Be it short or long, hair straighteners are the perfect solution to get straight hair every day at home. Most of the us spend a lot of money and time to get our hair styled in the saloon.
But by investing in a hair straightener, you can straight, curl, increase hair volume and style your hair as per your requirements.
Right choice of a hair straightener will not only last long but also protect your hair from damage, breakage, splits and uneven textures.
So to make the right choice, we recommend considering below factors…
- Fine and Thin Hair – Ceramic plated hair straighteners are best as they are perfect for smoothening and reducing hair frizz.
- Thick Hair – Titanium plated are perfect as they heat up quickly and maintain high temperature, making the straightening process easily.
- Curly/Frizzy Hair – Tourmaline straighteners are perfect as they are effective even at lower temperatures.
- Damaged Hair – Tourmaline plates are perfect as they produce more negative ions which reduce frizz and sealing hair shaft.
2. Plates Width
Basic thumb rule – Wider the plates are, faster you will complete the straightening. Below, we have mentioned options based on hair type…
- For long and thick hair – 2 inch or more
- For coarse and curly hair – 1 ½ inch
- For curls, perms, waves – 1 inch
- For short hair, bangs, spikes – mini plates
Most of the hair straighteners come in temperature range from 160 to 220 degrees C. For thin, fine or damaged hair, prefer 180°C or below. But for thick and curly hair, you can go for higher settings (190°C or above).
Other considerations include quality, grip, indicators, weight, etc. For more information, you can read our Buying Guide
We have also shortlisted Top 8 Hair Straighteners in India based on the same information.
Table of Contents
Best Hair Straighteners in India
|Philips HP8302 Essential Selfie Straightener
|Check On Amazon
|Braun Satin Hair Straightener
|140 – 185° C
|Check On Amazon
|Philps HP8316/00 Kerashine Hair Straightener
|Keratin Infused Ceramic
|Check On Amazon
|Havells HS4101 Hair Straightener
|Check On Amazon
|Syska Superglam HS6810 Hair Straightener
|Check On Amazon
|Kemei KM-329 Hair Straightener
|160- 220 °C
|Check On Amazon
|Nova NHS 860 Hair Straightener
|160- 220 °C
|Check On Amazon
|Vega VHSCC-01 3 in 1 Hair Styler
|Check On Amazon
Best Hair Straighteners Reviews in India 2022
If you want a straightener from a reliable brand and also expect it to be budget friendly then you should definitely give a try to our 1st product on the list called the Selfie straightener which is from Philips. The world famous electronic company got instantly popular in the market of hair straighteners since it became a trend.
The Selfie Straightener has ceramic plates that evenly distributes the heat all over and holds the heat for a longer time. Their special Silk pro care formula ensures straightening with less heat exposure and lesser friction while you pull your hair strands, which is bound to give you salon like silky smooth straight hair.
This mini kit can heat up with an ideal 210 degree C within just 60 seconds and heats up enough so that you don’t go over and over the same sections, saving your hairs from potential heat damage.
It has 1.6 m cord which offers you enough flexibility when you work while a swivel cord lets you rotate the thing as you move with the straightener while straightening. Also, the small yet powerful styling tool is compatible to work anywhere with 110-220V of power.
In short, the unit is amazing with its quality, versatility and affordability. It is the best budget pick for frizzy and curly hair type. We love how lightweight it is, a fact to consider because it takes very little space when locked and feels so light that you can take it anywhere you go. Also the minimal weight doesn’t put pressure on your arms while you straighten your hair. One drawback is the thinner plates are not suitable for long and thick hair.
- Top quality ceramic plates
- 60 seconds fast heating
- Reaches 210 degree C for perfect salon straight look
- Adds shine to your hair
- Tin plates can be used as a curler
- Lightweight, easy to carry and hold
- Swivel cord for better flexibility
- 2 years of warranty from Philips
- Thin plates takes more time in straightening long and thick hair
This Braun has world’s 1st and only SensoCare that has unique personalized heat adaptation for professional styling results. With this automatic temperature adaptation technology, it brings hair styling to the next level. It has precision sensors that read moisture level of hair and thus adapts the temperature to suit your hair needs.
