Most newborn babies sleep in the same room as their mothers, at least for the first few months. However, it is not possible for moms to be physically present with their babies throughout the day as well. They need to take care of household chores and in the meantime, must also make sure their baby is well taken care of.
Here is where a baby monitor comes in handy. Even if you have a large house or your baby is in a different room, a baby monitor will let you know as soon as your baby wakes up, if she’s crying or hungry or if she’s fast asleep and happily dreaming.
The device generally consists of two parts – a transmitter to be kept in your baby’s room and a receiver unit which can either be a portable device or any smart gadget that you own could act as a receiver. These help to keep mothers stress-free because they will know as soon as their baby needs them, even if they are far away in another corner of the house.
Baby monitors can be used for different functions. Some are primarily meant for just transmitting audio (such as baby’s cries), advanced ones are capable of two-way digital communication (talking or singing to your baby) while other motion detector monitors are meant to ensure your baby’s heart rate or breathing are normal.
In this article, we have provided you with a buying guide for selecting the best baby monitor. Also, we have listed the useful features of the top 3 baby monitors being sold in India today to help you make an informed choice.
Things to Look For When Choosing a Baby Monitor
1. Types of Baby Monitors
Depending on their mode of functioning, baby monitors can be classified into the following 3 different types.
- Audio Monitors: These are cost-effective, simple devices which are quite small in size too. If opting for this type, make sure it has good volume adjustment options and great sound quality. Voice activation feature in an audio monitor is an additional bonus.
- Visual/Video Monitors: Includes a camera as well as the audio feature. It’s generally equipped with extra options like zoom/pan/tilt, additional cameras, night vision and two-way speaking. Video monitors can also be sub-classified into 2 types – dedicated visual monitor (with a parent unit in your room and a camera in the baby’s room) and Wi-Fi visual monitor (that can be connected to your computer, phone or tablet with the camera in your baby’s room).
- Movement/Sensor Monitors: These are used to keep track of your baby’s movements and are generally placed under the cot or crib mattress. It can be used to keep track of your baby’s heart rate, pulse or breathing and alert you if something goes wrong.
2. Analog versus Digital Baby Monitors
A majority of the baby monitors available today are of the digital type in which the audio and/or video transmission is encrypted or has a ‘digital lock’ as an extra precautionary feature to prevent misuse by a third party. Analog monitors use no encryption and are cheaper but not advisable for use, since anyone in its range may be able to listen in.
3. Size & Portability with Multiple Receivers/Transmitters
If your baby monitor comes with a receiver, make sure it is small and handy enough to carry it around in your house. Better still, try and opt for a monitor that gives you the option of working with any smart device you have as the receiver, or with more than one receiver at a time. This will make it more convenient for you to always know what your baby is up to while moving around for your daily chores.
4. Good Sound Quality & Range, with Minimum Interference
Even if you’re opting for a video monitor, it is always recommended to ensure that the sound quality, as well as the range of the receiver, is considerably good. You will probably be using it as a two-way mode of communication for your baby and she needs to be able to listen to your voice clearly. This would require the least interference as well from other nearby electronic devices. DECT (Digital Enhanced Cordless Communication) is a technology which offers certain monitors at a frequency different from most commonly used devices at home and hence, minimum interference.
5. Night Vision and/or Lullaby Mode
Infrared night vision is a very useful feature in certain digital baby monitors. This enables you to clearly keep a watch on your sleeping baby even in a dark room. If your monitor has a lullaby mode as well, then in-built lullabies can be played to soothe your baby if she is awake or crying.
6. Battery, Sound & Temperature Indicator Lights
It is always recommended to buy a monitor which alerts you with flashing lights in case of any of the following situations – low battery which may eventually lead to the monitor switching off by itself, a sound made by your baby when some other louder sounds such as that of the TV/radio/vacuuming are on or when the temperature set in your baby’s room goes over or below the set limits.
Top 3 Baby Monitors in India 2018
|Baby Monitors||Item Weight||Screen Display Size||Buy Now|
|Motorola MBP26 Video Baby Monitor||490 g||2.4 inches||Check the Price|
|Motorola MBP36 Remote Wireless Video Baby Monitor||907 g||3.5 inches||Check the Price|
|D-Link DCS-700L Wireless Baby Monitor Camera with Audio & Remote Viewing||200 g||Depends on device used||Check the Price|
The first product on our list is the MBP26 Video Baby Monitor and Camera by Motorola, a well-known American multinational popular for its telecommunication products. It comes with a 2.4 inches diagonal LCD color display to help keep an eye on your baby.
Equipped with wireless 2.4 GHz FHSS technology for sound clarity and no interference from other devices, this digital video monitor ensures a better range and hardly any probability of a dropped signal. The display also has enhanced infrared night vision feature for clarity even in darkness and inbuilt data encryption for extra security.
