According to statics, 70% of deaths caused due to fire-related accidents occurs at night when people are sleeping. It is not actually fire causing death but exposure to high levels of smoke and suffocation that causes death.
Generally speaking, most homes in India won’t use a smoke detector. But this need to change and install smoke/heat detectors to escape from a potential fire. It will save you, your loved ones and wealth/possessions with no/minimum damage.
One has to consider these 2 key factors before its purchase to grab the best one.
Type – There are two main types of smoke detectors – ionization and photoelectric. The ionization senses a high intensity flames whereas the photoelectric type detects a low intensity flames/smoke. Also, it is advised to use dual sensor smoke detectors for enhanced safety and protection.
Power Source – There are two kinds of power sources – hard wired power system and battery. However, the battery operated one is quite easy to install and use but need to replace batteries, which is not the case with hard wired power system.
Apart from these, you have to consider various other factors, which are explained in the below Buying Guide. Also, we have reviewed several products that you should check and buy the best one.
Best Smoke Detectors in India
|Smoke Detectors||Type||Warranty||Buy Now|
|Kidde Model Compact Smoke Detector||Ionization||3 years||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|First Alert PC910 Smoke Detector||Photoelectric||---||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Smiledrive Smoke Alarm Detector||Photoelectric||6 Months||CHECK ON AMAZON|
Top Smoke Detectors in India Reviews
Here we have listed some best smoke detectors available in Indian market. All you need is to check out them and select your best option as per your requirement.
Kidde is one of the most popular and well-known brands that specializes in fire safety products. They are the first to produce a combination smoke alarm to detect both fires and poisonous gases like carbon monoxide. This fire sentry i9040 smoke alarm will provide protection from deadly threat.
- It is a battery-operated smoke alarm that uses ionization sensing technology.
- The 4-inch diameter gives a discreet design with high-quality standards.
- This easy to install detector is powered by a 9V battery to provide continuous protection.
- The single station smoke alarm will provide an early warning signal to its user in the event of any fire hazard.
- It comes with 3-year limited warranty against any manufacturing defects.
- With its test button, it allows the user to test this electronic circuit, horn (audible with 85dB at 10 ft.) and its battery function.
- It works at temperature range of 4°C – 38°C (40°F – 100°F) and the maximum humidity it can sustain is up to 85%.
- With its low battery indicator, the user will get low battery warning chirp alerts to change its battery.
- It can be mounted on ceilings or walls as required and comes with installation guide.
What we liked:
- Nice, lightweight and compact design
- The sound output that user can hear from a distance of 10 feet is 85 dB.
- It comes with test button and low battery warning.
What we didn’t like:
- It won’t offer any interconnection of different smoke alarms.
- It is not a combination type and doesn’t suit for low-intensity flames.
First Alert is an US based brand that manufactures fire safety equipment such as fire extinguishers, or smoke alarms with best quality since 1958. This PC910 smoke detector alarm is one best and most reviewed product. Here are the features and specification of this product.
- This is a 2 in 1 alarm that includes carbon monoxide alarm along with fire/smoke detector in one unit.
- It uses photoelectric technology to reduce false alarms causing from steam and cooking.
- The alarm is of battery type and consists of a 3V lithium power cell is included in the package.
- The company is providing a 10-year warranty on its battery’s life.
- It is easy to install and can be easily mounted on the wall.
- It can be interconnected to other smoke alarms, in which other alarms also alerts if one has triggered.
What we liked:
- It can detect both smoke and harmful carbon monoxide gases.
- Manufactured by the reputed brand in this sector.
- Lightweight, compact and sleek design
- A photoelectric type smoke detector that suits for low-intensity flames.
What we didn’t like:
- A little bit expensive product
- No information on the warranty of the product.
- A few reported that the battery won’t last for 10 years.
Smiledrive is an Indian company that manufactures best gadgets and safety equipment since 2012. The smiledrive brings you the world’s smallest smoke alarm detector to ensure your loved ones are protected from any accidents.
- This small and compact smoke alarm is easy to install and won’t take more than a couple of minutes.
- It has a photoelectric sensor, which can detect smoke easily from all angles.
- It comes with inbuilt 3V lithium battery that provides 10 years of battery life (approximately) without any hassle to change battery every time.
- It has wall clip for easy installation on either walls or ceilings, as per your requirement.
