Are you a fan of action sports or do you enjoy your weekend rides around the country?
A mountain bike can be your favourite companion in all these trips and add a bit of thrill to your sports and improve your health at the same time.
Riding a mountain bike makes for a great cardiovascular exercise that improves heart health, reduces stress on the joints, improves mood and brain power and enhances balance and coordination.
But before your step into your local bike store or order a bike online, consider a few important factors such as the type of mountain bike you want, the wheel size of the bike, suspension type, material, number of gears, brakes, etc. to make an informed choice that suits your requirements.
Mountain Bike Choosing Guide
Cycling is a hobby for most of the children which improves the heart health, deep breath and immunization and much more. You may be overwhelmed with the choices and brands available in the market, but it’s an individual select the right one that matches with his/her preferences.
While choosing the best brand mountain, you should few important factors like types of mountain bikes, frame and wheel size, gears and brakes, material quality, brand reputation, price and warranty details. Let’s discuss each parameter in detail!
1. Types of Mountain Bikes
There are 4 to 5 different types of mountain bikes.
- Trail Bikes – This is by far the most common style of mountain bikes that do not fall in any specific racing category. It’s a perfect choice for those who meet friends regularly and considered as an all-rounder that can be used for local trailhead riding and low key climbing and descends. These’re worth buying and can be a great gift for your little ones.
- Cross-Country Bikes – Cross-country bikes are designed specifically for fast riding with an emphasis for uphill climbing. This style focuses on high efficiency and low weight and is ideal for competitive racing. It comes with a suspension of 80-120mm both front and rear side to overcome the obstacles – rocks while riding.
- All-Mountain Bikes – This style is specially suited for steep climbs and sharp descends and comes with more technical features so that they perform well on steep surfaces. Mountain-bikes are usually lightweight. The suspensions are around 140-170mm and frames are lowered to enhance the speed and stability.
- Fat Bikes – This style features wide and oversized tires which provide excellent traction on surfaces such as snow and sand. In this, the tire size may vary from 3.7-5 inches and choose the best one depending on the requirement. These fat bikes are perfect for beginners because of the wide tires and to move conveniently in a line.
- Down Hill Bikes – Of all the mountain bikes, downhill type bikes are the specialized ones. It features 65° steering head angle, long, and the sticky compound wires for comfortable usage. To add on, it has a suspension of 180-220 mm and a metal coil spring absorbs the shocks when you travel on hill areas at high-speeds.
2. Important Features of a Mountain Bike
Suspension type of a mountain bike determines the type of surface the bike is suitable for riding.
This type of mountain bike does not come with any suspension. These bikes are less expensive compared to the other mountain bikes are easier to maintain. But they do not provide the comfort that comes with suspension bikes. Fat bikes usually come under the rigid category because they already have wide types that absorb the shocks efficiently.
Hardtail suspension bikes come with a suspension fork in the front that absorbs any impact on the front wheel. But this type of bikes doesn’t have any suspension mechanism on the rear which makes them less expensive than full-suspension bikes. Hardtail suspension bikes are mostly preferred by cross-country bikers.
Full suspension bikes feature a front fork and rear shock absorber to absorb the impact of the bumps which in turn lowers the impact on the rider and provides a comfortable ride. The rear suspension of the bike can be locked out when required.
3. Wheel Size
The wheel size of the mountain bike determines the traction it provides and how easily the rider will be able to roll over rough surfaces.
- 26 inches – Although, 26 inch wheels were the standard wheel size for adult mountain bikes in the past, it has been replaced by 27.5 inch wheels. 26 inch wheels are still available are they are quite nimble and efficient.
- 5 inches – This has become the standard wheel size for mountain bikes because it provides a middle ground between 26 inches and 29 inches so the rider can enjoy the best of both worlds.
- 29 inches – 29 inch wheels are more difficult to manoeuvre compared to the 27.5 inch wheels and slower to accelerate, but they do cover the terrains easily.
