All of us have been affected by fever at some point in our lives. When our body temperature is higher than 36.9 degrees Centigrade or 98.4 degrees Fahrenheit, it indicates that our body is naturally fighting against certain foreign bacteria or viruses that could be causing an infection.
Using a thermometer would be the easiest way to measure your temperature in such a case. This simple device is a very quick and convenient way to determine how much fever you have, all the while sitting comfortably at home.
Forehead thermometers are one of the most non-invasive, hassle-free devices that can be used for the purpose. They need not be in contact with the skin in order to measure temperature and hence reduce the probability of infections as well, especially in infants. An added benefit is the fact that certain thermometers today come equipped with different modes to measure the temperature of external objects (such as baby milk bottles, the room/surroundings) too.
In this article, we will guide you through a list of the top 7 best forehead thermometers to buy in India. Also, we have drawn up a buying guide to help you know about what features to look for in a particular thermometer before purchasing it.
Best Forehead Thermometers in 2018
|Forehead Thermometers||Response Time||Warranty||Buy Now|
|Rossmax HA500 Temple Thermometer||1 second||5 years||Check the Price|
|Nishdeals Premium Multi-Function Forehead Infrared Thermometer||1 second||No warranty||Check the Price|
|Equinox Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer EQ-IF-02||1 second||18 months||Check the Price|
|Dr Trust Infrared Forehead Temporal Artery Thermometer||3 second||1 year||Check the Price|
|Dr. Morepen Thermosmart Infrared Thermometer||2 second||1 year||Check the Price|
|Omron MC-720 Non-Contact Forehead Thermometer||1 second||1 year||Check the Price|
|Operon NT-Quick Infrared Non-Contact Thermometer||1 second||1 year||Check the Price|
The first product in our list belongs to Rossmax, a leader in the global healthcare product market since 1988. The HA500 model is a non-contact temple thermometer, with a measurement distance within 2 inches (5 cm).
This instant device can be used to measure the temperature at your temples from a distance and shows the reading instantly within 1 second. It can also be used to measure the temperature of a physical object. Its auditory fever alarm feature is extremely useful when temperatures are beyond safely set limits.
Equipped with advanced infrared measuring technology, this non-contact thermometer prevents the risk of infections since it is not prone to contamination by touching the surface of the skin. With a Celsius to Fahrenheit switching ability along with 9 inbuilt memories, this could prove to be a good buy.
Additional useful features of this accurate thermometer include the presence of a backlight to ensure the display is well-lit and easy to read, an auto shut-off feature for when the device is not in use and a low battery indicator as well.
This Rossmax thermometer comes with a warranty of 5 years from the date of purchase.
- Non-contact temple thermometer
- Instant reading within 1 second, even of a physical object
- Equipped with advanced infrared measuring technology
- Celsius to Fahrenheit switching ability with 9 memories
- Well-lit backlight, auto shut-off feature & low battery indicator
- 5 years warranty
- The highest of 3 readings needs to be considered (not just one)
The Nishdeals Premium Multi-Function Forehead Infrared Thermometer by Nishdeals is another precise, non-contact device to measure temperature without any hassles. This instant thermometer has a response time of just 1 second.
It is multifunctional in nature and can be used to measure the temperature of a variety of objects – be it your baby’s body temperature, the temperature of the surroundings or ambient environment, how hot the milk in your baby’s bottle or the bath water is or anything else.
Its built-in infrared laser point ensures fairly accurate readings, with an accuracy of upto 0.2 to 0.3 degrees C (more or less) for body temperatures. Easy to operate, you could choose from both Celsius or Fahrenheit scales and even set an alarm value to alert you if the temperature exceeds a prescribed limit.
With automatic selection range, data hold and auto power off features (in 7 seconds), this device has a display resolution of 0.1 degrees C/0.1 degrees F. A well-lit backlight LCD display and memory spanning upto the 32 most recent measurements are additional useful features of this product.
A minor downside is the absence of any warranty period on the thermometer.
- Non-contact thermometer with a response time of just 1 second
- Built-in infrared laser point with an accuracy of 0.2-0.3 degrees C
- Both Celsius & Fahrenheit scales available along with alarm feature
- Automatic selection range, data hold & power off features
- Display resolution of 0.1 degrees/0.1 degrees F
- Backlight LCD display
- Memory spanning upto last 32 measurements
- No warranty
- Slightly bulky
- Readings could vary at times
Equinox is a trusted Indian brand in the field of home-based healthcare and fitness products that caters to both Indian and international markets. The Equinox Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer EQ-IF-02 is an accurate and reliable thermometer belonging to the same brand.
Light in weight and easy to use, this thermometer is multifunctional in nature. It can be used to measure the temperature of the body, of a room or even of any other surface (e.g. feeding bottles). For the human body, you need to keep the device 3-5 cm away from the forehead and the temperature shows up on the device within 1 second for about 30 seconds.
Its LCD display has 3 different backlight colours to differentiate between the fever ranges – green, yellow and red. It is also equipped with a fever alarm that switches on automatically when the temperature crosses 100.4 degrees F or 38 degrees C. The switching mode between Celsius and Fahrenheit makes it easy to measure temperature on whichever scale you prefer.