- Made with ABS plastic material and ensure with loud sound of 85dB at 3 meters that makes everyone hear clearly.
- With its self-check function, it let you know any malfunction signal emitted due to dust / debris in the chamber.
- Certified by all major organizations and the product comes with 6-months warranty on its manufacturing defects.
- It operates within the temperature range of 4°C – 38°C (40°F – 100°F) and it can sustain 10% – 90% RH humidity.
- It has test button (red round button) and LED light for testing the alarm once in a while.
What we liked:
- It is small and compact smoke alarms that can be placed anywhere like office, home, school, car, hotel, or shopping mall.
- Comes with unique smart clip wall mechanism for easy to install on ceilings/wall
- Offers 10-year battery life with inbuilt 3V lithium battery.
- The maximum sound output a user can hear from a distance of 3 meters is 85dB.
- It is a cost-effective product with all basic features.
What we didn’t like:
- Won’t detect gas leak or heat sensing.
- A few reported that battery may not sustain till 10 years.
How to Select the Best Smoke Detectors:
There will be smoke whenever anything catches fires. So, based on this fact, the innovation of smoke detectors is done. The smoke will head to the upper part (ceiling), which makes it quite commonly installed on the ceiling of the room.
The smoke and heat detectors will save your life and your home. So, before going to purchase, you have to know everything related to them like its types, how they work, and what to consider to grab the best and most suited one.
Here we have listed the detailed information about smoke detectors, which let you choose the best one without any confusion while buying.
1. Types of Smoke Detector Alarms:
One has to consider the type of smoke detector alarm before considering its purchase. There are various types of alarms available in the market but most popular ones are photoelectric and ionization types. Let’s know about its types in detail.
This smoke detector has simple working procedure and most preferred in households due to its affordable price. The detector uses ionization chambers and ionized material emitting radiation to detect the smoke. It detect small amounts of smoke in the air and quite useful for high intensity flames.
Here the components of air gets ionized, which makes the negative electron move toward positive plate and vice versa. Due to this small amount of electricity is detected and when the smoke enters into the chamber, the current of ionizing radiation is disrupted and thus triggers the alarm.
This is another quite popular and commonly used smoke detector. Here there will be a continuous beam of light transmitted continuously between one point to another. Whenever there is an obstruction in its path due to smoke particles, then triggers the alarm as an alert to the user. They perform best during low-intensity fires.
Combination / Dual Sensors:
Ionization detector works when the intensity of smoke is high and photoelectric work when the intensity is low. With this combination detectors, you can be protected from both situations. This is a safest smoke and fire detection device, why because it detect both flaming fires and smaller smoldering fires.
You can also find the same working principle of this photoelectric smoke detector in the projected beam smoke detector. Here the device emits invisible light beams and if any distraction of light beams in their direction due to smoke then alarm rings to alert the people.
This heat detectors are traditional form of smoke and fire detectors available. They simply have heat sensor that predicts the temperature of the surrounding air. However, they are not used mostly because they alert user when there is a hazardous fire. A few people uses this in small and confined space, where high-temperature flames are expected.
An aspirating smoke detector comes with testing chamber, pipes, receiver and light sensor. The surrounding air passes through pipes and then testing chamber. Here a light emitter will pass light beams through air and in case, if it gets distorted then it alerts the people regarding the presence of smoke.
2. Power Source:
In general, hard-wired power system and battery are two types of power sources used to function smoke detectors. Both have their own pros and cons. The installation hard-wired power system is tough and can be done mostly by experts during the house construction to have proper power supply.
Also, it should have battery backup to make it use when power goes out or circuit destroyed. Whereas the battery type is quite commonly used due to its ease of installation and cost effectiveness. All you need is to replace the batteries from time to time for its proper working.
3. Battery Backup:
In case, if you want to use battery power type, then you have to consider its backup to ensure its proper functioning. The alarm will notify you of low battery by buzzer, LED light, chirping sounds, etc. Most batteries need to be replaced twice a year but if you want longer battery life, you have to opt for Li-ion batteries. Although, they costs more than other batteries but lasts up to 10 years.
4. Smart or not:
Smart options are always better than normal smoke detectors due to their unique set of features. Even though, they cost a little more than normal one but it allows ease of use with new technology. Connect the device to your phone to get alerts at anytime and anywhere till your phone has internet connection. So, choose them as per your requirement and budget range.
