After a day of hard work, it is ultimately our bed that offers us the much-needed relaxation. It is our haven that gives us comfort when we need it the most and helps us leave our stress behind for the day. But what makes a bed comfortable? Most people will answer-‘Mattress’. Well, yes, it is true. Without the mattress, a bed is a hard block that will offer us no more pleasure than the solid floor would.
Often, we buy a mattress with a mentality to use it for decades. But it is often the case that the comfort a mattress gives tends to diminish as the years pass. Mattresses sag, shrink and dent, forming an uneven surface. They also lose their softness over the course of time. There is no denying the fact that a good mattress costs a lot, and to change it every couple of years might sound like heavy expenditure.
So, what is the solution? How can a person sleep in cozy comfort even when a mattress gives way or lose its comfy-factor? Additionally, many people have joint troubles and other physical ailments which augment when they sleep on their existing mattress. The answer is to buy ‘mattress toppers. These are thinner versions of mattress that are soft, cozy, fluffy light, and costs way lesser than the actual mattress.
If you keep tossing and turning at night owing to your uncomfortable old saggy mattress, buying a mattress topper is a good solution. Even if your mattress is new, you can buy a mattress topper to expand the lifetime of your newly-bought mattress. With the right kind of mattress topper, you will get the rich feeling of delving into a fine, luxurious, ultra-plush hotel bed as you mount it for sleeping.
Best Mattress Toppers in India: Product Details
|Product Name||Filling Material||GSM||Thickness||Number of Size Options||Washable||Buy Now|
|AVI Soft 700GSM Mattress Padding/Topper||Hollow fiber||700||2 inches||10||Yes||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Jaipur Linen 3000 GSM Mattress Padding/Topper||Microfiber||3000||3.5 inches||12||Yes||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Linenovation 500GSM Mattress Padding/Topper||Hollow fiber||500||2 inches||13||Yes||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|FITMAT Mattress Topper with Cover||Memory Foam||NA||2 inches||12||No(Detachable cover is washable)||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Rajasthan Mattress Padding/Topper||Microfiber||NA||2.5 inches||1||Yes||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|AMZ 500 GSM Mattress Padding/Topper||Microfiber||500||1.5 Inches||9||Yes||CHECK ON AMAZON|
Best Mattress Toppers in India 2019
With its hollow fiber filling and 700 GSM, the AVI mattress topper has made it to the top of our list. This mattress is not just cozy but hypo allergic too. It will give you a soft and luxurious feeling within a very reasonable price.
The actual thickness of this mattress topper is 2inches, which will drop down to 1.5 inches with prolonged use. This mattress padding has no unpleasant odour to disrupt your sleep. There are elastic straps on all four corners so that you can fasten them to the edges of your mattress to keep this topper in its place.
The top layer of this mattress pad is made of cotton for maximum comfort. While the filling is done with hollow strand polyester fiber. It is a synthetic hypoallergenic material, that will give you the luxurious feeling of goose down, minus the cruelty and the exorbitant price.
There are 10 ready-made sizes available in this mattress padding; you can also go for the ‘customize’ option to get the size of your need. It is an accepted fact that white beddings give the best comfort, but it can be hard to maintain. So, there are 11 color options available for you to choose from.
- The top cover is made of cotton.
- There are stitching all over it so that the fillings remain in their place for years.
- This mattress topper has a thickness of 700 GSM.
- There are 10 ready-made sizes available along with a customized size option.
- 11 color options are provided by the brand to suit the choice of all.
- Owing to the kind of its filling, this mattress does not have any odour and is hypoallergic.
- Its thickness (after unboxing) is 2 inches.
Everything about this mattress topper is fantastic. With a 2-inch thickness and hollow fiber filling, this one will be a worthy addition to your bedding. It is very reasonably priced and will give you the best sleep you have had so far.
- Cotton top layer
- Hollow fiber filling
- Reasonably priced
- Multiple Size and color options
- Little shrinkage after prolonged use
- Tends to trap body heat to some degree
If you are searching for the best mattress topper that can give you the maximum comfort while sleeping, then this product from Jaipur Linen is the one. It has a whopping 3000 GSM that ensures a very decent amount of filling, which is incredibly soft at the same time. The reason we have placed it 2nd on our list of the best mattress toppers in India is because of its price. It is pricier as compared to all other items on this list.
This Mattress padding by Jaipur Linen has a skin friendly cotton top cover. Its filling comprises of premium quality imported super microfiber, which is a fine synthetic fiber that renders optimum comfort.
The brand has made it available in 12 sizes. Hence, no matter what the size of your bed is, you will find your match here. In case your bed size does not match any of the ready-made size options, you can always settle for the ‘customized’ size. There are 10 color options as well.
