Epilator is one of the best ways to remove unwanted hair removal, especially on the face.
They come with rotating tweezers which pluck the hair from roots. Compared to shaving or waxing, it doesn’t lead to ingrown hairs or blemishes on skin.
There are several epilators available in the market. Before making the purchase, we recommend to consider below factors…
1. Epilator Types
There are three different types of epilators – spring, rotating, and tweezer. Among these three options, tweezer model is the most advanced and effective model.
2. Corded Vs Cordless
These epilators are suitable for beginners as they are comfortable and affordable. If you epilate more often, then you should choose for corded or rechargeable models. Corded epilators are much more powerful than cordless models.
Apart from them, you have to consider other factors as well like speed settings, tweezers, and others. Detail information of these factors is provided in the Buying Guide. We have also provided list of best epilators in India based on the same information.
Best Epilators India
|Epilators||Tweezer||Cord or Cordless||Dry or Wet||Attachments||Buy Now|
|Braun leg Wet and Dry Epilator||36||Cordless||Wet and Dry||4||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Philips BRE635 Satinelle Cordless Epilator||15||Cordless||Wet and Dry||5||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Philips BRE245/00 Satinelle Epilator||1||Corded||Dry||2||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Braun Silk-Epil Wet and Dry Epilator||40||Cordless||Wet and Dry||8||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Veet Sensitive Touch Expert Trimmer||--||Cordless||Wet||6||CHECK ON AMAZON|
Top Epilator Reviews
First up in our top 10 list is Braun Silk-9-558 epilator. This is namely the world’s number one shaver brand. Talking about this product this is considered to be the fastest and precisely epilates giving you a smooth skin. This product has set itself apart with its microGriptweezers. This increases the plucking and feeding performance. It’s 40% wider head can remove the shortest hair even if its 0.5mm short. Making this more efficient than waxing.
This is a cordless device and can be used on both wet and dry skin.
Product dimension: 30 x 20 x 15 cm, 572 g
Attachments 3: ace epilator, skin contract cap,
- Lithium-ion battery
- Charging time 1 hour
- Run time 40 minutes
- 2-speed settings
- Can be used on wet and dry skin
- Pulsating Active Vibrations gives extra gentle epilation
- Smart head gives an ultimate precision
- Massaging cap vibration would be minimal for some
Next up is a product from a well know brand, Philips which is there in every household. This particular product is also efficient to remove 0.5mm hair. This comes with a 30mm wide epilator head and has a ceramic surface that gently extracts the finest hair. This can be used for both wet and dry epilation. Apart from all these nifty features this also has a skin stretcher that tightens skin during and prevent skin twitching during epilation.
Product dimension: 7.441 inches x 5.827 inches x 2.677 inches
Attachments 5: shaving head, trimming comb, facial cap, delicate cap, skin stretcher
- Lithium-ion battery
- Charging time 1.5 hour
- Run time 40 minutes
- 2-speed setting
- Opti light
- 2-year warranty
- Can be used on wet and dry skin
- Opti light enables to see the finest hair
- Gives you four weeks smooth skin
- Ergonomic S-shaped handle
- Works better on dry skin than wet
Yet another product from Philips. This is a trustable brand and it never fails to satisfy its customers. This is a corded device so it does not require any charging. This enables you to use it on dry skin. It has 2-speed settings to removes thick and thin hair. This products accessories can be conveniently cleaned washed off after every session of epilation
Product dimension: 5.5 x 11.5 x 14 cm, 181 g
Attachments 2: Shaving Head and Comb
- Cord length 1.8
- 2-speed settings
- Washable heads
- Comes with 2 speed for thick and thin hair
- Ergonomic grip
- 2-year warranty
- Can’t be used on wet skin
Next product is from our first favourite brand, Braun. This is a cordless device and can be used for both wet and dry epilation. The best part about this epilator is that it has 40 close-grip tweezers that can remove the finest hair. A 0.5m strand size hair can also be removed with this powerful device. To top it all you also get six attachments with its purchase. This can run for 40 mins with a charge of one hour.
This product comes with a 2-year warranty
Product dimension: 17.6 x 23.6 x 8.2 cm , 540 g
Attachments 6: Efficiency Cap, Shaver head, facial cap, sensitive area cap, high-frequency massage cap, trimmer cap
- Pivotal head
- Comes with a smart light
- It has a massage attachment to reduce discomfort
- Can be used on wet and dry skin
- Comes with a lot of attachment
- Smooth skin lasts up to 4 weeks
- Able to remove 0.5mm hair
- You can use it for underarms, legs, arms, face and bikini area
- The packaging is not proper
Our fifth product is Veet sensitive touch. As the name suggests this gently removes hair and precisely shapes your delicates body parts with its horizontal trimmer. This is ideal for your upper lips, sideburns and eyebrows. This is waterproof can be used both for dry and wet epilation.