It comes with 100% ceramic plate which provide smooth gliding with resistant to styling product residue. The floating plate of this device will distribute the pressure/heat evenly by reducing the stress and tension on hair to prevent damage.
It provides healthy looking hair and smooth long-lasting styles with its maximum heat protection for every hair strand. It features an intelligent display, which allow you to personalize the way you style for best results. It will provide display on the hair’s moisture level and speed in every stroke for optimal styling.
Due to its curved edge design, it also acts as a curl shaper that allow you to achieve perfect waves and curves. The cool tip will aid for maximum control and safe handling in every glide to style your hair. The tool gets heat up quickly and help you to achieve the salon ready hair in no time. 1.8-meter power cord length will give the maximum flexibility to style the hair in various directions.
Also, it will let you save the information about hair like thickness, length, etc. to tune to device adjust the temperature automatically. The user can share this hair styler with their friends or family, as it can save up to 3 different profiles.
It is perfect for those who love to style their hair daily without damaging. It is lightweight and used to style both straightening & curling your hair. Also, it minimizes the friction and heat exposure and provides a shiny salon look. But the only drawback is that it is not good for curling long hair and it won’t offer any warranty.
- Top ceramic Nano-glide plates
- Sensocare leaves hair shiny, smooth and frizz free.
- Protect the hair color from fading too quickly due to heat damage.
- Cool tip with curling edges.
- Automatic temperature adaptation
- Personalize the styling with intelligent display
- Get faster styling in fewer strokes.
- Built-in sensor to read hair type and adapt ideal temperature.
- Lightweight, easy to carry and hold.
- No warranty specified on the product.
- A little bit expensive
- Not suitable for curly thick hair.
Are you looking for a professional hair straightener to add extra shine to your hair, then you must have Philips HP8316 model. It is best to use for women who would love to change their dull, frizzy curls to straight and silky hair.
The keratin infused wider ceramic plates are designed for thick and long hair to add shine and support ultra smooth gliding. They straighten more hair at one go and stops re-straightening over and over while reducing the time taken for styling.
Static can create problem while you straighten your hair cussing frizz and tangles. For this Philips Kerashine has come up with Ionic Care formula. It conditions your hair with negatively charged ions called ionic conditioning. This is the reason behind its smooth gliding and it’s rarely seen in low-cost flat irons.
The tool heats up within 60 seconds with an optimum heat of 210 degree (no heat regulator) which will help you to achieve that salon ready hair in no time. 1.8 meter power cord length gives the maximum flexibility to style the hair in different directions. The swivel cord technology helps to rotate the cord for easy and safe handling.
The Philips Kerashine hair straightener is specially designed to match with the Indian hair types which are generally thick and wavy. The reason we place it second on the list is it lacks a heat regulator which is expected at this price. Also, the product is quite heavy and the wider plates can make your hands tired after sometime. Still it’s a very good product and will minimize friction and heat exposure, adds shine to the hair, gives salon like straightening. Go for it if you have thicker hair.
- 8 meter heat safe cord.
- Heats up in just 60 seconds.
- Keratin infused ceramic plates.
- 210°C of heating temperature.
- Backed with 2 years warranty services.
- Durable wide plates support thick and long hair.
- No auto-shut down feature.
- No heat regulator.
Havells, a popular home appliance manufacturing domestic brand has recently launched straighteners in the market, and are undoubtedly one of best budget friendly straighteners in the market till now.
The 25*120 mm ceramic coated floated plates help to glide the hair smoothly and eliminate the frizz and suit almost any hair length and texture. The smaller plates with round edges can be used as a curler. Take a hair section and wrap it around the round plate, hold it for 10 seconds and you are ready with bouncy curls without hitting the parlour.
Although it is available at inexpensive prices, offers quick straightening in 45 seconds by setting the temperature to a maximum of 210°C. The LED indicator indicates when the power is on. It has got 1.8 meter power cord and 360° swivel cord prevents tangling of wires to move freely.
Switch on the power button to start styling the thick hair. The convenient locking system keeps the straightener safe while travelling. To lock the device, gently slide the button up and down to unlock. It comes in a very elegant purple colour and is not as heavy as Philips Kerashine.