The auto power off feature helps in conserving the battery when not in use, in addition to a low battery indicator. It also has a memory that can store up to 32 results at a time. This Equinox thermometer comes in a package that includes the following – thermometer, batteries, user manual and a warranty card.
The EQ-IF-02 Thermometer comes with a warranty of 18 months from the date of purchase.
- Multifunctional non-contact infrared thermometer (body, room, other surfaces)
- Well-lit LCD display with 3 colour differentiations for fever ranges
- Inbuilt fever alarm and Celsius/Fahrenheit switching modes
- Results within 1 second; auto switch off in 30 seconds
- Memory that stores upto 32 recent results; low battery indicator
- Light in weight & easy to use
- 18 months warranty
- Consecutive readings may vary slightly
- Battery drains relatively faster than others
Dr Trust is a renowned name that produces health and wellness products the world over and is based in the United States. This Infrared Forehead Temporal Artery Thermometer is a quick and reliable method to get accurate results in the case of fever.
As the name says, this infrared temperature probe is a soft touch device that works by scanning the level of heat on the temporal artery of the forehead. It also has an object mode that is useful for measuring the temperature of other objects as well, such as milk bottles for the baby.
Its elegant and well-lit LCD display shows quick results within a short time duration of 3 seconds. The resulting temperature can be checked both in Celsius as well as Fahrenheit modes, with the switching mode provided for hassle-free usage.
An additional fever alarm comes in useful as an indicator for high temperatures. Extra useful features include the auto power off for battery conservation and the replace battery indicator that lights up whenever the batteries are about to run out.
This Dr Trust Infrared Thermometer has a memory that can store the 10 most recent results at a time. Its backlight display has three different colours – green, yellow and red – that are easy visual indicators of the temperature levels.
The product comes with a warranty of 1 year from the date of purchase.
- Soft touch infrared device with object mode
- Quick results in 3 seconds
- Interchangeable Celsius & Fahrenheit modes
- Fever alarm & auto power off features
- Battery indicators provided
- Memory spanning 10 most recent results
- 3 backlight display colours depending on temperature intensity
- 1 year warranty
- Readings fluctuate at times
- Buttons & settings a bit complicated to understand
One of the most well-known names in the manufacture of wellness and clinical devices, Dr. Morepen is headquartered in New Delhi but has a global presence in US and European markets as well. This Thermosmart Infrared Thermometer is a good quality, long-lasting product from the same brand.
It is a non-contact thermometer which prevents the spread of viruses and infections from person to person. The thermometer is ultra-fast in operation, with a response time of just 2 seconds when used at a distance of ~2-3 cm from an object or surface.
The dual scales of Celsius and Fahrenheit come in useful if you wish to switch between the two. This user-friendly device is easily portable too since it comes in a pocket size and can be used to measure temperature of both the body as well as other surfaces like milk bottles.
The auto power off feature for power conservation, a memory spanning the 32 most recent results and an on/off sound switch are additional useful features of this device. It comes with a holder included within the package to make it more convenient for storage.
The digital LCD display with a backlight makes it convenient to use in the dark as well. Its ergonomic gun-shaped design is comfortable to hold by both kids and adults. This Dr. Morepen Thermosmart Infrared Thermometer has a warranty of 1 year from the date of purchase.
- Ultra-fast operation with a response time of 2 seconds
- Dual scales of Celsius & Fahrenheit
- Pocket size user-friendly device with holder for easy portability
- Useful for measuring temperature of any object/surface
- Auto power off feature & memory with 32 stored results
- Ergonomic gun-shaped design with well-lit digital LCD display
- 1 year warranty
- Consecutive readings may be inaccurate at times
- Relatively expensive
The Omron brand is a global leader in the field of innovative medical equipment of various kinds for the purpose of health monitoring. This MC-720 Non-Contact Forehead Thermometer is a device with a thermopile sensor for convenient measurement of temperature.
The MC-720 thermometer is equipped with 3-in-1 measurement modes. In addition to measuring the body temperature from the forehead and an object’s surface temperature, it can also be used to accurately determine the temperature of a room.
Having an extremely quick response time of just 1 second, this thermometer is also ergonomically designed making it easy to hold and operate. An interchangeable Celsius and Fahrenheit scale along with an inbuilt silent mode make it a good choice for babies.
An additional feature which is not present in other thermometers within the same range is that the previous reading is shown on the display along with the current measured temperature, for the purpose of reference. The memory can store upto 25 of the most recent readings at a time.
The backlight display makes it easier to read the temperature even in the dark. The Omron MC-720 Forehead Thermometer comes with a manufacturer’s warranty of 1 year from the date of purchase.
