed by ECARF. It is 100 % Ozone free and offers natural filtration.
The product from Philips comes with a warranty of 2 years. One can also extend this warranty by three years. Currently, the extension of the warranty period can be done free of cost on product registration, which can charge up to Rs 3000.
- Dimensions: 32.5 x 54.1 x 21.1
- Weight: 6.68 kg
- CADR: 270 m3/hour
- Coverage Area: 226-333 sq. ft.
- Included Components: Air purifier, Filters, and User manual
- 4-stage filtration process
- Removes 99.9 percent of bacteria
- Removes 99 percent pollens
- 100 percent Ozone free
- The triple layer filtration system
- Cannot function without cord wires
Honeywell air purifier offers the users with a great level of efficiency and a great coverage area. The product comes with a 30 sq. m. of coverage.
This simply means that you can pretty well use this in your living room and bedroom without much hassle. It has a three-stage advanced filtration system, which removes pollutants with more than 99 percent of the efficiency. It has a washable pre-filter that can easily eliminate larger dust particles, pet hair, soil, and other products like these.
It is also suitable for removing formaldehyde, toxic gases, and odor. While it helps to make the air quality better, the air purifier makes sure that it does not cause any pollution with its emissions.
To make sure that it does not add any problem to the atmosphere and the environment, the emission from the product is completely free from harmful gases and by-products, which are prevalent in the other filtration technologies. You can safely label this as an environment-friendly product.
It has a 3D Air Flow Design, which ensures an optimized and uniform circulation of air throughout the room. It has an approximate filter life of 3000 hours. If it is used for 8 hours daily, it can help you have a good breath throughout the day.
You can avail a warranty period of 1 year with this product.
- Dimensions: 20.7 x 38.2 x 48.6 cm
- Weight: 6.5 kg
- Power: 53 Watts
- Coverage Area: 30sq. m
- CADR: 250 cu m/hr
- 3D airflow design
- Filter Replacement: about 4 months
- Included Components: 1 Air Purifier, Set of 2 filters, and Product manual
- Ozone free
- Highly efficient
- Offers a lesser period of warranty as compared to other devices
This air purifier comes with a 3M HEPA level H10 filter, effective for PM2.5 size microns, hair dust, and pollens. It has a 5 Million filter, which helps in improving Air quality and also ensures protection from the H1N1 virus.
It helps you in breathing fresh air and can help to make the air clean for consumption. It has a front antibacterial layer, which traps bacteria and viruses in the filter itself, preventing it from entering the air purification system.
The purifier is effective enough to make sure that it helps purify a standard room in as little as 8 minutes. This is something that would help make your life easier in urban areas.
It has an activated carbon filter layer too, which ensures better cleaning. It comes with an inbuilt odor sensor too.
Warranty: no warranty specified.
- Dimensions: 61.21 x 42.67 x 21.34 cm
- Weight: 5.14 Kilograms
- CADR: 150-180 m3/hour
- Coverage Area: 20-40 sq.m
- HEPA level: H10
- Remote controlled
- Odour sensor
- 5 Million filter
- Activated carbon filter
- Cannot work with batteries
This air purifier has a high-efficiency particulate arrest filter. These filters are typically known for removing about 99.97 percent airborne particles. The first filter is also known as the pre-filter.
This is where the larger dust particles are removed initially. Then, you would have an activated carbon filter, which helps in removing odor, oil vapors, formaldehyde, and other hydrocarbons.
The product also has an ionizer, which helps in removing the suspended particles from the air. This is done simply by producing negatively charged ions. The users can switch the ionizer on and off whenever required.
It comes with a warranty of 1 year.
- Dimensions: 29 x 16 x 17 cm
- Weight: 2.01 kg
- Power: 22Watt
- Power Source: corded Electric
- Coverage Area: 200sq.ft
- CADR: 220 m3/hr
- Convenient Timer
- Activated Carbon filter and Ionizer
- Removes 99.97 percent of airborne pollutants
- Has an ionizer too
- Cannot work with batteries
This product from Havells provides a clean air delivery rate, which also helps in indicating the volume of purified air, which the air purifier can produce in every hour. It has unique safety controls like the sleep mode, manual timer setting, automatic filter replacement reminder as well as the odor sensor.
The product has an air quality purification coverage area of about 20 sq. meters, which is average, as per industry standards. With three high-speed fans and the excellent filtration technology that the purifier has, it is almost certain that the product would have the best level of output as desired.
It removes 99.1 percent allergens and filtration up to 0.3 microns. It has five stages of filtration: Pre Filter, Cold Catalyst, Activated Carbon, Antibacterial, and HEPA.
The other outstanding features include Manual Timer Setting, ODOUR Sensor, Sleep mode. You also have an Automatic Filter Replacement reminder with the product.
The product boasts a 2-year warranty.