Moreover, this Havells Hair Straightener is well suited for everyday use. Further it avoids pressure on hair and prevents hair breakage to a greater extent. Most of the customer’s complaints were about build quality and the manufacturing services.
- Straightening plus curling
- 210°C of temperature settings.
- Advanced PTC heating element.
- 2 years warranty on the product
- 45 seconds of quick heating mechanism.
- Poor manufacturing services.
- Build quality is not up to the mark
You probably have heard of Syska LED lights and tubes but didn’t know they manufacture a range of personal care products for both men and women. Their first hair straightener was launched in the year 2016 and became quite popular among the young generation.
The SuperGlam straightener from the house of Syska is a cute little pink coloured straightener with a glossy finish that looks adorable and stylish at the same time. It has ceramic coated plates which glides smoothly leaving it silky straight. There is a PTC heater, a heat balancer, to distribute the heat uniformly on the plates so you can feel the straighter look after one application.
No heat regulator, but an over-heat protector will save you and your hair from getting damaged and unplanned accidents from short circuits if you ever forget to turn the device off. Furthermore, the ceramic plates are heat resistant that cools down really fast so you can never hurt yourself even by mistake.
SuperGlam with its rapid heating function gets ready-to-use in just 60 seconds allowing you to style your hair at the last minute before heading out. It is superlight weight and once locked fits in any corner of your bag. The swivel cord with 360 degree rotational head and 1.8 m long cord makes it easy to use without getting wire tangled.
SuperGlam is a full value for money product. We love how stylish it looks, the way it straightens and how light it weighs. But, you can’t use it for curling, also, the plates are not ceramic plates; they are ceramic coated which are not as superior as Philips but does its job pretty well. Apart from this, it is a quality product with all the features that one could ask for under this price range.
- Auto-off over heat protector
- Safe heat resistant plates that cools down faster
- Stylish glossy looks
- Push up lock system
- Lightweight and travel friendly
- 2 years of warranty on the product
- Cannot be used for curling like Philips
- Small straightening plates takes more time
- Plate material could be better.
Do you wish to own a straightener but every time you look at the price you get disappointed? The Kemei hair straightener will definitely amaze you with its shocking price tag.
With 4 different temperature settings it adjusts with your straightening and styling mood. Use the low heat for a more naturally straight look and high for salon like straight look. You can control heat from 160-220 degree temp.
The ceramic coated plates can straight a good amount of hair at a time without hairs sticking to the plates. Forget those days when you had to wait for 30 minutes plugging the straightener into the power cords, the ceramic plates reach up to 220 degree C in just 30 seconds.
The LED indicator lights up when the device is on, also turns off automatically when the plates reaches to the desired temperature to avoid any kind of damage by overheating. The 1.6 m long swivel cord will allow you to use it with full freedom and flexibility.
The device can do wonders for thin to medium hair that is wavy and not curly, the hair stays straight for 2 days if you stay away from humidity and don’t wash your hair. On the negative side, it doesn’t do a good job for those with heavy curly hair and it doesn’t have any warranty. But at this price point, you can’t ask for anything else. It a solid pick for the money.
- Super affordable
- Has temperature settings
- Ceramic coated plates ensures better heating
- Quick heat within 30 seconds
- Auto shut off to prevent heat damage
- No warranty on the product
- Not suitable for curly thick hair
Nova is famous for making low budget styling products with dozens of advanced features that those other brands simply fail to provide. It is the one of those straighteners that comes with a temperature control setting. You can set it at 4 different temperature level, 160, 180, 200 and 220 degree C according to your hair type and style that you prefer.
The plates are wider and ceramic coated that can straighten thicker sections at a time without sticking on the plate. Don’t need to wait for hours to get it heated, it does the job only in 30 seconds and also shuts off when the plates are heated at your pre-set temperature making sure you never manage to burn your delicate hair strands.
The 1.8 m long swivel cord provides flexibility and ensures it moves in every direction with ease while you style your hair. The LED indicator tells you whether the device is on or off.
A major drawback of this unit is its warranty, though it claims 1 year warranty but there are several terms and conditions which makes it unreliable. Otherwise, it does a pretty good job at straightening; hair stays straight until you wash it. A great choice for those who want quick straightening results without spending their whole pocket money on a straightener.