Its stainless steel blades with titanium coating give you smooth touch-ups.
Product dimension: 10 x 3.5 x 21.4 cm, 200 g
Attachments 6: 2 sided inclinable precision head, comb attachment, bikini head, 2x bikini head comb attachments, cleaning brush, AA battery
- Battery run time 45 minutes
- AA battery
- Comb lengths 2mm, 4mm
- The package comes in a handy carry bag
- Shapes eyebrows precisely
- Doesn’t give you a clean shave
What is an Epilator?
Epilator is a handheld hair removal device just like an electric shaver. However, unlike shavers (which cuts the hair using blades), it will pull the hair using rotating tweezers. Some models use intense pulsed light (IPL) to remove hair from the roots instead cutting it from the surface. Apart from that, using epilators regularly will decrease the hair thickness and growth over the time. This makes it suitable for people who are looking for long-term benefits.
Different Types of Epilators
Based on their working mechanism, epilators are categorized into three types – Spring, Rotating, and Tweezer.
1. Spring Type Epilator
Spring type epilators are the most basic models which usually has spring mechanism. They are further categorized into two types – manual and electrical.
- Manual Spring Epilator – It is also referred as epilator stick which contains a tight smooth steel coil. When you twist it over the skin, the hair will get trapped with the coil gaps and pluck them out of the follicle. It is suitable for people who want a 100% natural solution for removing hair. Because facial hair is very thin compared to other body parts. Using epilator stick, it is possible to remove even tiny hair easily.
- Electric Spring Epilator – Mechanism of electric model is similar to epilator stick. But the coil twister will be powered with power or battery. When you turn on device, the epilator will make twisting movements to catch the hair and plucking them out. They are compact in size and available different versions. Actually, Epilady is the first company to introduce electric spring epilators into the market and that too in three models. Epilady classic is a corded one with one-speed and suitable for dry use. Epilday classic trio is corded one with three different speeds and suitable for dry use. Epilday esthetic is cordless, portable and dry use only.
2. Rotating Disc Epilators
The initial epilators introduced by Epilady were not a durable. This problem has become an opportunity for Remington company and they introduced their versions of epilators which are more durable and efficient as well.
The main difference between these two epilator models is – that rotating disc epilator have rubber discs instead of springs. During the movement of these discs, the hair will be grabbed and pulled out of the skin. Later on, the rubber discs are replaced with metallic discs covered in a plastic casing for safety purposes.
3. Tweezer Type Epilators
These are the latest epilators which are equipped with tweezing mechanism. Unlike general metallic discs in rotating disc epilators, in this epilator the tiny metallic plated will act as tweezers. They are available in different models. Efficiency of an epilator depends on number of tweezers provided in the epilator. First tweezer model was introduced into the market with three tweezers. But later on, the number of tweezers was increased for improving the efficiency. Now, the most efficient tweezer epilator comes with 72 tweezers.
How to Choose the Best Epilator?
Every epilator comes with different set of features that are specially designed to satisfy user requirements. Some epilators are waterproof and cordless while others are not. You have to choose the right one based on your preferences. In the below buying guide, we have provided all the information that helps you make the decision.
1. Corded or Cordless
Cordless epilators are powered with standard batteries which provide 40 minutes of run time on a single charge. So, this means you have to replace them once the power drains out. If rechargeable batteries are used, then they take 1 hour to recharge. These epilators are suitable for beginners as they are comfortable and affordable.
If you epilate more often, then you should choose for corded or rechargeable models. Cordless epilators lose their power over the epilating session. But corded epilators maintain consistent power. Cordless models last for about 5 years on an average but corded epilators last much longer.
Epilators come with different tweezers ranging from 1 to 72. If you are beginner, epilating can take some time. But by investing in an epilator with more tweezers helps you complete the epilation quickly. However, it can be painful. But at some time, the pain will also be for less time.
Purchasing an epilator with more tweezers doesn’t always mean quick results if the model isn’t capable enough. Most of the epilators come with tweezers made up of metal while some of them are made up of ceramic. Usually, the tweezers look similar to plastic. While searching for good epilator, never settle for a model that has less than 20 tweezers.
3. Dry or Wet
Some of the modern epilators can be used in under water and showers as well. Some of the wet and dry epilator models are Braun, Philips and Panasonic. As epilation is painful and less messy, you still like this option as using epilator in warm water calms down the skin. Under water the body will become less sensitive so plucking the hair will be less painful. Once epilation is completed, there will be less skin irritation compared to dry epilation. So, there will be less bumpiness and redness on the skin.
