Different people use different methods to boil eggs. Some people also purchase egg boilers explicitly to boil eggs. But, you can also use your regular electric kettle to boil eggs. It is a relatively easy process.
Boiling eggs can seem very simple but certain things can go wrong. An electric kettle does not need a stovetop and hence is very convenient to use. The electric kettle can not only be used to make tea and coffee but can be used to boil eggs too.
This kettle has a primary purpose. It is to boil water and keep it warm. Now, let us see how to boil eggs in an electric kettle.
The electric kettle must have a powerful motor that can boil water. Some of the additional features of the kettle are:
- Options to control the temperature.
- Automated shut-off mechanism.
- Maintaining warm water.
How can you Boil Eggs in an Electric Kettle?
The process of boiling eggs is not complicated. But, one wrong step can ruin the taste and texture of the eggs. An electric kettle can be used to get perfectly boiled eggs. However, you need to keep in mind that an electric kettle has exposed coils in the lower end. These coils can burn and ruin the eggs. There are mainly two methods to boil the eggs. They are discussed below.
- Soft-boiling eggs
- Hard-boiling eggs
There are various steps to soft-boil the eggs. They are explained in detail below.
1. Put down the eggs in the kettle
You need to open the lid of the kettle first. Then, gently keep the eggs inside the kettle. You must make sure that the eggs do not break or crack when you are placing them. If you place more eggs, then they will not boil properly. Also, avoid shaking the kettle when the eggs are in it. This might cause the eggs to break or crack.
2. Filling the kettle with 1 inch or 2.5cm water above the eggs.
Then, you need to fill the kettle with cold water till the tap. You also need to check that the water is at least 1 inch above the eggs. This will allow the eggs to boil properly.
3. Turn on the electric kettle.
Then, you have to switch on the electric kettle and allow the eggs to boil. If you have an automatic kettle, it will turn off after the eggs are boiled. If it is not automatic, you need to shut it down once you notice bubbles in the kettle.
4. Keep the boiled eggs in cold water.
Now, you need to fill a bowl with cold water. Then, you can use another vessel or another vessel to shift the eggs from the kettle to the bowl. This will stop the eggs from cooking any further. A tip for this step is to ensure that the water is very cold or you can add ice cubes to make the water cold.
5. Peel the eggs once cold.
When the eggs are cold enough to touch, you can take the eggs out of the water. Then, gently peel the shell off the eggs. Now, you can enjoy the delicious eggs with a bit of salt and pepper for the perfect effect.
Hard-boiling eggs also involves several steps. They are also discussed in detail below.
1. Put down the eggs and pour water in the kettle.
You need to place the eggs gently in the electric kettle. You should make sure that there are no cracks or breaks in the eggs. Then, fill the kettle with water. The water needs to be filled more than half the capacity of the kettle.
2. Switch the kettle on and let it boil.
Now, switch on the electric kettle and allow the eggs to boil. Suit and back and relax to let the eggs boil. If you own an automatic electric kettle, you can wait till the eggs are boiled and the kettle shuts down automatically. If you own a manual kettle, you should wait till the bubbling of the water and then turn it off.
3. Leave the kettle on for 15 mins.
Then for hard boiling of the eggs, you need to keep the eggs in the kettle for at least 15 minutes. It will let the eggs boil further in the hot water. Now, fill a bowl with cold water and shift the eggs into the bowl. For moderately hard eggs, keep them in the kettle for 13 minutes. For maximum effect, you need to keep them in the hot water for 15 minutes.
4. Peel the eggs and they are ready to eat.
Now, after you peel the shell off the hard-boiled eggs, they are ready to be served. If some adamant bits are stuck to the surface of the eggs, you can let them in the running water and they will come off easily. To get some good protein, you can pair them with salad. Or, you can also have them with a bit of salt and pepper.
Safety Tips to Consider When Boiling Eggs in the Electric Kettle
Some of the things to consider when boiling eggs in a kettle are given below.
- It is better not to use a kettle that has an exposed type of heating coil at the bottom of the kettle. It is more likely for the eggs to break in such a kettle.
- It is advisable to not put too many eggs at the same time for boiling. You should put as many eggs as the kettle can hold. For even coming off the eggs, you should fill half the kettle with eggs.
- The eggs might not boil properly if the whole kettle is filled with eggs. Therefore, you must keep some free space while boiling the eggs in the kettle.
- For soft-boiled eggs, you should keep the timer at 10 to 12 minutes. Similarly, for hard-boiled eggs, you should set the timer minimum for 15 minutes.
- You must not mess with the kettle when the boiling process is taking place. The eggs might crack if the kettle is shaken.
When you need to boil eggs but the stove or the pot is not available, the electric kettle is an amazing option. The additional advantage of the electric kettle is that it can be used for several other purposes. You can use it to make oatmeal, soup, or instant noodles. It can also be used to make hot chocolate or warm the baby’s bottles.