- Budget friendly
- Good quality ceramic coated plates
- 4 temperature setting levels
- Larger plates give faster straightening results
- Auto-off in case of overheating
- Heats in 30 seconds
- Body gets hot when used for long time making it difficult to hold
- Unreliable warranty
- No locking in the plates
If you are looking for a versatile product that allows you to do more than just hair straightening, then you have got to check out this product. With the Vega VHSCC-01, you can straighten, curl, and crimp your hair.
The hair styler uses flat ceramic plates to straighten your hair and give it a sleek look. Besides, you can create beautiful textures using the crimper plates and lustrous locks using the curler.
It comes with a simple slide on/off switch. You can turn on and turn off the styler by sliding the switch to the respective positions. Besides, there is another switch using which you can choose any one of the styles. Once you have chosen the style, you can lock the styler using the same switch.
As it uses ceramic-coated plates, heat gets distributed evenly which protects your hair from damage. And with the 5-ridge crimper plate, you can create enough crimps in your hair. Furthermore, it has a 3600 rotating swivel cord. This prevents unnecessary tangling of your hair.
The hair styler operates on 220-240V and consumes 45W power. It has a 2m cord. This cord length gives you the freedom to move the styler freely while styling your hair.
One of the best things about this hair styler is that it is suitable for all types of hair. Besides, you can create up to 3 styles. Whether you have thick, thin, frizzy, or curly hair, you can use this hair styler to create the perfect look you want.
Vega VHSCC-01 hair styler for women who like to experiment with their hairstyle. Whether you are going to a party or want to look more professional, you can create the perfect look using its 3 styling options. Besides, it is very affordable. With this hair styler, you get more than what you pay for. But, the one major drawback is that it does not have any advanced features.
- Good quality ceramic-coated plates
- 3 in 1 hair styler – Straightener, Curler, and Crimper.
- Simple switch to change styling mode
- 2m cord for flexibility
- 3600 swivel cord prevents hair tangling
- Suitable for all hair types
- 2-year brand warranty
- Lacks advanced features and settings
Hair Straightener Buying Guide
A good straightener does more than just straightening; it adds shine to your hair and sometimes can add volume. A quality straightener will last your for years. Consider it as an investment if you don’t want to throw it away or replace it with a new one every month. The right kit will straight your hair quickly without making it rough and brittle. When you look at their market, you find different kind of plate material with different types of shapes and sizes, if that doesn’t make you confuse then their heat settings, weight, grip, styling time and versatility of use are more than enough to make you puzzled.
So how do find the right one for your needs?
Here, in this section, we will talk everything and anything about the hair straighteners from their plate material, size and weight, temperature settings, to auto-off and lock options. Follow our guide line on straighteners to make your purchase easier and wiser.
Things to Look for when Buying a Hair Straightener
1. Consider your Hair Type
While many of us completely ignore this but we think it is the most important point to consider before you buy your straightener. There are many products with high temperature but your hair type and quality may not suit it, or may get damaged if comes in contact with such high power heat.
- Fine hair- if you have fine hair that means your hair stands are already weak. You don’t need to invest in irons with high temperature because it’s relatively easier to straighten fine hair.
- Thick hair- thick hair requires high temperature to get straightened because the hair shaft is thicker here. Choose a good straightener which offers a min of 220 degree C temperature and comes with broad plates. If you try to use smaller plates with low heat you would have to go over and over the same hair sections which can damage hair cuticles.
- Chemically treated hair– chemically treated hair always needs extra care because they get more sensitive and weak. It is better if you don’t use a straightener over them but if you really want to go for a straightener, go for something that comes with low heat settings and good quality plates. It’s recommended to never use a straightener over 230 degree C.
- Curly hair- they are the most difficult hair type to straighten. They take more time and require better heating. To make the job easier invest in a straightener with wider ceramic plates that will let you straighten larger portions of hair at a time.
- Damaged hair- its best if you don’t use a straightener at all. But if you do, do it occasionally and always use a heat protectant before you start straightening. A straightener with round edges can prevent snagging and breakage.