However, in the shower it is only possible to get hold of 40% hair as it will stick to the skin. So, most of the time it will finish the epilation outside the shower. Some wet and dry epilation models worked much better when legs were completely under water as the hair lifts up the skin which is easier to lift off the skin.
Wet and dry epilators are waterproof which come with a safety feature that shuts off the device once the plug is removed. You have to charge them up before using them. Using epilators under water will reduce their battery life. You have to consider this factor before making the purchase.
4. Massaging Cap
It is not a secret that epilators hurt as they are painful because it involves removing hair from just the root. Some companies have provided special attachment for making less painful. Some of them come with vibrating massaging cap.
The arrangement of vibrating caps didn’t make much difference but slow down the performance. This means that they will pluck less hair which can result in less painful experience. As they don’t pull out the hair at once. Wet and dry models are significantly less painful but they have issues with efficiency.
5. Speed Settings
Some epilator models come with different speed settings. Based on your hair type, you have to choose the best model available. Epilating different body parts require different speed levels. For example, thighs and arms are stiff which require fast speed setting. For bikini area and underarm area, slow speeds are better.
Though it is a myth that tweezers mean more painful but actually two speed setting is helpful. Slower speed settings mean epilation will be more delicate areas tolerable. Another option that can help to reduce the pain is choosing a wet epilator as you can use it in the shower. As warm water expands the skin, it will let you pluck the hair more easily but reducing the pain or plucking sensation.
6. Other Attachments
Most of the women usually use epilators on legs. However, if you want to use it on other body areas like bikini, underarms, or face, then you have to consider an epilator that comes with several attachments. These attachments will cover the head of the tweezer for decreasing the epilating area. As the caps will not change the dimensions of epilator, it will not make the epilator easier to move around. But for hard to reach areas, you have to choose a small sized epilator.
For facial area, regular epilator is not suitable as it is too powerful for delicate skin. For epilating face area, you have to choose a model that is specifically designed for face as the models will not rotate fast. Drawback of most facial epilators is that they are not rechargeable and battery operated.
7. Additional Features
Importance of every feature below is mainly based on how you want to use epilator. Having more features also means it will be expensive. This is the reason we have mentioned features that are beneficial for you.
- Extra-wide Epilator Head – This will cover more surface area which provides faster and effective hair removal.
- Exfoliating Brushes For Ingrown Hair – Some new epilators have sonic exfoliating brushes which will prevent ingrown hair. They come with swappable exfoliating brush which can be replaced once in every 3 months.
- In-built Light – Having a light built in to the epilator is helpful as it lets you see the skin clearly even in dim lighting conditions. As hairs can be seen clearly only best lighting conditions, it is better to have this feature. This will let you find out the fine hair and get them removed.
- Washable Heads – Some epilator head clips can be removed from main body which can be washed through running water. This will make it easy to clean and hygienic as well. This will ensure the epilator is safe to use.
- Trimming or Shaving Heads – The heads can be swapped to the main body of the epilator. They are usually small and specially designed for using the epilator for delicate body areas.
- Cleaning Brush – This will help to clean up the hairs over epilator. Cleaning them is important to maintain the epilator.
- Cover Cap – Most of the epilators come with a cap over the head while using this device. This will maintain the epilator clean and hygiene when you are not using it.
- Charging Stand – It is better to have a charging stand which can be placed in a convenient location. This will elevate the epilator off the ground while the charges will keep it clean.
To say the truth, epilators are very noisy. They can be as loud as an electric razor. And some of them can be even louder as well. Though this sound can be off-putting at first, you will get used to it. If you are thinking to use epilator discreetly or don’t want to disturb people while using it, then it is not a best choice.
No matter what the product is, it is always better to have a warranty as it provides insights on how reliable the product is and how confident the manufacturer is about the product.
Price of epilators usually depend on its features. Usually, they range from Rs. 1000 to Rs. 6000. Based on your needs and budget, you have to choose the model.
How to Use an Epilator?
The reason why people prefer to use these devices is that they are easy to operate. Right teenagers to elders, people can use it without any issues. If you want to know how to use, then below is the step-by-step process.
- First you have to hold the device at 90 degree angle (perpendicular) to your skin.
- Don’t press the epilator against the skin too hard. Just relax and let the tweezers do their work.
- Now you have to slowly move the epilator in the opposite direction of hair growth. Or else, you will end up just cutting the hair instead of plucking it from the root.
- Make sure to keep the taut because it will help the tweezers to grab hairs and causes less pain.
Things to Note:
If there isn’t any pain while epilating, then it means you are moving fast. Always remember slow movements for better results. And don’t forget to moisturize after every epilation session.
Why Should I Use an Epilator?
Below are some of the reasons why epilator is best choice for removing unwanted hair.