5. Other Features:
Here are a few other factors which you have to consider before its purchase. Have a look on it.
- Local Regulation – The local regulations will specify what types to use and when to replace. So, one has to follow the guidelines while purchase them.
- Alert Type – It refers to the way a user know about a potential fire hazard. The most common ways are buzzers, beeping, sirens, LED lights, chirping, etc. If you’re planning to install alarms in all rooms then prefer low intensity alert but for a large building, simply install high-intensity alerts like sirens.
- Interconnection – It connects each and every smoke detector device in the house/industry. If one alerts then all others will alert at the same time. Suits perfect for home having multiple floors. Interconnection is easy in most hardwired smoke alarms but all needs to be of same company.
- Display – Newer models of detectors come with a display that provides various information such as air purity level, ambient temperature, and presence of toxic gases in air.
Maintenance Tips for Smoke Detector Alarms:
Proper installation and regular maintenance will let the smoke alarm save your life. So, here are some maintenance tips to keep the smoke detector work effectively.
- Regularly check the batteries for once a month to know whether they are functioning properly or dead.
- Place the smoke detectors by following the guidelines of National Fire Protection Association. One has to place it every floor of the home, especially in bedrooms, kitchen and stairways.
- Check the height before mounting the detector on the ceiling. Always mount alarm three feet below the ceiling for vaulted ceilings and 10 feet from cooking areas.
- Never ever run out of batteries. You should be ready to replace a dead battery in the smoke detector with a new one for its continuous functioning and safety.
- Dusty buildup may lead to false alarms or delay detection. So, you have to clean it regularly to prevent any dust interfere with sensors and to work properly.
- Place the smoke alarms away from doors, windows and air ducts, why because they disrupt its operation and may cause false alarms.
- The interconnection of smoke alarms will let everyone in every room of the home will get warming and knows about the emergency.
- Install smoke detectors in every bedroom and kitchen of the house to prevent more fire incidents.
- For a better safety and protection, you have to place carbon monoxide detectors. Most of the modern smoke detectors come with built-in carbon monoxide detectors.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Before installing a smoke detector. You should decide where to install and its installation won’t take much time. For maximum protection and safety, it is advised to install them on every floor of the house. Anyone with minimal training can install it.
Always place the detector on the ceilings (center of ceiling) and avoid corners where wall meets ceiling. In case, if you have to place the detector on the walls, then avoid placing it 4-inches below from ceiling. The smoke detectors come with mounting plate and 2 key-shaped holes to mount and hang them.
Generally, a good quality smoke alarm last from 5 – 10 years with proper maintenance. But due to some factors such as manufacturing defects, physical damage, etc. the alarms might malfunction. Then simply you have to change/replace it with a new one.
The modern smoke detectors come with built-in alerting mechanism like warns with sound or blink lights. Or else, you can also check the battery life by testing it once in every month and replace if the noise is faint or unable to hear.
In case, if the smoke alarm is beeping regularly, then it may be two reasons – low battery indication or false alerts. Check and change the battery first and if it continues the beeping, then simply clean the dust/debris and place it far away from bathroom or stove to avoid false alerts caused due to heat/steam.
The smoke detector circuit consists of various components like buzzers, transistor, LEDs, jumper wires, applied voltage divider, connecting wires, calibrators and stable power supply. The working mechanism is that the transistor is set at a certain voltage, which has to turn on above that range. The applied voltage and calibrator will ensure that set voltage limit. The surrounding gases will come in & out through multiple slits of smoke detector.
When once the smoke is detected, it reduces the resistance and increase the voltage beyond the point. This, in turn makes transistor to switch on and give signal to LED & buzzer to alert the user. Although, the smoke detection mechanism is different for different models but the circuit functioning remains same to alert their users.
Hope the above information will help you in selecting the best option for your safety. Among those best-selling products, we recommend Kidde i9040 Smoke Detector Alarm, why because Kidde is well-reputed brand in fire safety. It is battery operated ionization sensor compact smoke alarm that is easy to install and detect the smoke effectively. Also, it is backed with 3-year limited warranty.
Which one you’re going to purchase? Feel free to share your queries in the below comments section. We will revert you as soon as possible.