2. Select Right Plates According to Hair Type
The material used in the heating plates of hair straighteners must be good heat conductors to ensure that the straightener performs well. There are various types of plate materials used in straighteners. Let’s discuss each in detail!
- Solid Ceramic hair straighteners have the capacity to maintain a constant temperature throughout use and distribute even heat throughout the plate which provides a smooth and shiny finish to the hair and effectively straightens the hair in one go. Perfect for those who have frizzy or fine hair.
- Ceramic Coated Plate hair straighteners heat up rapidly and are excellent heat conductors which perform well and reduce the friction between the plates and hair thereby reducing damage. However, the coating falls off eventually exposing the inner material that doesn’t heat up evenly or doesn’t heat up at all.
- Ceramic and Teflon Coated straightener prevents snagging of the hair while it is being straightened. Teflon is a non-stick coating that also prevents the built-up of styling products on the plates. Good for people with curly and frizzy hair.
- Tourmaline Ceramic Plates come with ionic and infrared technology which maintains the health of the hair while styling it. They are pretty effective even at low temperatures. The plates produce negative ions that lock moisture in the hair and removes static charge that causes frizz. The mild gentle infra-red heat generated by the plates adds a shine to it. It’s the best choice who suffers from dull damaged hair or has really thin hair.
- Ceramic Diamond Plates provide perfect straightening in one stroke. It prevents overheating of certain spots that could result in dull and burnt hair. Diamond plates are much smoother compared to other plates which ensures seamless glide.
- Titanium Plates-heat up evenly and much faster than ceramic plates and it is the safest of metals that can be used in a straightening. Titanium is a lightweight metal which prevents arm and shoulder pain while styling the hair. They are the costliest and you don’t need titanium plate unless you have super curly and coarse hair.
2. Consider Width of the Plates
The wider the plates, the faster you can complete the whole task of straightening. Thinner plates can go closer to the scalp and works best for shorter and fine hairs as they pass less heat at a time. Women and men, who plan to travel with the kit, should opt of slightly narrower plates to fit into your travel bag. Here is a list of plate width with their perfect us
- 2 inch or more – best for straightening long and thick hair
- 1 ½ inch- best for curly and coarse hair
- 1″ inch – experiment with different hair styles- like curls, waves and perms
- Use mini plates to style very short hair, bangs and spikes
3. Look at the Temperature
Most straighteners perform best at top heat setting, but too much heat may not suit all hair types. Choose a straightener that comes with variable temperature settings which allows the user to increase and decrease the heat.
Those with thin or fine hair types or those who have damaged hair should opt for a lower temperature setting of around 180 degree C to prevent hair damage caused by heat. Those with thick hair can use the straightener at a higher heat setting of 190 to 210°C.
Sometimes, low-cost straighteners with low quality plates heats up unevenly and rapidly that leaves you with burnt hair sections.
4. Consider Weight and Grip
It is also important to consider the weight of the straightener before you buy one. Some hair straighteners are heavier than others which make them difficult to use for a prolonged period of time. A light weight hair straightener on the other hand, is easy to use, doesn’t put strain on your arms but they can get broken easily.
Another thing that many people forget to notice is the grip it has. It becomes important especially when you have small hands. If you can’t hold it properly it’s going to give you pain in the hands and you may not want to use it at times. For smaller hands either choose a smaller straightener or choose a handle that is smaller than the main body part.
5. Don’t Take Anything that is Cheap
We know it is difficult and time consuming when you stick on budget and look for a good hair straightener in the market. It’s always easy to pick something that heats up quite well and feels light on the pocket. But always remember your hair is precious and you don’t want to burn or damage it.
The cheapest models may do the work for you for the time being but they use low quality plates which spreads uneven heat which ultimately damages your hair cuticles causing breakage, split ends and sometimes leaves you with burnt hair. In our article we’ve listed the products after testing them and so you don’t need to worry about the safety and care just choose the best one depending on the requirement and hair type.
6. Brand Reputation and Warranty Matters
Apart from the features and functionalities, Brand reputation and warranty information is what you should look into the hair straighter. The popular brands offer decent performance for a long time and are covered by warranty services of 1-2 years. The benefit of getting a warranty card is it minimizes the repairing costs when the product gets damaged.