- 24 inches – Mountain bikes for kids and children usually have 24 inch wheels and are suitable for kids aged 10 to 13 years.
4. Frame Material
The frame material of the mountain bike determines the weight, strength and durability of the bike. Aluminium alloy is the most widely used frame martial for mountain bikes. Some high end bikes also use full aluminium frames to make the bike more light weight. Other material used for frames include titanium, steel, carbon fiber, etc.
Mountain bikes are available in single speed as well as gears ranging from 22 to 30. The number of gears you choose should be determined by the type of surface you will be riding. Those climbing steel hills and mountains should choose a bike with more gears.
Mountain bikes feature either disk brakes or rim brakes.
- Disk Brakes – Disk brakes are present in entry level mountain bikes. They come with brake pads that hold onto the brake rotor present on the wheel hub. Disk brakes are either hydraulic brakes or cable activated brakes.
- Rim Brakes – Disk brakes are being replaced by rim brakes. Rim brakes com with pads that hold onto the wheel rims.
7. Affordable Price Range
Apart from the features and functionality, you should also look after the mountain bike price. Mountain bikes are available from 6000-20000 range. So, choose the best one that is your budget range and matches with the current requirements. If you can afford high-prices go with the high-end mountain bikes given in this article. They tend to be strong, enhance the riding performance and last-longer.
8. Brand Reputation and Warranty Details
Finally, it’s always good to purchase mountain bike from the well-known or reputed brand. It is because they offer decent quality products and exceptional warranty services from the date of purchase. Whereas, a low-quality bikes damages quickly and you may end-up investing more on spare parts.
Best Mountain Bikes in India
|Mountain Bikes||Frame Size||Speeds||Suspension||Wheel Size||Buy Now|
|Sturdy Fat Mountain Bike||18 inch||21||Hardtail||26 inch||Check the Price|
|Urban Terrain UT1000 Mountain Bike||18 inch||21||Front||27.5 inch||Check the Price|
|Love Freedom Jaguar Fat Bicycle||18 inch||21||Hardtail||26 inch||Check the Price|
|Cosmic Trium 27.5T Mountain Cycle||17 inch||21||Hardtail||27 inch||Check the Price|
|Hero Forester 26T 6 Speed Bicycle||19.7 inch||6||Dual||26 inch||Check the Price|
|Montra Helicon Disc Bicycle, Adults Large||19 inch||21||Rigid||26 inch||Check the Price|
|Hercules MTB Turbodrive Rocky 3.0 26T Bicycle||19 inch||Single||Rigid||26 inch||Check the Price|
Enjoy the early morning cycling with this Sturdy Mountain Fat Bike. It is one of the best mountain bikes under 20000 because of stylish + attractive design, and durable nature.
No other brand can compete with this model as it features 21 speed settings and holds maximum of 130 Kg capacity. For this reason, we’ve given top priority in the list of best mountain bikes in India.
This fat bike is specially designed for off road and on road purposes with 4 inch tires and 24 inch rim to offer smooth ride at uneven places and in low-pressure. The 18 inch carbon steel frame comes with height adjustment options to set between 5-6 feet.
It can even sustain at low pressure as well and the dual disc brakes give perfect braking. And the 21 speed gears let you choose the speed as per your requirement. When you purchase mountain bike online, you will get tool kit which contains wrench, locker, seat, and l-shaped screws.
To recapitulate, this Sturdy mountain bike offers exceptional performance throughout the usage and best to use for children aged 13+years, and adults. There are no major drawbacks too, so you can buy this bike without any delay.
What we like
- 18 inch silver frame.
- 26*4 inch frames size.
- Front and rare disk brakes.
- Comes at affordable prices.
- Features a repairing tool kit.
- Comes with 21 (7*3) speed settings.
- Supports maximum of 130 kg weight.
- Carbon steel frame with attractive design.
What we don’t like
- No major cons.
When it comes to choosing the best brand mountain bike, nothing can match with the performance of Urban Terrain Mountain Bike. It is well-suited for those who’ve crossed 11 years age and should have height of 5.4-6.2feet.