It has a thickness of 3.5 inches, which is way more than many brands are offering. Also, it shrinks lesser than most other products out there. With this kind of thickness, you can as well use it as a makeshift mattress for the nights when guests arrive unannounced.Notable Features
- It has a thickness of 3.5 inches.
- There are elastic fasteners on all four sides of it.
- The top sheet is made of cotton.
- Premium quality imported super microfiber filling.
- There are baffle box stitches for the filling to be equally spread out.
If you can manage to shell out some extra money, we would completely recommend you get this mattress topper. This is indeed one of the best options you will ever find. Simply place it over your old mattress and experience the luxury of a 5-star hotel bed right in your home!
- The thickness is 3.5 inches (when purchased)
- Good quality material
- Super soft
- Elastic fasteners on all four sides
- Minimal shrinkage
- Color and size options are available.
- Item weight is on the heavier side
This mattress topper is the best budget buy on our list. It has a thickness of 2 inches and is one of the best products that you can get within budget. We have placed it third on this list of the best mattress toppers in India because it has a GSM of 500, which is a little lesser than the first two products.
The upholstery is made of cotton, and the filling is of hollow fiber. It is a worthy addition to your bedding that will comfort you way more than your current mattress is offering. This topper is available in 13 sizes along with 6 color options.
- It has baffle box stitches to hold the filler in place.
- 4 elastic straps for enabling it to be a good fit for your mattress
- The cotton upholstery is skin friendly and very suitable for tropical weather
- This mattress topper has good quality hollow fiber filling
If you are on a budget, this one is the best topping material for your mattress you will get in the market. This mattress pad is nothing out of the ordinary but is decent enough to give you comfortably sleep.
- Cotton upholstery
- Elastic straps
- Box Stitches
- Hollow fiber filling
- Color and size options available
- Tends to flatten out on extended use
- Has to be kept under the sun once every three months
- 500 GSM
For those who would like a comfortable sleep but are not enthusiastic about the melt-into-able feeling that microfiber and hollow fiber mattress toppers give, here is a mattress padding you would love. This 2 inches thick FITMAN memory foam mattress topper comes with 3 years of warranty and will contour your body to relax it completely.
It distributes the body weight equally and lessens tossing and turning at night. You can use it for a long duration without having to worry about this mattress topper flattening out. It is made of memory foam, which has the property of naturally getting back into its original shape each time bodyweight is removed from it.
This product ranks 4th on our list as it will have a distinct chemical smell on unboxing. However, the manufacturer claims that the smell will go away within 3 to 4 days if kept in a well-ventilated room. Also, the weight of this item tends to be on the heavier side. This mattress is not washable, but it comes with a detachable top cover which you can wash.
This mattress topper is especially suited for people who suffer from back or joint pain. It reduces body ache and soreness by distributing the body weight evenly, which minimizes the pressure points. It will give you all the comfort of a top-notch mattress topper minus the side effects that occurs from sleeping on very soft surfaces.
- The mattress topper is made of memory foam.
- It comes with a detachable top cover with zipper.
- There are elastic straps on all sides for acting as fasteners to your existing mattress.
- The top cover is washable.
- This mattress topper comes with 3 years of warranty.
- It contours the body and distributes body weight evenly.
This body contouring mattress topper is comfortable, relaxing and is very good for persons with back or joint aches. Although it has a distinct chemical smell that might not go down well with everyone, if you can get past that, this is a superb option to buy.
- Body contouring
- Good for patients with back and joint pain
- Soft and comfortable
- Detachable top cover
- Elastic straps
- 3 years warranty
- 12 size options
- Price is on the higher side
- Memory foam is not washable
- Might not be usable immediately after unboxing
- No color options are available
- Memory foam tend to retain body heat
This is yet another good mattress top cover on our list worth buying. The inner filling is of microfiber, which acts as a better filler as compared to hollow fiber. This 2.5-inch-thick mattress will give you soft cushioning as you hit the bed after a day’s work.
Although made with good quality material, this mattress topper from Rajasthan Crafts ranks 5th on our list as you will not get any color or size options in this one. It is available only in white color and is fit for king size beds. Additionally, it costs slightly higher than the other micro/hollow fiber mattress toppers of 2 or 2.5 inches thickness.
You can wash this one at your convenience, and it comes with elastic straps for stability. The baffle box stitching that is done throughout its length and breadth ensures equal distribution of the fillers.
- It has premium cotton fabric cell
- Microfiber filling
- There are elastic straps on all the edges
- You can wash this mattress topper whenever you like.
- The manufacturer said that it would shrink by half an inch over sustained use.
- The baffle box stitches prevent dislocation of the fillers
It is especially suitable for persons who are allergic because of its dust resistant and anti-mites properties. It is a good buy that will maximize your comfort-factor as you sleep. However, it tends to shrink and might not be a very durable option.