- 3-in-1 measurement modes – forehead, surface & room
- Extremely quick response time of 1 second
- Ergonomic design; easy to hold & operate with well-lit display
- Interchangeable Celsius & Fahrenheit modes
- Previous reading displayed on screen with current reading
- Stores 25 of the most recent readings at a time
- 1 year warranty
- Temperature may fluctuate from time to time
- No auto power off mode
Operon Biotech and Healthcare is a brand focused on manufacturing in-vitro diagnostic tools since more than a decade. The Operon NT-Quick Infrared Non-Contact Thermometer is a multifunctional touch free device that can come in handy if you are looking for a practical and economical thermometer.
This non-contact infrared thermometer can measure the temperature of the human body as well as an external object instantly within 1 second. It also has a specially designed night mode that makes it convenient to measure temperature even in the dark.
Its large LCD display has a red light indicator for high fever and ensures long battery life by automatically shutting off after 30 seconds. Interchangeable Celsius and Fahrenheit modes along with a 30 user memory function could make this product good value for your money.
Compact, lightweight and easy to use, this Operon product has a battery indicator on its display as well for the sake of convenience. Its silent operation mode is an added bonus for measuring temperature of babies.
It comes with a warranty of 1 year from the date of purchase.
- Multifunctional touch free device with 3 modes – body, object & night mode
- Instant temperature measurement with a response time of 1 second
- Large LCD display with red light indicator for high temperature
- Auto shut off after 30 seconds to prolong battery life
- Compact, light in weight & easy to use
- Battery indicator on display; sleep mode useful for babies
- 1 year warranty
- Slight inaccuracy at times may be an issue
Types of Thermometers
Thermometers can be classified into different categories based on their mode of operation. Here are a few main types:
- Digital Thermometers: The most widely used in the modern day and age, digital thermometers operate on the principle of a digital heat sensor in contact with a surface (the human skin). It can be used in the armpits/underarms, mouth (oral) or rectum. The readings obtained are generally accurate and quick, provided you follow certain basic precautions.
- Mercury Glass Thermometers: Mercury glass thermometers operate on the principle of encapsulated mercury expanding with heat within a glass covering. These may prove to be dangerous if they break open and also take a couple of minutes before coming up with the temperature reading (not instant).
- Pacifier Thermometers: Designed for infants, these are digital thermometers in the shape of a pacifier and are meant to be used in the mouth of a baby. A minor disadvantage is that the baby’s movements might result in less accurate readings than a typical digital thermometer.
- Forehead Strip Thermometers: These are very basic forms of thermometers and consist of heat-sensitive strips of plastic that change colour when they come into contact with a hot surface. Not recommended for use, this basic thermometer is usually quite inaccurate.
Also, depending on which part of the body is used to measure temperature, thermometers can broadly be classified into the following five different types:
- Rectal Thermometers: One of the oldest known methods of measuring temperature, rectal thermometers may be uncomfortable for your baby and are prone to spreading infections. However, these are regarded by some as one of the most accurate methods of measuring temperature.
- Underarm Thermometers: Convenient for people of all ages, this can be used as a general screening method and not as an accurate prediction of temperature.
- Ear Thermometers: Relatively expensive, ear thermometers measure temperature from the tympanic membrane at the far end of the ear canal. These also usually show accurate temperature unless the baby is too young and/or there is a wax buildup in the patient’s ear.
- Oral Thermometers: Another common device, the thermometer is placed underneath the tongue in the mouth to measure temperature. This is not suitable for kids, especially if you are using glass or mercury thermometers.
- Forehead Thermometers: The easiest and most convenient to use among the lot, forehead thermometers are a gentle and non-invasive method to measure temperature by means of the infrared heat waves emitted from the skin. A slight downside is that its readings may not be as accurate as that of a digital thermometer.
Factors to Keep in Mind before Buying a Forehead Thermometer
Age Factor: Forehead thermometers, sometimes also known as temporal artery thermometers are best suited for babies aged 3 months and above. Since oral thermometers are not a safe bet for infants, forehead thermometers can be used to get an approximate idea of fever, if any, before confirming it with a more accurate device.
Ease of Usage: A number of forehead thermometers generally require you to measure the temperature multiple times and then determine the fever reading by taking the average of those values. It is recommended to opt for a thermometer which has the least such hassles and is convenient to use at the touch of a button.
Response Time: Most of the forehead thermometers listed above have very short response times ranging between 1-3 seconds. These work well if you’re looking to get a rough estimate of the fever.
Additional Features: A majority of the forehead thermometers have features like an interchangeable Celsius to Fahrenheit (and vice versa) scale, auto shut off to prolong battery life and silent modes along with a well-lit backlight display to help measure the temperature of sleeping babies. These features come in very useful and should be carefully examined at the time of purchase.
Safety Hazard: It is very important to ensure that thermometers along with any accessories or small parts are kept out of reach of children since they may prove to be a choking hazard if the baby is left unsupervised.
The Rossmax HA500 Temple Thermometer Non-Contact is our top pick from the list of best forehead thermometers in India because of its instant response time of 1 second as well as advanced infrared measuring technology. Additional useful features include a Celsius to Fahrenheit switching ability, a well-lit backlight and 9 memories along with auto shut-off feature to make the batteries function for a longer time. This thermometer also comes with a warranty of 5 years from the date of purchase.