If you’re looking for a sturdy and heavy-duty cycle then this UT1000 series model is for you. It features 21 speed settings, double wall rim, and dual-disc brakes to move conveniently on roadsides.
The sturdy steel frame is constructed in a way that withstand in rough surfaces. Furthermore, it is absolutely a shock-proof nature and excellent strength to weight ratio. Seat can be adjusted according to the rider’s height without using any tools.
Double wall rims comes along with the wenda tires to offer superior gripping on the road and ensures longer lifespan.
The Shimano derailleurs and shifters are completely made using Japanese technology for smooth gear shifting and reliable performance. It comes with 21 speed settings where you switch the gears as per the rider’s requirement.
To conclude, the performance of Urban Terrain Mountain Bike is good and comes at reasonable prices. Also, the product is backed with 1 year manufacturing warranty from the purchase date. So you don’t have to worry about the repairing costs.
What we like
- 21 speed settings.
- 18 inches of frame size.
- Double walled alloy rims.
- Comes at affordable price range.
- Suitable for children aged 11+ years.
- Uses good quality and durable materials.
- Disc brakes on both sides – front and rear.
- Backed with 1 year manufacturing warranty.
- Available in black and grey colour combination.
What we don’t like
- Cheap quality reflectors.
- Rear gear may not work properly.
Most of the mountain bikes get dirty when you keep outside. But, this amazing bike from the love brand is highly rust-proof and comes in an attractive colour to match with the customer’s choice of interest.
This amazing bicycle features 18 inch steel frame that is suitable for people with height 5-6.2 feet. The stylish and sleek design tyres come with more width to offer fine gripping while you are travelling on the road.
The outer body is made of carbon steel and has the hardtail suspension. It also features double disc break mechanism with 160mm rotor disc and comes in medium and large frame sizes. It has 26T speed settings which can be adjusted and a fire thumb shift, shimano gear systems for seamless cycling experience.
Wrapping up, this is the best mountain bike available in the market and grabbed the audience attention with its unique style and design. The only downside is that the gears may damage quickly because of the poor quality.
What we like
- Rustproof steel body.
- Suitable for both kids and adults.
- Requires less maintenance costs.
- Hardtail suspension mountain bike.
- Uses toughened carbon steel material.
- Simple and attractive design mountain bike.
What we don’t like
- Inefficient gears.
Cosmic brand is the leading brand in India online because it offers outstanding products with good customer support services. A recent survey shows that riding a bicycle lessens the risk of heart disease by 50%. For those, who want to improve the health and be fit, get Cosmic bicycle to home.
It is one of the decent-quality models that just weighs 16 kg and incorporates 17 inch frame size, 21 speed settings, hardtail suspension type and the wheel size is around 27 inches. Another important reason for buying this bicycle online is that it supports for both men and women.
The frame is made using quality steel material which makes it lightweight and strong at the same time. You will get the attachments like water bottle, bottle holder, front LED light, rear danger light, cable lock, wheel reflector, seat, pedal seat and much more. All of them make the things easy for you without causing any disturbances.
To summerize, the performance of this mountain bike is good and offers wonderful riding experience keeping the price in concern. Though it cannot compete with the top-notch brands, keep in touch with the latest improvements and design accordingly.
There is no issue with the mountain bike quality, but the few attachments like bottle holder, cable lock may damage quickly because the product manufacturer uses cheap quality material. Overall, it will be great if you have this Cosmic bike at home.
What we like
- Comes with 21 speed settings.
- Large 27.5 inch double alloy wheels.
- Hardtail suspension type mountain bike.
- Should be used for children aged 12 or above.
- Available in black and blue colour combination.
What we don’t like
- Not so good suspension.
- Attachments are of poor build quality.
What could be the better way to experience outdoors than having a Hero Mountain Bike. Hero brand started by manufacturing small cycle parts and slowly become the best cycle brands in India. With this amazing Hero mountain bike, you can now enjoy the ride comfortably and effortlessly.