Features You Find in a Hair Straightener
- Heat Up Time
It is the time taken by the plates to heat up to the desired temperature. Most quality straighteners have a fast heat up time so that the user doesn’t have to wait too long for using the straightener.
- Steam/Wet to Straight
Some straighteners come with this feature which allows it to be used on towel dried hair. The straightener vaporizes the excess moisture from the hair using steam.
- Ionic straightening
In case of ionic straightening, the plates produce negative ions that lock in moisture in the hair and removes static charge that causes frizz.
- Far infrared heat
This type of straighteners heats the hair from inside which in turn reduces the chances of hair damage. It also yields faster results because the heat is distributed evenly.
- Flash Quick Heating Mode
Some high end hair straighteners come with quick heating mode that provides fast heating boost for a certain period of time.
- LED Indicator and Power Switch
LED indicator on the straightener alerts you when the ceramic or tourmaline plates get overheated. And power switch to turn on/off of the hair straightener.
- Auto-off Option
Automatic shut off is a must-have feature in hair straighteners that turns off the device automatically after 1hour when you forgot. Also, it saves the power consumed by the straightener.
- Push-up Button Lock
A Lock button at the end of the plates helps to clip them together so you can store them easily in your closet or take them with you when you travel.
Hair Straighteners Customer’s Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, there are more chances of damaging your hair when you use straightener on a regular basis. After having a shower bath, most women try to make their curly hair straight which results in hair loss. And also the heat distribution may not be same due to the dampness in the hair.
Hair straighteners or a flat irons work by breaking the hydrogen bonds present in the hair cuticle, which gives the hair its original shape, bended, curly and elastic. Using the heat it breaks the bonds, once it breaks, the hair becomes straight. However the bonds re-form whenever the hair comes in contact with moisture. This is why a flat iron cannot give you a forever straight hair style, it goes back to its original shape after you take a shower or go out in extreme humid weather.
Using hair straighteners on a long run may result in several side effects for those who are more sensitive to heat. Given below are some of the possible side effects of using hair straighteners at home. Check it out!
* Skin rashes and
With the availability of numerous brands available in the market, you may face difficulty in choosing the right one that matches with hair type. Given below are some of the important factors that everyone must know while buying a straightener. Have a look!
* Hair straightener type.
* Hair straightener size and weight.
* Adjustable temperature.
* Hair straightener coated material.
* Auto-off, LED indicator, LCD display.
* Price and warranty information.
Once you start using the straightener, you may likely to replace after 2 years. Because, the heating element or plate may lose the ability to heat the hair evenly and thereby diminishes the overall performance.
For attaining the best hairstyle, you need to adjust the temperature or heat settings of straightener for different hair types.
* For thin, fine or damaged hair – 300°F
* Normal, medium and wavy hair- 310-390°F
* Thick, coarse and curly hair – 390-450°F
Using hair straightener at home isn’t so hard. Here are the simple steps to guide you for straightening the hair.
* Firstly, for easy styling divide the hair into sections. And use the fingers to lift the section you want to style.
* Now, place the hair in-between the plates of Philips straightener.
* Push the device downwards, and glide through the hair.
* Repeat the process and the result will be straight, smooth and shiny hair
In most salon and parlors they use professional straighteners those are very expensive and come with high temperature heat settings which need professional hands to handle. If you try at home you may end up burning your hair. Though it is not impossible with some practice but better not try at home. Some of the reputable products can bring you the same results even at low temperature if done patiently with care.
To curl hair with a straightener choose one that has round edges to wrap your hairs around the barrel/round blades( the same you would do with a curler) hold them for few seconds depending on the temperature and hair section then leave.
If you style your hair often it is always recommended to use a heat protectant. It is a non-aerosol spray that adds a layer over the hair cuticle, then protects it and keeps the moisture locked. You can also use natural heat protectors like argan oil, coconut oil, almond oil etc.
Our top pick is Braun Satin Hair 7 SensoCare Hair Straightener. We loved it because it has full ceramic plates and straightens hair effectively with its built-in sensors that read your hair and gets adapt to ideal temperature automatically for ultimate heat protection. It can also be used as curler. It let you personalize your styling way with intelligent display to match your hair type.