- Dimensions:37.8 x 22.6 x 56.6 cm
- Weight: 5.8 kg
- Power: 40 Watts
- Coverage area: 215 square feet
- CADR: 180 m3/hr
- 3 levels of fan speed
- Noiseless technology
- 5 Stages of Filtration: Pre-Filter, Cold-Catalyst, Activated Carbon, Antibacterial, and HEPA
- 3-Colour indications Green: Good, Orange: Moderate, Red: Poor
- 5 stages of filtration
- Removes less percentage of allergens
Buying Guide For Air Purifier
The best possible ways to upgrade indoor air quality is by removing the pollutant sources and the ventilation of the clean air throughout the space. Portable air purifiers can help with this when the traditional and conventional methods of maintaining the air quality seem to fail. These are also known as air sanitizers, and these also filter the air in one room, not the entire home.
These Air purifiers help in eradicating the air pollutants which are present in the indoor air. These appliances are considered to be important nowadays, especially for people who have asthma, as well as lung and kidney disorders. As different air purifiers are designed for different purposes, each of them targets a different area. Hence, it is important to invest in an air purifier which suits the needs and requirements of the people.
1. Types of Air Purifiers
To deal with Indoor pollution, there are quite a few technologies made available in the market. Some of these are mentioned below:
- HEPA Filters: The HEPA filter purifiers are considered the best among the air purifiers. HEPA stands for High-Efficiency Particulate Air. These type of air purifiers comes with very dense paper filters. This filters trap any type of airborne particles.You will find a lot of filters that carry the name HEPA, but you need to look for the filters that come with official HEPA certification. The label will say, ‘True HEPA Filter’. A true HEPS filter is capable of removing 99.97% of all microscopic particles in the air, even particles as small as 0.3 microns.Other HEPS filters use the term ‘HEPA-Type’ of ‘HEPS-Like’ compared to true HEPA filters; they are inferior. These filters are capable of only filtering particle that are within 2.5 microns.
- Activated Carbon Filters: Instead of taking hold of some of the dust and bacterial particles, activated carbon acts as a sorbent material. It tends to absorb odor and other pollution-creating particles. It can also control a lot of gases but are not as effective in the case of formaldehyde, ammonia, and nitrogen oxide.Most air purifiers, nowadays, consist of both pleated filters as well as activated carbon, which can help in better entrapment of the particles in the air. Also, an activated carbon filter gets saturated before a pleated filter.
- UV Lamp: As the name suggests, the UV lamp is another variation of air filters that uses UV light to purify the air in the room. This kind of purifier emits an invisible light that attacks the pollutants in the air.The UV lamp air purifiers use UV-C band of UV spectrum. This UV band is safe for humans but not for pollutants. Its main task is to eliminate viruses and bacteria inside the room. In the end, you will get a sanitized and clean environment.
- Ionic Air Purifiers: The Ionic Air Purifiers use a different purification technology. The purifiers emit a cloud of charged ions into the air, which will eventually latch onto the airborne particles. After latching onto the ions, the particles get heavy; then, they fall on the floor.Some of the ionic purifiers come with an electrostatic collection plate. This plate attracts all the fallen particles and eliminates them from the room. This electrostatic process removes particles as small as 0.1 microns from the room.
- Ozone Generators: The air purifying machines tend to produce ozone that reacts with certain pollutants to change the composition of air. This can lead to dangerous air quality, which can prove to be very hazardous for health. The makers of the O3 generators claim that these devices emit safe levels of ozone. In some cases, ozone can also make Asthma and Bronchitis even worse.
2. CADR Ratings and Room Size
CADR stands for Clean Air Delivery Rate. This is a rating developed by the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers or AHAM. This is a way to help the consumers, make them able to know how well an air purifier cleans up a room of a specific measurements.
So, it is a standard to learn the effectiveness of the air purifier. The rating is especially important when you are comparing 2 or more devices. But not all the air purifiers come with a CADR rating. If the manufacturers have AHAM independently test the purifier, then the device will have the rating and the certification.
If an air purifier’s CADR rating states that it can purify a room of 300 sq. ft, then it has been texted and verified. It tells you if the device is efficient and if it can get rid of the indoor contaminants.
CADR rating measures 3 different types of air pollutions. It’s just dust, pollen, and tobacco smoke.
ACH stands for Air Changes Per Hour. This rating gets skipped by the users very frequently, as it is difficult to understand. But this is one of the most important ratings that tell you the air purifier’s operation efficiency.
The ACH tells you how many times the purifier can change the air in the room. The common ACH rating will say 4X, 5X, 6X, or anything similar like that on the device. The 4X means that the polluted air inside the specific space will be cleaned 4 times within an hour.
So, if the number is higher, more efficient the purifier. You also need to know the sq. footage. This rating is linked to the size of the space. If the rating states that the purifier can clean the air of a 300sq.ft room 4 times within an hour. Then you have to put the purifier inside a room of a similar to get the maximum out of it. If you place it in a bigger room, the purifier won’t work as efficiently as stated.