1. Perfect for Sensitive Skin
Compared to other hair removal techniques, epilators are much gentle on the skin. Manual razors have sharp blades that will cause burns, rashes and ingrown hairs. Epilation will let you provide smooth skin for up to four weeks. So, you can ditch the razor and say goodbye facial hairs for in the midweek stubble.
2. Less Messy
When you use a manual razor or waxing, you have to apply gels, wax, or shaving creams which can make the whole process sticky and messy. But with epilators, you don’t require costly and potentially skin-irritating extra.
3. No pricklier stubble
Epilators are designed to remove hairs from the roots to prevent the prickly stubble. As the epilators can remove short and fine hair (less than millimeter long), you don’t have to wait for long to let the hair grow out.
4. Adjustable Settings
Epilators come with different speed settings which allow you to customize the device based on how well the skin will accept the epilation process or which area you are going to epilate.
5. Decreases Hair Growth and Thickness
Pulling off the hair from roots will decrease the hair thickness which grows back. So, after few sessions you will notice softer and finer hair growth. And hair will take much longer to grow back so the chances of epilation will also decrease. The tweezing action will remove fine hairs as fine as grain of sand. So no more stray hairs while you enjoy the smoothness of skin.
Facial epilators are specially designed for removing facial hair. There are both wet and dry epilators for that help to remove body hair either with or without water.
Epilator Vs Waxing Vs Shaving
Below is the table representing the difference between these three hair removal methods.
|How long for hair regrowth?||Up to 4 weeks||3 to 4 weeks||Less than 1 week|
|Extent of damage to skin||No||Blemishes and rashes||Skin becomes harsh|
|Time consumption||Depends on epilator speed||Yes||No|
|Hair growth required||No growth needed||1/4th inch hair growth||No growth needed|
Advantages of Using an Epilator
- Suitable for sensitive skin: Epilators are more gentle on the skin as compared to razors. Razors drag their blades on the skin which can lead to razor burns.
- More efficient than waxing: Epilators can remove the finest hair. A hair strand of 0.5mm can be removed by an epilator but not through waxing.
- Less messy: if you are using a razor or waxing, shaving cream, gel or wax has to be used along with this. Making your hair removal process messy and tedious. However, this is not the case of an epilator. Only this product is efficient to remove hair without any requirement of cream or wax.
- Avoid prickly stubble: Epilators remove hair from the roots. This helps you get rid of the prickly stubble.
- Speed settings: Depending on the area you want to epilate you can choose your adjust your speed. This feature is not available with shaving or waxing.
- Gives you smooth skin for a longer period of time: By using an epilator you can have smooth skin for a longer period of time, estimated up to 4 weeks.
Frequently Asked Questions
It depends on the hair growth rate. But usually, it will may last for 4 weeks.
As the hairs are removed from the follicle, epilation is painful. The pain is more painful than waxing, especially facial hair removal. If you want non-painful hair removal methods, shaving and depilatory creams are the right choice.
Every time you epilate the skin, new hair that grows will be lighter and thinner as well. So, this will surely decrease the hair growth rate.
The main purpose of epilator is to remove the hair from its roots. But it doesn’t affect the skin tone. Using epilator regularly will decrease the growth rate.
Facial is more sensitive compared to body skin. So, using same cap that is used on body will make it more painful and less effective. A facial cap suitable for face will remove unwanted hair carefully.
The sad fact is that epilating can lead to waxing and shaving. Ingrown hairs are caused when hairs cannot break to the surface of skin. Instead of that, the hair will curl under the skin and continue the growth.
This would depend on your hair growth. But it roughly it can last for 4 weeks.
No, it is waxing that is much more painful than epilating. Wouldn’t say that an epilator doesn’t hurt. But it slowly gets tolerable with regular using.
Every time you epilate your skin the newly grown hair is thinner and lighter. So yes it definitely reduces hair growth rate.
No, the role of an epilator is to remove hair from the roots. It does not really affect your skin tone. Regular using an epilator can reduce your growth rate.
Facial skin is more sensitive than your body skin. Using the same cap that you use for your body will just make it more painful and less effective. A facial cap suited for your face and will gently remove the undesired hair.
Here you go, 5 best epilators that will keep you hair for weeks. Epilating can be a tricky process especially if you are doing for the first time. But with our tips, you can surely do it the right way.
The bottom line is using an epilator is much better than waxing or shaving. This is less messy, less painful and reduces your hair growth.
If you are wondering what would be the best pick among these top 6 epilators. Then we would suggest you Braun Silk-Epil 9-558 leg Wet and Dry Epilator with 5 Extras. This particular product has microGriptweezers and 40% wider head. This removes you precisely. This also efficient enough to remove the finest hair even if its 0.5mm. This is a cordless device and can run for 40 minutes on wet and dry skin.