- Microfiber filling
- Has elastic fasteners
- Baffle box stitching
- No odour
- Soft and comfortable
- Shrinks over sustained use
- Tends to flatten after a few washes
- Size or color options are not available
Last but not the least is the mattress topper by AMZ. Although it has premium quality super microfiber filling, it ranks 6th the on the list of the best mattress toppers in India. This mattress topper has only 500 GSM and its thickness is 1.5 inches, which is lesser than all other products listed so far.
This mattress topper is easily washable and is lightweight. Hence you can carry it places if you like. It comes with elastic straps that can expand to fit a mattress up to 12 inches thick. There are baffle box stitches that hold the microfibers in their places.
However, it has pretty limited color options and there are 9 sizes available in this mattress topper. It is durable, foldable, does not require much maintenance. You can easily wash, carry and pack this one to suit your need.
- It has premium quality microfiber filling.
- You can easily wash it.
- This mattress topper has a cotton upholstery.
- It is soft, light and easy to carry.
- The thickness of the mattress topper is 1.5 inches.
- There are baffle box stitching on the entire mattress topper.
- The elastic bands on the edges can easily fit a mattress up to 12 inches of thickness.
- You can get this mattress in 9 sizes.
It is certainly one of the best and will enhance the quality of your sleep with its soft comfort, but it is not an out of the ordinary product. You can buy this mattress topper if you want a light and durable mattress padding for your bed that does not retain body heat.
- Microfiber filling
- Elastic fasteners
- Cotton top layer
- 9 size options
- slightly elevated edges
- Baffle box stitching
- Does not generate heat
- Only 1.5 inches thick with 500 GSM
- Limited color options
Buying Guide: Things to Consider while Buying A Mattress Topper
If you want to get the best mattress topper for yourself, you simply cannot close your eyes and swap your card to buy the first product you lay your hands on. To get the best mattress topper, you must consider the following things before buying.
1. Material- Quality Matters the Most
This is by far the single most important thing that a person should concern himself with before buying a mattress topper. Mattress pads are available in many materials; I am listing down the most popular ones; –
a. Memory Foam
Memory foam is an excellent choice as a mattress topper material. It moulds and provides ample support to your body and is very durable. However, you might experience a chemical smell on unpacking, which will remain for a few days. Also, it can trap body heat, and it is best to sleep with the AC on while using a memory foam mattress topper.
If you are searching for the softest mattress topper, then you should most certainly go for one which is made of feather. These provide extreme comfort, but they might not provide support and aren’t the most durable either. This isn’t a good choice for persons who are prone to allergies and tend to cost on the higher end of the price scale.
Fibers mattress toppers mimic the properties of feathers but are made of synthetic material and are hypoallergic.There are two major types:
- Hollow fiber- This type of mattress toppers is made from fibers that have a certain space between each strand. These are generally light and breathable. They are a good choice for all weather. However, on the downside, the hollow fiber can shrink to a certain extent over the span of time.
- Microfiber– Microfiber toppers have comparatively lesser space between the strands. These mattress pads are dense and can be a bit warmer as compared to the hollow fiber ones. However, they are soft, light, and shrinks lesser than the hollow fiber mattress paddings as well.
If you are searching for an environmental-friendly option, then a latex mattress topper is your thing. This type of topper provides a good amount of support to the neck and back while being soft to a considerable degree at the same time. A latex mattress topper is very durable, does not absorb any body heat and cost more than most mattress topper materials.
Wool mattress toppers are popular, but this type might not be your best pick if you hail from a warm region. Additionally, it is tough to keep a wool topper in its place, even with fasteners. However, if you are from a cooler state, then you can most certainly buy it.
Cotton was and still is one of the materials that is popularly used in mattress toppers. It is pocket-friendly, eco-friendly, and provides the right amount of support. But it also requires some maintenance and tends to flatten over sustained use.
2. Thickness- The Thicker the Better
The average thickness of most of the mattress toppers ranges between 1.5 inches to 5 inches. It is indeed up to you to choose the thickness of your mattress padding, but we recommend a minimum thickness of 2 inches. Most mattress toppers flatten slightly over the course of time, so it is best you buy a thicker topper keeping durability in mind.
If you are a side sleeper or weigh more, you should most definitely settle for a thicker mattress topper for better comfort. One way to gauge the mattress topper’s thickness is by having a look at the GSM. The more the GSM, the thicker will be the product.
3. Size- Accuracy Matters!
A mattress topper of the wrong size is of no use. In case you get a bigger topper, it will have the propensity to slide down every time you get down from your bed. And if you order a smaller one, it will limit your sleeping area. Needless to say, that the elastic straps will not work for either type of the misfits and so, your mattress topper will not have the necessary amount of stability. It is best to check the size of your mattress accurately before ordering a topper for the same.