4. Placing the Air Purifier
You have to place the air purifiers wisely. If you have a single air purifier, you should place it in a room where you spend most of your time. Generally, it is the bedroom.
These machines are also very heavy. So, they will not be easy to carry frequently. So, place it in the corner of the room where the machine will stay undisturbed and purify the air. Just make sure that nothing blocks its airflow.
5. Noise Levels
While getting an air purifier, you also have to consider the noise. If the purifier performs well but too noisy, then you will have issues. As these devices will run 24X7. So, they should be quiet. Otherwise, you will have clear air, but you won’t be able to sleep.
So, check the specifications before making the purchase. Check the high-speed and low-speed settings.
6. Energy Consumption
Most customers doesn’t even consider energy consumption, but you must. These devices will run 24X7 in the room. And mostly they will run in high-settings. So, check the box the purifier and get one that states energy efficient.
7. Cost of replacement of filters
Filter replacement can be costly. If you get a HEPA purifier, then you have to keep a constant check for the cost of filter replacement. The life of the filter depends on the air quality and the usage. Usually, a HEPA filter can work up to 2000 hours.
So, just don’t get a purifier whose filter replacement will be very costly. If you are running the purifiers all day in the room, then you will have to change the filter at least 3 times a year.
Features of Air-purifiers
We have already discussed the most important aspects of an air purifier; you must keep an eye out for them while making the purchase. But if you want additional features, that will cost you extra money.
So, if you don’t necessarily need them, skip it. But there are a few additional features that are life-saving.
- Pre-Filter: The pre-filter catches the large particles and extends the life of the internal filter or the more expensive filters.
- Digital Controls: The digital controls will allow you to operate the purifier more precisely.
- Adjustable Fan Speed: Air purifiers can have fan sped settings from 2 to 6. It can be low to high and somewhere in between. You don’t require the purifier to run at optimum speed all the time. It also saves energy.
- Filter Replacement Indicators: These are just lights on the purifiers, and they light up when the filter needs replacing. It is a good feature. You don’t have to constantly check the condition of the filter.
Working of Air Purifiers
Air purifiers are some of the best technological devices today. These devices help in cleaning the indoor air quality. Sometimes things add up and could cause harm like pet furs, pollen, or toxic things that needed to be cleaned and purified.
An air purifier works in many different ways depending upon the methods used for cleaning the air quality. One of the most convenient methods is the HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filter. Hepa helps to suck the contaminated air into the machine by using an internal fan and pass the same through the filter.
As air goes through the HEPA filter, airborne pollutants get trapped inside the dense material where clean air flows the other side for you to breathe. The HEPA filter is mainly designed to capture the fine particles down to 0.3 micrometers in size, like dust allergies, toxic smoke, mold spores, and bacteria.
Frequently Asked Questions
Air purifier devices are mainly designed to help people to overcome the sicknesses of allergies and asthma by making giving them a fresh air to breathe, but it cannot be said as curing of any diseases. The indoor poor air quality mostly results in such kind of sickness than outdoor airs. An air purifier traps the contaminated air, and fresh and clean air flows from the other side to breathe. This may help in reducing the sickness within a lesser span of time.
There are many companies that offer the best air purifiers for asthma, allergies, other diseases, and healthy living.
Some Indian companies like Philips high-efficiency air purifier with vital shield intelligent purification-3000 series, Dyson pure cool air purify model dp04, mi air purifier 2s, Honeywell air touch i8, and Coway sleek pro-ap-1009, are considered to be the best service providing company for air purifying. These are the recommended and affordable companies offering the best air purifiers.
It depends on the type of air purifier you buy and the method it follows. The HEPA filters are mostly considered best as it performs better. It focuses on cleaning the contaminated and toxic air and leaves the fresh air to breathe.
So it helps in sore throat, allergies, and asthma. But there are several other purifiers which may be cheap and could have many side effects too. Buying a better air purifier will assure you the best they could provide.
Mostly, you may start feeling the allergies acting up again or sickness like sore throat, which may be aware of not working with air purifier. Sometimes checking the filters is very important as it helps you know whether it’s trapping contaminated air or not.
If there is any fault, then you need an air purifier task monitor who may help you in fixing the problem. The use of purifiers depends on the area you live if it’s the most populated area. It may need continuous working will be the reason for some of the effects which may lead to frequent failures in the working of purifiers.
In this article, we present the best air purifiers which are available, especially in India. The customer can go through various parameters of selecting the best air purifier, which can suit the needs and requirements of the customer.
Portable air purifiers can help with this when the traditional and conventional methods of maintaining the air quality seem to fail.
These are also known as air sanitizers and are known to filter the air in a single room, but not the entire house. Various types of filters have been made available in the market, including pleated filters, activated carbon filters as well as Ozone inducers.
Hence, the users can select the best type of air purifier that suits their needs and fits in their budget.
Our recommendation is the Coway Sleek Pro Professional Air-Purifier (AP-1009). This is an alrounder. Very efficient and worth the money!