The pan and tilt feature of this digital device can be used to adjust the camera to suit your requirements. This monitor can support up to four cameras in all which can be used together to expand your viewing power. A visual sound level indicator and flip out parent stand are additional useful features of this Motorola baby monitor, which also has up to 25 FPS video playback.
The two-way communication feature of this baby monitor can help you to talk or sing to your baby clearly even when you are not in the room itself, to a considerable distance of up to 200 meters. An out-of-range alarm alert sounds up when you are getting out of range of the transmitting unit of the device, as an extra precautionary measure.
The low battery alert feature on the rechargeable battery unit of the parent device is a useful indicator of battery power. All you need is the press of a button or a swipe on your smartphone screen to comfort your child, even when you are not physically present with her in the same room. The Motorola MBP26 Video Baby Monitor comes with a warranty of one year provided by the manufacturer.
- 4 inches diagonal LCD color display
- 4 GHz FHSS technology for sound clarity & no interference
- Infrared night vision & in-built data encryption
- Pan & tilt feature; can support up to 4 cameras & 25 FPS video playback
- Two-way communication up to 200 meters
- Visual sound level & low battery alert indicators
- Flip out parent stand included in product
- 1 year India warranty provided by the manufacturer
- Night vision could be slightly better
The next product in our list also belongs to Motorola. This is the MBP36 Remote Wireless Video Baby Monitor, a relatively advanced version with additional features as compared to the previous model.
The monitor has a large 3.5 inches color LCD screen which can be conveniently placed anywhere in your baby’s room.Like the MBP26 model, this one too comes equipped with 2.4 GHz FHSS technology for extra sound clarity and to prevent crossed signals due to other devices in the vicinity.
With two-way communication and up to 25 FPS video playback option, the sights and sounds of your baby can be easily seen and heard even when you aren’t present in the room. Infrared night vision ensures clarity even in low lighting while the baby is asleep with dim or no lights.
The pan and tilt feature has an additional zoom option as well to view the image closely if required. A room temperature sensor is present on the receiver’s LCD display which helps you to control and set the optimum temperature in your baby’s room. Data encryption is the safety feature which encrypts all audio data transfers, just as a precautionary measure.
The five built-in polyphonic lullabies are useful to sing your baby to sleep through the device.There are also five LED alerts to indicate the sound levels in your baby’s room. A room temperature sensor, out-of-range warning alert for more than 200 meters distance and the option to add extra cameras are all features that could make the Motorola MBP36 Baby Monitor a useful buy.
- 5 inches color LCD screen
- 4 GHz FHSS technology for sound clarity & no interference
- Two-way communication with up to 25 FPS video playback
- Infrared night vision& built-in data encryption security feature
- Pan, tilt & zoom options
- Room temperature sensor& out-of-range warning alert features
- 5 built-in polyphonic lullabies
- Option to add additional cameras for better viewing
- Battery life could have been slightly better
- Relatively expensive
D-Link is a renowned global leader in connectivity and networking, with its headquarters in Taiwan. This DCS-700L Wireless Day/Night Baby Monitor is an economical device that comes with a good number of useful features.
Any mobile device like your smartphone can be used to remotely watch over your baby when connected to this monitor. Its infrared night vision feature automatically switches on in low light, enhancing the picture clarity without manual intervention.
Five soothing lullabies with interchangeable accents come built-in to the device, which can help your baby fall asleep when you are not around. Its sound detection and motion detection features detect and alert you to movement and/or loud noises too. The device has the option of getting its power from an additional USB battery as well.
The two-way audio communication system helps you listen to your baby as well as talk or sing to her. The DIY set-up with the mydlink baby app is quite simple and helps you to get notifications on your phone from time to time. It can be downloaded for free on Android, iPad and iPhone devices.
The D-Link DCS-700L Wireless Day/Night Baby Monitor Camera comes with interchangeable blue and pink color accent rings. The camera has a range of up to 16 feet in night vision with 4x digital zoom. It can be rotated and set as per your requirements.
- Two-way communication system
- Automatic turn-on infrared night vision feature
- 5 built-in soothing lullabies with interchangeable accents
- Motion & sound detection features
- Simple DIY set-up with mydlink baby app
- Up to 16 feet night vision with 4x digital zoom
- Interchangeable blue and pink color accent rings
- Relatively economical
- Works better in smaller rooms
- Image quality could get pixelated & unclear on zooming in
The “Motorola MBP26 Video Baby Monitor” is our top pick from this list of top 3 best baby monitors to buy in India this year because of its diagonal 2.4 inches color LCD display and FHSS technology which ensures sound clarity with hardly any instances of dropped signals. The pan and tilt features of its camera, infrared night vision as well as sound level indicators and FPS playback are additional useful features which can help bring peace of mind to you while you are physically away from your baby.The device also comes with a warranty of one year provided by the manufacturer.