4. Heat Retention- For Cozy & Comfortable Mornings
Nobody likes to get up hot and sweaty from their sleep. Hence you must look for mattress toppers that do not retain heat. Generally speaking, mattress toppers made of memory foam can retain body heat, while mattress pads made of hollow fiber are a great choice in this aspect. However, if you are from one of the colder states, a mattress topper that retains heat will actually work in your favor by keeping you warm as you sleep.
5. Budget- The Ultimate Deciding Factor
Price can be a limiting factor for many customers. While searching for the best mattress topper, we advise you to stick to your budget. However, it is something that will decide how good and comfortable you are while you sleep. So, in case, your budget is not allowing a decent quality mattress topper, do a little bit of saving before making the final purchase.
6. Other Factors- So that You Don’t Miss Out
- Top Layer– It is the surface layer of the mattress topper. The top layer should be a skin-friendly, durable and comfortable. Cotton is perhaps the best material as it has all the characteristics of a good top layer for mattress toppers.
- Baffle Box stitching– Most mattress padding comes with box stitching (except memory foam and latex, as they do not need it). However, if you spot one that does not, don’t buy it. These stitches help keep the filling in their place and prevent unwanted piling, which is very important and you will understand it the hard way if you buy a mattress topper without an adequate amount of stitching.
- Elastic Straps– People often miss this feature out while buying a mattress topper. If these straps are lacking, you will have a hard time keeping the mattress topper in its place. Hence, make sure that your mattress topper has elastic straps on all four sides with good stretchability for fitting your mattress perfectly.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is a mattress topper?
Simplistically, a mattress topper is the thinner version of a mattress. They have a lesser height that can range anywhere between 1 inch to 5 inches. You should place a mattress topper directly over your mattress and put the bed-sheet on top to use it.
2. Why do I need a mattress topper?
A saggy and shrunken bed can lead to several problems, which includes back pain, joint aches, etc. It can also hinder with the quality of sleep. A mattress topper is just the thing you need to minimize the endless tossing and turning at night. With a mattress topper, you will get a comfortable position easily that will make you fall asleep quicker.
If you have purchased a brand-new mattress, a topper can still be of help as it can add years to the life of your mattress apart from giving immense comfort.
3. Which is the best mattress topper?
Mattress toppers made of latex are perhaps the best choice, but they can also be pretty expensive. People who want most of the properties of natural latex toppers minus the price can settle for ‘memory foam mattress paddings.’ Microfiber and hollow-fiber are pretty decent and popular choices too.
4. Can I wash Mattress Toppers?
Whether you can wash your mattress topper or not depends on the material it is made of. For instance, latex and memory foam mattress paddings are not washable. But you can easily wash your mattress topper if it is made of microfiber, hollow fiber, cotton or wool.
5. Who should buy mattress toppers?
The answer is, everyone. In case your mattress is old and has an uneven surface, you should buy a topper to make the surface smoother and sleep in comfort. However, if your mattress is newly bought, then a mattress topper will help in extending the life of the mattress by being a top layer that takes all the pressure.
You can also buy a lightweight mattress topper if your work requires you to travel frequently and to remote places. All the hotels and their bed might not be up to the mark. A mattress topper will ensure that you get quality sleep, no matter what the quality of the underlying mattress is.
6. What kind of mattress topper should I buy if I have backache?
If you have backache, then you should go for mattress toppers made of memory foam or latex. These materials have body contouring features that will give ample support to your spinal cord.
7. Do mattress toppers enhance sleep quality?
Yes. All the good quality mattress toppers enhance sleep quality. They give you comfort, support and a soft surface that relaxes each of your muscles as you rest your body, thus enhancing the quality of sleep.
8. Should a Mattress Topper be firm or soft?
There is a huge debate over this topic. However, research says that a person who likes to sleep on his or her back should get a mattress pad that is firm so that his or her spinal cord does not form a curve while the person is asleep. If you are a side sleeper, then a soft mattress topper is the best to contour your curves and provide support to your body. People who like to sleep on their stomach should buy mattress toppers that are neither firm nor soft.
9. Can I wash mattress topper in the washing machine?
Read the wash care instruction of your mattress topper carefully before giving it for a wash. As mattress toppers are heavier, I personally recommend that you do a bucket wash with cold water by using a mild detergent. Machine wash can damage the mattress topper’s stitching and cause the filling to dislocate.
In our opinion, the overall best buy for an Indian customer would be the AVI mattress topper. It is made with good quality hollow fiber and offers the comfort of a luxurious hotel bed at a pretty reasonable price. However, if cost is not a limitation for you, the one from Jaipur Linen will do exceptionally good as your mattress topper. In case you have back pain or want a super-durable mattress padding, you can try the topper from FITMAT.
Write a comment regarding your experience with any of the above-listed mattress toppers, in case you are using one. Also, if I have missed reviewing a good product, let me know by writing in the box below.