It is perfectly designed to ride on/off the road using 6-speed settings depending on the requirement. Anti-skid pedals helps for proper feet gripping and a mudguard to protect the cycle from dirt.
The durable 19.7inch steel frame ensures smooth riding and runs for a long-time without any disturbances. Dual-cantilever braking system offers rear coaster for solid control, safety and reliability.
When you buy hero cycle online, you’ll get a tool kit which contains seat, spanner, reflector, pedals, screws, saddle and clips which you need to assemble on your own. The manufacturer didn’t provide the installation guide which makes difficult for beginners/newbie. Also, you need to check the attachments thoroughly otherwise you may miss small attachments like screws, indicator lights etc.
What we like
- Dual suspension mechanism.
- Comes with semi-assembled parts.
- Suitable for children above 11+years.
- Made using fine quality steel material.
- Available in black and green colour combinations.
- Features 6 speed settings to control and navigate.
- 26 inches of tire size and 19.7 inches of frame size.
What we don’t like
- Difficult to assemble.
- Check the attachments thoroughly.
Montra Cycle is a high performance bikes manufactured in India and is committed to provide standard customer support services. This amazing product comes with 85% pre-assembled state so you don’t face difficulty in assembling the hardware parts. Further, it best suits for cyclists whose height is between 5.8-6.5 inches.
Compared to other popular brands, it looks ultra-stylish and the rust-proof body makes it suitable to use in hill areas, muddy roads, etc.
You will get a 19 inch frame size and 27.5 inches of wheel size to move comfortably on tough surfaces. The frame and other hardware equipments are made using aluminium alloy material, making it dirt-free and highly durable.
The dual disc brakes are provided on both the sides i.e. front and rear to stop mountain bike at a steady rate. Prismatic reflectors can be fixed at front and back which acts as a mirror reflect light i.e. especially at night times.
What we like
- Comes at inexpensive rates.
- Front and rear dual disc functionality.
- Alloy cage pedals for easy momentum.
- Adjustable seating option and PU saddle.
- 19 inches of frame size and 27 inch wheel size.
What we don’t like
- Not well assembled.
- May face difficult with the front and rear wheel alignment.
Finally, we end up with Hercules Turbodrive Mountain Bike. We’ve listed this product in best brand mountain bikes because of the low-cost nature, durability and smooth riding options. Hence it is considered as the best budget mountain bike in India among popular choices.
This mountain bike comes under 10000 category, so you don’t have to invest more. Talking to the product specifications, it features Y-shaped step through frame to make the rider handle the bicycle and move freely on/off the roads.
The 26 inch wheel size makes it comfortable to use on tough roads and 19 inch frame offers extreme support to the rider. And the Turbodrive chain wheel crank makes easy to move the cycle from one place to another without causing any damage.
On the whole, this Hercules bicycle comes with lot of features at cheap prices. I’m pretty sure that you’ll love to ride this bicycle in early mornings to stay strong and healthy. The minor thing is that you just need to assemble few parts like pedals, reflectors, etc. and beware of getting damaged/used models from the seller.
What we like
- Comes at cheap rates.
- Turbodrive chain wheel crank.
- Y-shaped step-through frame.
- Dirt-proof steel frame material.
- Caliper brakes for smooth functioning.
- 19 inches of frame and 26 inches wheel size.
What we don’t like
To be fit and healthy you need to do physical activities or exercises. Doing physical activities protects you from several health problems like obesity, heart disease, cancer, mental illness, diabetes and arthritis.
Riding a bicycle is one of the best ways to reduce the risk of health problems associated. Our top pick from the list is Sturdy Fat Mountain Bike that let you enjoy riding and best for obese people who wish to lose weight. It supports maximum of 130 kg weight, 18 inch carbon steel frame and comes with height adjustment options to support between 5-6 feet.
Did we miss anything? Which brand mountain bike you like the most? Are you using any of the popular brands? Let us know in the comment section given below… J J J